Shadowrun: Justice

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Re: Shadowrun: Justice

Postby Millo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:01 pm

"Yea juss give me a second I need to check the status!" The Conductor, Ed replied. Speed is just right, the engines heat certainly seems good. He listened for the hums of the train. It certainly seemed alright.

Ed enjoyed conducting, he was quite a perceptive worker. As a child he worked on model trains, The X flyer 320, the one the president of Lonestar was assassinated in, The Royal Sovereign was his favorite. It was an English Train that the royal family lived in for decades. "Okay now what's the issue that you need me for-" The literal shock was surprising it flowed in Ed's brittle body. He collapsed to the floor out cold.

"Frag it sure is quiet this evening" the guard from cart 6 thought to himself. Usually there's a number of scurrying brats. He turned his gaze towards the door where a tatooed passenger called out to him "take a huge drek" he hears him say
"well what the frag do you want me to do about it? Don't waste my time" the Guard brushed off the passenger and went back to his original position. Slowly his head starting to ache then from an ache into an immense pain that would be indescribable. His vision quickly faded and his throat quickly closed up and in a matter of seconds the Guards head was in 20 different locations in that cart.

The ticket master in Cart 7 heard the disturbance and came in. What he saw was a tatooed man standing in a pool of blood. Blood that trickled down the walls of the cart and formed stains on the windows. He screamed in terror and quickly turned toward the Cart 8 door.

Time Bomb listened closely for the drop of the conductors body and knew it was his chance. There was no more reason to keep quiet, he kicked the door to the ticket masters open.

"Hey what the frag are you doin buddy!?" One of the engineers asked. Time Bomb was in no mood to answer, he punched that one square in the nose and tackled the other. He kept the second in a head lock till he passed out.
Last edited by Millo on Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby (CH3)3CLi » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:10 pm

After the characteristic thump of a body hitting the ground, Safe Zone pushed the door open to check on the status of the conductor, wondering if he had managed to better control the current this time.

He heard Time Bomb smashing the door to the engineers’ booth down and waited to see if any of the engineers were still talking after Time Bomb was done with them. Not a peep. Six seconds total on the takedown. That was one mean troll.

He checked the carotid artery’s pulse on the conductor’s warm body. Still alive.

Sure, the guy suffered some second-degree burns along his arm and wherever else on his body the surge ran through, but he’ll live to tell the tale if the others decided not to kill him. Safe Zone propped the conductor up against the far corner of the booth and exited to join Time Bomb in the engineers’ booth.

He raised an impressed eyebrow at the two splayed bodies on the ground, bending over and snatching up one of the engineers’ radios and switching it to channel five.

“Hey, if you two haven’t slit each other’s throats, yet, we’re at the main control panel and Spiderling’s about to take this entire train on a joyride. It’d be best if you guys finished up and joined us soon.”

He let go of the push-to-talk microphone button and looked at Time Bomb, who didn’t even seem a little tired from the recent events.

“So besides rendering anyone on the wrong end of your fist unconscious, what else do you do, Time Bomb?”
Pyrophoric

Postby Sigmas » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:00 pm

"Goddamn it..." "Try to keep it down", he said. Next thing he knew, Swift heard a blood balloon pop in the next car. He opened the door to find the guard's head decorating the hallway and the ticket master panicking at the sight. By the time the man started running towards Car 8, Swift was already in pursuit. "I got him!" He sprinted full-speed to catch up, and made it behind him halfway through the Car.

He would have preferred to knock the man out, but the scream would have likely alerted the last guard, and there wasn't any time. Swift grabbed the ticket master's head, and with a quick twist he was dead. He caught the corpse as it fell, laying it on the ground. It was then that he heard Safe Zone over the radio, but he wasn't going to respond, not yet. Swift walked to the door where the last guard was originally smoking. He opened it, grabbing the guard before he could react and placing him in a chokehold. Three... two... one.

With the last guard down, he grabbed the radio to talk as he made his way back through the cars towards the front of the train. He motioned for Surface to follow as he addressed Safe Zone. "All done back here, but it's a fraggin' mess. Three dead, one unconscious. With all the blood, hidin' the bodies would be pointless. We're on our way to Car 0 now."
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby (CH3)3CLi » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:37 pm

The sudden hiss of radio static interrupted before Time Bomb could answer the question—if the troll had even considered answering, that is.

Swift’s response didn't surprise Safe Zone—rather, he was a little relieved. He had actually been expecting the bad news that they had lost one of their teammates due to some personal differences. Good to know that the two teammates besides Time Bomb with viable offensive abilities were all still in one piece.

He radioed back to Swift.

“Good job, more or less. If Surface still intends to carry through with his plan, we’ll have left that mess far behind by the time Lone Star notices. Try not to gag on the sizzling corpse in car 2 as you head up here, by the way. That was my accident.”

Safe Zone settled into one of the engineers’ chairs to wait for the others, making sure to avoid the chair in front of the main access port to the train’s Matrix. That was going to be Spiderling’s throne pretty soon.
Pyrophoric

Postby Scrambles » Thu May 01, 2014 2:36 pm

Time Bomb and Safe Zone went to work and paved the way for Spiderling. She went to the control console and began to look it over. “This.....is....gonna be tough...” She probed the system for information on its security and found exactly what she was hoping no to. “Damn...this train has a built-in demiGOD....I’ll have to get around it.” She began to crack her knuckles and limber up.

“I dont know how long this will take me so keep your eyes open. The cameras will be on a loop in case we get outside spectators from Horizon."

Spiderling then took a deep breath and jacked in to the console. The world around her remained the same. She was still in the control room but there was no sunlight coming from the windows, no sound of the train making its way down the tracks. Neither were her comrades present.

“You are not an accepted User.” A digitized voice spoke from behind the little elf hacker. Spiderling didn't have to look back to know it was the demiGOD-the monitor placed in this wireless grid to watch for illegal access.

“Come my sisters....” Spiderling whispered as she weaved code in to copies of herself, each with six, glowing red eyes.

“Protect me!” She shouted as she worked the console, changing its parameters for user access and her digital selves attacked the business-suit-clad demiGOD with inhuman speed. The security program dodged their attacks, barely making any effort as it counterattacked by turning its arm in to a sword and decapitating one of the Spiderling clones. “Illegal User. You shall be rebooted. Convergence commencing in one minute.”

“I dont think so.” Spiderling grinned as she made more clones, two of which remained with her as she continued to rewrite the trains systems. The demiGOD dispatched the remaining clones and ran towards Spiderling. Just before it reached her, however, Spiderling weaved more code and the train car stretched as if it were made of rubber and the demiGOD was suddenly 100 yards away. “Illegal User. Prepare for convergence. Have a nice day.” The demiGODs hand began to crackle with energy and the program began running at Spiderling, picking up speed with each step.

“Almost there....come on.....” Spiderling looked back for a moment to see the now glowing program running at her at break neck speed. “I have more for you Light Bright!” She shouted over her shoulder and a steel wall shot from the ground, cutting off the demiGOD. With one punch the super charged demiGOD reduced the wall to rubble, pelting Spiderling with a hail of metal and walked over the digital debris. Despite the piece of jagged steel piercing her leg and shoulder Spiderling continued to dance her fingers across the digital console.

It reached its glowing hand towards Spiderling. “Convergence commencing in three..two...on-” The demiGOD froze in place, its hand inches from grabbing Spiderling by the head.

Spiderling turned slowly to the demiGOD which was now updating its protocol. “User access accepted. Erasing all other accepted User data. Welcome aboard Horizon Locomotive 34B6 Spiderling.” She knew she couldn't take a demiGOD head to head with how little she knew of Horizons security updates since her time in prison. But that didn't mean she couldn't trick it.

Ending the connection with the matrix Spiderling took a deep breath of relief wiped the blood from her nose. She had cut it a little close on that one. Didn't expect the train to have a demiGOD as part of its security. She looked to Time Bomb and Safe Zone with a smile. “Its mine now.”

Postby (CH3)3CLi » Thu May 01, 2014 5:28 pm

Safe Zone had watched with mild disinterest initially when Spiderling had plugged into the Matrix, expecting her to make some gestures like she had been doing up until now and magically—well, technically—make everything Matrix-related bend to her will.

He was caught by surprise when she suddenly called for protection, confused about what possible dangers could be left on the train when he finally realized she was fighting her own battle on the Matrix front. The rapid gesticulations she was making in the air became more frantic as she muttered and he wondered what would happen to her physically if she failed to win that fight.

A pale blue glow pulsed gently in Safe Zone’s left hand and trailed up his arm in fading wisps of ether as he saw the blood drip from her nose. He didn’t dare touch her while she was hacking, though, worried about the consequences of possibly breaking her concentration or impeding her arm movements. He hadn’t realized he was holding his breath until Spiderling turned around and announced her success. Expiration and inspiration had never been such a wholly conscious process for him before.

He got up and walked over to where she sat, giving her a cursory one-over to make sure she wasn't bleeding externally anywhere else.

”Good work. Any other injuries I should know about?” he asked quietly as he pressed his palm against her forehead, simultaneously searching for any significant cranial trauma while he pushed the healing magic into the burst capillaries and damaged epithelium of her nasal membrane. As the flow of blood from her nose slowed down, he pushed the flow of magic into the rest of her body, innervating fatigued muscles, restoring a bit of the spent ATP and glucose supply in her body, and inducing a bit of dopamine release into the synaptic clefts of her nerve cells to combat some of the possible mental exhaustion.

He blinked a few times and shook his head to clear out the darkening, fuzzy edges of his vision when the thorough healing was complete, but kept the pulsing blue glow centered on his hand and his hand on her forehead, waiting for her response.
Pyrophoric

Postby Sigmas » Fri May 02, 2014 8:51 pm

Swift let out a slight chuckle upon hearing about the "accidental" charred corpse left in Car 2. He turned his head in Surface's direction. "Sounds like there are no complaints. You can disconnect the cars when we get up front."

When they made it to Car 2, Swift found the body Safe had mentioned. It reminded him of the poor bastard the Suit used as an example of what would happened if they tampered with the case. Both of them looked, and smelled, like an overcooked piece of steak. Swift worried momentarily that he may wind up the same way somehow. All in all, he figured that as long as the job got done, he had nothing to worry about...

Hopefully.

Halfway through Car 1, Swift heard Spider yelling. He couldn't tell if there was an attack, so he rushed for the control room. He opened it up to find Safe tending to Spider, and Time Bomb Just standing with the case. He couldn't help but feel like he got worked up over nothing. Hell, why was he so concerned in the first place? He shrugged it off as just wanting to avoid losing manpower in the group.

"So, uh... What'd I miss?"

The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Scrambles » Fri May 02, 2014 9:30 pm

Spiderling rest back in her chair and continued wiping the blood from her nose as Safe Zone laid his hand on her forehead. "NoOooo.....immMMM fiiIIIInne." Her voice distorted greatly as a wave of healing energy washed the exhaustion and throbbing headaches away like a river. It reminded her of the last time she used. That was the worst part about those early days in prison: Withdrawal. That itch in the back of your mind that nothing can scratch. Nothing but that old familiar sting of a needle in your arm. Or puffer in your mouth. This was going to be a long ride.

As the magic receded Spiderling blushed wildly and stood from her chair and leaned back over the console to hide her embarrassment. "I-I have complete control of the trains systems. You might want to grab some weapons off those guards before you disconnect." It took everything in her to keep her voice from distorting.

Spiderling scanned the camera feed again and found her prize. A concession cart, equipped with a few bottles of hooch. She looked at Safe Zone as she turned from the console. "Thank you....for the heal.." Spiderling then walked out of the control room towards the concession cart and her first step off the wagon.

She walked by Swift in the door way but all she could think about was that drink. "Safe can fill you in." There was an a quiver in her voice that she couldn't mask.

Postby (CH3)3CLi » Fri May 02, 2014 10:56 pm

Safe Zone was still probing Spiderling with magic to check if he had missed any injuries when he heard hastened footsteps approaching the booth door. He turned to look just as Swift barged through the door, raring for battle, laughing quietly in response when the elf sheepishly asked for a recap of the events. He covered the laugh with a few coughs.

He turned back to Spiderling, his gaze resting on the scar across her neck. It looked like the jagged edge of some blade had slit across her throat—either a serrated knife or a pathetically crude one. Did she get that one from a Matrix fight as well? Was an injury that pronounced even possible from a Matrix fight? He had already noted her occasional voice distortions and assumed some type of vocal augment, but upon closer inspection of the scar, it seemed the vocal augment wasn’t for the sake of vanity. The scar was hypertrophic, so the initial cut must not have been deep enough to sever anything important—well, aside from the laryngeal nerves and vocal folds. Had it been recent, he might have been able to heal the mucous membrane and restore the laryngeal ganglion while the cell bodies were still undergoing the chromatolytic reaction, but there was no way he could restore the cells after full apoptosis.

The best he could do for that scar now would be to burn or cut out the inferior fibrous tissue and correctly cover the fresh injury with epithelial tissue. It would make the scar disappear, but would do nothing else for her, and he imagined she didn’t care much about her physical appearance.

"A girl’s got the right to look pretty, you killjoy." Safe Zone decided the drain was getting to him if he was hearing her voice again. Unexpectedly, he found himself missing her for the first time in a little over a year, despite convincing himself to move past that tragedy when Lone Star threw him into prison. She always had a good point to make, though. Safe Zone was still ruminating over the scar when he severed the magical link, noting Spiderling's unusually euphoric reaction to the healing.

He backed away as Spiderling suddenly stood up and re-announced her control of the train. She was heading out for some reason, but from the shakiness of her posture, he wondered if she was really all right.

Safe Zone called out after Spiderling as she walked around Swift, “Hey, Spiderling, if you ever want to, I could probably get rid of that scar for you.” He hastily added, “Just the scar, though. It’s too late to fix anything else.”

He looked to Swift.

“Well, you’d have to ask Spiderling for the details, but she just taught the train’s Matrix system who really owns it—at some minor cost to her, it seems. I didn’t realize fights in the Matrix translated to physical injuries.”

He pointed at Spiderling as she turned her back on him and mouthed to Swift, "Don't leave her alone."
Pyrophoric

Postby Sigmas » Sat May 03, 2014 6:10 pm

Swift was a bit surprised to hear, or rather see, Safe's request. While making sure no one was alone in case of getting attacked was a good idea, why was he the one to keep an eye on her? Frag, man. I'm an assassin, not a babysi- It was then that he remembered an old job.

It was a weird day when he was hired to protect a Mitsuhama executive's daughter for the duration of "questionable" co-venture with another company. He knew nothing about it, save that it would piss off a few people, and those people had enough pull to warrant protecting VIPs. Swift had done shadowrun jobs before, but they were always assassination contracts. Killing someone the companies wanted gone. He took the job, seeing it as easy money.

The daughter turned out to be a high school student, sixteen. He accompanied her to and from school, wearing casual clothing and keeping his swords hidden inside a guitar case. At her home, she eventually convinced him to teach her some Kendo techniques. A week later, she started making her trips to school with a shinai on her back. When the thugs hired to take her finally made their appearance, Swift made short work of them, got paid, and went on his way. Yet somehow, the girl reached him by vidmail and thanked him.

All in all, it was worth the money.

Swift's mind returned to the present. He let out a slight chuckle and nodded his head as he moved to follow Spider. He looked to Surf as he passed. "Looks like you're gonna have to wait a little longer." He caught up to Spider, who was strolling her way through the cars looking for something. Whatever it was, he preferred that she make it quick.

The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Frosty The Tiki » Sat May 03, 2014 8:27 pm

Laying himself against a wall in car 0, and massaging his temples, images began to fill Surface's dark mind.
His head began to sway, and whatever shreds of sanity he had began to wane as his head began to sway back and forth, with him simply repeating the phrase "Lied to me, Using me" To himself, about only lord knows what, his trance was broken, when as swift exited he told him he couldn't cut the cars off just yet, but swift had a different set of plans. It was sad though, that the more magi he used the more his sanity waned , such was the price of mental drain, the less mental power he had, the less the voices had to fight to get in.

Walking past the two in the first car , into the second car, grabbing the charred remains of his firearm, with non functional gun in hand Surface Proceeded to touch all the things connecting the 1st car booth to the second, proceeding to cast his spell, he watched as the parts seemingly fell off, but in reality, all they did was disintegrate, it was a useful spell after all, for torture.

(I assume based on the sudden increase in momentum the car pulled forward, causing him to lose balance.)

Surface fell to his knees for a moment, using the last of his strength to crawl into an empty booth, busting open the window of the door with the butt of the defective gun and laid back in one of the sears, he was so tired of this god damned train, these god damned people, their god damned fragging rules. . .no, it was the voices again.

He didn't want to do something stupid, not yet, he was already enough of the odd one out among them, but it was only a matter of time before someone turned, maybe safe zone, Time bomb was too stupid, he'd be least likely to betray anyone, but that made him someone to watch out for as well, ironic as it was.

Surface laid back, closing his eyes to get some kind of rest for his body, no doubt it would be disturbed very soon, by someone asking why the hell he had done what he did so he made sure not to actually fall asleep.
That guy that draws penis
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby (CH3)3CLi » Sun May 04, 2014 2:01 am

The sudden jolt in speed shoved Safe Zone against the armrest of the chair he had collapsed into after Swift Strike and Spiderling had left. He had been ready to resign himself to reminiscing on some not-so-fond memories, but the armrest jabbing against his lower ribs snapped him out of that. Still, tired is as tired does and the thought of standing up drained him almost as badly as spells do. Once the focused mentality of healing someone had ebbed away, his body had been all too eager to resume feeling tired.

He had a good idea of what had happened and who had probably caused it.

After sluggishly dragging himself out the chair, Safe Zone stumbled to the door of booth and braced an arm against the door frame, leaning out to look down the car's length. He couldn't see far enough down the length of car 0 and car 1 to see what had happened and he was almost too damn tired to care. The cars would have been disconnected sooner or later anyway, right? Who cares that it happened a little sooner than later so long as no one was left behind?

He leaned out further to check if everyone was still present.

"Swift Strike? Spiderling? Surface? Everyone accounted for back there?" he called out.
Pyrophoric

Postby Scrambles » Sun May 04, 2014 1:07 pm

Spiderling thought on Safe Zones request for a moment as she walked through Car 0. No more scar….it was a nice thought. There was a time in Spiderlings life when she would have jumped at the chance to get rid of such a hideous reminder. But those days were long gone. To her, the scar was the least of her physical flaws. She could still remember the stares she got from other kids growing up at the site of her goggles.

She noticed Swift following after her as he spoke to Surface Tension in passing. The assassin had a calmer demeanor than she would have expected but that was most likely why he was also chosen for this job. The concession cart was right where she saw it on the feed, sitting the corner of Car 1 unattended. She approached and looked through its contents. It didn’t have much; two bottles of whiskey, a white and red wine and a bottle of vodka along with a few different types of snacks. Spiderling picked up the vodka bottle and reflexively went to open it when she remember Swift was behind her. She turned toward Swift and held up the bottle. “Feel like a drink?”

With sudden boost in speed Spiderling stumbled forward and dropped the vodka bottle, sending it shattering on the floor. “DaAmmITt! I nneEEDeed ThAat!” Spiderling kicked the concession cart in frustration. Vodka was her favorite and that was the only fragging bottle. The stress weighed heavily on Spiderlings mind. Frag, did she want a fix. Her hands trembled, partly from anger but more from the physical pull she felt to use. She heard Safe Zone call out for everyone’s status after the cars were disconnected.

“We’re aaAll F-F-Fine!” It was getting harder to stop her voice from distorting. With resignation Spiderling grabbed one of the wine bottles and found an empty booth before looking back at Swift. “I don’t need you to babysit me….” She tried to sound stern but the best she could do was keep the distortion out of her voice. She went in to the booth and stretched out on one of the seats and stared at the bottle in her hands, trying to think of a reason not to drink the whole thing.

Postby Millo » Sun May 04, 2014 2:52 pm

Time Bomb felt pretty tired. His hands felt heavy, usually he doesnt notice it because of how much he's punching faces but it starts to become apparent after the violence. He scratched his back, his hand touched the surface of his Jackets Emblem the large Gold Star. Strange how much his jacket and him have been through together. That bank heist in Brazil where he Trojan horsed a guards shoes without them knowing. The time he got lost in the Nevada and had to walk 40 miles to the nearest town and used the Jacket as shade from the sun and protection from the rain. There's still sand on it considering he never washes the damn thing.

Time Bomb sighed, it seems this Troll is getting up in years. He wondered if the bar had any cigars. He saw Swift and Spiderling looking for booze, he opened a few cabinets and found a tiny box filled with expensive cigars. He pocketed 3 and lit a fourth. He inhaled it for what seemed like a minute, he forgot how much he enjoyed cigars while he was in prison. The soft and warm touch of the smoke circulating his lungs brought him peace. He never understood why humans and elves had such weak lungs.

Trolls have always been more known to die from battle wounds that silly diseases and illnesses. He felt the rumble under his feet, looks like he actually did disconnect the carts. All those people stuck in the middle of nowhere with a few dead guards and three knocked out personnel. Poor bastards Time Bomb thought, well it wasn't his problem.

He went back to Cart O's control panel room. "How long till we get to Ohio?" He asked Safe Zone.
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby (CH3)3CLi » Sun May 04, 2014 4:46 pm

Spiderling's confirmation eased his immediate worry that Surface had just decided to frag it and leave people behind, but her previous scream left something to think about--who was he kidding? She sounded like a junkie. The distortions in her voice when she responded to him seemed worrisome, but he figured they'd all return to the control panel eventually, so he didn't consider following them and finding out what's wrong.

When Time Bomb returned from his foray with a cigar clamped between his jaws, Safe Zone smiled. At least the troll managed to sate his vices. He thought for a moment about the question, taking into account the several hours they had already spent on the train and the new speed of travel.

"Depends on where in Ohio this train is stopping at. Normally, it'd be a 13-20 hour one-way trip. In this case, though, we'll probably be there in about 7 to 10 hours. That being said, let's avoid actually stopping in Ohio. With this two-car train, they'll probably arrest us on sight."

Safe Zone rested his back against the wall adjacent to the booth's door frame, facing the blinking lights and beeping monitors of the control panel. Before long, he slid down to the ground and sat there, weary from so much exertion so soon after getting out of prison.

"Frag it, I'm taking a nap," he announced as he stretched out parallel to the wall, making sure his feet weren't in the doorway. "Can't even be fragged to move, dammit, I'm so tired." He shoved the spell book under his head as a makeshift pillow and quickly dozed off, not even bothered by the discomfort of sleeping on the ground or having his head pillowed by the metal cover of a textbook.
Pyrophoric

Postby (CH3)3CLi » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:09 am

Orange = NPC

Jillian Pennell

“Sir, GridSec’s reported unresponsive commlinks from a New York City Horizon train inbound to Columbus, Ohio.”

Jillian, the Lone Star intern, visibly trembled with fear as she gave the report to the chief. A GridSec alert forwarded to the personnel department several hours ago had gone unnoticed in the usual slew of forwarded e-mails about Lone Star officers skipping out on work, arriving late, “accidentally” breaking their commlinks, etc. Jillian mentally cursed the hypersensitivity of the system in flagging every minor breach of conduct as an alert and hoped the chief wouldn’t notice how late the report had reached his ears. Of course the department head sent an intern to deliver the bad news. Of fragging course.

“Unresponsive for how long?” the chief’s smooth voice asked the one question Jillian had been hoping to avoid.

“A-a few hours.” Jillian didn’t miss that glare the chief gave her. Definitely not. “I mean four. Four hours. …Sir.”

“How many?” Not a hint of anger in that voice. There was nothing Jillian feared more than the calm, collected anger of an intelligent person.

“Six, sir.”

“…I will deal with the personnel department’s abysmal response time later. And their lack of responsibility in sending an intern to give the report.”

Oh, thank heavens. Jillian could have whooped with joy at the chief absolving her of the blame. While she had known the current police chief of Lone Star’s Columbus branch was strict and fair, she hadn’t expected him to be understanding.

“Jillian Pennell--I believe your name was--do you have the train’s physical ID number and Matrix ID number? Any camera footage to pull? I don’t exactly expect the personnel department to have procured the information, but I do expect you to have read GridSec’s report.”

And there goes my bubble, yup. Think, Jillian, think. You did read that fragging report. Come on.

“I think… the physical ID was 60 001, and Matrix ID was… 34B6? Activation of the demiGOD IC triggered both an alert and GridSec’s report. No response from the train’s Matrix since then. All communications between GridSec and the train have been cut off following the report. The last available camera feeds have been identified as loops and yield nothing helpful.”

Jillian heaved a sigh of relief. The details of the report had come rushing back to her just in time. After initially fragging up “four hours,” she had kept her eyes on the marbled tiles of the floor, but now proceeded to sneak a peek at the chief’s face. She had spent plenty of time gossiping with the other interns in her department to know the chief was supposedly young—at least, for someone who held the rank of chief—and handsome, but she didn’t expect him to have the most intimidating stare she had ever seen. Making eye contact with steel-colored eyes made her afraid to blink.

“Satisfactory. You may leave, Miss Pennell.”

Regis Stiller

Regis cracked a smile as the intern scurried off. He was aware of his icy reputation and did his best to maintain it, offsetting the inevitable disdain he received for being the youngest person Lone Star Security, Inc. appointed to Chief of Police. To be fair, his promotion had a lot to do with him exposing the previous Ohio police chief’s attempt to embezzle 10 million nuyen from Lone Star, but people were salty and didn’t like the idea of taking orders from a 25-year-old. Honestly, he would have prferred to just relax and make friends during his breaks in the office, but sacrifices had to be made, apparently.

He tapped a few imaginary keys on the commlink keyboard projected only in his vision and pulled up a direct communication line with the snarky, elven head of TacDiv, Fiyala Louret.

“Ms. Louret. Please pull up GridSec’s latest report on Horizon Locomotive 60 001, Matrix ID 34B6. The personnel department has just notified me of the aberration.”

“What if I’m busy, drekhead?” Fiyala was the only person who had the gall to speak to him like that. Rather, she had developed that impersonal tone with him after he found her company entertaining enough to call her at odd hours of the day just to have her look at meaningless reports. She had quickly caught on to his game and the two had developed a strange friendship.

“I’m serious this time. Whoever they are, they got past Horizon’s demiGOD.”

Fiyala didn’t have a response to that—rather, Regis heard a quick intake of breath and a period of silence as Fiyala skimmed the report.

“Drek,” she breathed, “the train’s completely closed off.”

“I need SWAT on that train ASAP. GridSec’s working to break past the communication lockdown, but I want that train manually stopped in its tracks. Wherever the culprits are headed, I don’t want them to get there.”

“How do you know there’s more than one?” Fiyala countered.

“Not even the most skilled decker in the world can take out six Lone Star guards while simultaneously looping camera feeds and cutting off Matrix communications—on top of dealing with a demiGOD IC, mind you. This is a group offense. I’m aware you dislike the Brute Squad, but, just this once, work with them. Better safe than sorry.”

“Fine, Regis,” Fiyala sighed in defeat. He was right. She hated the idiots in the Division of Patrol, but Regis had an uncanny sense for danger and she wasn’t going to doubt him now. “I’ll get the Brute Squads stationed at all major Columbus terminals and send SWAT after the train itself.”

“GridSec will give you the train’s last known location. Extrapolate from there. From the report, I’d estimate it’s only five or so hours from Columbus.”

Fiyala Louret

Fiyala didn’t waste any time inputting squad assignments and distributing them. Five hours was nothing in terms of preparation time. She pulled up direct lines to the Division of Patrol’s head and the emergency line that broadcast to everyone under her Division of Special Tactics.

“All units, we have a CODE 0, possible 187 on board a hijacked Horizon train inbound to Columbus, Ohio. ETA five to six hours. Consult your commlinks for your stations. Suspects are considered armed and dangerous. We are mobilizing both TacDiv and all units of the Division of Patrol—chief’s orders. Stop all trains arriving and exiting Columbus. SWAT, switch to the encrypted frequency.”

“Commander Sieghart here. SWAT is on encrypted frequency.”

Fiyala ended the announcement, switching over to SWAT’s frequency.

“I want the sniper teams set up around all major stations in Columbus. Wait on suspect identification via the commlink’s AR before firing. We have no idea what the suspects look like, but we are on the lookout for anyone exiting train 60 001 from New York City. Train’s last known location is visible via your commlink map. I want three teams of six heading to intercept the train in APCs, two teams of five cover them with assault drones and sniper fire from two helicopters. The rest of you will be building a barricade with towed, unclaimed vehicles and greasing up the tracks up until the edge of the city. Prepare demolition charges as a last measure. Team assignments will be provided by your commander. Any questions?”

“What happens if they get to Columbus?” the commander asked.

“We don’t know, but they were able to hijack an AAA megacorp’s train and were skilled enough to get past its demiGOD IC. If nothing else, Horizon will have our heads if carelessness now causes bigger problems for them in the future. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not lose our contract with Horizon to Knight Errant.”

“Understood. No further questions. Moving out.”

Nicholas Sieghart

“All right, squads, listen up. I want Teams Lincoln, Queen, and Zebra spread out and coupled with a Brute Squad at all marked locations. Adam, Boy, and Charlie—APCs, intercept that train and derail it before it reaches the city outskirts. Nora and Ocean on helicopter cover. David through King, grease those tracks and prep those barricades.”

Safe Zone

The sound of helicopter blades and roaring engines woke Safe Zone from his dreamless sleep. The first thing he noticed besides the new sounds was the stark orange of the world outside, before his eyes finally adjusted to the day’s twilight. A sudden pang of hunger hit him and he felt nauseated from the combination of low blood pressure, moving train, annoying noises, and lack of food.

Annoying noises. Wait.

Frag. He knew what those noises were. They were the same ones he heard before Lone Star wiped out most of the Red Stilettos engaged in that turf war near the Bellevue district—and imprisoned anyone who survived the massacre.

“FRAG THIS DREK! EVERYONE, GET UP! LONE STAR SWAT IS HERE!”

Enemy Information:

Vehicles:

APC - Ares Roadmaster: Speed and handling of a tank. Can withstand small arms and grenades. Heavily armored and nigh impenetrable--as long as the doors are closed. It sacrifices offensive capabilities for full defense.

Rotorcraft - Ares Dragon: Cargo helicopter doubling as troop transport. Sturdy, but lacking in offensive capabilities.

Personnel:

3 APCs - 6 officers each. (All armored, naturally.)

1 Driver (remains in vehicle at all times unless the situation gets desperate)
    2 Adept officers (mages who use magic to enhance combat capabilities--equipped with katanas)
    2 Regular metahuman SWAT officers equipped with combat knives, stun batons, and a Colt Government 2066 heavy pistol
    1 Squad Coordinator (decker sporting harmless, disc-shaped Sikorsky-Bell Microskimmer recon drones)

2 Rotorcrafts - 5 officers each. (All armored.)
    1 Driver (cannot abandon aircraft)
    1 Sniper (Cavalier Arms Crockett EBR)
    2 Deckers (both controlling 1 GM-Nissan Doberman drone; drone safety locks will be disengaged once targets are cleared by the AR system and drones will be deployed)
    1 Squad Coordinator (same as above)

Weapon safety locks are on remote-controlled release until commlink AR receives the confirmation to open fire from GridSec.

For combat purposes, taking out the drones = nullifying the offensive deckers. Squad Coordinators do not have assault-type drones available immediately and, at most, will call for backup.

Drivers are regular metahuman SWAT officers equipped with the same gear given to other regular metahumans on the team.

Adepts can attack at fully enhanced capabilities for 3 minutes before the drain overwhelms them. Needless to say, they won't waste mana like that unless pushed to do so. With trained pacing, they can boost themselves partially/intermittently for 15 minutes.

Lastly, a horribly-made image for reference.

Pyrophoric

Postby Sigmas » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:28 pm

Swift began stretching after waking up from his rest. Things seemed quiet, so he opened the window to get some air. While he did enjoy it, he was finding the trip amazingly dull. What was the point of transporting a hot package if they weren't going to run into trouble? As if on cue, Swift heard Safe Zone yell out that Lone Star was coming. Looking in the direction they were headed, he could see APCs and helicopters. "Well... Maybe they'll do something about my boredom."

Time Bomb wasn't particularly fond of getting woken up so abruptly. But knowing when law enforcement was coming was always a good thing, so he let this slide. He stood up and looked out from the front window to see the cloud of dust in the distance. He wasn't a thinker so he looked to Safe Zone. "What we do?"

Swift took a moment to count the clouds of smoke and dots in the distance. Let's see... one, two... three APCs and... two choppers! Well, boys and girls, it seems we made impression!" He walked towards the conductor's room, knocking on Spiderling's door on the way. "Yo, Spider! Slow this thing down, will ya? It'll buy us some time." He then made his way to the conductor's room where Time Bomb and Safe Zone were, hearing Time's request for a plan. "Well, suffice to say, we need a way off this train. By now they've likely got everything set up to stop this hunk o' junk wherever we come in from."

Time Bomb wasn't sure how Swift could predict them so easily. "How you know that, Elf Man?"

"'Kay, still working on names, we'll get to that. But I've pissed Lone Star enough times to know how they like to try things. With this many guys just to come here, there'd be a lot more behind 'em in case we push through." Swift took a moment before speaking again. "Basically, they're gonna be lookin' for this thing no matter where it goes, so best to find another way in. And I see five coming right at us. If we can get on board one of those APCs or helis, it'd be a helluva easier to sneak into Columbus. Any objections?"

Time thought for a moment on the idea. It might work, or they might get killed trying. Then he had a lightbulb moment. "Why not Tattoo Man make us not here?"

The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby (CH3)3CLi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:04 pm

Safe Zone

Swift's, well, swift response reassured the mage that there was some hope to surviving this situation. His initial panic from the memories of the day he was arrested and imprisoned slowly subsided and, once the nervous jitters stopped, Safe Zone considered the plans on the table. Swift's idea would procure them a Lone Star APC for transportation with better equipment for them to use, while Time Bomb's suggestion to have Surface cloak them to safety would get them out quickly and with minimal risk. Usually, he would have opted for the plan with the least risk, but something nagged at him about the cloaking suggestion. He didn't know what Lone Star had in terms of tech and cyberware, but his instincts flagged the simple solution with warning bells. Lacking the evidence to support his refusal, he didn't mention his misgivings about Time Bomb's idea and instead answered Swift with an affirmative. If the elven assassin wanted to say something about Time Bomb's idea, Safe Zone would listen. After a quick, uncertain glance at Time Bomb, Safe Zone turned to Swift.

"We're not outrunning the helicopters in an APC. I'm down for your plan, Swift, but we'll have to take the helicopters out of the equation. Their bird's eye view in this open area means they won't lose us any time soon."

White-hot electrical sparks danced down Safe Zone's arm as he considered a lightning spell, a large one this time, not those taser-like currents he had used to accidentally fry the previous unfortunate victims.

"I can probably short-circuit one of the helicopters' motors once they're closer, but I risk taking a hit from whatever offense they have on the second helicopter. Swift, if you and I know Lone Star like I think we do, they've probably got at least a sniper or two per helicopter."

Safe Zone paused.

"Wait. How do you even intend to take an APC, anyway?"

The question's answer was pretty obvious, honestly. They only way they were going to take an APC was to, at some point, remove all the original occupants of said APC.

"Oh, no. You don't mean..."
Pyrophoric

Postby Scrambles » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:19 pm

Spiderling awoke from her restful position cradling the half empty bottle of wine she had procured by Safe Zone’s shouting. Groggily she sat up and grumbled to herself, thinking she was still dreaming. Swift then banged on her door to make sure she was up which caused her to jump in her seat and fall to the floor. “Ow.....” He rubbed her elbow that she landed on and than gave herself a slap on the cheek to sober up the best she could.

Walking out in to the hall and towards the console, heard the sound of the helicopter make its way to the rag-tag team of convicts. “WhaAts GoiNg oN?” Her voice distorted as it usually did when she was not thinking about it, with the slightest hint of a slur. She did not stop moving towards the console as she asked however.

Clearing her throat, or at least making the habitual attempt to do so, Spiderling jacked back in to the trains systems. The demiGOD appeared next to her, this time as a helpful attendant.

“Spiderling, several unauthorized users have attempted to gain access to the trains systems.” Its droll, digitized tone was very matter-of-fact on the matter. She nodded to its report and waved it off.

As per Swifts suggestion, she slowed the train down to half speed, though it took longer than normal as the keys on the console moved around a bit as she looked at them.

“Ssslowed doWn a Bit....” Despite her best efforts she could not stop her voice from distorting at her current level of intoxication. She turned around in her chair to face the others. “TheY arE TRying to GaIn AcCess to THE SysTemss. The demiGOD cant shtOp theM FO-” Spiderling suddenly stopped, lost in thought.

A wicked smile slowly creeped across her face. “Heh....Heh heh....heh HeH hEH.” She turned around without waiting for a reply and began drunkenly write code for a little surprise for whoever made it past her new digital watchdog. Drunk as she was, Spiderling had written more complex code in even worse states before. The particular little trap she intended to set was one she knew like the back of her hand.

“Heheheh.....No SpYing on the ShPidEr......”

Postby (CH3)3CLi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:45 pm

SQUAD ALPHA - DYLAN

“Target in sight, preparing to intercept,” a willowy elf male spoke quickly into his commlink, fingers a blur in the air, typing commands to his drones on his mentally projected keyboard.

Dylan, Coordinator for Squad Alpha readied several Sikorsky-Bell Microskimmers via his cyberdeck, waiting for the train to rush straight into several APCs. He relayed ready check signals to the other teams’ Coordinators and called up Priss, Squad Nora’s Coordinator.

“Nora, this is Alpha, checking if the helis are going to converge in time.”

“Nora, here. Helis are ready to intercept. We’ll be there when the train—or what’s left of it, I guess—gets to you. My recon drones are already out and registering a heat signature from the diesel engine, but that’s all I can tell from this distance. Few more minutes and I can give you the number of distinct heat signatures on the train.”

“Ocean, Charlie, how’re things going on cracking that train’s Matrix?” Dylan prided himself on being an expert decker and wanted a chance to lecture the other Coordinators on how to hack a PAN correctly, expecting Jenny and Pith—Squad Ocean’s and Squad Charlie’s Coordinators, respectively—to respond with some kind of defeated whimper or two before Dylan cracked down on them to boost his own ego.

SQUAD OCEAN - JENNY

“Actually, I think we’re in!” Jenny’s chipper voice kind of pissed him off. “GridSec managed to remotely hold off the decker’s defenses long enough for us to hack into the train’s PAN, so I think we’re good to go! …Huh. This area in the train’s PAN Matrix seems surprisingly empty….”

“Don’t get cocky,” Dylan snapped back. “We’re dealing with a decker skilled enough to take down a megacorp’s demiGOD. Don’t let any programs execute while you’re in there.”

SQUAD CHARLIE - HECTOR

"Ocean, make sure your PAN firewalls are up before proceeding." Squad Charlie's Coordinator, Hector, spoke quietly to Jenny via a private commlink line, aware that Dylan would make an example out of the poor girl if he found out she entered an unsecure PAN's Matrix without putting up PAN firewalls.

"Thanks, Hector!" Jenny responded on the same line. "You're a lifesaver!"

SQUAD NORA - PRISS

“All squads, the train’s slowed down--looks about half speed now.” Priss relayed the message and had the satisfaction of watching the APCs maneuver onto the tracks immediately. If the train slowed down, it wouldn’t be able to pick up enough momentum in the amount of track left to push three heavy APCs out of the way. The APCs rolled forward on the tracks in a single file line, approaching the train.

“ETA, approximately 8 minutes,” Dylan relayed back.

ENEMY INFORMATION (UPDATED)

Vehicles:

APC - Ares Roadmaster: Speed and handling of a tank. Can withstand small arms and grenades. Heavily armored and nigh impenetrable--as long as the doors are closed. It sacrifices offensive capabilities for full defense.

Rotorcraft - Ares Dragon: Cargo helicopter doubling as troop transport. Sturdy, but lacking in offensive capabilities.

Personnel:

2 Adept officers (mages who use magic to enhance combat capabilities--equipped with katanas)
2 Regular metahuman SWAT officers equipped with combat knives, stun batons, and a Colt Government 2066 heavy pistol
1 Squad Coordinator (decker sporting harmless, disc-shaped Sikorsky-Bell Microskimmer recon drones)

2 Deckers (both controlling 1 GM-Nissan Doberman drone; drone safety locks will be disengaged once targets are cleared by the AR system and drones will be deployed)

Weapon safety locks are on remote-controlled release until commlink AR receives the confirmation to open fire from GridSec.

For combat purposes, taking out the drones = nullifying the offensive deckers. Squad Coordinators do not have assault-type drones available immediately and, at most, will call for backup.

Drivers are regular metahuman SWAT officers equipped with the same gear given to other regular metahumans on the team.

Adepts can attack at fully enhanced capabilities for 3 minutes before the drain overwhelms them. Needless to say, they won't waste mana like that unless pushed to do so. With trained pacing, they can boost themselves partially/intermittently for 15 minutes.

APC SQUADS
    SQUAD ALPHA
      Coordinator: Dylan
      Adept: Pin
      Adept: Jacks
      Regular SWAT Officer: Trevor
      Regular SWAT Officer: Jason
      Driver: Tracy
    SQUAD BOY
      Coordinator: Pith
      Adept: Yue
      Adept: Bathilda
      Regular SWAT Officer: Unger
      Regular SWAT Officer: Jeremy
      Driver: Iris
    SQUAD CHARLIE
      Coordinator: Hector (inside train's PAN Matrix)
      Adept: Quip
      Adept: Qiang
      Regular SWAT Officer: Kanako
      Regular SWAT Officer: Jin
      Driver: Denise

HELI SQUADS
    SQUAD NORA
      Coordinator: Priss
      Decker: Yser
      Decker: Injura
      Sniper: Trick
      Pilot: Kenny
    SQUAD OCEAN
      Coordinator: Jenny (inside train's PAN Matrix)
      Decker: George
      Decker: Cerise
      Sniper: Lyra
      Pilot: Fritz

Updated reference image:

SAFE ZONE

Before Swift could answer Safe Zone, Spiderling trudged in reeking of alcohol and barely teetering her way to the train's control console. While she pulled off everything Swift had told her to do without a hitch, Safe Zone couldn't help but notice the unsteadiness of her typing and the new erratic movements she sported as she happily coded some new program into the train's Matrix. Sure, things could be fine, but Safe Zone wasn't keen on taking chances with three APCs and two helis bearing down on them.

"Spiderling. Before you continue, give me a moment of your time."

Safe Zone interrupted the elf girl's giggling and dropped a hand on her head, firmly. Ethanol on GABA and glutamate receptors, more ethanol circling around in her bloodstream. And this was after the liver had been filtering her blood for the past 2 hours. Un-fragging-believable.

"Exactly how much alcohol by volume was in that liver poison you drank?" Safe Zone muttered as the healing magic detoxified Spiderling's body and boosted her mental focus. He cleared out the ethanol just enough to get her focused (and prevent a hangover later), but left lingering vestiges so she could still savor the last of her inebriation. He raised an eyebrow at Swift nearby after severing the healing magic from Spiderling. "I guess I should have been more specific when I told you to watch her--I meant keep her from geeking herself on alcohol and drugs."
Pyrophoric

Postby Scrambles » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:14 am

Spiderling finished preparing her clever trap just as Safe Zone laid his healing hands on her once again. She blushed profusely when he chided Swift on not stopping her from drinking. She never did have great self control and being locked up certainly didn't make it easy to stay on the wagon.

Before she could reply she was alerted to two deckers accessing the trains PIN matrix. “Hehehehe...its starting.....” Spiderling said as she spun back around and cracked her knuckles. As she jacked back in to the matrix she activated her special little trap and the virtual walls of the train suddenly became covered in spider webs. These digital creations served as both her console throughout the virtual world of the train and gave her a direct, yet distant access to all who touched them. As long as she touched the webs, she was in complete control.

“Time to see who came walking in to my web....” Spiderling said with an eerily gleeful tone. Her virtual self got up from the chair and walked toward the hallway leading to the next car. Her footfalls made no sound on her webs. The intruders however, unfortunately found it difficult to move at all as their feet became stuck whenever they walked along the webs.

“What the hell is this? A spider web?” Hector exclaimed as he yanked his foot off the floor yet again.

“This is weird...Alpha this is Ocean, we’v come across some sort of strange-Alpha? Alpha do you respond? Hector I cant contact the other teams from here.” Jenny stated to Hector as they both continued trying to move towards the conductors car.

“Drek.....something isn't right-”

“Whose come walking in to my web?” Spiderling interrupted, her voice brought down a few octaves and echoed through the car to help intimidate her prey. As she spoke the webs grew stickier for the unlucky pair who now found it impossible to move at all.

The two deckers both created flame bathed swords and tried to hack away at the webs. The cyber net burned away and rewove itself almost instantly.

Spiderling laughed, her voice bouncing off the walls as their swords slowly became covered in the web, the flame snuffing out and eventually being too encased to swing.

“How is this possible? We have the latest firewall protection!” Jenny was now becoming frightened by the turn of events.

What light there was in the virtual train began to wane and from every shadow poured forth swarms of tiny black spiders.

“Do you? Did you happen to have them on as you entered MY matrix? So nice of you to hand over the latest LoneStar security specs. The cost of such an easy admittance. A fair trade, no?” Spiderling giggled to her self as the black swarm engulfed the entire car. Jenny screamed and attempted to break her connection to the matrix, only to find something holding her in cyberspace.

“Hector I cant log out! Whats going on!?” Jenny was in a near panic at this point.

Hector tried to remain calm but the digital swarm was now beginning to crawl on to the two deckers. His display of the matrix began to jump and warp the more spiders climbed on to him. Jenny screamed in terror as the spiders swarmed them, leaving only their faces uncovered.

With that Spiderling walked in to the car, striding effortlessly across the webbed floor. She was grinning from ear to ear, her face altered to show six glowing red eyes and her mouth filled with razor sharp teeth.

“Time for the Spiderling to feast.” She walked over to Jenny who was now paralyzed with fear and placed her hands on the deckers temples.

“Leave her alone!” Hector shouted.

Jenny twitched violently for a moment as Spiderling dove in to every piece of tech the decker had. Forcefully. “Such nice toys....and you have more friends too...” She looked to Hector, still grinning wickedly and spoke, this time her voice box tuned to sound like Jenny.

“Those of are some impressive firewalls......hehehehe.....thanks for the backdoor.” Suddenly Jenny and Hector were booted from the matrix. Both were being shaken by their squadmates in an attempt to bring them back to their senses. Before they could explain what just happened to them every VR screen went dark.

The rest of their squad mates looked at each other confused for a moment before everything came back online.

“OCEAN,CHARLIE WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED!? YOU WENT DARK FOR 5 MINUTES!” Dylan shouted in to his commlink.

Hector took a deep breath to regain composure before responding. “Alpha we have a problem! Shut down and reboot everything!” He attempted to do just that but his admin status had been revoked on all levels.

“OCEAN CHAR*Crackle* WHAT*Crackle* ON!?” Dylan replied but the commlinks became drowned in static.

Suddenly a tiny, chibi looking version of a spider appeared on every LoneStar display, cane and hat in hand. It began to dance and sing.

“Hello my baby!~”
“Hello my honey!~”
“Hello my ragtime gal!~”

As it continued another spider appeared and joined in the spectacle, then another, and another until the displays were clogged with dancing spiders and the commlinks were filled with either static or the singing.

“Send me a kiss by wire!~”
“Baby my hearts on fire!~”

Spiderling exited her direct connection to the matrix, keeping her wireless connection with the demiGOD active and burst in to laughter, swinging her seat around. “Now’s your chance boys! Their comms and targeting displays are down but I don't know for how long! Hahaha! I hope they enjoy the show!”

Postby Sigmas » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:48 am

Swift shifted his eyes away from the others momentarily in response to Safe's comment on his "failure" to prevent Spiderling from getting drunk. "I... try not to get between a woman and her booze. Last time I did... I wound up dodging more kitchen knives than I cared to see in a lifetime."

Things were happening fast. Swift had to admit; piling onto the tracks was a clever response. He was also worried about the snipers, as almost their entire plan required them to board the APC from the roof of the train. However, his woes disappeared almost immediately disappeared when Spiderling announced that she had successfully hacked into the LoneStar's systems. He didn't even try to hide his near-devilish grin. "Nice..." He looked back to Safe. "Well, there's your answer to the snipers. We'll have Spi lock down their guns. That should give you a clear shot. As for the other..." His gaze moved over to Time Bomb, who merely stood and listened, letting the others figure out a plan. "I figure these train doors are pretty heavy. Think you could 'aim' one at the second chopper?"

Time smirked, cracked his knuckles, then his neck. "Leave to me." He moved to the door to gauge it's weight. Heavy for most, but not for him. "Say when, I smash."

The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby (CH3)3CLi » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:54 am

SQUAD ALPHA -- DYLAN

Dylan knew a successful Matrix attack when he saw one and with Hector and Jenny still reeling from the dumpshock, they were down to three Coordinators to try and get a handle on the situation. He felt a vein pulse in his forehead. Those two had walked into a trap and the enemy decker had downloaded a copy of Lone Star’s security programs—not just the security programs, but the targeting program, AR command console, fragging everything. They didn’t have a choice. In a complete breach of protocol, Dylan quickly deactivated GridSec’s remote control on his squad’s projectile weapons, using a hidden backdoor he had installed on his squad’s weapons before leaving the city. He didn’t think he would ever have to use it. The damn idea had only been a joke with himself to see if he could even undercut GridSec—and now he needed to use it under the worst conditions.

He was ashamed a security breach this heavy happened on his watch, but Dylan refused to let the enemy’s decker frag freely with the system. After releasing the locks on his squad’s guns, he sent an emergency shutdown signal to the other Coordinators—a failsafe that bypassed all security and permissions checks that only he was allowed to use as Squad Alpha’s Coordinator—and forcibly shut down the PAN Matrices of all his teammates. He wasn’t worried. They had all been trained in scenarios like this. Sixth world technology was amazing, but not necessary. Going back to the old Fifth World skills and abilities was always an option every SWAT officer had to realize was on the table. He couldn’t decouple the other squads’ weapons from GridSec remote control, but he trusted the other Coordinators to have their own methods of overcoming an official PAN shutdown.

Communication to the other teams were gone until they all emerged from their APCs and spoke to each other directly. Dylan grimaced. As much as he didn’t like Jenny, he hoped the dumpshock wasn’t too rough on her. The worse the biofeedback, the longer it took to recover. With three minutes before interception, Dylan braced himself for the initial impact that would stop the train and damage the diesel engine, but would also slam the APCs together momentarily.

Pin and Jacks, the two Adepts in Squad Alpha, fizzled with magic. While the PAN shutdown had been a mild surprise, the Adepts had never relied all that heavily on technology anyway and prepared to jump out the moment the impact from the train passed.

“Your weapons are still usable. I’ll take responsibility for that later if we survive this,” Dylan spoke as he stopped Trevor and Jason from preparing to switch to their combat knives and stun batons.

“What? How?” Jason asked, checking the unlocked pistol in his hands. Dylan was right; the weapons were ready to fire.

“I’ll explain later—or, I guess, Lone Star will explain in the official report after they fire my ass for this stunt.”

SQUAD BOY -- PITH

Pith saw the emergency shutdown coming the moment his screen was flooded with dancing spiders. In fact, he had been about to shut his own PAN down and command his squad to do the same when Dylan’s forced shutdown signal hit them. The shutdown was a sign things were getting desperate. Pith toyed with the idea of hacking into his squad’s weapons, but he didn’t have enough time. Without communications from the other squads and only direct communications with squadmates in the immediate vicinity, the Coordinators were rendered mostly useless. Pith fired up an unauthorized cyberdeck he had implanted without Lone Star knowledge or permission because he didn’t trust Lone Star’s official cyberdeck—and with good reason, it seemed, considering the latest turn of events. His personal cyberdeck had a separate PAN Matrix that he had long ago coupled the recon drones to as a backup. Unfortunately, his personal cyberdeck didn’t have the clearance to contact Lone Star directly, and he set to work immediately using the drones’ security permissions as a proxy to inform GridSec about what had happened. He’d be in trouble for using an unauthorized cyberdeck, sure, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

SQUAD CHARLIE – QUIP

“Hector! Hector!” Quip shook the unconscious Coordinator roughly, knowing full well the massive dumpshock from the failed attempt to access the train’s PAN Matrix would render Hector and Jenny unconscious for several hours.

Hector had managed to get a warning out before collapsing, and Dylan had acted on it. For better or worse, who could say.

Quip looked at Qiang, who had already enhanced his body in preparation for the impact with the train. Even if the side doors on the APC were damaged in the impact, they would have no trouble kicking them out. Quip motioned for Kanako and Jin to use melee weapons as PAN Matrices went dark from the forced shutdown. The two regular officers were transfers from another city and were confused, disoriented, and had never encountered a situation like this. While most Lone Star training regimes rested on their Sixth World laurels, Regis had adamantly forced Columbus’s officers to undergo Fifth World-level training for situations just like this. Quip sighed.

“Get ready to do this Fifth World style,” he explained. “They should have at least taught you guys the basic theory behind gauging enemy movements, predicting attacks—without the augmented reality, mind you!—and proper aiming, right?”

Kanako and Jin nodded in silence, still reeling from the thought of having to do everything without PAN-assisted voice-overs and aiming reticules.

Quip shook his head. There was no way he’d be able to prep them in 3 minutes. Those two would have to fend for themselves.

SQUAD NORA – PRISS

“Dammit, Dylan! Wait!” Priss screamed as the forced shutdown took out her PAN. The helicopter dipped for a second as Kenny reoriented himself, but he quickly regained altitude and began manually piloting. Priss saw the other helicopter dip and swerve as well, but their pilots were capable and both were soon back on track for interception. She spun to check on Trick, but the sniper hadn’t even reacted to his PAN getting shut down. In fact, he was still wiping down the barrel of his rifle.

“Trick, the systems are down. You can’t use that,” Priss stated what she thought was damn obvious at this point.

Trick raised an eyebrow and smirked at her.

“You think my rifle’s ever been under GridSec control? You bunch of frag-ups didn’t even notice when I hired someone to remove the security lock on it and fake a secure signal. Makes me wonder if GridSec’s full of incompetent idiots or just naïve ones.”

“That’s illegal throughout UCAS, Trick. You’ll be arrested for tampering with Lone Star technology!” Priss checked the small LED light next to the safety indicator on the rifle. The thing was still flashing green to indicate the lock hadn’t been released, but if Trick was telling the truth, that was just a farce.

“Who’s going to arrest me, Priss? You? With what, the recon drones on the floor there? Yser and Injura can’t even start up their combat drones with the PAN shutdown. You piss me off, Priss, you’re going to be the first to go, and not whoever’s in that train. Let me do my job, and I’ll let you do—or not do, in this case—yours.”

“Actually, Trick,” Yser grinned at the sniper from his seat, “any deckers worth their salt would never rely on the kind of system Lone Star’s got, where one bad apple can get the entire group infected. Injura and I’ve got our illicit methods, too. Our unauthorized PANs are ready to go and so are the drones.”

Injura walked up to Priss after Yser finished talking, a scowl on her face. Priss was taller than Injura, though that was mostly because Injura was a dwarf and not because Priss was particularly tall for an elf or anything.

“Only Miss Snooty Booty over here trusts Lone Star so much that she wouldn’t even code a backup system for herself. Sit your pixie hoop down, chummer, and let the real pros do the work.”

She shoved Priss into a seat.

“Heh, Snooty Booty,” Kenny chuckled from the front.

SQUAD OCEAN

Jenny was dead.

After the initial dumpshock, the girl had suffered a panic attack while in the midst of a biofeedback flood. The stress on her system was too much for her to handle and acute myocardial infarction had set in. The PAN shutdown had followed almost immediately after her heart attack. In between everyone’s surprise, the helicopter dipping dangerously for a moment, and the reorientation, Jenny’s heart had stopped beating.

George and Cerise had tried in vain to wake her before Lyra checked her pulse and confirmed she was dead. In grim silence, Lyra had returned to her seat near the helicopter’s door, absentmindedly gripping her now-useless sniper rifle. What the frag had happened in that Matrix?

Now the entirety of Squad Ocean was useless and a Coordinator was dead. Everything was going wrong all at once.

The whirring of the two GM-Nissan Doberman drones snapped Lyra out of her thoughts and she looked at the two deckers incredulously.

“How the drek did you guys get that thing booted up?” Lyra was glaring daggers at them.

George managed a sheepish grin in response.

“Well, um, Lyra. A lot of the deckers in Lone Star swap little tricks and tips with each other, see? And, um… yeah. Back-up PANs and unauthorized activation of Lone Star drones are some of the tricks.”

“This is illegal!” Lyra shot back, raising the rifle to point at George, though she knew it was pointless. She had moved out of habit.

“Quiet down, chummer. We’d be sitting ducks like you if we hadn’t set this up. You should be fragging grateful,” Cerise’s icy voice shocked Lyra. Cerise had never spoken to her like that before, not with that tone. “Keep pointing that gun at George and the Doberman rips you apart first.”

A shell-shocked Lyra fell back into her seat.

Vehicles:

Personnel:

APC SQUADS
    SQUAD ALPHA
      Coordinator: Dylan
    SQUAD BOY
      Regular SWAT Officer: Unger
      Regular SWAT Officer: Jeremy
      Driver: Iris
    SQUAD CHARLIE
      Coordinator: Hector (unconscious)
      Adept: Quip
      Adept: Qiang
      Regular SWAT Officer: Kanako
      Regular SWAT Officer: Jin
      Driver: Denise

HELI SQUADS
    SQUAD NORA
      Coordinator: Priss (useless)
      Decker: Yser
      Decker: Injura
      Sniper: Trick
      Pilot: Kenny
    SQUAD OCEAN
      Coordinator: Jenny (dead)
      Decker: George
      Decker: Cerise
      Sniper: Lyra (useless)
      Pilot: Fritz

Updated reference image:

SAFE ZONE

Safe Zone readied his lightning spell, peeking out a window quickly before ducking back inside. The helicopters were easy targets, but he didn't want to alert Lone Star before he was sure he would hit. Spiderling's expert decking made sure he was mostly safe, but there was no reason to get complacent. His aim with offense spells was terrible, anyway, just like his aim with guns. Yeah, he'd be waiting until the helicopter was above them to fire.

"So I'm a drekky shot, Swift. Pre-warning in case I miss something right in front of my face. Because that's happened before. What do you intend to do with the APCs, while we've got a few minutes to talk before collision?"
Pyrophoric

Postby Sigmas » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:05 pm

"Well, that's where things get a bit tricky..." Joking aside it was a real concern. He only saw one way onto the APC, and it had "bad idea" written all over it. "See, it'd be best if I get in there before they hit us. So I'm gonna have to go on a little trip, with the help of a certain 500 lbs. Troll."

Time Bomb had just finished ripping the door from it's hinge without damaging the door itself when he heard his name, and a "plan" to throw someone. "You want to fly, Elf Man?"

"That, I do. And I think it'd be best if we didn't miss the APC. Pretty sure 'roadkill' doesn't look great on a resume. If they get here first, I'll just have to be a bit more careful." Swift looked back to Safe, with a drekky plan already laid out in his head. "So here's the thing. I don't expect everyone coming at us to be 'by-the-books', so trying to lock their weapons may not work. If you're gonna take that chopper down, you may need a distraction. And it'd be great if you have the spell ready to go. If you need me to, I'll help steady your aim." His eyes moved back to Time. "We need you to use that thing as a shield for a little while. Grab their attention, then when the first chopper's down, use it to take care of the other one."

Time nodded, knowing exactly what Swift wanted. "Like giant Frisbee." He went through the motions as best he could in the confined space. Weight of the door wasn't a problem. He just had to make sure not to miss. He walked to the Emergency Exit hatch, opening it up and pulling himself onto the roof of the train. HStep by step, he approach the front, denting the metal from the sheer weight of his step. Finally, he pounded his chest with a roar. "I HERE! COME GET ME!" With that, he held up the shield, prepared to block any shot the snipers had to offer.

The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby (CH3)3CLi » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:06 am

SAFE ZONE

Well, looks like he wasn't waiting until the choppers were on them.

Before a sniper bullet eventually pierced that train door Time Bomb was using as a shield, at least one of those choppers had to go down. The closest window was to Safe Zone's left and he had no way of knowing which helicopter to take out first. They didn't have the time to debate that. He fired up the lightning spell completely, the drain hitting him like a truck. What did Swift say? Something about "roadkill" being a bad idea? He was feeling that, oh, yes.

"Ugh. Fraggity frag. I'm probably gonna need a breather after this one. Yup."

The condensed sphere of white lightning radiated immense energy and Safe Zone struggled to keep the energy from affecting everyone near him--he could feel the ball of lightning on the brink of exploding right in the fragging room and if he had been a better offensive mage, the lightning spell wouldn't have needed this long to prepare nor have been this risky to prepare. He made a mental note to practice more. Without wasting any more time, he leaned out the window, bracing his right arm against the front vertical bar of the window frame and letting nearly the entire upper half of his body stick out like a sniper's dream target.

"Swift! Grab my left arm and point at the rotors! Shoot that heli down!"

Swift was there immediately. The elf grabbed Safe Zone's arm from behind, ignoring the minor shock he received from the magical lightning coursing down the mage's arm. He faced the center of Safe Zone's palm directly at the front rotor of the helicopter closest to them, just in time to see the helicopter's right side door crack open and the loud report of a shot aimed at Time Bomb.

"Fire!" he shouted at Safe Zone.

Safe Zone obliged, relieved to release all that energy towards something before it blew everyone in the train up instead. The massive bolt of magically enhanced lightning struck the helicopter instantaneously, blowing apart both the front and back rotors and sending the entire aircraft spiraling into the ground, the right door flying open and two figures falling to their deaths, flailing all the way down. The helicopter spun and crashed into an APC, both vehicles careening off to the left from the impact.

The sonic shock wave of the sound barrier breaking sent Safe Zone flying into Swift, slamming the assassin against the window frame behind them, the two of them dropping to the ground in the aftermath. Safe Zone would have apologized and gone for the heal, but he was too busy trying to get up and simultaneously convince the ground to stop spinning. Nope, not working. While he had directed most of the magical force away from the train, he wasn't a skilled enough mage to fully manipulate the physics resulting from the attack. His eardrums rung from the attack. He managed to raise himself onto his hands and knees, but that's where he'd stop for a while.

"Your... turn," he gasped to Swift in between huge gulps of air.

SQUAD NORA -- TRICK

"What the drek...." Kenny, the pilot, saw the emergency hatch on the train burst open and a massive troll climb out wielding a...train booth door?

He heard the troll's scream even through the acoustic thumping of the helicopter blades.

"Trick! We got one enemy in sight! You can't miss it--it's a fragging troll on top of the train!" he shouted to the back, unlocking the right door of the helicopter.

Trick grinned and cracked open the right door, leaning out and quickly finding the target--well, who couldn't find that target, seriously. The troll was an easy shot and he figured it would only take two bullets to pierce that mildly armored train door. Sure, Horizon trains--and megacorp trains in general--were pretty hefty and mostly bulletproof, but SWAT snipers had armor-piercing rounds for a reason. He aimed for the upper half of the train door, prepping two shots to hit the troll somewhere at least mildly important. The first shot went off without a hitch and he saw the deflected bullet heavily dent the door. As he prepared to fire again, he noticed a flash of light out of the corner of his eye.

Before his mind could even register the flash as an attack, the sonic shock wave slammed into his ear drums and elicited a scream before the helicopter nosedived into the ground. The initial spin had slammed everyone against the cracked-open right door, throwing it completely open. Trick instinctively grabbed the top of the seat closest to door and held on, but not everyone was so lucky. He saw Priss and Injura fly out the door and splatter on the ground in a mess of blood and brains. That was all he had time to register before the front of the helicopter smashed into the front of Squad Charlie's APC, crushing Kenny in the process and throwing him and Yser onto the ground, albeit at a much safer altitude than Priss and Injura earlier. Safer. Relatively. Yser tumbled to the ground and figured he was all right, until the helicopter actually hit the ground and smeared his body across the dirt. Trick's legs received the same treatment.

SQUAD CHARLIE

The sudden impact threw everyone to the ground. Well, mostly everyone. Those thrown to the ground had the better end of the deal. Kanako had been sitting closest to the weapons rack in the APC and had her jugular vein sliced open by one of the katanas dislodged from its wall mount. As the group struggled to regain their bearings, she breathed her last.

Quip and Qiang were all right, for the most part, but Jin was unconscious and Denise was a splatter of metahuman blood and entrails mixed with warped metal. They didn't know what had hit them, but they didn't have time to dawdle in the APC. Both Adepts grabbed a katana and Qiang shot a boost of magic into his legs, sending the APC door flying open with a single kick. The two of them hopped out to find themselves about 300 meters from the other APCs and 300 meters too far to stop whatever the enemy had planned in time.

"Frag!" Quip shouted and boosted his legs for a high-speed sprint back to the others.

SQUAD OCEAN

"WHAT THE FRAG!" George had watched the entire scene from one of the helicopter windows, helpless to save any of his fellow SWAT officers. First the troll holding an armored train door and now two squads were seemingly out of the picture. The giant lightning bolt would have been one thing, but the events that followed were far beyond what any drill instructor prepared the officers for. That the enemy aimed for the helicopters first showed they were no amateurs. That the enemy had enough skill to charge that kind of spell and hit both rotors with it showed that SWAT was about to get fragged in the ass. "Cerise! We have to deploy the drones, now! Fritz, lower us! Lower us, quickly! Land before something geeks us, too! Drek!"

George had seen one person--or was it two people?--lean out from the train's left side and shoot Squad Nora down with a lightning bolt, but he had been a little occupied watching what had happened afterwards to fire on them with the drones. Could anyone really blame him after that spectacle?

Fritz unlocked both helicopter doors and began descending, hearing George and Cerise open the doors, sit down as they jacked into their drones' systems, and the clattering of the Dobermans' steel paws as the drones launched themselves out of the helicopter and landed on the roof of the train, in front of the troll holding a makeshift bulletproof shield. The Dobermans were now George and Cerise, for all intents and purposes, and they immediately opened fire on the troll, determined to pin the monster down.

SQUAD BOY

Iris stopped the APC as the horrific scene unfolded in front of her, about to abandon her position out of panic when Pith grabbed her by the shoulder and held her firmly in her seat.

"Calm down. Don't get any closer to that train, but don't drive off the track either. We're supposed to stop that train before it gets to Columbus. The civilians are our top priority. If you bail now and let that train cause collateral damage in the city, we've failed at doing our job. You knew the risks in this job."

Pith returned to his seat. The drone's proxy permissions had gotten him in contact with GridSec, and while they had taken a while clearing his SIN and making sure he was actually him, the process had finally completed and he had already updated them on the situation and asked for backup. The only issue was that backup would be an hour in coming and he wasn't sure they'd last an hour. Not against something like this.

"Iris, unlock the doors. I'm sending out some drones."

Iris obliged and Pith's recon drones zoomed toward the train just as the Dobermans landed on the roof. Eight distinct heat signatures. And it had only taken one of those heat signatures to destroy an entire squad. Pith doubted criminals would leave hostages alive if they were willing to slaughter SWAT officers in their way. Still...just in case. A quick SIN scan revealed five SINless heat signatures and three civilian SINs. Just five criminals, then. All very skilled criminals. What was a group of highly adept individuals doing together in this kind of situation? Pith updated GridSec with that information as well.

"Nobody engage them, yet. At least, not inside the train. They've got civilians on board. Wait until they're out in the open without the defenses of armored doors and proximity to their friends."

SQUAD ALPHA

Tracy stopped when Iris stopped. She understood the caution after what she had just seen, but her mental fortitude didn't waver. She turned back to look at Dylan, waiting for orders. The Coordinator's jaw was hanging so far down his face he could probably catch a few flies. Tracy's mental fortitude wasn't wavering, sure, but she bet Dylan's was, especially with this dramatic situation--one so far out of protocol it made his subversion of GridSec weapon control look legal.

"Dylan. Get it together," she said, snapping her fingers in his direction.

Dylan recovered at the sound of the snapping, shaking his head to clear some of the shock out. He couldn't believe what he had just seen and could hardly process the situation at all. Without waiting for all his senses to kick in, he stood up, seeing the two Dobermans drop onto the roof of the train.

"All combat personnel, out! Now! I want a full assault on that train while those drones keep that troll busy!"

Pin and Jacks glanced at each other warily. Dylan had lost it. Sending them into combat without even scanning for number of enemies or trying to assess the situation? If he couldn't use his recon drones, he was essentially useless, and he had already unlocked Jason's and Trevor's weapons. What use did they have for him if he was going to lose his drek?

"Dylan, aren't you going to scan first?" Pin asked, giving him one last chance to calm the frag down, or at least explain why he couldn't use his recon drones when the other deckers were able to use their assault drones.

"I ORDERED YOU TO ASSAULT THAT TRAI--" Dylan's retort was cut short by Pin's quick sucker punch to his face, magically enhanced for extra knockout.

"Okay, guys, let's wait to see what the folks in Boy are going to do. We don't have comms with them, so be ready to jump out and assist them when they start moving," Pith commanded, nonchalantly throwing the unconscious Dylan in a corner.

Vehicles:

Personnel:

APC SQUADS
    SQUAD ALPHA
      Coordinator: Dylan (unconscious)
    SQUAD BOY