The Artist's Corner

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The art discussion thread.

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:20 pm

That's cool Sigment, with this chemo, I haven't been able to proof read my work, so having a proof reader would be great. Also great that Snow Diggity and Grimly Love Gunner are both working on the art.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby GrimlyLoveGunner » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:22 pm

I've been thinking about it all week. Me and Snow have very opposite drawing styles. (He's got cool western-comic marvel superhero styles and I have fluffy sparkle-eyes shojo anime style) But I'll just be good with doing whatever Snow doesn't feel up to doing. It would be great if I could do the rough sketches and then Snow could fine-tune whatever I screw up and color it. Since I'm the one with an inappropriate amount of free time, XD

(And I'm not that confident in my coloring yet. Plus it takes me forever cuz I've using Gimp with just my laptops touchpad. >.< I'mma try and get a drawing tablet for Christmas this year.)
~My Art thread with picture & info on my Fairly Odd Parents Doujinshi!~
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55061
Iwannabeyourtldrbitch

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:25 pm

Awesome, been waiting for yar response, but again, up to between you and Snow how you divide the work, I'm just happy to have you both onboard working on this and helping. I've sent you all the project information into your message to read up what's the plan so far.

An obsessed freak

Re: w00t Welcome to the Art Forum! [+Jibba Jabba]

Postby Hiroko » Sat May 03, 2014 10:30 pm

Hokay, just a heads up, but we've decided to merge Jibba-Jabba with The Art Discussion Thread. So, this is now a combined thread of the two. If you look back about 7 or so pages (starting from this post in particular), you'll find the conversations of the two threads scrambled together, due to their timestamps and of the differing topics that occurred in the two.

So...there ya go.

Also, as mentioned before, expect a bit of clean-up of the art forum. This shouldn't really affect people much, as we'll just be clearing out old stickied threads and cleaning them up or creating new ones, things like that.

This has been a PSA. *nods, nods*
The Sentimental One

Re: The Artist's Corner

Postby Blood Lord » Mon May 12, 2014 6:06 pm

I sense potential grumblings.

I received a PM earlier this week(end) regarding the construction of a thread for a collaboration. We don't have anything official on rules for collaborations for art. It's never really been an issue and most of them are situation. Meaning that there are a lot of factors that make one collaboration different from another one. the needs of one might not meet the needs of another.

ANYWAYS, what I wanted to do, since this is basically a call made as a mod sees fit right now, is to see if there is any interest in making a set of guidelines that can be adjusted for collaboration projects. There are a few issues, such as having one art thread per person, giving credit where it is do, repetitive posts, etc.

If there is interest in a collaboration guideline, then I'll work something into the Art Section rules as an amendment. If not, then I will continue to approve or deny them as is seen fit.

Postby ari-6 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:51 am

Collaboration thread huh? That sounds interesting I guess. I have just been using the PM's to talk to other people but if for some reason, a group of people might want their group work to get more attention or feedback it could be useful I guess. It sounds like a neat idea but if it were something really difficult to do or if it were only ever going to be used once then I guess it could be more trouble than t is worth. Or at least that's what I thought anyway. Sorry if it sounds too presumptuous of me.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Blood Lord » Mon May 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Since its been a week, and there's been no more feedback in creating anything that would help people create collaboration threads, I will thus assume that it's not a matter of interest, and will not pursue it further.

The rules will remain the same then.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Why was the Post Your Art thread locked?
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:19 pm

Because it is literally serving no purpose right now, other than to inform WesleyInc of stuff he already knows.

In all seriousness, I don't know why its around, unless people want to display one-shots, in which case, this thread is fine for that.

Postby sevensoybeanz » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:52 pm

Hey guys (needs to socialize more).

Postby Hiroko » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:04 am

Hi there. How're you?
The Sentimental One

Postby sevensoybeanz » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:50 pm

I'm good, I'm good.

Postby Hiroko » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:50 pm

That's good. :0

So...how's it going, with your art and all?
The Sentimental One

Postby sevensoybeanz » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:03 pm

It's doing pretty okay. I can freely work now without worrying about school that's for sure.

Postby Hiroko » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:47 pm

That's good. Does that mean you're currently on break now or something?
The Sentimental One

Postby sevensoybeanz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:00 am

Indeed it does.

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:46 pm

Is it just me or has the art section slowed down quite a bit from the glory it use to be. Peeps like Mad-Mutt and Ari-6 have noticably slowed down and there's no longer a few artists like OctoberScarf and Morpheaus have just plain simple gone, also not sure about Cerulean and Ru Xi- Forgotten her user name I don't know about. That and there seems to be less commenting (Not just on my thread), where before I thought it was pretty easy to get a nice comment.

Concern for me, I only post my art on three different sites and this one for me is the best. People say plenty about my work and I also get the most effort into getting feedback from people and it's the most diverse and open (By that, you get artists who have singlemind frame of how you should learn and discriminate against anyone who tries to learn any other way that makes them feel comfortable). It's great I can always count on GrimlyLoveGunner and Sigment, also Stooie74 (Although she never critiques my work... praises what she likes though, so can't really complain) for feedback. But I would like it if the art section got some life back into it to what I remember.

Nothing can probably be done about it, but thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone else felt my sentiments.

An obsessed freak

Postby ari-6 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:14 pm

Um..... Meep.

Sorry about that. I just checked and my last update was a month ago. I just don't enjoy art as much as I used to.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:53 pm

Thy Obsessive Freak wrote:Is it just me or has the art section slowed down quite a bit from the glory it use to be.

Not my problem.

Thy Obsessive Freak wrote: But I would like it if the art section got some life back into it to what I remember.

Can't have what we all want.

Thy Obsessive Freak wrote:Nothing can probably be done about it, but thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone else felt my sentiments.

We'll see what another Art Contest does.

It's also summer, which means people are out of school and enjoying their break, thus not drawing as much. Interests and attention also fluctuate with people having a greater interest to draw at certain points than others. I am sure that your pleasure and security of mind is a high priority to them, and they will get back to drawing as soon as they can.

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:40 pm

Wow, remind me to keep my opinions to myself.

An obsessed freak

Postby Bad Dragon » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:08 pm

I really need to check the art threads more. :P

Not sure if this can still be discussed or not but regarding collaborations, I think it would be nice to allow exceptions to the one thread rule, especially if it's a comic collab or series. It would make it easier for readers if all the art for the particular collab was in one place and I think credit would be easier to give that way since you can state it in the first post (you could state it in every post made instead I guess but that's repetitive and and a pain for lazy artists (such as myself)- and pretty much what you would have to do if Collabs weren't allowed their own threads).

Since the area is so strict on threads per person I would imagine if this happened a collab thread would need to mod/admin approval. It would create clutter if people started collab threads and they ended up not going anywhere after a couple of posts.
Imperfection is Beauty, Madness is Genius, and it's Better to be Absolutely Ridiculous than Absolutely Boring.

My Twitch Account + My Anime/Gaming FB Page
Check out my Art Thread! Mostly Mass Effect for now but I'll be throwing in some more variation soon.
The Song of my People

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:29 pm

Fatality Ninja wrote:a collab thread would need to mod/admin approval

We'd need to add a rule amendment explaining the rules and functions of a collab thread.

I don't want to do that if only, like, four people do it. It's more work for me than its worth to entertain a couple of people's fantasies on a collab thread. I need to know if this is something that really wants to be done, and if its going to be used well. If it's made and just sits on the shelf to gather dust, I'm going to be in an even worse mood than I'm normally in because my time just got wasted.

I don't see the problem why one of the members of the group, perhaps the more artistically involved person, posts it in their art thread. Credit is still going to go to whoever makes the thread. Just put in the description on page uploads that its a collab project. "This comic was made in joint with <insert names>."

Thy Obsessive Freak wrote:Wow, remind me to keep my opinions to myself.

You posted a query looking for people's opinions and if they shared the same feelings you did. Don't get butt hurt when someone doesn't hold a good response to yours.

Would you rather me lie to you?

Because I would much rather tell you what is on my mind. The sections go through periods of growth and decline, just like the stock market. Some people will return, others will not. The only solution I have to that is Art Contests, and being friendly to everyone that posts their art in here.

Your post laments concern over feedback on your work, that you might feel that you aren't getting enough criticisms or "good jobs". Which is why I responded harshly as I did. I saw it as a lament that "not enough people are looking at my stuff, we need more people to look at my stuff". Is that your intent? Probably not, but it came that way.
Last edited by Blood Lord on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the mean parts

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:28 am

Guardian wrote:Your post laments concern over feedback on your work, that you might feel that you aren't getting enough criticisms or "good jobs". Which is why I responded harshly as I did. I saw it as a lament that "not enough people are looking at my stuff, we need more people to look at my stuff". Is that your intent? Probably not, but it came that way.

A most dark and upsetting assumption that this is about me not getting enough opinion for my work when I get plenty over on other forums. Yes, who wouldn't want more comments, but I bet I could just find another community. What I have trouble finding is an art community that I like, that's friendly and gets on and actually tries to support one another, where the comments aren't simply, your art is nice or good. But I get people who actually point out flaws and think of ways to improve, as in actually critiquing, which I have a tough time finding, so is it so wrong that I moan and whine about something like that?

But no, sorry if it did come out that way though, that I am suddenly an artist that only cares about attention, but it wasn't what it was meant to and did you really have to be that aggressive about it? After all I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being ungrateful towards GrimlyLoveGunner and Sigment and thought to tease Stooie how she refuses to give criticism.

An obsessed freak

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:37 pm

But I get people who actually point out flaws and think of ways to improve, as in actually critiquing, which I have a tough time finding, so is it so wrong that I moan and whine about something like that?

Wanting critique is fine. I post that on all my work. But my goal to increase membership activity in the Art And Literature Section isn't to fulfill self-centered goals of having people look at my stuff. Which is how your post and justifications of it originally came off to me until you backpedaled.

It's to get more people involved in these sections. More presentations, more activity, not to satisfy a single want; which will come as people come and if they have interest in your work. It's simply math more people = increased possibility of feedback. But that side effect cannot be your goal or your purpose is self fulfilling and looses its nobility.

did you really have to be that aggressive about it?

I gave you my opinion in a matter you brought up. Do you want a fucking apology or something over how I feel about something? Fine then, I'm sorry that my opinion over this matter is hostile.

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:10 pm

You really thinking it's just about self-want now? It isn't just that it's both. Again, I'm not going to pretend that I'm wanting more help for my work, but I'm also just wanting an art community for fellow artists to go to, it's why I brought Stooie74 here and why I've tried to bring others. But do you have to look at the self-centered part so negatively.

But really you just keep looking at everything I do negatively and are so ready to be aggressive. For once though you've apologized for being so aggressive. But you may as well do us both a favour and just add me to your foe list so you don't have to see my posts anymore or if you need me to I can just leave the forum. I'll still have my friends at least and won't have to put up with this hostility you have against me.

An obsessed freak

PreviousNext

Return to Art