The Artist's Corner

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby ari-6 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:21 pm

I have been in a perpetual state of artist block for months. I really just wanted to quit altogether because I don't enjoy doing it any more. My tutor would say the best way to get over artist block is to keep drawing.
Im Making This Up As I Go
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:33 pm
Gender: Male

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:10 am

Artist block, always been curse around me, not to me, but I have too many friends who gave up art. In fact about half my circle of friends use to be artists, however when I finally took art back up again after 10yrs, I was excited that we'd have a lot to talk about, but then the artist block spread around my friends and well, yeah, annoying. Luckily I met Stooie74 sometime after, so do have an IRL art friend in person to talk about art now, though she still doesn't criticize stuff even if you threaten to hit her with a chair (Actually I hit her with a chair anyways).

Artist block can always be found and has always been a drag. Most I can see right now is a goal. One reason I think Artist block isn't a big deal to me is because I'm an ambitious artist, I want to be on Bleedman's level, hence I'm always looking for a way to improve (Unless that way to improve is boring, than leave me out, well arts still meant to be fun). I look for where I want to improve. Right now it's shoulder joints, I realized I'm actually terrible at shoulders. I also look for tutorials or artist games as well as challenges. As I recalled, didn't you do requests Ari-6? Obligation helps to motivate. You also tried do a comic that you were really motivated in drawing. I know you did one, but that could be just said that was just not a very fun enough story for you to do (At least I'd argue that anyways, or at least you weren't excited enough to tell the story), the reason I started doing the Story of Mizuka was because I was too lazy to plug up my computer to do digital art each time, hence I motivated myself by starting a comic that has a story that I really want to tell.

Also wanted to share with you that you're more than right about the Comic San thing. I was still aggravated that it was a bad idea to use the font, that I typed up on google for alternatives... got a lot of anti-articles against Comic San and yeah, a lot of hate... at lot of hate. Apparently Comic San was invented to be a easy-going font that was readable to matter what (Except there's a problem with the G), but many people have slammed this font as it gives the impression that the writer is lazy, careless and sloppy. Really the whole of each article made me want to go back and edit all 382+ pages of the Story of Mizuka fonts. I've managed to download a program though that will let me do 'Manga' + 'Anime' fonts! Which has cheered me up, so my endeavors weren't for nothing. But yes, your advice apparently saved me Ari-6 more than you think.

Also posting to let out the terrible news I might not be around for a while. My cancer symptoms come back at the end of each cycle, most especially my leg swells and has spasms of intense pain that only last around roughly 2-5minutes, but last night (Yeah, this wakes me up every night, this was the worse though). I woke up in incredible pain and this has started in just two weeks which is a lot sooner than when they normally come back. I've been waiting for an MIR scan for five weeks now to get answers to why this keeps happening, but my Ma's holding onto hope she can check me into the hospital for tonight, that way it should shove me up the queue to actually get me an MIR scan tomorrow.
The whole leg pain was why I didn't put up anything yesterday (That and I got distracted and went to watch dvds with a friend).

Thought I'd share that while I was at it.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:48 am
Location: Shetland Isles
Gender: Male

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby stooie74 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:20 am

Thy Obsessive Freak wrote:Luckily I met Stooie74 sometime after, so do have an IRL art friend in person to talk about art now, though she still doesn't criticize stuff even if you threaten to hit her with a chair (Actually I hit her with a chair anyways)


Sorry, I'm not good at criticism, I usually point out the good things when it comes to art. When I do have to criticise I just say stuff like 'you need more practice with anatomy' or backgrounds or anything like that, I'm not someone to go into much detail. And I'm already too critical of my own art so I don't know if I should be one to give critiques or advice to others when I don't have much confidence. :|
And for the record, this is how it pretty much goes down when I don't agree with Obsessive Freak.
Image


On the topic of Comic sans. I still don't quite understand why comic sans is so hated. I know Freak just explained but it still doesn't make sense to me. As long as people can read it does it matter? I understand if people use it in title or sound effects THEN it would be considered a bad idea. Titles and such should have a somewhat fancy, eye catching or dramatic font. But texts in speech bubbles....I don't really see the problem. I know a lot say that it is overused in that area but I wouldn't dub that as artists being lazy or sloppy. Only when its wrongly used theres a problem, like what I said about titles and stuff but I think all fonts can be used wrongly, not just comic sans. But I really don't think this font deserves all this hate. Its an easy and simple font to read.
I use Comic sans in my comic, but of course thats just something I'm doing for fun so I don't think it should be taken so seriously. I'm not quite as ambitious as Freak, I'm not really trying to succeed at anything but I do put effort into my work. If people want to dub me as lazy just for the font I use so be it.

On the other hand I don't know anything and I suppose I should be glad I didn't use that font in the Freaky Nick comic. :unsure: I only used what I thought looked best.

Thy Obsessive Freak wrote:Also posting to let out the terrible news I might not be around for a while. My cancer symptoms come back at the end of each cycle, most especially my leg swells and has spasms of intense pain that only last around roughly 2-5minutes, but last night (Yeah, this wakes me up every night, this was the worse though). I woke up in incredible pain and this has started in just two weeks which is a lot sooner than when they normally come back. I've been waiting for an MIR scan for five weeks now to get answers to why this keeps happening, but my Ma's holding onto hope she can check me into the hospital for tonight, that way it should shove me up the queue to actually get me an MIR scan tomorrow.


Please be OK! :'(
Last edited by stooie74 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
Heres my DA page if you want to check it out > http://xstooiex.deviantart.com/
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:58 pm
Gender: Female

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby ari-6 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:26 am

Thy Obsessive Freak wrote:Artist block can always be found and has always been a drag. Most I can see right now is a goal. One reason I think Artist block isn't a big deal to me is because I'm an ambitious artist, I want to be on Bleedman's level, hence I'm always looking for a way to improve (Unless that way to improve is boring, than leave me out, well arts still meant to be fun). I look for where I want to improve. Right now it's shoulder joints, I realized I'm actually terrible at shoulders. I also look for tutorials or artist games as well as challenges. As I recalled, didn't you do requests Ari-6? Obligation helps to motivate. You also tried do a comic that you were really motivated in drawing. I know you did one, but that could be just said that was just not a very fun enough story for you to do (At least I'd argue that anyways, or at least you weren't excited enough to tell the story), the reason I started doing the Story of Mizuka was because I was too lazy to plug up my computer to do digital art each time, hence I motivated myself by starting a comic that has a story that I really want to tell.

Hmmm. I am struggling to remember which comic you were talking about. I have made a couple in the past but none that I was really excited about. Also I heard that "obligation" thing just yesterday when I read it on a "How not to be lazy" article. I used to be very ambitious but that has changed in the past year to the point where I wouldn't care if I never drew again except for the fact that I have no other skills. I think the problem is that I have so many obligations that I just get overwhelmed and don't feel like doing any of them. So I am trying to remind my self that drawing used to be fun by drawing anything I want whenever I have the chance.

The problem for you is that practice is often boring. I can understand your thinking "If it isn't fun then there is no point in doing it" Unfortunately I don't have the choice to think that way. For me it's more like "Even if it's not fun, even if it's never fun again, I still have to do it".

About the comic sans thing. If you are not aiming to be professional and just do it for fun like Stooie then there really isn't a problem but when you start learning about it, comic sans really is a death trap. I always thought it looked childish but I think the reason it is lazy is because people just see "Comic" and think "Yep, that's perfect" without really thinking what font suits their art style. In class they made us make are own fonts, mine looks like crap.
Im Making This Up As I Go
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:33 pm
Gender: Male

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:58 pm

stooie74 wrote:
Sorry, I'm not good at criticism, I usually point out the good things when it comes to art. When I do have to criticise I just say stuff like 'you need more practice with anatomy' or backgrounds or anything like that, I'm not someone to go into much detail. And I'm already too critical of my own art so I don't know if I should be one to give critiques or advice to others when I don't have much confidence. :|


Wasn't meaning to be critical Stooie was just trying to slip in how I hit you with a chair somewhere.

stooie74 wrote:And for the record, this is how it pretty much goes down when I don't agree with Obsessive Freak.
Image


Awesome artwork Stooie. though you forgot to do it with a smile on my face.

stooie74 wrote:On the topic of Comic sans. I still don't quite understand why comic sans is so hated. I know Freak just explained but it still doesn't make sense to me. As long as people can read it does it matter? I understand if people use it in title or sound effects THEN it would be considered a bad idea. Titles and such should have a somewhat fancy, eye catching or dramatic font. But texts in speech bubbles....I don't really see the problem. I know a lot say that it is overused in that area but I wouldn't dub that as artists being lazy or sloppy. Only when its wrongly used theres a problem, like what I said about titles and stuff but I think all fonts can be used wrongly, not just comic sans. But I really don't think this font deserves all this hate. Its an easy and simple font to read.
I use Comic sans in my comic, but of course thats just something I'm doing for fun so I don't think it should be taken so seriously. I'm not quite as ambitious as Freak, I'm not really trying to succeed at anything but I do put effort into my work. If people want to dub me as lazy just for the font I use so be it.


Yeap.

ari-6 wrote:Hmmm. I am struggling to remember which comic you were talking about. I have made a couple in the past but none that I was really excited about. Also I heard that "obligation" thing just yesterday when I read it on a "How not to be lazy" article. I used to be very ambitious but that has changed in the past year to the point where I wouldn't care if I never drew again except for the fact that I have no other skills. I think the problem is that I have so many obligations that I just get overwhelmed and don't feel like doing any of them. So I am trying to remind my self that drawing used to be fun by drawing anything I want whenever I have the chance.

The problem for you is that practice is often boring. I can understand your thinking "If it isn't fun then there is no point in doing it" Unfortunately I don't have the choice to think that way. For me it's more like "Even if it's not fun, even if it's never fun again, I still have to do it".


True, art needs to be fun or why do it, so see the point about the obligation thing.Though that's contradicted technically (Maybe just tired and not putting it together) that even it's never fun, you still have to do it. That's a way of thinking I do not like. Find a way to make it fun. People tell me to do realistic drawings to improve my anatomy and then present me with all these stupid pose maniac sites (They're not really stupid, but people who try to cram them down me are) and normally spit it back in their faces. I make fun though by drawing my favourite WWE wrestlers or just throwing aside realism all together and just look at how other artists do anatomy. Got a story that gave me this mindframe, but it's a long story.
Idea is that funner the practice is, the more alert you are, the more frequent you do it and the more motivated to get it finished. So yeah, that's why I'm not a fan of what you just mentioned. You don't have to do it especially if you don't want to and if you have to for some reason, at least make it fun. Yeah I've heard of suffering from your art, but then why do something if it's to make you suffer? I do it because I wanted to.

ari-6 wrote:About the comic sans thing. If you are not aiming to be professional and just do it for fun like Stooie then there really isn't a problem but when you start learning about it, comic sans really is a death trap. I always thought it looked childish but I think the reason it is lazy is because people just see "Comic" and think "Yep, that's perfect" without really thinking what font suits their art style. In class they made us make are own fonts, mine looks like crap.


Well, I want to make comics to entertain people and the article was very persuading. Like you said, you thought it looked childish. Didn't strike anything positive to mind? Either way, better to play it safe and I have found a new font that I might prefer over the Comic San font, show you when I post my next page of the Story of Mizuka... Right now I'm on Morphine and I'm so... tired... so very tired.

Anyways, had to wait 3hrs in A&E, yeah inconvenience at it's finest as an emergency just randomly happened and yeah. Issue was no one told us. Me and my Ma sat in the hospital figured they were just having such a time looking for my files, being that it was a Sunday and most people who would've had it would've been off. So yeah, worse part was that my leg wasn't happy waiting 3hrs and was in agony while I was there... which is why I'm on morphine... hi flying dragon... could you come down so I can feed you a cookie?
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:48 am
Location: Shetland Isles
Gender: Male

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby sevensoybeanz » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:19 pm

Well, when ever I have artist block I just draw whatever comes to mind, mostly dumb stuff, but it helps.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:23 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby Kid J » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:26 pm

I feel you soybeanz, the days that i do draw something i like its usually something off the top of my head but for me though i feel like being creative is a chore, originality is such a foreign concept to individuals (ironic because individuals are suppose to be original) what they consider an original idea is a rehash of someone elses.
offline
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:09 pm
Gender: Male

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby sevensoybeanz » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:55 pm

It's hard to make something "original" nowadays because everything has been done. It's all about the execution now.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:23 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby ari-6 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:16 pm

In class they taught us some trick for coming up with new ideas but I am really bad at it, at the end of the process I can't tell any more if what I am looking at is good or not. Basically you write down the subject, then you write down whatever words you can think of that are associated with that subject that come to mind. Then you write down things associated with those things. Then you pick three things from that list and string those into an idea, or something. I can't remember very well how it goes, I was always crap at it.
Im Making This Up As I Go
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:33 pm
Gender: Male

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby sevensoybeanz » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:31 pm

Most methods don't work with everyone. Next thing you could probably do is something obscure, and weird.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:23 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby Kid J » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:51 am

ari-6 wrote:In class they taught us some trick for coming up with new ideas but I am really bad at it, at the end of the process I can't tell any more if what I am looking at is good or not. Basically you write down the subject, then you write down whatever words you can think of that are associated with that subject that come to mind. Then you write down things associated with those things. Then you pick three things from that list and string those into an idea, or something. I can't remember very well how it goes, I was always crap at it.

But with that i feel like it forces you to be creative, ive had teachers tell me the same process and just like you i cant tell if the end results are good or bad.
sevensoybeanz wrote:It's hard to make something "original" nowadays because everything has been done. It's all about the execution now.

I feel the same way, i mean DC has been retelling the same stories since the 1930's and people still enjoy them because the execution is well done, (i mean for the most part anyway) but yea my rants over about trying to be creative and original.
offline
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:09 pm
Gender: Male

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby Grieffon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:12 pm

There's something I want to say about "art" and "fun". In the beginning, I tried to learn art the wrong way - reading and watching people talking about art instead of actually doing it, but thanks to that, I know some interesting thing about the process of making art.

In art (or any activity really), there are two aspects: doing and practicing. How fun doing art is depends on how good you are. The more things you can draw and the better you can make them look, the more fun you have. In turn, how good you are depends on how much you practice. Unfortunately, practicing is never meant to be fun. Do you know what effective practices is? It's to do things you are not good at, over and over again, then have someone, preferably not yourself, point out the mistakes, rinse and repeat. If you can enjoy that, you're crazy.

"If it's not fun, don't do it" is not going to help you. Everything comes with a price, so you can't expect to have it easy and still become good. No pain, no gain. I already accept the fact that within the first year or two that I learn art, it will rarely be fun. Why do I do it? Because a few years of frustrating learning in exchange for a life long joy is a good trade.

@Thy Obsessive Freak
Hope you get better. When you get back, if Stooie is too kind and you need criticism, I maaaay be able to offer some. Don't expect encouraging praises though.

@ari
How long have you been making art and how long did you not draw before then? If there's a gap between when you drew as a kid and when you started drawing again, you having difficulty in generating ideas can be explained.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:12 am
Gender: Male

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby ari-6 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:15 pm

There was no gap between drawing as a child and drawing now. What I meant when I said I had difficulty coming up with ideas: That is mainly in my current course. I have never had a problem thinking of what I would like to draw and what I think looks good. It is just that in my course they look for originality and the depth of your idea generation and they also call for you to show your work like in a math class. Essentially, they give you a subject and the first ten or so ideas you have you are expected to dismiss. If you come up with an idea without using a creative process then that idea is predictable and uninteresting and you must not use it. The line of thinking is that ideas may not come to you but if you have a creative process then you can consistently generate ideas that have not been done before.

An example of how I failed: We were given the task of creating a comedic scene with an anthropomorphic character created from an animal picked at random. I picked an ostrich, there are few creatures I can hate more. At first I thought about a four panel comic about a self hating ostrich. Then we had to pick a profession at random and I picked police officer. I was thinking about doing a sketch with 70's buddy cops but that was cut. In the end what I was left with was absolute crap and I will admit that it was crap because I stopped giving a shit fairly quickly "I am going to hate it no matter what I do so why bother wasting effort". So I ended up failing that and I have never been able to make a creative process work for me.
Im Making This Up As I Go
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:33 pm
Gender: Male

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby Grieffon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:44 pm

If you come up with an idea without using a creative process then that idea is predictable and uninteresting and you must not use it. The line of thinking is that ideas may not come to you but if you have a creative process then you can consistently generate ideas that have not been done before.

That sounds really stupid, but I probably should at least know what this is before I judge. What is this "creative process" that they are enforcing?
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:12 am
Gender: Male

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby ari-6 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:55 pm

It is kind of hard to explain. I never got the hang of it and so I never committed it to memory. It was created by the creative counsel (Sounds corny but it is a real thing, at least I think that's what there called) and the diagram looks like two diamond shapes. I shall see if I can find my paper on it.
Im Making This Up As I Go
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:33 pm
Gender: Male

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby Grieffon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:04 pm

I don't think creativity is something that can be bound to some definite linear process.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:12 am
Gender: Male

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby ari-6 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:21 pm

It is a process. It is not definite and no one's creativity is bound to it. However when you work in the area that I intend to, creativity is not something you can do only when you feel creative. Even if you hate the project, you have to produce results. A creative process is something you need in order to produce results quickly and efficiently. It is the most unemotional area of art there is next to technical drawings which is part of why I used to like it. All the other courses were more like "Throw a bucket of paint at a canvas. Now tell me how that makes you feel" Makes me want to rip the tutors hair out.
Im Making This Up As I Go
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:33 pm
Gender: Male

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby ULTRADJ » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:56 pm

Well, I have said in the past I would like to draw better, and between certain obligations in my life, I'm starting to practice. Note that I do not want to do art as a profession, writing and creating stories like scripts are more suited for me, but I would like to be able to draw decently because, well, I want to. I'm going to try to self teach myself a bit using some DA sources probably and youtube videos I came across here when people were giving advice (which I could use more of since it never hurt). The type of style, if that's what you want to call it, that I would like to achieve is cartoons and manga type stuff. I'm not aiming to be a bad ass artist, but I'd like to do this as something of a hobby if that makes sense.
When I have something clever I'll put it here. XP
Just Rockin
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:22 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby GrimlyLoveGunner » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:26 pm

Art, writing and my Comic-making are all hobbies, I'd die before I became a professional artist, the pressure and stress would kill me. XD

I could always do some sort of writing in the future, though mainly I'm aiming to be a librarian. But I always want to do cute silly morbid little fancomics. It's too fun to come up with the stories for them. XD

So your problem Ari is coming up with creative ideas? Hn, one thing I can suggest it to come up with something that's really interesting to you. But then look at it objectively, see all the flaws you or your tutors might view as not creative/good/relevant enough. Then build new versions of those parts, and in the process, turn the original idea into something completely different, that relates only secretly to the original.... Uhhh... Do you get my point? XD

Anyway- Thank's for the elbow-flow-instead-of-wrist tip guys. It's actually working quite well. 8D

I'mma still needing to practicing perspectives though. I can draw characters fine with them but then I have to draw a coinciding background area for them. I always draw characters in full first and then build a background around them, which I'm sure is improper.

But I guess I just need to rough-sketch the entire scene, character and background before I start really drawing. Ack, I hope it's not time-comsuming. XD Anyone have any ideas?

@Freak

Damn boy, you keep worrying me. Hope you're alright, focus on recovering, don't worry about us, we'll still be here later. XD I don't like thinking you might feel obliged to get right back into working after so much physical stress. So you better not be doing that! I'm fussy, put yourself first or else I'll boat across the pond and Nurse Ratched all over you!

(Looks up Nurse Ratched on Wikipedia)

HOLY SHIT My aunt always made her sound endearing! DX
Image
~My Art thread with picture & info on my Fairly Odd Parents Doujinshi!~
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55061
Iwannabeyourtldrbitch
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:52 pm
Location: Behind you. Dumbass
Gender: Female

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby ari-6 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:04 pm

GrimlyLoveGunner wrote:Art, writing and my Comic-making are all hobbies, I'd die before I became a professional artist, the pressure and stress would kill me. XD
It sounds like you are a much smarter person than I. Do you mind if I ask what kind of qualifications are required for a librarian? It sounds strangely peaceful

GrimlyLoveGunner wrote:So your problem Ari is coming up with creative ideas? Hn, one thing I can suggest it to come up with something that's really interesting to you. But then look at it objectively, see all the flaws you or your tutors might view as not creative/good/relevant enough. Then build new versions of those parts, and in the process, turn the original idea into something completely different, that relates only secretly to the original.... Uhhh... Do you get my point? XD
Yes, I do. That is pretty much what we did. Had an idea already and try to make it fit the grid. But both of my tutors have been dealing with our kind for over a decade. They know how we think, you really can't fool them and they can tell when you are not following something.


GrimlyLoveGunner wrote:But I guess I just need to rough-sketch the entire scene, character and background before I start really drawing. Ack, I hope it's not time-comsuming. XD Anyone have any ideas?


Yes. This is what you are supposed to do. Draft every page before hand. This is what I do. Allot. If anyone had any questions about comic pages or needed advice about page lay out specifically then I would offer any help I could.
Im Making This Up As I Go
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:33 pm
Gender: Male

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby GrimlyLoveGunner » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:20 pm

To have the real ranking of a librarian, you really need to get a degree in Library science, as modern-day Librarians have lots of responsibility in arranging club activities and events, teaching older people how to use their technology, all ontop of cataloging library and gaining resources for the community. Sometimes holding private tutoring classes, all depending on the type of library you work at. Less stressful then some other jobs, but it's not just sitting behind a desk speaking quietly all day. XD

Either way, I gotsta hunker down and study lots for math and science, as I have nearly zero knowledge in both and I need a GED before I can start seriously looking for colleges. Not to mention the money and resources I'd need to attend one.

Due to my current living situation I'm pretty much just ~stuck~ drawing and writing at my leisure. Peaceful(?), but stressful and restless in its own way. DX

Anyway- yeah, I generally do rough drafts on a separate paper for serious comic-writing. But it's really just background type and stick figures in poses. I should get used to drafting more detailed placements actually on what I'm drawing on. Though placing perspective points can be a problem, since I draw on my lap on a makeshift art board. (A decorative coffee table with no legs) So there isn't much room to accurately measure the placement of some things. >.<
Image
~My Art thread with picture & info on my Fairly Odd Parents Doujinshi!~
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55061
Iwannabeyourtldrbitch
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:52 pm
Location: Behind you. Dumbass
Gender: Female

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby ari-6 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:30 pm

GrimlyLoveGunner wrote: Less stressful then some other jobs, but it's not just sitting behind a desk speaking quietly all day. XD
But that is what made it sound so wonderful. Do you need an A-level in English to get a library degree? I was thinking if I tried hard enough I could probably get that degree but not if it required A-level english. I already infodumped everything from Highschool english so it would just be too hard.

GrimlyLoveGunner wrote:Anyway- yeah, I generally do rough drafts on a separate paper for serious comic-writing. But it's really just background type and stick figures in poses. I should get used to drafting more detailed placements actually on what I'm drawing on. Though placing perspective points can be a problem, since I draw on my lap on a makeshift art board. (A decorative coffee table with no legs) So there isn't much room to accurately measure the placement of some things. >.<

Accurate measurements are not necessary but your setup does not sound ideal. Still I would offer any advice on drafting and layout.
Im Making This Up As I Go
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:33 pm
Gender: Male

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby Grieffon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:36 pm

How do I set a realistic expectation in art progression? It would be easier if I can set some definite goal that I can motivate myself to reach, but not too easy that I would slack off, and not too hard that it would be discouraging. I understand that everyone is different, but it shouldn't be that much of a difference. Would "mastering perspective in 1 week" be realistic? How about "learning human anatomy in 1 month with 1 hour of practice a day"?
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:12 am
Gender: Male

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby ari-6 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:12 pm

Wow. That question is pretty difficult to answer. The important thing to remember is that the better you get the harder it is to get better. For example I felt like I improved allot over the course of a year and then not at all the following year. Also "Mastering" anything in a week or even a month is impossible. Can you become proficient at something in a month? Yes. But mastering anything takes years. And if you try to focus on "Mastering" any one thing then you just create weakness with your work.

For example, I thought I would master lines before moving on to something. But the problem with this approach is that you are very skilled in one thing and your other skills become substandard. Right now I am pretty good at lines but suck at colouring. If I continue down that road then I become excellent with line work but my other weaknesses become more obvious and let down my work.

Having a monthly review session session to see how far you have come can be a good idea but you must prepare to be frequently disappointed before long. And once you start making it all about results and improvement and face disappointment then you will suck all the fun out of it and stop liking what you do.

My advice would be to set your self a personal project. Nothing big. Just something like creating a good image using a skill you are not too good with. Then once it's finished, set another one. Start small and only move on to bigger things once you start to see improvement but never set something so big that you get no where with it. These projects can be anything like fanart maybe, just aim to make each one lightly better than the last. And also the best way to notice improvement is not to asses but to just look at you current work and your old work and see how far you've come.
Im Making This Up As I Go
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:33 pm
Gender: Male

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby Jesturr » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:28 pm

I think it's cool to see people set specific goals like learning perspective and anatomy and stuff! That's the real way to learn, I feel. :D
Like Ari said, though, don't expect yourself to master anything in any span of time. Art isn't something you 'master', you are constantly improving yourself as an artist the more you draw! So, maybe instead of "master perspective in a week," do something like "from now on, everything I draw will have a horizon and 2 vanishing points" and your perspective should improve with practice the more you draw!
Bagel Eater
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:39 am
Location: Behind you!
Gender: Male

PreviousNext

Return to Art

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests