The Artist's Corner

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby ari-6 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:37 pm

Hello new person.

Right about the "Always improving never mastered" thing. It kinda pisses me off. I like the idea of winning and there is no way to "win" art.
And also, figure drawing. It takes a while to get the hang of but once you've got it your work will look dramatically better. The best way to learn that would be to look at various different posses that can be found on DA or look at naked people
2014. A shitty fucking year!
Im Making This Up As I Go
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Grieffon » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:38 am

I probably shouldn't have said "master". That will take forever. Literally.

ari-6 wrote:My advice would be to set your self a personal project. Nothing big. Just something like creating a good image using a skill you are not too good with. Then once it's finished, set another one. Start small and only move on to bigger things once you start to see improvement but never set something so big that you get no where with it. These projects can be anything like fanart maybe, just aim to make each one lightly better than the last. And also the best way to notice improvement is not to asses but to just look at you current work and your old work and see how far you've come.

That's it. That's the answer I need. It's a good way to set a goal, develop multiple skills and have them work together. It's brilliant, brilliant, BRILLIANT.

Thanks a lot ari.

Postby Jesturr » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:17 am

ari-6 wrote:Hello new person.

Hello hello! There's some cool artists in this forum :0
I'll be lurking around here for a while... >w>
Bagel Eater

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:33 am

Dude, the real way to learn is to find out what works best for you. Experimenting and practicing, we're all individuals who have our own way of mastering things.

Anyways, sorry I've disappeared like since Monday, but believe it or not I'm in the hospital. Yep, doctors have finally started taking my leg problem seriously. Every night I'm in excruciating pain and keep being jacked up on morphine. We might have made a breakthrough were they've found out my pain isn't actually muscle pain, but nerve pain, so I'll be on a new pain killer, but I'll have no idea if it'll work until tonight. But even then, the huge mystery might not get solved until Tuesday, so I'll be in Aberdeen hospital till then (Shetland has a hospital, but as you can imagine, it doesn't have all the fancy equipment and resources as Aberdeen does, yeah, the flight with my leg was unpleasant). At the moment I can't walk on my leg and when I do, it's only for short periods (Like 20 paces) or the pain I'm talking about triggers.

Sadder news is my last chemo (Or what I was hoping was my last but now is most likely not) won't be on Monday, meaning I'll be having cancer longer. They did an ultra scan (I believe it's called) and found that my leg had been swollen by enlarged tumors. So yeah. They may even have to put me on a new treatment like another chemo or radiotheraphy, which is even more depressing.

Positive news is that the doctors are taking it seriously and my Ma got me a dongol so I can communicate with my friends and watch movies on netflix. Though it also means I won't be able to continue my comics and lack concentration to do any writing because of the morphine still in my body (It was only today they decided to change painkillers).

So yeah, Obsessive Freak lurks again, but can only lurk and send angry emails to your cats.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Grieffon » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:34 am

I was just asking for how to set a good goal. How to get to that goal is, of course, my way. Plus, it's never a bad idea to ask about the experience of others. You may be able to avoid mistakes they made, and derive your way from their way. After all, nothing is original, even your way of learning.

Best of luck to your treatment.

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:49 am

Sorry, I only half read what was going on. Just read how people were telling about their goals and then people replying as if that was the answer to everyone's problems. I've always been about the humanistic way of individuality where there's not one answer, unlike some behaviourist/cognitive believers. But yeah, I just have goal of making a comic. I learn what skills I need for and the style I'd want for it. I would've been more focused on stuff like that if it weren't for the cancer. I'd get into it, but I'm tired.

An obsessed freak

Postby Jesturr » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:44 pm

That's rough, Thy D:
Wish you the best, dude.
Bagel Eater

Postby Sigmas » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:39 pm

Jesus, man. I hate to hear that you're in so much pain. I hope the doctors can take care of you, and I'm glad that they're making progress on your condition. Take all the time you need to recover. I'm not really the praying type, but my thoughts are with you.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby stooie74 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:25 pm

Thy Obsessive Freak wrote:Dude, the real way to learn is to find out what works best for you. Experimenting and practicing, we're all individuals who have our own way of mastering things.

Anyways, sorry I've disappeared like since Monday, but believe it or not I'm in the hospital. Yep, doctors have finally started taking my leg problem seriously. Every night I'm in excruciating pain and keep being jacked up on morphine. We might have made a breakthrough were they've found out my pain isn't actually muscle pain, but nerve pain, so I'll be on a new pain killer, but I'll have no idea if it'll work until tonight. But even then, the huge mystery might not get solved until Tuesday, so I'll be in Aberdeen hospital till then (Shetland has a hospital, but as you can imagine, it doesn't have all the fancy equipment and resources as Aberdeen does, yeah, the flight with my leg was unpleasant). At the moment I can't walk on my leg and when I do, it's only for short periods (Like 20 paces) or the pain I'm talking about triggers.

Sadder news is my last chemo (Or what I was hoping was my last but now is most likely not) won't be on Monday, meaning I'll be having cancer longer. They did an ultra scan (I believe it's called) and found that my leg had been swollen by enlarged tumors. So yeah. They may even have to put me on a new treatment like another chemo or radiotheraphy, which is even more depressing.

Positive news is that the doctors are taking it seriously and my Ma got me a dongol so I can communicate with my friends and watch movies on netflix. Though it also means I won't be able to continue my comics and lack concentration to do any writing because of the morphine still in my body (It was only today they decided to change painkillers).

So yeah, Obsessive Freak lurks again, but can only lurk and send angry emails to your cats.

*reads Obsessive Freaks post* ......*starts to cry*
sorry i couldn't help. I wish i could talk to you and see how your doing right now.
Heres my DA page if you want to check it out > http://xstooiex.deviantart.com/

Postby Cerulean » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:13 am

Sending well wishes your way :(
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby GrimlyLoveGunner » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:58 pm

FREAAAAAK. YOU'RE KILLIN' ME HERE. DX

I knew something like this would happen. You always talk about your leg pain and I was concerned that it was continuing so unphasingly when you were almost on the last round of your chemo. But I'm thankful the doctors seem to know how to treat it. Always here to talk buddy!

@Ari

It's not hard to look up concerning English grade. I would assume, though, that it would be as an extra pro, but not necessary. Since studying for that is still a long way off for me, I haven't studied the details of the options in each process.

Concerning how to study and learn, certainly. One way isn't always THE way you can do it. That's why I hate Advice blogs, people talk about studies and their own experience and pass it off like it's the one big answer to a very precise problem. Things aren't black-and-white. Things can be difficult or a problem for different reasons, and can be solved by a million ways, and involve people who can only do so much. It's smart to take different peoples ideas to heart, but you really need to just mold what works for others into what works for you.

I read all sorts of how-to-draw books when I was little, but rarely took much of the advice they gave. But after I'd accumulated knowledge from so many different sources, I started to mix-and-match the old advice I remembered and figured out how to work it out. 8D

One thing I noticed that seemed to help me get better- I started practicing a different style, and I had to change the way I did things to make it work right. Then when I'd gotten good at it, I went back to drawing how I usually do, and found that I could blend a bit of the old and new and things finally started looking the way I wanted them too. So yeah, draw all sorts of different things, and pay attention and practice what you can't quite get. Study and practice and it'll come together eventually. But do that however you feel comfortable with. Best advice I can give.
~My Art thread with picture & info on my Fairly Odd Parents Doujinshi!~
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55061
Iwannabeyourtldrbitch

Postby ari-6 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:38 pm

I know some people have been talking about learning poses recently so I found these things that I thought might help. Tutorials and pose sheets like these were how I learned posing.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby SantaUltraDJClaus » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:09 pm

Where did you find these Ari? Just around the internet? I'm just curious is all.
Pro Snafu Mods Supporter 2k14
Just Rockin

Postby ari-6 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:21 pm

Just go on DA and type in "poses" or "posing tutorial" There are hundreds of them of all styles and body types.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby sevensoybeanz » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:06 pm

It is amazing how many guides, and tutorials you can find on DA. I learned how to make pixel icons because of it.

Postby GrimlyLoveGunner » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:36 pm

Ack, that style.... so cute.... giving... me.... diabetes.... Why do I suddenly want to cry? Dammit Ari!

Gives some helpful tips, too. 8D Thanks for posting that. To a degree, I suppose. XDDDDDDDD
~My Art thread with picture & info on my Fairly Odd Parents Doujinshi!~
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55061
Iwannabeyourtldrbitch

Postby Grieffon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:04 pm

While doing some study, I once again realized that my brush work still sucks. And I have no idea what to do. I mean, look at this picture (not mine):

Each brush stroke is very clean and distinct, and yet they still blend so well. How do they do it?

Postby ari-6 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:20 pm

I have a friend who also works in digital painting. He started drawing three years ago and he is pretty darn good. He keeps telling me about this sight called Crimson Daggers. Tells me it's almost exclusively digital painters and the whole point of it is to get advice from others on how to improve. The only catch is that they are all tryhards. Um by that I mean they are super critical and take it super seriously , none of them are there for fun and all are trying to get to a professional level. They don't really seem like my kind of people at all. There are many proffesionals who stream videos of there work for educational purposes but don't expect it to be a tutorial. If you are interested in "Hard core training" then you might want to check it out. However there is also a chance that just being there will suck all the fun out of it for you and you will end up saying "Forget this, I'm done" like I almost did after one year of uni.

edit: It just occurred to me that my friend did tell me about it but I am not sure if he uses that sight. There are other places he learns from so I could ask him if you want?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Grieffon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:14 pm

Thanks but that's probably not needed for now. I'm still too limited on certain aspects to ask for the more advanced help from sites like Crimson Daggers or Conceptart.org. For the kind of stuff I'm stuck with right now, I can still ask around on other places. I do want to give a shot at those professional sites eventually though, perhaps in another year.

Postby Jesturr » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:44 pm

Have you ever heard of Bob Ross? :O
Bagel Eater

Postby Grieffon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:56 pm

Who wouldn't know Bob Ross?

Oh, ari, I need to ask you something, since you're the only one here I know who goes to art school. What do they make you do in the beginning?

Postby ari-6 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:15 am

Oh no, that's the afro guy who my stepfather watches. How does his hair even get like that?

Huh? Well I guess I've been taking art lessons for years but only the past year have specifically studied illustration. Hmmm

In college we had cool projects like creating a book cover for a fairy tale and creating a CD cover. We had to research artists and use their techniques. We had to create a surreal pattern. There was a project where we had to creat a piece for the theme of "Inside out". The final project, we could do what ever we wanted as long as it was BIG. They were all so much fun.

Then was Uni which is not so fun.
First we had the Shorpy project where we had to recreate tonnes of black and white photographs using only pen.
We had life model drawing classes but those where a bit tricky for me. Allot of pressure.
Then we went on a field trip. We then had to make a 2 page comic inspired by the field trip. We had to creat an art piece using printing. Then we had to read a passage from a novel, in this case Frankenstein and create a single image that conveyed all the details of the passage. We had to get creative because the book specifically described Frankenstien's monster as nightmarish.
The we had the god awful poem project where we had to come up with a unique take on a nonsense rhyme which really kicked my butt. The the mother of all pieces of shit. We were given a random animal and occupation and were told to create an amusing image using traditional media.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Grieffon » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:22 am

Did they make you learn the art fundamentals (values, composition, etc)? I figure there's still life and life model drawing, but is there anything else?

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:34 am

Hey-ho, sorry it's been long since I posted. Turns out Dongles aren't all that great, I have limited time on the thing and it is as frustrating as blazes.

So anyways, also here to update people on just what's happened with my cancer. Turns out that while the chemo was working, somehow new ones were growing in the leg. So yeah, I'm off the chemo now and on a new treatment that's like chemo but the side effects are far less worse, only side effects are prickly fingers and toes, if they get too bad, they'll have to take me off that treatment and try another one.

This is actually going to take the same amount of time as it did with the chemo. I have to go through 6-9 cycles which have three weeks in between. So yeah, I'll only be able to start it as well in 5 days (They have to get it as this type of treatment is rare and unusual) so I'm in Aberdeen for until the end of the week or the end of next week.

P.S. Reason I haven't been posting that much is because Dongles are freaking unreliable and are very frustrating.

An obsessed freak

Postby Jesturr » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:29 pm

You got this, Thy! :U Kick that cancer's butt!
Bagel Eater

PreviousNext

Return to Art