(Re)Destroy/(Re)Build OOC - Sign ups Closed

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Re: (Re)Destroy/(Re)Build OOC - Sign ups still open! Come all!

Postby Draken30000 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:37 pm

I know you risked a leg piercing, but I figured it was a bit too early to give someone a crippling wound. I need to get over that if imma be a villain. Unless you want it to be pierced by something during the flinging XD

Avatar and Sig by Zelosse. (He is cool like that)

Postby Belwicket » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:49 am

Added to it. It's in a spoiler. Hope it explains a little more about the powers and limits.
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Vegedus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:59 am

Ah, yes, that actually makes sense. Finally it's clear what you mean by "energy" (which of course doesn't have anything to do with the real meaning of the word). Of course, it's still way, way too much, as noted earlier. One of those "types" would be more than enough.

And why that is a spoiler I have no idea, but really, there should be no secrets about how your power works, at least not to me.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Belwicket » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:51 pm

It's a definition of the different types and how they're controlled, not exactly pertaining to my character in particular. And I'm used to the spoilers on the other forum.
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:34 pm

First time playing an RP online, through text, so if I make any mistakes, sorry and I'll try to correct/learn from it. So far, I've read the first post, and skimmed through the rest of the forum(skimmed through the other players/characters too).

Name: Richard Stein Jr. (Ricky)
Side Note- He's constantly making up alter egos, never able to find the one that just fits.

Quote: "Look, I'm trying to work with what I got." "Crazy? Probably, but in a different reality it'd be crazy not to."

Background:
As a child growing up, Ricky was always the optimist. He always wanted to look at the bright side of things, and was always cracking jokes. Class clown to amateur comedian, his family never approved of his personality. Only barely able to stay on his feet, economically. He eventually had a loving wife and 2 kids, one boy, one girl. He started a few part times to support his family. He tried to play the comedian and optimist for as long as he could.
As time past his wife left him, taking custody of both their children. His family refused to help him, telling him he made his choices. He was walking home, on an awful stormy night when he got mugged and KO'd. He wakes up and for the first time in his life he thought there's no way it can get any worse. And what? God takes a crack at him and decides to end reality. It wasn't long before he realized everyone he loved was gone. Then he cracked, now he's his old comedic self.

Personality: Ricky feels that God has played a very well thought out joke on him. Making him go through this life, and when he questioned how low things could go, the world ends. At this point his old optimistic self returns to him, thinking now he has nowhere to go but up. No matter how serious a situation is, he'll try and make others laugh. He doesn't care for boundaries, and his humor gets dark quite often. He doesn't care for others opinions as long as he gets them to smile, you got to be able to take a joke if you ever want to be with this guy for more than 5 minutes. Ofc, he may just be hiding his darkest side.

Vision:
After hearing the Voice spoke to him, he assumed it was another one of God's tricks, a very charismatic one at that. He believe that the new reality just needs enough understanding so everyone can laugh. He doesn't care if he's the one that makes it, so long as whoever does is willing to add flavor to it. If he were to end up making the new reality, he's definitely going to be surrounded by the finest women and men imaginable, did I mention he is very open minded? In short, he believes God is messing with him, so he wants to mess with the people in the new Universe, but unlike the current, he makes sure they are 100% aware that he's doing this.

Powers: Hat Trick
He can basically change anything in reality, but the effects are temporary and don't always go the way he wants; can affect humans and can affect things at a range, the closer it is the better he can focus. Example: He may try to change a car to a gold bicycle. His powers would affect the care a random one of four ways. Success, which is what he goes for. He turns the car into gold, not bad. He turns the car into a normal bicycle, still effective. He turns the car into a monkey, doesn't always go this terribly off from his intentions, but he's tries to work with it. He can't give or take life, if he tries and turns an inanimate object to something living, it would just be the carcass; if he were to try and change a living thing, he can only turn it into another living creature. Not fully understanding the powers, there are a few consistencies. For the majority of the things he attempts to change, it's only temporary, usually lasting somewhere between 5 seconds to 5 days. He can change objects, but he has no control of it and can't change something he has already changed, at least not for a few days; nor can he change something back to its original form when he wills it. His power being unreliable, he attempts to use his wits to survive. He's heard of amazing powers others have, and thinks his power is another way God is messing with him, but he's good at improvising. Intelligent as he is, he also seems very lucky, he thinks this is also because God ain't done playing with him.

Relation:
"Want to be friends? I'll make you co-god in the new Universe. Or you could make me co-god, I don't see why there has to be one."

Appearance: Sexy
If that didn't get at least a smile on your face, we're going to have a long time.
He basically looks like Jeffrey Dean Morgan, except without the accessories, and more clean cut. His hair is jet black. He is 5'10''. He's also slimmer and agile.

I think I got everything down. I'm basically going for the annoying guy that's too useful to kill, and you can't help but love him in some strange 'my reality is being altered' kind of way.
Last edited by Hallow Nova on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:32 pm

Heh, I did smile.

Your vision is a bit vague. I'm not sure what "understanding" or "flavor" means in the context you write it. Clear that up and it should be fine.

There's some rookie mistakes in the power writing, namely a lot of redundant info, but nothing too serious. Two things that needs clarification: Can he change things at range, and at what range? And can he change humans? You decide, I don't think it would be too overpowered to have answer both with "yes", given the other limitations of the power.

My main issue with your power is, the way you've written it, it runs counter to the themes of the game. This isn't really a funny RP at all so the humorous approach is worrying. Now, I won't ask you to necessarily change your character concept, it could make good contrast for all I know, but I require at least that you keep the power fairly serious. Less monkeys and complete randomness more... I dunno, blood and darkness or whatever. It's fine that the power isn't quite controllable and has random effect, but please don't use it to turn things into poop or other such. This about the presentation about the power, not how it works, so you just need to rewrite so it sounds less Looney Toons.

Also, note, it's only been one day since the calamity, since the world ended. Unless your character had his power before that (which he likely didn't), you can't have waited two weeks for a check to turn back into a lamp post. Two weeks is a pretty long time-frame too, since I don't expect the events of the entire RP to play out much longer than that. Could be a couple of days, really.

Otherwise, looks decent.

Postby Belwicket » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:09 am

OMG IT'S JOHN WINCHESTER!
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Asmodai » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:07 am

Tenshi Nova wrote:Appearance: Sexy

This is brilliant, and I need to start using that as well
Mephobiac

Postby Hallow Nova » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:58 am

I edit my post a bit to try and clarify the problems you mentioned.

I think I know where you're going with this. You wanted it to be really dark and morbid. My character was pretty much inspired from Joker. Dark humor, homicidal, mentally unstable maniac, intelligent and lovable for it. I won't do stupid shit with the powers, considering it would most likely get me killed.

I don't see why the RP can't last longer than a few days. Gods take time in destroying each other and testing alliances.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Belwicket » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:58 am

Edited her power. Took out part of it. Hope it's better.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Vegedus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:43 am

@Tenshi. Ah, okay, I didn't quite get the 'disturbing joker' vibe out of it. I'm more favorable to it for it, then. Anyways, you're accepted! Go wreck havoc in the IC. As has been noted earlier in this thread, don't be shy about dropping on any of the going-ons.

@Bel. It is. Still all that other stuff to do, though. I encourage you to make larger changes instead of posting every time you change a sentence around because:

GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT: I'll be gone this weekend and will have sporadic internet and time at best. Then travelling most of next week. And then have some plans around the first of august. So posts from me will be sporadic during the next two weeks or so.

Postby Belwicket » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:57 pm

What more do you want? I've done everything in the multi-quote post.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Draken30000 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:09 pm

I love Hana but we might have to skip her for the sake of moving this along if she doesn't post soon =/

Postby Hallow Nova » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:28 pm

idk, she's directly affecting 4 others. How exactly would you plan to move on without her?
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Draken30000 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:11 am

It would be more like Carrie turns her attention to Drake and Dean, and we stall for time that way. She is still there, we just dont see how she reacts until she posts. Trust me, I dont want to skip over her, but we cant let it die out completely.

Postby Hallow Nova » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:57 pm

We could try and see what characters are doing elsewhere. That way we can continue it, while waiting for her.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:34 pm

I'd love to, but those people are themselves responsible for what they are doing. I can't make them post about it anymore than I can Hana. If one of those people are reading this, remember, you just have to tell me you need something to work with, and I can throw something at you! Otherwise, I assume you're responsible for your own fun or progress, so to speak.

And yeah, I agree that it would be hard to continue without Hana, at least much. Though, reality being weird and all that, I can easily conjure up a way for her to be taken out of the action, and save her punch for later. I'd prefer to hear Hana if she's okay with that before doing it, but I might do it anyway if necessary.

Also, it has occurred to me that we could have been saved a lot of trouble and time by starting all characters off in a central location, like, actually started face-to-face with everyone. It might not be too late to encourage something like that, though...

Postby Tuor » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Hana's gonna try to post soon c:
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Hallow Nova » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:26 pm

:happy:
I think we can be a little more patient.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Belwicket » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:36 am

My post went unanswered again.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Vegedus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:46 am

I'm getting to that. I didn't have the energy to spare yesterday. Relax.

Postby Belwicket » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:44 am

Ok. Thought you may have missed it.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Draken30000 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:31 pm

Trust me, I have patience. Waited on a thread for two months on another site before it finally got resolved.

Postby Belwicket » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:02 am

Well, normally, if a thread is dead for more than a couple weeks here, it's dead.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Vegedus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:47 pm

I'm off for Finland for the remainder of the week. If things haven't moven when I get back, I'll kickstart things.

Bel, regarding your characters power:

It's mostly understandable now, so that's good. The problems now are primarily that it's still too broad, too diffuse in it's central concept, and a bit overpowered. You only get one power. One. One thing you control, one thing you can manipulate or create. If you have multiple powers, they should be sub-powers of the overall thing, theme. Like how it makes sense that since Hana has control over life, resurrect the dead AND mend or warp flesh. You have a wide variety of powers with very different utilities (creation, telekinesis, mind fucking, puppeteer, scanning), with no central theme or belonging to no category of power beyond a very weird definition of "energy". I don't really care if it's how wiccan's define it or not, it's useless for these purposes. As mentioned, telekinesis on it's own is a super-powerful, it needs no additions. So, keep one thing. One thing, and then elaborate on that, adding logical sub-powers and limitations. Of what you have in there currently, telekinesis or the mind battling are the best candidates, but they're incredibly bland right now, so you should add something to make them more interesting, somehow. Some theming. Telekinesis really isn't very "goddess of nature" nor "end of the world, physics are broken" like. Or start over from scratch on the power. You'll note that I'm asking you to delete a lot, so it might not be much slower to do so.

Also, it's patently untrue you've corrected according to all the feedback I've posted earlier, so go look at that again if you need specifics.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing