The Artist's Corner

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: w00t Welcome to the Art Forum! [+Jibba Jabba]

Postby Black » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:15 pm

Such enthusiasm, Vegedus. Pencils should be fine for the auditions, I understand your situation.
Thanks, Zoul. I'm glad you like the idea.

So... While I work on the story a bit and put together what we agreed on, I just thought I'd make a list of people participating in this OCT so far:
Organization, commissions, judges:
Me (Black), Aneri, Shoi;
Contestants (pre-audition):
Coos, Vegedus, BrokenLine,;

Of course, we could use more people in organization and we should get more contestants when the auditions are open, I just thought I'd summarize it.

So... Which commission of the 3 mentioned would you like to win most? I need a way to organize them by placement and I think it would be best to do it according to contestants' preferences (they are trying to win them, so I think they should decide which one they'd like most).
Click to visit my art thread.

Postby Vegedus » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:03 am

1. Aneri, 2. Shoi, 3. Black.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Chuckledarkly » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:32 am

hey black do me a favor pm me when the contest begins? In case I don't read this thread and miss it! XD

thanky.
Check Out My Art

-----> viewtopic.php?t=23012Cheak <-----

Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen.
Proud Member of BEOS

Postby Black » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:54 pm

Thank you for your input, Vegedus. If no-one objects to that, we'll use that placement organization.

Don't worry, BL. There'll be an auditions thread made when we're ready to begin and you'll have a month to get your audition ready. Nevertheless, I'll still PM you just in case.

Postby Black » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:52 pm

ZoulArt wrote:I've rather have
1.Black
2.Aneri
3.Shoi
But that's mostly cause I've already received a drawing once from Aneri and Shoi.

So I take it you're interested in competing, right?

I've got an idea about prizes. How about we let the winners decide whose commission they'd like, with 1st place winner choosing 1st, 2nd place winner after and 3rd place gets what's left (that'd probably be me XD)? If not, we'll stick to the Vegedus' proposition.

Postby Black » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:50 pm

Okay, we're sticking to the choose-the-prize system.
Welcome aboard, Zoul. Glad to have you as competitor. That makes it 4 pre-auditions competitors so far.
I was thinking... Should I set up few organizations whose agents OCs could be, if they want wanted (they can still have no affiliation)? I'm thinking it could make the story seem a bit more interesting, but I don't want to limit competitors too much either. I'm afraid I might use too much RP elements for the OCT, which could ruin it. What's your opinion?

Postby Chuckledarkly » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:04 am

My idea rant:

We could make it a "evil" army vs a "good" army (good and evil like worldofwarcraft where there not really evil just evily inclined) we could be hired mecenarys. Hired to take out the bosses of side a or side b and thus everyone would be fighting because only the one guy who kills the boss gets the merc money, and not if their contractor, the other king, is dead.

You don't get payed if the guy willing to pay you gets killed right?

just a idea rant. =3

I'll try anything twice! =D "not really"

[edit] Oh lol sorryz thnx for informing me black.
Last edited by Chuckledarkly on Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check Out My Art

Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things." "I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen.
Proud Member of BEOS

Postby Black » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:53 am

Uh... We've already set-up the background story, BL - OCs are supposed to get an unknown breakthrough at all costs. No-one knows what exactly it is, but they know it's supposed to utilize both magic and science and it's supposed to be very powerfull. What could it be? A self-perpetual energy source? A secret to ethernal life? A powerful bio-weapon? Magic-weilding android? No-one knows. But everyone is trying to get it, for one reason or another. I was just asking if I should make few organizations whose agents OCs can be (as well as having no affiliation), or should I let the OCs make-up the organizations they work for (either as agents or as mercenaries payed by them).

Postby Aneri » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:21 am

Leave it up to the artists. But encourage artists to work together and make one organization (that way, if they face each other it can be attributed to one of them disagreeing with their organization, or the organization manipulating them, or whatever).

Also, as far as prizes go... it's been the general rule of OCTs I've participated in and seen that the winner takes all. I understand that more people deserve prizes, but, at the same time, beyond first and second place you really can't give more, unless you decide to give out 4 prizes. How will you decide who gets the third place prize if it's structured by elimination? There's the semifinals, with 4 people, and the finals with 2. It'd be cool if we gave a first place prize and a second place prize, but we really can't decide on a 3rd place, logically. If that's the course, then I'd suggest making the first place 2 commissions and the second place 1 commission, as it seems to be the most logical x3

As far as gathering interest, I have a feeling that when a thread goes up for it, it'll gather more views than it has so far. Also, I don't think that if anyone wants to contribute a commission that they should be also obligated to be a judge unless they want to. I volunteered for judging, so that obviously doesn't apply to me. Black, I'd assume you'd want to host? In which case, I'd suggest you also judge and not participate yourself, but we can work around that too. :3
"I'm all out. What do ya got?" "A utility belt full of crap and a positive outlook?"

Postby Black » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:34 pm

Yeah, I agree. The artists will make their own organizations. That would allow them to be creative instead of using the pre-set ones.

I was thinking of having a 3rd place match being held at the same time as the finals, but that would be a bit difficult, I suppose. That would mean those 2 could not be injured too badly - but then, what would stop them from continuing to fight for the breakthrough? Forcing them to draw a comic in which both characters lose? Yeah, that WOULD be as dumb as it sounds. Which means one thing - you're right. We CAN'T decide on 3rd place. I guess we'll use your suggestion and give the 1st place a choice of 2 commissions and what's left to the 2nd place as the consolation prize.

People doing commisions are NOT obligated to be judges. Shoi's just doing a commission, not judging. I just put everyone together up there as "contributors", not as the ones doing all of those. If I labeled us "Contributors", it'd be much clearer, I suppose... My bad. And yeah, I'll be hosting the OCT, which means I won't be competing.

Postby Black » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:55 am

Yeah, it's supposed to be similar to SDL, only futuristic, not medieval.

Okay, we're almost ready to begin. Let's summarize what we've got so far:

PRIZES:
Commission from Shoi
Commission from Aneri (Pencil)
Commission from Black (3D-Style)
1st place gets to choose 2 commissions
2nd place gets the remaining commission

OCT TIMELINE:
Contestant auditions = 1 month
Each round = 3 weeks

JUDGES:
Aneri
Black

STORY:
The story takes place in a futuristic world where both magic and technology exist. Even though most mages hate technology and most scientists hate magic, a scientist and a mage have worked together and found a way to fuse both magic and technology, creating a breakthrough which could change their world. The news of this breakthrough have leaked, but no-one knows what this breakthrough actually is. A self-perpetual energy source? A secret to ethernal life? A powerful bio-weapon? Machines capable of casting mystical spells? Nobody knows. But everyone is trying to get it, for one reason or another. Realizing what could happen if their discovery fell into the wrong hands, scientist and mage went into hiding, taking all their research and their project with them. It was later found out that they are posing as professors in university in which they have set up a hidden lab. And so, many factions have sent their people to get this discovery before anyone else does.

Contestants can make up an organization their OC will work for or their OCs could try to get the discovery for themselves. Contestants are also encouraged to work together and make an organization they'll be part of (which should eliminate too many lone-agent groups, we hope).

BASIC RULES:
After submitting their OCs, contestants have to make a short "audition" comic which will introduce their character. After the auditions are over, contestants will be pared against each other. Each round contestants will draw few pages in which their OC should be seen defeating the OC of their opponent. The author of the entry that judges find better will advance into the next round, with his story accepted as the actual OCT storyline. Entries will be judged for both their visuals and their story.

(PRE-AUDITION) CONTESTANTS:
Coos
Vegedus
BrokenLine
ZoulArt

Postby Coos » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:03 am

Make our own organizations too?
Dreams come truuuue

Postby Aneri » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:34 am

One more thing, we'd need an odd number of judges. x3 So one more, if anyone feels up to it, if not, I'll blackmail....er, I mean, bug someone else from the forums (like Deena, maybe > 3>) to see if they're willing!
"I'm all out. What do ya got?" "A utility belt full of crap and a positive outlook?"

Postby Shoi » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:05 pm

Hot Damn it finally starts :D
My Art thread
SableTheFabled:
Do you know where i live? Fucking Barbados.
Whatis6times9:
It was about as easy as... Goddammit, it is to easy. And to me a whore is just a slut with a good sense of enterprise.

Postby Chuckledarkly » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:49 pm

Woo! =D
Check Out My Art

Proud Member of BEOS

Postby Black » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:47 am

Black, Mon Mar 23, 2009. 11:29 pm (GMT+1) wrote:@ZoulArt:
If it's okay with Aneri (and I'm sure it will be), you can be the 3rd judge.

I've been thinking about making the OCT logo, and this is the result:
My room-mate commented that "it looks like Snafu is burning through fire" lol .
Snafu - hotter than flames, cooler than ice. :grin:

//\\
I don't like double-posting, so I deleted that one and put it here as a quote :grin: .

Anyway, I made few samples for character sheets:
(1st one is an old art piece of mine and 2nd one is an unfinished version of Spambot I'm currently working on, so you can see my progress on it as a bonus XD)
So that's the design I'm proposing. If everyone's alright with it, I'll make the background and bottom-bar you see there as 2 images contestants will be using to make their character's sheet. Any other information about the character (organization, powers, etc.) will be simple text sent together with character sheet. Also, note that OCs don't need to be humanoid in appearance, as demonstrated by tracked-robot Spambot. Since this is a futuristic magical world, OCs can also be mages, magical creatures, semi-human--semi-animal, etc.
By the way, how long should the judging take between rounds? 2 or 3 days? More, maybe?

Postby Chuckledarkly » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:39 pm

Sounds good to me black ^^ tho being a senior in high school i would request longer times for rounds. ^_^; (and not having a scanner doesn't help ether can only scan when I go to school so a 2 day round falling on a week end would cut me out you see? +The more time the better XD up to a point of course.)
Check Out My Art

Proud Member of BEOS

Postby Vegedus » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:10 am

To be honest I find that bottom bar rather unfancy. I suggest we either get some of the more graphic oriented people (the sig makers for instance) to pimp it, or we go without. I don't think we really need one.

Postby Chuckledarkly » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:31 pm

But it would be fun to have one... =/ BTW black should i start on my entree?
Check Out My Art

Proud Member of BEOS

Postby Black » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:04 pm

Your words wound me, Vegedus. "Get some of the more graphic oriented people to pimp it"? I made it simplistic on purpose! If I didn't know better, I might've thought you meant that I couldn't do any better myself. And, as BrokenLine said: "it would be fun to have one". So, here's a proposition for a new one:
(That's the Gaian Executioner from "Shin Megami Tensei" for Snes)
Is this one okay, or would you like another?

And as for round time - we'll have to wait for Aneri's response. We agreed it'd be 3 weeks, but we kinda overlooked the inclusion of the judging period. So maybe we could extend the rounds to 1 month minus 3 - 5 days for judging (not sure how long we'll need, depends on number of contestants, I suppose). The alternative could be: 3 full weeks, then 1 whole week for judging. I guess I'll have to wait for Aneri and Zoul and see what they think.

This is the information contestants should send about their character:
Name:
Race:
Organization:
Motive:
Personality:
Biography:
Weapons:
Abilities/Powers:

The auditions are not officially open yet, but you can start working on your characters' reference and auditions, since the world and story are already set. When we agree on round length and bottom-bar, we can officially start the auditions. I'll provide you with the texture for the reference background and bottom-bar then.

Postby Vegedus » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:00 am

Black wrote:Your words wound me, Vegedus. "Get some of the more graphic oriented people to pimp it"? I made it simplistic on purpose! If I didn't know better, I might've thought you meant that I couldn't do any better myself.

Yeah, I usually wound people when I'm being honest. Simplistic's fine, but I find a black bar and a gradient obstructive and rather cliché, respectively.
I don't have much passion for the other one either. Maybe it's just because I don't personally like the style very much. Maybe because the bar takes up one third of the picture. Maybe it's just because I'd rather have complete freedom over how to present my character. I take it you were inspired by the way SDL did it? The way I plan to make my character sheet or whatever is more in line with these. In general, if I have to stick some logo, bar, or background to my entry, it would like it to be a 100% unobstructive and pro looking, which, sorry dude, I just don't think it does.

But why is it so hurtful anyways? Do you consider yourself a graphics oriented person? When I look at your thread I see sketches of people and 3D drawings of machines not wallpapers, logos, signatures or whatever. I've never seen you do that stuff so I don't expect you to do it well and neither should you. That's just common sense.

Postby Black » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:59 pm

I was joking when I said that. And truth is not what's hurting people, it's the WAY you say it that hurts them. Also, bar wasn't supposed to take up that much space, I just didn't organize it properly. It was supposed to look somewhat like this:
My bad, sorry. And it's not (just) SDL. It was OCBZ, actually. Personally, I would LIKE it if someone more experienced would do it, but none of them offered their assistance for this OCT.

You know what? I don't give a damn anymore. Do whatever you want. Just stick the "Snafu OCT" logo somewhere, if that's not too much to ask:
Resize it, rotate it, I don't care. Just put it somewhere on your character sheets.

Postby Chuckledarkly » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:12 am

Well... that rocks. :up: But is it OTC or OCT??? lol fix dat and it would be perfect for us! =D
Check Out My Art

Proud Member of BEOS

Postby Black » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:55 am

I just forgot that no emoticons = serious talk, that's all.
I agree with BrokenLine, that does look cool (much better than mine, I must admit). Just fix the O.T.C. thing and it'd be perfect.

Postby Vegedus » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:25 am

Yeah, I agree. That one is cooler and more SNAFU-ish (that is, it is purple). There something slightly weird about the way the swirly thingy overlaps the picture the picture though.

And yeah, even in real life I rely more on people's body language and intonation than what they are saying for sarcasm detection (because god knows people occasionally say some really stupid stuff unintentionally), so smileys help.

PreviousNext

Return to Art