(Re)Destroy/(Re)Build OOC - Sign ups Closed

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Re: (Re)Destroy/(Re)Build OOC - Sign ups open!

Postby Iris » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:29 am

Took me a while but the CS is mostly complete. Relations will come soon.

Name: "Noël Edge"

Quote: "As the world writhes in it's final moments it cackles at mankind's fate, for they struggle against one another, squabbling about who is right and who must fall. Which belief will hold out and which must be sacrificed. They all seek a path in desperation. Only tragedy awaits them.

As for me, it matters little to one such as you, for what I seek none can comprehend."

Background: When the calamity hit millions perished, men, women and children. Animals faired no better. When the calamity settled, Noël Edge stood amongst the ashes of civilization. Perhaps he was a survivor; that is the guess of many of those who hopelessly wander the ruins, a stranger who's mind snapped due to the chaotic nature surrounding him.
Or perhaps he was born of the calamity, others whisper fearfully who have glimpsed his mind and what he hides beneath his skin.

Noël himself cares little. What lies before him is a path few can even imagine.

Personality: Noël is an intelligent, pragmatic, enigmatic and to a degree, a philosophical man. Ever interested in the world and its state of flux yet he cares little when it comes to those who struggle in it. With a preference to speak, Noël abhors having to use violence mindlessly though he will not shy away from what he believes to be necessary at that moment.
Ever calm the man does not have much sympathy for those who have survived and while he is polite, there are hints of disdain with those who persist asking him questions on trivial matters.

Vision: Noël seeks not to recreate or remake the world as humanity once knew, instead he seeks to understand the calamity itself and halt its progression. Once he has halted this cycle he intends to leave the earth to it's fate, whether it is rebuilt by humanity or it's successors matters little to him. As he has no attachments to this forsaken world he feels that he is no longer obliged to interfere.

Instead he plans to create a world far from the conflict currently surrounding him, a place where he can watch the universe expand and grow, a world where he can witness countless miracles form and not suffer trivial matters stemmed from those who seek to use the knowledge he's gathered to supplement their goals or visions.

Power: "Corrupt that which is known."
To those who lack the understanding, Noël seems to have the ability to alter the properties of objects he touches. From turning steel rods into glass fragments or parts of a concrete slab into sand.
Yet the reality is far more complex. Noël is capable of altering the world around him through the knowledge he has gathered. So long as he has an understanding of an object, he is able to shift its properties. However he can only alter the world around him by physically touching it, the larger the object the longer it take to fully alter its mass.

A curious fact is that Noël is also capable of taking the knowledge of others or at least copy it, allowing him to glean facts not yet known to him. However this done through a battle of minds, those who are weak minded and weak willed fall easily to his mind but those who are filled with resolve can find themselves taking some of the knowledge Noël has gained.

Relation: "The creature known as 'Mnemonic' both fascinates me and yet brings me unease, observing this creature I have witnessed oddities that far exceed those who've I've stumbled across upon this wasteland. Though perhaps not in pure might but the way it has been affected by this... calamity, this evolution... this change is most intriguing.

And yet the unease that stems from the creature's instability as well as its origin come with questions that I am compelled to ask... though surely they will damn me."

Appearance:
Standing at a moderate height of 5"10 Noël is practically hidden in his clothing, choosing to wear black pants, gloves, a long dark brown coat, a white buttoned shirt and formal shoes. Even his face has been completely covered by a ski-mask over which rests an emotionless white mask and to top it off a fedora.

Each article of clothing seems to be curiously cleaned and neat, an oddity considering the circumstances.
Last edited by Iris on Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Vegedus » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:57 am

Aaaand the super-freaks cometh.

@Asmo: Luv it. Your second power isn't quite clear though: You can transform the envirornment around you, as long as it fits with possible alternate paths of history? So you could go "Hey, remember how the Nazis won the war?" and suddenly there'd be swastikas and tanks everywhere? Is there any more to it than changing the envirornment?

Also, bonus points for being the first to have a relation and further points for having relations to everyone :P

And if you feel like it, you can multiple visions, what with the split personality :)

@Iris: The vision reads kinda contradictory: He wants to stop the world from ending, permanently/indefinitely, yes? And then he wants to create the dyson sphere, not by completing the cycle and creating a new universe with the sphere in it, but by halting the destruction of this one, and then building it himself, by hand, yes? "leave this forsaken world to it's fate" sounds a lot like letting the world end, but that's not actually what he wants right?

The power mimic needs a down-side. You could say that he can only copy them temporary, and loses the knowledge later, but that's kinda boring. Maybe he can use someone's power as long as they're alive? Or the more power he copies, the more fucked up he gets?

And as mentioned, relation doesn't have to mean you knew them before hand. It can just be "Hey, I stalked this Mnemonic thing, it seems interesting, full of juicy knowledge. Barter him/her for it or break him/her open, hmmm..."
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Iris » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:13 am

I've reworked his vision to make his intentions clearer and altered his power. I think that in the end the mimic ability would actually contradict his need for understanding. After all not everyone fully comprehends their powers after all (probably), so their lack of understanding would prevent him from copying their power.

Postby Asmodai » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:00 am

Vegedus wrote:Aaaand the super-freaks cometh.

@Asmo: Luv it. Your second power isn't quite clear though: You can transform the envirornment around you, as long as it fits with possible alternate paths of history? So you could go "Hey, remember how the Nazis won the war?" and suddenly there'd be swastikas and tanks everywhere? Is there any more to it than changing the envirornment?

Also, bonus points for being the first to have a relation and further points for having relations to everyone :P

And if you feel like it, you can multiple visions, what with the split personality :)

Actually, his/her/its second power only works in combination with memories. Essentially it brings a memory into "reality" (read the part on the 'Egotistical Predicament' on that). So if there's someone in that mass of personalities that still remembers New York during the 50's, it can bring that back (for either a limited time, or permanent... depending on how far I can take this power). So unless someone remembers the Nazis winning the second world war, I highly doubt something like that would happen ;)
Mephobiac

Postby Vegedus » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:01 am

@ Iris: Right, I feel the same. The powers are an instinctive thing, not a knowledge thing, the mimic doesn't quite fit the theme.

The vision makes sense now, although I'd note that it's quite an ambitious one. The deterioration of the world is quite rapid and much of the damage done is likely irreversible. And it's not just earth that's falling apart. Plus, there's a character that can accelerate the end (there's another idea for a relation "gotta do something about her, like, real snappy, yo"), so you're practically racing against time looking for an unknown solution. Not to mention that this is the unending cycle of the multiverses you're tinkering with. Which, I think, is perfectly fine, just putting it out there :). If you're fine with that too, you're accepTED.

@Asmo: Ah, right, makes sense. History IS subjective though and I'd be unsurprising if there were some delusional people in the mass too, though ;)

Permanent change is fine, nay, delicious! Fucking up reality irreversibly, right?

And you didn't answer the part about: Is there more to it than changing the environment? Are the people in the memory brought back too? It shouldn't overlap with Hana's power, but perhaps there could be some ghostly forms, enacting old events, or no people at all, but things still happen like they did (cars driving around without anyone in them, f.rex)?

Postby Asmodai » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:33 am

Oooh, I like that idea! Maybe these 'ghosts' are simply what the person can remember of them, meaning that they cant do anything beyond what the memory of them contained. Stay in the "scene" long enough and they'll eventually loop whatever they were doing.
Mephobiac

Postby Belwicket » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:53 pm

Vegedus wrote:Wiccan elements... Should have figured... Except you don't use the one of the only one of them that makes them stand out from the greek ones, making them completely interchangeable. Also, you didn't my answer my question. Can your character control all of these sub-element? As long as you're only bending, not creating the elements I don't think that's too much, especially given that a lot of the pure elements will be useless in the setting. And also, I don't actually want you to answer my questions. I want you to tidy up your CS and make the answers apparent there. I don't care about your explanations and justifications.

And the gryphon is still lame and counter to the games theme.

Would you rather I make her a mass murderer who can control anyone with a single word? I'm trying to edit but I'm short on time nowadays.
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Vegedus » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:14 pm

I think I prefer mass murderer to wiccan yes. And control with one word is obviously ridiculously overpowered unless there's more to it.

And you must be just as ridiculously short on time given that you managed to add a whole 4 lines to your CS over 12 days.

Postby Vegedus » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Barring any unforeseen apocalypses, IC will be up tomorrow! This would be a good time to make some relations people (and for Asmo to finish his vision)! Remember, I don't have a huge plot and railroads for you guys to hop on, how you interact with the other characters is going to a big part of the game. I get the sense people have a tough time of them, so some pointers:

If it helps, you can think of them as "intentions" with another character, instead of relationships. Like, when the game starts, who is the person you're most likely to run into, and what how will you react when you do? You don't have to fully commit to hypothetical scenarios, it's just starting thoughts. Relations can be solely based on stuff you've learned about the person in the day after the calamity started, by talking or stalking them, or you might not have met them at all yet, and the relation is how you will act when you do.

Below are some suggestions/examples for relations. They need a bit more detail and personalization than here, but not much.

- X knew Y long ago. They were friends really, but fell out of touch. X is surprised to see him/her/it here of all places. But X cannot allow its personal feelings to interfere, if Y stands in its way, no mercy will be shown.
- X have met Y before, though it's impossible to recall when and where. Trying to bring out the memory only brings up an uncomfortable, sinking feeling. X saw Y walking the dead streets, but due to this ominous feeling, decided to avoid an confrontation for now.
- There's something wrong about Y. Every cell in X's just boils over with murderous rage when it encounters Y. Y must be stopped, killed, whatever, as fast as possible.
- Y seems gullible, malleable and a little frightened. It should be easy for X to make them believe they are on the own side and make them do all the hard work. X have already seen Z's power in action and is pretty sure they could need the backup. If X could get the two to kill each other, that'd be even better...
- Y is interesting. Plain and simple. Their powers seem quite useful and their persona quite unique. Y tickles X's curiosity in an odd way, I'd be a shame to just kill them outright, though it might well still be necessary.
- This is just awkward. X met Y at a bar many years ago. It was one of those relationships that might have been better had it been left as a one-night stand. As odd as it is running into this one person here, it's oddly comforting for X, among all the death and ruin, to meet someone associated with memories of warmth and intimacy. Even the bad memories are rosy on the background of the apocalypse.
- X haven't met Y yet, but they are inclined to be sympathetic to their goals. X can easily understand why Y feels the way they do, why they would go so far for such a irrational vision... But irrational it is. X cannot allow Y to succeed, that much is for certain. However, X knows not if it would be ignoble to string Y along, pretending they're on the same side, or just get it over with. Y will have to die eventually.
- Y seems like a soul mate in all this madness. The only other one as confused and apprehensive as X, and seemingly a decent person to boot. It'd be good to at least have someone to whether the storm with, or least get ones bearings.

And of course the more literal relationships of family, spouses, lovers, mutual acquaintances and colleagues. One could also have a relation to Asmo's character in the form of the person that he is most likely to take form of when approaching you; That is, you can write a suggestion in the relation field for what character Mnemonic should pretend to be when those characters meet. Or you could try talking to Hana about if perhaps she has revived a person your character knows. Creativity and shit.

Postby Hana » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:17 am

I spoke with Ro a few days ago, and (assuming his character is accepted) his character will be my relation...If the way we worked out out works.

They've never actually met, but her daughter was caught as a bystander in something his character did, and that's why the girl is dead...so if when Elaine finds out, there will be a reckoning.

Issat okay? I'm okay with being a relation to more than one, if we need it.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Vegedus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:29 am

Perfectly fine.

Postby Face » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:56 am

Can I get an idea of how powerful you want us to be using a comparison? Like, strong enough to solo an army no sweat? (city busting) Stong enough to conquer the U.S. by themselves? (continent busting) Strong enough to fight with the Z fighters during the cell games? (planet busting) Strong enough to kill Superman permanently? (multi-planet busting)

I don't want to make a really strong character, and then end up being too powerful to have fun with others.
No one dies

not on my watch.
The Man With A Face

Postby Vegedus » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:05 am

I'd say the first, city busting. Especially since one of my characters power is exactly that. Since 1v1 is gonna be the focus of the game, the powers need not necessarily be large-scale, however. It doesn't have to be able to take down an army, because you don't have to, it just has to be strong enough to match the power of the other people of the game.

The most important thing about the strength of the power is that it leaves room for other characters to react when you use it against them. It can be ever so brutal and deadly, as long as one can "dodge" or "block" (in a figurative sense as well as litteral). A power that works at the speed of light is unfair because no one can reasonably avoid it. An invisible power that you can't know about before it hits you is unfair. A power that can instantly kill under specific circumstances that can be defended against is fair.

Otherwise, look at the already accepted characters and my characters for example, I think they establish a pretty good baseline. For instance, note how Iris' character can "steal" knowledge from people, but he has to mind-fight them for it. Much the same with Asmo's, he can fuck you completely up, but only if he manages to out-willpower you first. My character Carrie can destroy blocks of city no probs, but I made it explicit that living things are harder to erase, so it is reasonable someone could resist being erased. As long as it has a weakness or limitation so it is reasonable anyone could defend or resist your power, it doesn't matter how strong it is.

Re: (Re)Destroy/(Re)Build OOC - Sign up! The end starting monday

Postby Vegedus » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:58 am

IC will be up monday. Partially so I can polish it off some more, partially so the last stragglers can get a chance to post their sheets, partially so you people can make your relations. Please try to get them finished by monday.

Postby Draken30000 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:40 pm

Who doesn't have a relation yet?

Avatar and Sig by Zelosse. (He is cool like that)

Postby Vegedus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:24 am

BG07 and Slipslash. You can have relation to someone who already has a relation just fine, though. They don't have to be mutual.

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:49 am

Considering joining, haven't RPed in a while.
Stuck between two character concepts I suppose. A philosopher/Marxist or a fellow who's decided the best way to make the new world better is to rule it himself.

Got a rough idea of a power for the second, but nothing I try seems to fit the first.
For the Greater Good

Postby BG07 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:16 am

I was actually just talking to Slip, we were going to have our relation be with eachother. I'll get to putting that in right now.

Ed: Hey Draken you can go ahead and use me as your relation if you'd like.

Postby Vegedus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:22 am

Cool, good to hear.
NeoWarrior7 wrote:Considering joining, haven't RPed in a while.
Stuck between two character concepts I suppose. A philosopher/Marxist or a fellow who's decided the best way to make the new world better is to rule it himself.

Got a rough idea of a power for the second, but nothing I try seems to fit the first.

Hm, I don't have any great idea for Marxism. A summoning or duplication power? Something "the power of many" themed?

With philosophy, there's lots of interesting options, though. Extreme solipsism, where you can make anything disapear if you can convince yourself it isn't real. Or dread existentialism, imposing dispair on people just through their being. Or Plato's "nothing we see is real" cave allegory, linked to illusionary powers, or shutting down other peoples senses. Or just all of this. Man, why didn't I think of this sooner.

Postby Draken30000 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:26 am

Alright mate, thanks! I will ping ya about my idea.

Edit: Relation is up.

Avatar and Sig by Zelosse. (He is cool like that)

Postby Slipslash » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:23 pm

EDIT2: Added in relation!
*WHAT I THOUGHT I'D DO WAS PRETEND I WAS ONE OF THOSE DEAF-MUTES*

Postby Vegedus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:37 pm

Cool! I have no objections. And it's shaping up to be a triangle, how nice. Hopefully it'll turn into a hexagon too. IC... Soon.

Postby Asmodai » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:40 pm

Soon™
Mephobiac

Postby Vegedus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:58 pm

No, the real soon. It's already written. The Soon™ is apparently when you'll have your vision up!

Postby Asmodai » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:21 pm

WELL GUESS WHAT?
Mephobiac

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing