(Re)Destroy/(Re)Build OOC - Sign ups Closed

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Re: (Re)Destroy/(Re)Build OOC - Sign ups still open! Come all!

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:18 pm

Vege mentioned it before. Their powers could counter it their own unique ways.

Also, knocking me in the chest with hammer, sounds awfully painful.

Now I must improvise another way to die. My original plan was to force an ultimatum between Bel and myself, most of the faith would ofc be placed that Bel would be willing. My grand exit has been stalled. D:<
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:24 pm

Tenshi Nova wrote:Also, knocking me in the chest with hammer, sounds awfully painful.
Painful, yes. Permanent or even temporary damage to your body? No. I could have it explode into light as soon as it hits you, I guess. That would make the force of the attack seem a little less... heavy.
Tenshi Nova wrote:Vege mentioned it before. Their powers could counter it their own unique ways.
True, it could be erased... or...

... ... ... ... ...

I mean, he could make like a shield of cars or something? I don't know, it's the entire Statue of Liberty! How can anyone survive that? LOL

Regardless, either way you just lost 2 rolls in a row. Didn't Veggy mention something like "don't plan too far ahead" to Draken? I'm struggling to stay in the present, let alone plan for the future. I told you a 2 on 1 would be ass.
Tenshi Nova wrote:Now I must improvise another way to die. My original plan was to force an ultimatum between Bel and myself, most of the faith would ofc be placed that Bel would be willing. My grand exit has been stalled. D:<
You wanted to "die?" Well sorry to disappoint...

I think.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Not much of a plan. I though of it when Dean started the mini earthquake.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:44 am

I'm pretty damn busy now and the week out, but I can manage to post today.

Tenshi Nova wrote:Much like when Dean just walked away from me, to Carrie, and back.
I would've loved to intervene there, but that was quite some time taken from me :p

Oh, sorry brah. The thought did occur to me, but I figured you'd have already made a second move against Carrie if you wanted to. You seemed much more concerned with yapping with Damian than finishing off a wounded foe. It just felt weird to have Dean walk into the building, but hold off on doing anything just in case someone would interrupt him. Chalk it up to weakness in the medium, you can't interrupt someone in a text message.

Tenshi Nova wrote:What's stopping me from posting something like,
Ricky turns a rock into an Ironman suit, and high speeds away?

Right now, nothing really. You can do that. It's stated explicitly in the rules the loser of an exchange has the right to dictate what happens afterwards. Which means you can decide you run away. As you might have seen earlier, we're also free to pursue though, though you should at least get a headstart.

Notably though, you've written a lot about how your power is unreliable in your CS though, and it hasn't failed yet. I would think it would be prone fail when you try to create complex and impossible machinery. It gets a bit ridiculous if you can use it both to create statues of liberty and sci-fi weaponry without a hitch.

Birdofterror wrote:True, it could be erased... or...

... ... ... ... ...

I mean, he could make like a shield of cars or something? I don't know, it's the entire Statue of Liberty! How can anyone survive that? LOL

Well, the statue of Liberty is man made. And Dean can control man made objects..... Or he could create something equally big as a shield. Why assume Dean's power can't work at the same scale as Ricky's?

Alternatively, we could establish that there's some limit to how big object Ricky can change things into. It gets kinda stupid when he begins throwing planets at us. Really, I'd also think it would be more fun if the power was used for something besides chucking big objects.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:29 am

But big objects are fun :D

I haven't included the possible failure of the powers yet, since it was my first couple times using it. I was thinking of adding that the statue of Drake could possibly turn into a bobble head, but since I didn't get to throw a jet at Bel, I thought I could get away with it :D
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Draken30000 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:26 am

*jaws theme*

Avatar and Sig by Zelosse. (He is cool like that)

Postby Vegedus » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:43 am

I like this. I gotta have more resurrecting villains in my games from now on.

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:57 pm

Draaaaaaake heeeeeeeelp!
Ayuuuuda me!
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Veggy, you know if you get knocked out I'm going to have to laugh my ass off, right?

Other than that, kudos for staying on the offensive. This battle is far from over.

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Draken30000 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:39 pm

Tentacle assistance is inbound...soon. XD

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Guess I wasn't specific enough. By smoke bombs, I didn't mean smoke grenades. I meant like the little pellets, but it doesn't really matter.

ik the system relies on people's risks, but the lack of death makes it bit...boring? Not the word I'm looking for, but it comes rather close. I can already see people not risking death, even in situations where it'd be appropriate.

Also, what's with Dean's powers? He can control virtually everything, and the things he can't he can just summon. I haven't read to far into anyone's character bios, just the name, age and appearance. I did it so it feel more like your character learning as they come across it, but Dean seems to be able to do anything.

Also, I'm still hoping for that mysterious traveler :3
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Draken30000 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:32 pm

Your point about not risking death is the reason that I suggested some sort of scaling or escalating risk requirement the longer this RP or an individual conflict goes on. I kinda forced it upon myself, Drake was practically always in combat so I just risked more stuff until...well you all know what happened XD

Postby Tuor » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:38 pm

Tenshi Nova wrote:Also, what's with Dean's powers?

He's a GM's character, that's what ;)
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:58 pm

It's a RP about PvP FFA. Where the GM's character have a possibility of winning(or like, sharing the win. Went back to reread that post :p). Just my opinion, but his character shouldn't be godlike in an RP like this.

Edit: Oh! Also, in this situation, those fucking arms would probably kill Ricky if contact is made, seeing as he doesn't have the physical means to go crazy tank. I could try turning one of the remaining rocks into a shield, but the damage from the backwards impact would fuck him up.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:29 am

It's true, Dean's power is very powerful. Especially in an urban setting. In the beginning, it was sorta balanced out by his lack of imagination and meekness, but that's gone now that he has more confidence. That was intentional.

And it's true he shouldn't be more powerful than any of the player characters. BUT the fact that he's a GM character means that he was written and posted before any of the PCs, for the specific purpose of being a baseline. The purpose of Dean's power was to say "yeah, you can be THIS powerful". I don't think he's actually more powerful than Carrie, since she destroy ANTTHING, in a large area, at range. Dean's power is more versatile, but Carrie's is super offensive, which is what counts the most. The reason she hasn't been complained about is likely because I risked, and lost, power exhaustion for her early on, so she could no longer erase at will. I might do that for Dean too if he keeps overusing it.

But yeah, both of their powers are made to say "yeah, you can do something on this level". Remeber how I said it was okay that your power could transform living things, as long as there was a catch to it? That was because that wouldn't be overpowered compared to the power of my characters.

I'll quote myself:
The power should obviously not be godmode and overpowered, but the rules are partly there to ensure you can lose no matter your power, and it should definitely be powerful.

"Godmode" just means you shouldn't be invincible and have one-hit kills. It doesn't mean you can't have god-like powers. "Overpowered" is a relative measure, it just means your powers shouldn't be much better than everyone elses. So the operative word is "powerful". The way I see it, when there's one person left, they'll have the powers of a omniscient, omnipotent god. Right now, 5 of us is splitting that power. We've discussed before how characters could become more powerful for each one killed. All of us should be godlike, really.

And really, I do think we're close to evenly matched. You can change something into anything, I can create anything man-made, plus control the environment. The latter, like your power, is supposed to be a bit unreliable, but that hasn't been shown since he's been mostly succeeding his rolls.

And really, that's what it comes down to. It's not whose power is stronger that decides who wins, it's the dice. Your power has exactly zero influence on you winning, it's just fluff. The only good an overpowered power will do you is utility stuff, like helping you get around or get away (your iron man suit example), tracking people or healing. Notably, Dean is not a surgeon, so he can't actually heal people even if he can make the tools, the thing he did with Carrie was also just inconsequential fluff, it doesn't actually help her win her next fight. It just means I can make more gory descriptions with her since she has some blood back in her body.

And if you can't see how an David can defeat Goliath, if that's what the dice dictates happens, well, think harder. Or ask for help. This is all imagined, we can make whatever happen we want to. Even if the powers are great, we're still all playing vulnerable, imperfect humans who can miss, or die from a bullet in the gut. In this situation, you could simply... Dodge. Dean has a lot of weight on those things, which means more momentum. You could simply side-step. He's also not super strong (though impliedly stronger than before the Cataclysm), so they likely slow him down. Or you could counter his attack with an attack of your own. By stopping the post while he was a few meters away from you, I deliberately gave you a chance to do something about it. If you can't figure out what, well, that's something you'll learn to do better as you play more games, it doesn't mean a solution isn't there.

Tenshi Nova wrote:ik the system relies on people's risks, but the lack of death makes it bit...boring? Not the word I'm looking for, but it comes rather close. I can already see people not risking death, even in situations where it'd be appropriate.

I forget if you have any experience playing on this site, but you should know this is one of the only games where you'll actually see character death. There have been other heavily PvP RPs, but I've never seen a PC character die in them. Generally, either the RP die before the characters do, or people find a way to de-escalate the situation. People are very attached to the characters and don't want to lose them, and for the same reason, people are very wary of killing other people's characters. I saw a RP end prematurely once because one player figured basically "welp, I'mma have to kill your character now, and that can't happen", and then much bickering ensued until the game fizzled out. The risk system actually give people a license to kill each other characters, and even if they don't use it, it's more than what most games here has.

And I really don't think a system where you could kill your opponent without them having a say in it would go over well. Like if the rule was "on a roll over 20, you can kill your opponent". Some people would be really upset over it, and rightly so, because it's not fair to lose your character to a bad die roll or another player's selfishness, plus it would just wreck the pacing of the game. It's true the rules could use some kind of escalation mechanic ala what Draken is suggesting, but I think we can rely on sportsmanship for now. I don't think there's anyone currently playing that is not ok with their character eventually risking death. I'll be the first to admit this isn't a perfect system, but I don't actually think this is a problem yet. IF this actually becomes an issue, we can talk about it.

Besides, if you consistently avoid risking death and your opponent does, you're going to have the crap kicked out of ya. You can take a chance to win or lose, or you can lose 10 out of 9 encounters, at which point you'll be riddled by -1s and have your character come off as sort of pathetic. I don't think that's a better tactic than dying with dignity.

Postby Hallow Nova » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:29 am

This is my first text RP on the site, and ever. :D
I feel bad for pretty much making you repeat yourself. T.T

Last question before I make a post, injuries that would eventually lead to death(unless healed), how would that work exactly?
Say, I get critically injured and run off. Would I just eventually die?
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:53 am

Hm, well, yeah, I guess you would. You would make a couple of post of you bleeding out in a gutter, no one comes to help, and you die when it seems appropriate. Remember that the risks on the front page are just examples though, so if that sounds like a grim prospect to you (and it is, it's probably a death sentence in your situation), don't take it. You don't get such an injury unless you risk it.

Postby Draken30000 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:13 pm

Alright I will see how this latest conflict plays out, then I will fix the tentacle deficiency this little battle seems to have.

Postby Hallow Nova » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:02 pm

I'm going to get my ass kicked, Vege is coming at me like Vi.
Have you seen a Vi go at a Shaco? Vi squeezes the poor guy into his own JitB.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:58 am

You REALLY like throwing shit, don't you?

Bird oft Error

Postby Hallow Nova » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:17 am

Now imagine if I knew how to juggle...
Oh wait, Ricky does :D
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:59 am

Next post from me will come... Some time during next week. Am quite busy at the moment.

Postby Belwicket » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:36 pm

I guess we're all waiting on Veggie?
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Draken30000 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:57 pm

Yep.

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:12 pm

I just kind of float around waiting for the perfect time.

The experience!

Bird oft Error

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing