Welcome to the Weirdness

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: RP Mod Squad, Mod Squad

Re: Welcome to the Weirdness

Postby BG07 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:11 pm

Oh I've been rocking the Kumagawa sig/ava forrrr probably going on a year now haha

Postby Sig Skellington » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:11 pm

Jay wrote:It's totally torpedoed our League of Legends play since we play FFXIV instead

I thought that race in your avi looked familiar. That's the magic-centric race, right? I had one back when I played FFXI, but sadly, I never got a hold of FFXIV. Oh, well. Nice to meet ya all the same.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Jay » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:49 pm

The Lalafell look similar to FFXI's Taru's but are somewhat different.

FFXIV in general got rid of races being better at X, so race is mostly an aesthetic choice now (different races can differ by like 1~3 points of secondary stats, which to put in perspective, you get like 500+ of from levels, job, and gear by end game). If you have an appetite for MMO's, I do think FFXIV's a great choice, since the relaunch of it is all told really well done. That said, it falls into the casual mmo style of WoW, so if you're looking for XI style standing around for days to claim one mob and get a certain item you'll have to look elsewhere haha.

Nice meeting you!
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby Dorian » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:09 pm

Jay wrote:Hey Dorian. I'm doing pretty well. Are you still Florida?

Also, it may amuse you to know I play an MMO now.

No I'm in the Seattle area now. Thankful for it too. Florida was too fucking hot.

As for mmos I got suckered back into WoW thanks to some friends. I was clean for five years too. I enjoy it with friends but I don't feel any suffering need to log on every free moment I have like I did years back. I like aspects of those games but I don't have the time I used to. I'm typically only satisfied when I can be the best and you can only be the best when you treat the game like a job. No thanks. I have an actual job.

And new mmos don't have any appeal. Every other mmo I've tried is just too much of the same. They're going to have to do something radically different if they want my attention our just be successful in general. Maybe Everquest Next but I'm not a Minecraft fan and that seems to be a lot of their draw.

Also I can't get to the forum on my computer so all this was from my phone. Pardon any typos.
Never asked for this

Postby Sig Skellington » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:18 pm

@Jay
Actually, casual's more my style. Never got to far in FFXI 'cause I could never fully commit to it. Thoguh I'd need to make sure I could set the proper money aside for FFXIV if I planned to get in on it. What's the price per character on there? Or is there just a standard subscription fee?

The Resident Smartass

Postby Belwicket » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:19 pm

I have a good RP idea, I just need help putting it into words. Also, some co-GMs would be nice.
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Sig Skellington » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:50 pm

Maybe you should wait until your other RP's gonna start or not.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Jay » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:53 pm

Dorian wrote:No I'm in the Seattle area now. Thankful for it too. Florida was too fucking hot.

Seattle!!!

Hey dude, I visit every once in a while (usually for Sakuracon but I know enough there for random visits too) we should get lunch or coffee sometime if you're game.

Sigment wrote:Actually, casual's more my style. Never got to far in FFXI 'cause I could never fully commit to it. Thoguh I'd need to make sure I could set the proper money aside for FFXIV if I planned to get in on it. What's the price per character on there? Or is there just a standard subscription fee?

It's like $13.99 for 1 character on every world, or you can get 8 characters per world for prices that vary by how much you pay at once, 13.99 if you pay for 6 months at a time.

You don't really need more than one character though. In this game, your character can level up in each class separately and allocate stat points separately for them, so aside from one small exception, you can play pretty much every class on just the one character. The job change system is reminiscent of FFIII or FFT in that way. You level up classes individually, then you can cross class certain abilities to strengthen your main class with stuff from other classes.

Cross class skills aren't very flexible though, at end game, so people use pretty standard cross-class set ups from class to class.

Belwicket wrote:I have a good RP idea, I just need help putting it into words. Also, some co-GMs would be nice.

I see you haven't changed, haha! Hope you feel better these days than you seemed to way back when.

Postby Ro Wong » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:35 am

Jay wrote:Chatting is fun enough, but I'd be lying if I said I had a real desire to RP still, haha.

And hang out, Ro? It's pretty tough to play with specific people from out of world, unfortunately D:

You can make characters on other servers and such. Well, I was more suggesting that than the option of transferring an existing character, as that costs extra. Should have clarified what I meant. lol
Demon of Elru

Postby Cloud3514 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:38 am

Jay wrote:In the anime "fandom" since "season" has been picked up by the industry to mean a variety of things, and since most shounen shows separate their shows in "season" chunks larger than 12~13 episodes (an actual, real time season), cours was in turn picked up to be very specifically used in the single case of "material aired in one season". This unintuitive system makes a bit more sense when you consider that TV in the West also doesn't actually have its "seasons" approximate, well, seasons. So people are pretty used to using "season" to refer to one chunk of content that generally starts at least a new subplot (usually with content meant to reintroduce people to the show) and ending usually either closing that subplot or extending it with a cliffhanger.

So yeah, it was getting hella annoying using "season" for cases where you want to specify, say, how long a show is airing, so cour was picked up. Now, rather than me, say, having to look up the episode count of SAO, I can just say, "The first season was two cours long!" and give you a very good approximate of its length without knowing minutiae about a mediocre show.

It sure doesn't help that the anime fandom loves to have arbitrary names and categorization for things.

also you chumps who are not teenagers and are employed and like watching anime, you should get a crunchyroll subscription because it literally works out to like 2~3 starbucks trips a month and if you like the industry, it's worth giving it some chump change.

Pro-tip, they sell a yearly subscription for like $77 every black friday. Dude, that is fucking like 6 bucks a month for unlimited simulcast anime and the growing collection of manga they have on there too.

I would totally do that if I watched enough anime to get to the point of ads annoying me. As it stands, I have no problem with waiting a week for a new episode and sitting through a few ads.

Postby Jay » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:59 am

Cloud3514 wrote:I would totally do that if I watched enough anime to get to the point of ads annoying me. As it stands, I have no problem with waiting a week for a new episode and sitting through a few ads.

oh, that's totally fair, watch the free versions if that suits your needs, ad revenue is still revenue \o/

I personally couldn't cause I need that 1080p/720p because I often watch on a TV hahaha

Having manga subscription is nice too.

Ro Wong wrote:You can make characters on other servers and such. Well, I was more suggesting that than the option of transferring an existing character, as that costs extra. Should have clarified what I meant. lol

Yeah, the cost to transfer is why I never really ask people to do so, haha. I tried doing the make another character thing but... it's tough lol. I don't play enough that I exhaust the content like some people do haha

Postby Vegedus » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:30 am

Crunchyroll does seem to be a success. How many shows of an average season do they stream? How many OVAs do they have?
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Asmodai » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:02 am

Belwicket wrote:I have a good RP idea, I just need help putting it into words. Also, some co-GMs would be nice.

You've said these exact same words for the past year now... If not longer.
Mephobiac

Postby BG07 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:36 am

I'm surprised that the rest of you haven't already tuned that out at this point...

Anyways this talk of Knights of Sidonia reminded me of how much I'd want to RP a mecha style game... I might consider being the GM for one, if anyone else is interested let me know because I'll make it happen

Postby Vegedus » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:38 am

BG07 wrote:I'm surprised that the rest of you haven't already tuned that out at this point...

We try. Half the time I just ignore it, but she's insistent enough people end up replying sooner or later.

Postby Dorian » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:54 pm

Jay wrote:
Dorian wrote:No I'm in the Seattle area now. Thankful for it too. Florida was too fucking hot.

Seattle!!!

Hey dude, I visit every once in a while (usually for Sakuracon but I know enough there for random visits too) we should get lunch or coffee sometime if you're game.

Yeah for sure.

Just let me know next time you're in the area. I suppose you could PM me here but that might run the risk of me not noticing it. I think I get emails if someone PMs me...

I assume you have a Steam profile? That's probably the best way to get ahold of me these days since it's always on. I forget to turn on Skype constantly.
Never asked for this

Postby Cloud3514 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:47 am

BG07 wrote:I'm surprised that the rest of you haven't already tuned that out at this point...

She's fun to poke when she says somethings stupid.

Anyways this talk of Knights of Sidonia reminded me of how much I'd want to RP a mecha style game... I might consider being the GM for one, if anyone else is interested let me know because I'll make it happen

Here here... even if I don't do much in the way of RPs anymore.

Jay wrote:
Cloud3514 wrote:I would totally do that if I watched enough anime to get to the point of ads annoying me. As it stands, I have no problem with waiting a week for a new episode and sitting through a few ads.

oh, that's totally fair, watch the free versions if that suits your needs, ad revenue is still revenue \o/

I personally couldn't cause I need that 1080p/720p because I often watch on a TV hahaha

Having manga subscription is nice too.

The HD versions are nice, as is the ability to stream it from the PS3, but I just don't watch as much anime as I used to. Hell, the only show I'm planning to watch this season is SAO season 2... and that's purely out of morbid curiosity.

Would love to have better access to the manga, though.

Postby Asmodai » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:53 am

BG07 wrote:Anyways this talk of Knights of Sidonia reminded me of how much I'd want to RP a mecha style game... I might consider being the GM for one, if anyone else is interested let me know because I'll make it happen

I'd be extremely interested, but only... ONLY!... If its the Real Mecha genre... None of that Gundam crap (which is ironic, I know, since Gundam apparently falls under that genre). I want mechs that at least seem realistic, like the Battletech ones.

Speaking of Sidonia though, there has been one thing that has been bugging me the past few days. I remember thinking it at the end of that episode, but kinda forgot afterwards. But with an anime that focuses so hard on being realistic (with the way fuel, momentum, and gravity works) are you telling me that    after Kunato orders Nagate to blow up his charge prematurely (giggity) over a private channel, to frame him for the botched mission, are you telling me that Nagate never said anything about this to anybody? Or even better, are you telling me that these mechs dont have flight recorders? Its later said that Nagate's combat data was gonna be used for updated VR training, so surely it also records transmissions, private or not?   
Mephobiac

Postby BG07 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:49 am

I had a big issue with that part as well, but    Maybe because his family built those fighters he had some way of making it so that no one would know? But that's a stretch and really the only thing that makes sense to me.   

As for the RP, I was actually thinking the same about the mechs. Plus a nice thing about the Sidonia universe is that there's a TON of other ships that our story's perspective could be told from... Different ship, different story, different tech, different ways of dealing with the Gauna.

Postby Sentios » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:23 am

Dorian wrote:And new mmos don't have any appeal. Every other mmo I've tried is just too much of the same. They're going to have to do something radically different if they want my attention our just be successful in general. Maybe Everquest Next but I'm not a Minecraft fan and that seems to be a lot of their draw.

I definitely understand where you're coming from on that. You might want to keep an eye on ArcheAge, it's supposed to release later this year and it's f2p so there's not much to lose. It's focus is on crafting and world pvp. There's a fair number of streamers on twitch for it as well so you can take a look at the game without actually having to expend effort on it, just gotta find a streamer that isn't obnoxious. Though I'll admit that the alpha just got wrecked by the patch that killed the game in Korea and Russia.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Dorian » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:11 pm

crafting and pvp are two terms that'll immediately make me groan in irritation toward mmos.

i'm not being entirely fair, because most of my hatred of pvp comes from vanilla/BC WoW which was fucked for balance, but it made me angrier than almost anything else in my entire life. everquest pvp sucked too but they never claimed to focus on it in any way. mmo pvp as a concept in general just doesn't interest me. if i want to fight people i'll do it in TF2 or something.

crafting has also always felt like a chore. i have also never seen a crafting system that wasn't just 'tediously gather a bunch of mundane materials then press a button and congrats you made a thing'. maybe they do it in a real cool way and i'll take a look at it, but i'm cynical.

my interest in mmos usually lies with playing a role, and doing it well. combine that with playing with other people to get the fun of social interaction and feeling useful to them by performing said role well. then add in the satisfaction of feeling like you played a part in completing a difficult objective like a raid boss.

so unless an mmo comes up with something that makes me have a whole new type of enjoyment, i may as well just stick with wow because it lets me do all those things. if all my friends started to play another game then maybe i'd migrate but it wouldn't be because the new game had any specific appeal.

i don't know what mmos need to do, but they can't just try to copy a bunch of WoW mechanics and then go 'but wait we focus on pvp' like guild wars tried to do. a lot of people seem to really like that game but when i tried it i saw nothing new. the awe of being in a huge virtual world is gone too. i was amazed by that aspect when i first played everquest in 99, but that feeling can only remain for so long.

everquest next is making the biggest attempt to change things up. being able to literally change the landscape and craft the world is not something these games have ever really allowed. i don't know if that interests me personally, but i admire them for actually taking things in a different direction. with oculus rift gathering more attention, maybe virtual reality and increased immersion is more likely in the future. maybe that's the only way to bring back genuine awe.
Never asked for this

Postby Belwicket » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:05 pm

Sigment wrote:Maybe you should wait until your other RP's gonna start or not.

If you mean my D&D RP, it needs 1 more vote. If you mean my Kingdom Hearts idea, it's still not finished.

Jay wrote:I see you haven't changed, haha! Hope you feel better these days than you seemed to way back when.

Yeah, you too.

Asmodai wrote:You've said these exact same words for the past year now... If not longer.

And? I do have good ideas, it's just not everyone likes them and nobody wants to give me a chance at being DM because of my fuck-ups in Kaze's RP.
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Hallow Nova » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:29 pm

It's also a bit of your own stubbornness. :o
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Cloud3514 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:33 pm

And the fact that you haven't proven that you know what you're doing.

Postby Vegedus » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:25 pm

Belwicket wrote:And? I do have good ideas

We'll be the judge of that. It's a little arrogant to repeatedly state that your ideas are good, when a lot of people seem to disagree. My mom and I both think I sing wonderfully, but that doesn't make it true, right?
nobody wants to give me a chance at being DM because of my fuck-ups in Kaze's RP.

It's hardly the only reason.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing