Dragon Age: Divided Kingdom IC - Upon Crossroads.

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Re: Dragon Age: Divided Kingdom IC - Upon Crossroads.

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:33 pm

Works in the Dark - QUEST ACTIVE: Vovin
Lothering Camp

"Vovin Dranis, ehh," replied the Captain as he took off his crimson helmet. "Well met than, lad. I'm Captain Murdock. We've been having a bit of a problem, aye. It ain't a threat yet, but it looks like it could become a bit of a bugger soon."

The Captain waved Vovin to follow him to a nearby tent flanked by a few guards. "The issue we're having is that we think some of the Teryn's spies still exist within our ranks, but we've no way to track them nor find them out. Everyone around is too familiar with myself and my boys to bring anything up around us, but we catch rumors and hearsay on patrol and in the local taverns. The Arl wants them hunted down, killed, and questioned... or something like that, but I had a different idea."

Captain Murdock gestured to a table within to where a simple table stood, and on it was a hastily drawn map of the camp.

"We're here," he said, pointing to a red 'x' on the map. "We have refugees from Redcliffe here right now, but we're expecting more from the outlying villages and the Redcliffe Army within a few weeks. If the Teryn's cells are still operational, then they could cause the death of us later on. But if someone they didn't recognize, say you, was to find out who they are, and report it back to me, then I can ensure that they get false information. We'd use the Teryn's own weapons against him and make it count when the time comes. The choice though is yours on what to do, either hoodwink the bastards or kill them all. To find them though, you need to wander around the camp and listen to folks. Keep minimum contact with the guards though, if they suspect you're with us, they'll either try and kill you or vanish."

(GM Note: So this quest allows you to finish the job in two different ways. And it will influence the rest of the game)
1: Eliminate the spies in the camp - This will make it so that the Teryn's Forces cannot be aware of the internal movements of the Arl's Forces. Thus eliminating the advantage the Teryn's Army would have over them by knowing where and what they are doing, and blacking out the south region in the Teryn's network. Problem is if you take the spies out, the Teryn will know his intelligence network has been eliminated in the south.
-Expect heavier resistance in missions.
-Teryn will accelerate his plans, or move faster against the south.
-Assassin's Knife as a plot reward.

2: Bring the spies to light - This will cause the Redcliffe forces to know just who the spies are and the ability to feed them false information can be used, letting the Arl deceive his brother on the battlefield. Some information will still have to be passed to the spies network to keep them blind. Problem is not all deceptions are perfect, eventually the spies will realize something is amiss or their names will be leaked out. When that happens, the first situation with eliminating the spies will take effect.
-Buy time for the Arl's forces, allowing them to be bigger and better armed.
-Potential for information abuse and deception on the battlefield.
-Plot glimpses as a plot reward (potential to exchange for the Assassin Knife if certain standards are met

Detection eliminates all rewards and the quest will close.

A Templar in Hiding - QUEST COMPLETED: Isador, Deacon
Lothering Keep

"Excellent," replied the Arl as he stood by the window in his office. "I don't know what he'll have to offer us, but at least its a start in the right direction. Where was he? Did he say anything before he was captured?"

Valmyria Windstrider

Nothing was said for a few minutes after Azreal's information was put out into the open. Valmyria mulled over what she knew with what he had told her and ran through several likely possibilities within her head, weighing what to let him know and what not to.

"There is no 'us' in this matter, Azreal," quietly replied the Warden Commander breaking the few minutes of silence. "Should the Dalish call for the Warden support, well..."

She paused for a while, letting a group of humans pass the two before continuing on. "Ariane. A skilled tracker and hunter in the Dalish Ranks. She's one of Grand Keeper Assan's top Lieutenants. Tasked with primarily with scouting, but known to work logistics and guerrilla warfare as well. She'll find a way to get a hold of whatever Antonio de Alrigt had arranged for her. and if the Teryn is backing up the Dalish, then there is more than one supply line being funneled to them."

Postby Sigment » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:25 pm

Azreal Demian - The Harsh Truth

"So..." Azreal's eyes met Valmyria's with a look of dissappointment, but also of understanding, as she coldly stated her neutral standing in the situation. "You won't help either side unless they ask for it, huh? I guess 'I was born there' isn't a good enough excuse to help Revas'Thala when you're the head of the Grey Wardens. Can't blame you for that." What she said about Ariane also bothered him. His hopes of delaying support for the Dalish may have just been wishful thinking from the beginning.

"Well, for now I'll share the rest of what I learned." Azreal explained everything he could remember about his targets. The Guard Captain, Alistair Vernden, who would have killed the one called Gregor had Azreal not put him down. The Bann, Marc Anthony, who seemed to have convinced a former assassin to assist with Redcliffe. An assassin that Azreal watched die trying to right his wrong before putting the Bann down himself. He also recalled that it was the Bann's men who were searching Val's room for her "gauntlet". Finally, there was Duncan, the City Mayor. Azreal grabbed his arm at the reminder of the wounds he recieved in trying to eliminate his last target.

Trying. That's right. He was not the one that actually killed him. "He was killed by an assassin called 'Shadow'. He was-" Azreal cut himself off, deciding not to reveal the exact nature of his association with his former mentor. "Well, let's just say we know each other."

Before Valmyria could say something, Azreal opened his mouth again. "By the way... I need to ask you something, and I'd appreciate a straight answer." Azreal pulled an old locket out from under his shirt and opened it up. He stared for a moment at a picture of him and his family from his childhood before looking back to Val. "I haven't been back to Revas'Thala since that night. There's a lot that may have happened that I don't know about." His eyes narrowed as he asked his question. "The Rangers can hate me all they want for what I did. But tell me... Did they at least give my father a proper burial?"

___

Deacon Reinhardt - Mission Complete, Pt. 2

Deacon remained knelt down as he answered the Arl's questions. "Isador Strauss found Gregor inside a pub called the Grey Fox. I arrived shortly afterwards to assist in his apprehension." His eyes looked at the ground as he continued. "However, the Knight-Captain attempted to escape by taking a young hostage. There was... an incident after that, and Gregor was wounded in the process. His subordinates were killed at that time." Deacon wasn't sure if the Arl was aware of Valas' existence, so he did his best to avoid the issue.

"I'm afraid that Gregor said nothing to help us in understanding the Teryn's motives. However, it would seem that the Teryn's intentions were for Gregor to die along with the inhabitants of Redcliffe." Deacon's voice was clearly filled with concern, even he could tell. He decided to clear some of the air. "Gregor is... he was... a good friend from my time within the Templars. It troubles me greatly every time I try to think of how he could have become involved in the Teryn's scheme."
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby MQuinny1234 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:47 pm

Lothering Camp - Johnus Johnson

"Hmmpf." Having recognised a familiar face at the camp, Johnus had, thanks to having nothing better to do, walked casually after Vovin towards the tent. The tent surrounded by guards...Interesting. Probably someone semi-important in there. As for what they'd want with the big fellow, gotta be some sort of recruitment or job or something.

Forging contacts had to start somewhere so, for now, this could work. Plus, had the bonus of the fact that he only had to win over that muscle-head. If the job went south, accidently or intentionally, he wouldn't have to worry about someone with influence looking for him afterwards. Legitimate jobs had that risk. He pulled out a pipe and started puffing away until that guy came out.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Scrambles » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:12 pm

As the Black Axe and the Forge Master rode toward their destination Isador said nothing. Not out loud anyway. Within his mind however, he battled the pervasive memories of what he had done. The amalgam of this guilt and madness; the image of himself covered in blood-the part of him that was the Black Axe- rode a pale horse beside him. “Do you think this old fool can bring you peace? How long are you going to keep lying to yourself?” Marcus could not hear this hallucination, how could you hear the thoughts in another man’s head?

Isador kept his face emotionless as stone. It was all he could do to keep his inner struggle from being noticed by Marcus. “They will just give you a new name. A new title for all the death you will bring. After all that’s all we’re really good at isn’t it?” the Black Axe drew a finger across his neck, slicing it open like a knife. Blood ran down his neck and smiled at Isador. He closed his eyes for a moment trying to remember something good from his past. His other self was gone when he opened them again.

Isador thanked the Maker when the two riders reached their destination. The dilapidated shack wasn’t exactly what Isador had expected but the look on Marcus’ face let him know not to question the old blacksmith. True enough to his assumption Isador watched Marcus hit the ground with his mighty hammer and break the ground beneath them. Isador landed safely below at the bottom of the staircase and saw the wonders held within the secret cellar. Marcus moved with purpose to a wooden case as Isador marveled works of steel that rivaled the deadliest weapons he had seen throughout his travels. “So the old fool has a few trinkets. None of these can scrub the blood from your hands.” The figment of the Black Axe appeared beside Isador as he examined an impressive suit of armor.

This isn’t about washing away my sins. He thought to himself as Marcus brought a weapon wrapped in a fine cloth to him. They left the shack and out in to the streets. Isador removed the cloth and hefted the axe high and looked it over. It was not a weapon made for intimidation like the one that gave him his name. It felt so light in his hands. He stepped away from Marcus and swung the axe with deft precision.

“Think of all the suffering you will bring with that shiny buabble there.” The Black Axe cackled, blood squirted from the hole in his neck.

I will bring suffering no more….. He thought looking in to the giant red stone embedded in the pommel of the axe. He looked at his hallucination for a long moment. You and I are one. I will always be the Black Axe. I cannot bury my past….but I am putting you to rest. He closed his eyes again and began to picture what was to come. The lives that would be lost in the coming conflict with the Teryn, with McCullen. He thought of the countless others that would be saved. The villages remained unburned from hordes of darkspawn and evil men alike. Finally, he thought of those needing a pillar to lean on. A symbol of redemption and faith. He knew what he needed. What he had to bring to others in need. Isador opened his eyes again and the hallucination of the Black Axe was gone. He turned back to Marcus, looking at the axe and then to the blacksmith. “Deliverance.”

He looked Marcus in the eyes and shook his hand. His face remained stoic but his eyes betrayed the deep feeling of gratitude he felt Marus’ help. For a moment, it felt as though he had done something like this before with the old blacksmith. “Thank you Marcus….I will repay your kindness. If you want to have a drink sometime, I will be at the Dusky Mare.” There was a tinge of relief in his voice that was not there a moment before. He hopped on to his mount, weapon in hand, and returned to the Dusky Mare.
Last edited by Scrambles on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Draken30000 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:02 pm

Vovin followed Captain Murdock into the tent, making sure to take quick glances around the area. He knew he was safe here, but you could never be too sure. If there were spies he did not doubt that they could be lurking nearby. A captain would be a prime target to spy on. Vovin listened attentively to the details the captain dealt out to him. The thought of the Teryn's spies using refugees as cover set Vovin's blood boiling. Those people had suffered enough, and now someone dared to use their pain to his advantage? Vovin wanted nothing more than to off the spies as soon as he found out who they were. But he wanted to please this captain, and his idea made more sense than just slaughtering the infiltrators. So with a nod Vovin promised to discover the identities of these spies before he turned and left the tent.

There he noticed a familiar looking dwarf smoking a pipe, seemingly waiting for the Dragon Knight's arrival. The young man stopped and opened his mouth. "Oh...I know you!" he suddenly exclaimed. "Haha yes you were at that bar, and then the castle. I'm glad you are alright, but I don't think I got your name?"

Avatar and Sig by Zelosse. (He is cool like that)

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:58 pm

A Templar in Hiding - QUEST COMPLETED: Deacon
Lothering Keep

The Teryn offered only a frown in the moments of silence that came after Deacon finished speaking.

"My brother is cunning," he said, breaking the silence. "Although Gregor escaped his fate once, I'm not sure he will do so again. Tell me, can you think of anything about Gregor, maybe from what he said during the battle at Redcliffe, that would give us a clue why he decided to help the Teryn? If we can find a pattern, maybe we can identify the sort of people the Teryn has been recruiting."

Valmyria Windstrider - The Harsher Truth.

The Warden rolled her eyes at Azreal's jab at the Order. It was so much more complicated than that. It wasn't that she didn't want to help her homeland, she did. If Val could, she would drop everything and stand at the gates of her homeland with the intent of slaughtering any Dale Elf that dared come within range. But she couldn't. Her grip on the Order was frail enough as it was with half of the Warden's looking for any excuse to leave or rise up against her. The complex part of that problem was the amount of Dalish and City Elf Wardens in that camp, and the fact that the Dalish had a treaty with the Wardens that if they call for aid, the Wardens must answer. Should she offer her own people aid, she risked the problem of a civil war among her diminishing order.

And then no one would be happy, and Valmyria would most likely end up face down in a ditch somewhere.

Put it off as she may, something would force her to choose a side.

The Warden listened to Azreal's retelling of his little adventure. Although it had been a brief one, it shared its excitement. A few of the names she recognized, but new little about. Valmyria kept content with nodding her head occasionally as he ranted on. She made no move to press about the elusive shadow man, not really caring about another boogieman hiding in the dark.

His last remark, or question about his father caught her off guard and she spent a few moments struggling to recall what had exactly occurred.

"Azreal, you are aware of our laws and customs," replied Valmyria as she played with the gauntlet under her robes. "Your father was honored for the life that he lived, not for the man his son became. He was given a final rite."

TERYN - Redcliffe

"Good, I'd hate to see this place change into less capable hands," replied the Teryn as he scooped up a charred skull from the floor and examined it. "I can arrange for some additional troops to support you, some enhanced Darkspawn of mine, the favor of a few Fereldin Lords... some "resources" to get your enterprise up and running. Consider them an act of trust, rarely given between our kind."

The Teryn let go of the skull, it however ignored the pull of gravity and remained floating, wrapped in a blue arua. Dust swirled around the floor and extended up to the base of the skull. After a few moments, the dust settled and the skull was now a single skeletal warrior, complete with a sword, shield, and armor. "Perhaps I can even do something about little Ekora..."

TERYN - Vigil's Keep (Head of Warden Operations in Fereldin)

"I'm not exactly sure where you are coming from, my Lord."

The Teryn looked over at the man he was waking with and offered a warm smile. "Warden Godfrey, come now, we are both men from good positions."

The Warden gave him a snort and lead him up onto the battlements of Vigil's Keep. Vigil's Keep, the Warden's fortress in Fereldin since the last Blight. It was truly a breathtaking view when not covered in the fog. The ancient battlements and keep still stood strong and its people well trained to fight the horde of darkness, should they return again. The Silver Order, the Wardens, both groups based out of here. The Teryn knew them to be wise, strong, but also prideful and content.

Perfect for his little plan.

The Teryn sized the man up before him, Earl Godfrey. Hailed by many Wardens as part of the "Old Guard", being one of the few older members that still lived. Earl Godfrey was Warden-Commander Taylon Lothar's second in command, and was expected by many to replace the Commander after his Calling, but Lothar had shocked everyone by naming Valmyria his successor, defying centuries of tradition. The Teryn knew him to be a skilled mage, a sharp thinker, and a loyal man.

Again, perfect for his little plan.

the Teryn reached out and clamped a hand on Godfrey's shoulder. "Don't think too hard about it, but see it as a favor. My men might have acted out of turn, but it has placed you in a position to take what is rightfully yours."

"I won't hide it," he replied. "I don't like that elf, but I'm not comfortable with this."

"Earl, what's more important to you? The safety of a single woman, or the integrity of your order."

"Wouldn't killing her destroy that integrity?"

"Mere technicality," said the Teryn as he waved that idea off with his hand, and lead the man down the battlement. "Think about i though, your Order will have a chance to make an impact in life that has never been seen before. You have the chance to be at the head of it, where you belong. Don't be stupid about it."

"Thank you, my Lord," said the mage. "But I cannot accept this in such away."

"I see," said the Teryn, pointing forward with his hand. "Well, thank you for hearing me out, I do have a gift for you."

The doors to the hall opened before them, and out floated the skeletal corpse of the mage Kel, his eyes and hands ablaze with power. Earl hesitated, a brief second, before bringing his hands up and weaving a spell before giving a grunt of pain. He looked down and found runeblade sticking out his chest, blood staining his once elegant robes."

"I will have your corporation, Master Mage," hissed the Teryn. "If not willingly, than forcefully."

The mage couldn't do a thing, aside from twitching as his body was lifted into the air and carried into the hall. He fought against it, fought to escape into the darkness and the peace of death, but he found that some sort of force denied him that peace.

And soon, he'll learn that there is no peace in death.

As they traveled in the chanting becoming clearer and clearer.

Prodigia comploratus
Silens, oro
Regnet exitium.

Earl felt his body slide off the blade, and positioned in a chair at the front of the hall. He could feel the side of the chair with what was left of his nerve connection. He had been placed in the Warden Commander's chair. Before him was the Warden's he knew, some of them he knew as they grew up, watched nearly all of them take the mantle of Warden. They were his friends, his family, yet there was not a friendly face out in that crowd. Each of them wore a distant expression, faces and body's slacked, eyes filled with a the haunting purple gleam found in the lich earlier.

"You will serve me," said the Teryn, his form taking up the mage's view. The Teryn's noble clothing gone, and instead was his haunting armor. He raised the blade and impaled the man again, piercing his heart and the chair. "If not in life, then you will in death."

Magics wrapped around the pinned man as he groaned against the pressure of the blade stealing his soul. The Teryn grinned and turned back to face the crowd, raising his hands and causing the mass to start in another verse.

Grant them eternal rest, oh Lord
Embrace them into your army of undead
Strike with vengeance those who oppose your will
And lay waste to all those who shall be sent before you
Walk with them and shield them from the blinding light of servitude
And devastate your enemies as they die by your hand.

The Teryn let out a dark laugh. "Amen."

Postby MQuinny1234 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:27 pm

Johnus sniffed and looked at Vovin. "Ozmin. Ozmin Hummus" No point being dumb about this. "And I wouldn't describe things as alright. Darkspawn everywhere, everyone's paranoid and edgy, and I got no work." He blew out a smoke circle. "Anyway, I'll find someway to keep meself occupied. How about you? Big strapping fellow like yourself in wartime? Business muss be good?"
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Sigment » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:37 pm

Deacon Reinhardt - Recollection

Deacon dug deep to remember anything from Redcliffe that Gregor said. Though the battle itself had happened not even a week ago, it felt as though it had been a lifetime since that day. That day, Gregor and Deacon stood against each other in the courtyard, but his heart was not in the fight. He had held back, counterattacking only after suffering several injuries from the Knight-Captain's attacks. But before that, they talked. Talked like the friends Deacon wanted them to be, if only for a moment. Then he remembered Gregor's words.

"What I do is for the future, Deacon. The Wardens would have us living in fear of the darkspawn! They seek nothing else but power, lead by lust and blind ambition. I- the Teryn, he would have it otherwise. Where we live as free men... and I will do anything to ensure that we have this future."

"For the future... A world... where we live as free men..." He repeated the words in his mind over and over. "That is why he fought at Redcliffe, but I have no idea if he still believes it." In truth, Deacon wanted the same thing. But even if that was the Teryn's intent, he would never allow that to blind him to such ruthless methods.

________

Azreal Demian - Something to Look Forward to

"That's... good to hear." Azreal breathed a sigh of relief upon hearing that his father didn't suffer unfair treatment after death. He never regretted the decision he had made two years ago, and would do it again if it came to it. But at least the Rangers weren't so spiteful as to take out their anger on one who couldn't defend themselves.

Still, Val's response to his comment on the Warden's standing in the upcoming war bothered him. Clearly there was more to it that how simple he made it sound, but he couldn't really be sure of anything. He knew her well enough to trust that she would want to fight on the side of the Quel'Elhen... But would she in the end? Without realizing it, he gave her a stare suited towards one's enemy. He shook his head, trying to avoid continuing that train of thought.

"Well, maybe I'll get a chance to visit him someday. Assuming they'd let me, that is." It was a genuine concern in his mind. Could he really visit his father's grave without risking an arrow or ten in the back? He knew that she would never fully forgive him for what he had done, and it didn't bother him. But he didn't want them at each other's throats, that's for sure. Someone had once told him, "A wary ally is still an ally until you give them a reason to be an enemy." In Val's case, he wasn't sure if she would call him an ally yet, but "not an enemy" is at least a start.
Last edited by Sigment on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Zelosse » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:54 am

-Zha'Gren-
A changing world and a deathless life

Age was not something normally thought of when it came to Darkspawn. Who could say how old one of the wretched creatures the Hunter called 'kin' could become if it did not fling itself mindlessly and savagely at its enemies with the strength and stupidity that ruled such creatures. Old Darkspawn and Bold Darkspawn. Never the two. hardly an intellectual himself, Zha'Gren had been graced with something his bretherin did not possess, and that was the ludicrously rare gift of curiosity. Curiosity is what made Zha'Gren flee those other creatures long ago. Curiosity is what drew him to that campfire. Curiosity is what drove him to train endlessly with a man who made his stupid wild self back then nearly fall upon his blade hundreds of times. So close so many times and yet... He remembered that brief thought he'd had that moment before death never came for him all those times. How?
Blades were a wonderous thing, and the way they could be applied seemed endless at the time. it was only now after so many years using them it all forms did he realize they never had any other purpose but one. To kill. To defy another wielding one and live another day.
Zha'Gren had killed his trainer and only friend at the end of his training. The man who taught him was old at that point. Maybe not as old as Zha'Gren was now but certainly very old in his own life cycle.

Here in the city he dwelled almost aimlessly. Yes, he'd killed and hunted in the city but there was no fun to it. One murder had been for the selfish goal of living a little longer. Others had been sport. But none of them had BEEN sport. All were worthless and wasteful and pathetic. No kill gave him the rush, no butchery awakened that primal desire, no scream satisfied the darkness in his heart he knew would never disappear. No, he would not bother with it anymore. What fun was killing if it was not a natural killer defending itself? To slay an animal to eat is hunting. To kill a predator was sport. But to kill something that kills just for the sake of the deed? There was... honor.. yes, there was honor in that.
Perhaps thats why I follow. Should kill her now. yes. Kill... NO! His thoughts were a jumble. The primal voice fighting with his more refined one. The one that did not jump into battle with abandon. It was the one that planned its moves and aimed its blades. Both had a voice and neither was right it would seem.
Here sat sad little Zha'Gren. For the first time in his memory there was a foe he could not kill, or attempt to, simply because he respected her. The same way he had respected his old master... But he'd killed him, hadn't he? yes he'd slid the blade between the mans ribs and through the heart without a moments hesitation.
Zha'Gren's eyes looked down to the wrist crossbow. Still ready to be fired. Hidden in a breastplate with little power to propel the quarrel within to any great distance, but it could certainly kill. He'd done so with it many times. So why had he not fired when he punched Valmyria in the chest? How simple it would have been..... How honorless.

Screams in the distance filled his ears suddenly and following them was the beat of hooves on stone. A rider? Screams?
Graceful as a panther he dropped down from the spired tower he'd dwelled on and crept down the walls, nestling in a dark alley behind barrels of trash hoping to view the commotion. Then he smelt it. Blood! Blood and fire and pain and loss. It all had a smell and the rider reeked of it profusely. The screams continued as the horse finally collapsed, spewing its rider out to the cobbles in a heap of dented and charred metal. Women and children ran into their homes to avoid the possible corpse or atleast avoid the confrontation of such.
Zha'Gren didn't need to look at him long to see he still lived. Barely. The armor had saved his life from something. A great deal of somethings if the dents and scratches and burns could attest. It wasn't until he touched his amulet he realized who this was. A warden.
A warden in that condition here? No, it came from far. The dents and the horse.. He's been on the road for days trying to get to something. Anything.
Wrapped in his cloak, Zha'Gren moved out of the Alley and grabbed hold of the fallen mans shoulders. A few side-glances scared off the onlookers long enough for him to drag the man into the dark Alley with him.. Nobody cared after that.

-Warden scout James Marshhall-

The ride had been endless. Days turned to nights and the sweat of the road drowning him, making him unsteady and always dehydrated. The sun cooked him in his armor and the night froze his bones, but still he rode. He'd done unkind things to get this far. To find the one called Valmyria he'd gotten reports about from his superiors. A castle in flames.. The lich... Darkspawn at.. somewhere. Horse after horse he'd ridden to near-death until he could find another. He'd stolen them. Commandeered them. Liberated one from a band of outlaws somehow in his state.. Here he was. The city. He'd done it. It was just too bad he couldn't walk anymore..

The ground was coming towards him alarmingly fast..
Screams of the dead and dieing, of the newly risen and the freshly killed. Tongues of flame and hands of ice. Black blades and glowing sigils. He tried to scream but his voice would not help. The man! the weapon! His captain! It all happened too fast. The murder, the betrayal... THE LICH. His brothers all dead or worse. An eternity he watched his post go up in flames and knew it all would come for him soon. Fear alone had driven him out of the castle and luck after that had kept him out of the net that likely caught anyone else in the area. Days of no food or water on the road had taken its toll.. He could taste it on his lips now and it was sweet.. Why could he taste it.

With a muffled scream he woke struggling in the grip of something. It was fuzzy but he made out cobblestones. Barrels. Water. A waterskin? A man had him laying on something and was holding the water. James grabbed the water from his hands and spilled as much as he drank frantically, embracing the cold rush on his face and throat for the few brief moments he could. The darkness closed in on him once more.

Hours went by as he struggled to recover from the delirium. Always James fought the demons of his mind and the reality of his situation only to awake to the quiet man staring at him from above.

When the dreams parted and reality came clearly, James cleared his throat as best he could w hile struggling to rise to a sitting position and resting on the wall. Still the other stood silently waiting. James' voice was cracked and still dry when he spoke. "Thank.. you." The quiet one nodded. "Please... Valmyria... Wardens.... Something terrible.. Betrayers!" He croaked to the other man, whos only motion now was to hand the scout a refilled water skin. Slowly he drank, and between gulps told the story of the betrayer and the fall of his post. Of the fires and the screams, and of the spectre of death flowing about the castle now. A lich.
After a long silence, James spoke. "I can't go on... Please. I beg of you. Find her and tell her! She must hear of his sooner than I am able to get to her. Every moment I waste is a moment longer for them to spread." The scout reached into his breastplate and pulled out a hastily scribbled note. It had been signed the leading officer but did not detail the attack. It detailed a meeting with someone important. James was supposed to send it to another post to let them know, as simply routine. Whoever had their name written on the note was trouble.

The silent man leaned forward slowly. As he extended his hand, it held a pouch. A pouch that clinked softly with coin!
In his throaty growl Zha'Gren spoke. "Rest. Rejoin later. I will find." Zha'Gren slipped the note into his back pouch.

-Zha'Gren-
Purpose.

Zha'Gren dropped the pouch into the scouts hand and smiled behind his mask. A lich. A fallen command post. Death and blood and war and a CHALLENGE! Zha'Gren gave a growl of delight as he rushed at the sitting Scout, but did not attack. Zha'Gren used his shoulders as a springboard and vaulted the remained distance between the Alley and the rooftops and hoisted himself over with only the rustle of the scouts armor and the swish of Zha's cloak as he disappeared.
Off through the night he surged forward as quick as his legs would carry him. Zha'Gren was quite a distance away but knew where to expect the Warden at this time. On he rushed, leaping the 8 foot distances between the roofs without ever stopping or falling short. Two guards patrolled a rooftop patio of some rich man or woman but it hardly mattered. Zha'Gren leapt down from the nearby building and landed in a roll between the two guards, who both quickly tried to lash out with their spears but found only air. The hunter had flung himself through the patio door and raced through the building like a lightning bolt, startling the maids and servants alike before finally leaping through a closed door at the end of a hallway. As before, Zha'Gren fell into a roll before he hit the ground nearly 10 feet down with barely a scratch to show for it and simply kept running through the maze of Alleyways. It wasn't long before he caught the scent of the Warden commander.
Finally he slowed his pace, making sure to readjust the way he walked and moved to seem more human below the cloak he wore. There wasn't enough time for a disguise, not that he would have. Excitement urged him on at the fastest possible speed.

Azreal and Val were still talking when Zha'Gren entered the same room. How he'd gotten in wasn't hard to guess. Nobody but them was around. Zha'Gren slammed the door shut and locked it behind him. Before anyone could draw a blade, he dropped his swordbelt to the ground with a small click and the thud of steel, showing he wasn't here for a fight.
A flick sent the letter dirfting lazily to Val's foot. Outside, people were already shouting about the strange Warden who'd been found half-dead in an alleyway praying to a 'quiet man'. Rumors apparently spread faster than one hunter could run.

Postby Draken30000 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:42 pm

"Pleasure to meet you properly, Ozmin. And yes, I suppose you are right, times are strange right now. I don't even know how I can remain so...optimistic." Vovin replied to the, now that he was really looking at him, shifty looking dwarf. "I wouldn't really call it business, but I do have a task right now that I think you might be able to help me with. If you are up for it, that is." Vovin crossed his arms, shifted his eyes left and right before leaning just a little closer to the dwarf. He doubted his conversation partner was one of the spies the Captain had mentioned to him, as VOvin had seen him at that bar. "I have been assigned to uncover some spies within this camp. I can either kill them or reveal their identity to the Guard. I think it would be wiser to provide them with false information, so I plan to pursue the latter route. Someone of your talents could be helpful. You in?"

Postby MQuinny1234 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:01 am

Johnus took another puff, then turned his pipe over and tapped out the crap inside. "Well...I suppose just providing false information would be easier than finding and killing all of them." He shrugged, putting the pipe away. "So long as I get a cut, I'll help you out with whatever you want. It's a buyers market right now anyway and you're the only one who want's my services right now."
Image=
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Ro Wong » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:43 am

{Redcliffe} ~Shot Through The Heart~

Gabriel was silent for some long moments after hearing the Teryn’s proposal. His eyes began growing dim as his mind wandered off once more into the past. Senses dulled and focused upon the reconstruction of old tastes, old sounds, and old sights. He slowly began to open his mouth with a nearly beckoning look to his brow as he started to turn toward the Teryn.

A loud boom caused him to blink back to the present and his eyes glanced aside. The ogre the Teryn had earlier put to work was mindlessly stomping at the same spot, flinging blood and entrails through the air with each motion of its leg. Gabriel stared at it for a moment before looking back to his nearby friend. “I would like to pursue that latter endeavor myself… It is a bit too personal to want any other to handle it…” He slowly exhaled, his form relaxing again. “In regards to the aid,” the ogre suddenly burst apart as the blood inside and all round it simply exploded and imploded all at once. “I think I should enjoy some political games while I become acclimated with my new lands.” He smirked a bit, the mass that was the ogre now rolling together into a thick ball of bright scarlet and pale flesh tones.

The mass shot into the sky, suddenly leaving the immediate area faster than either man could blink. “Though, I’m sure some would be suspicious if some stranger simply came into the kingdom and took a renowned territory such as this… Perhaps I should perform a feat of some sort to establish my presence first?” His smirk spread wide as the soft pink around his irises began to shift and circle his emerald gaze. “I wish to recommend a target… Your recent Grey Warden problem in Redcliffe.” His white teeth flashed for a second as a short chuckle was barely audible under his breath. “To become the man - a close friend of yours that you asked for aid - whom hunted down the very people who so dastardly devastated this great land; I’m sure the people would only happily welcome their new lord in such a scenario.”
Demon of Elru

Postby Blood Lord » Mon May 26, 2014 1:13 am

Lothering Keep

"Free men," muttered the Arl as he sat down in his chair. Drail Hailstrom ran a hand through his hair as he considered the former Templar's words. They were... interesting, especially so considering that it was a Templar Captain that led his unit and other men into combat that would claim their lives. A Templar Captain who had sworn a life of obedience, faith, and duty, and upheld those ideals for years. To think that now he would be motivated by being a free man? It made little sense in the Arl's mind. He had thought it would have something to do with lyrium cashes or the like.

"It strikes me odd, Deacon," replied Arl Hailstorm. "That he'd be swayed by something like this. Templar's take on themselves vows of knighthood, swearing to uphold the Chant of Light, defending the world from the evils of magic, and the like. Something about this Captain Gregor is... odd. Thank you for this service, Deacon. Anything I can do for you?"

Valmyria Windstrider - WHAT THE F*%$ (MIGHT ADD MORE LATER AS STUFF GETS CLEARED UP - LOOK FOR NOT IN OCC)

Val would argue that her day had its fair share of ups and downs.

Down - Nearly dying to a darkspawn hunter that promised to eventually kill her, just not yet. Having literally the LAST person she ever wanted to see in her life pop up, not to mention how it was assumed everything was happy dappy with her. Lunch interrupted by a stand down between ex-Templars. And then there was the entire point of some Maker-be-damned gauntlet that refused to go down.

At least the soup had been nice.

However, this. This was a new level in WTF for the day, but not completely unexpected for her darkspawn hunter.

Before anything could be said, the darkspawn had dropped his belt, swords, blades, and other things clinking to the floor. For half a second, nearly a dozen different thoughts crossed her mind on exactly what the hell was going on, and admittedly, a few of those were in the gutter. It wasn't until she caught site of the paper drifting lazily towards her that her mind kicked back in. She tensed up as it floated to her, and she waited until it had fallen up at her feet. Her ears twitched as she picked up the noise from outside, some sort of commotion, but she couldn't risk being distracted. Not now, not in front of this being. The eleven ranger eyed the darksapwn carefully, and then the paper. Slowly, locking her eyes on Zha'Gren, she scooped the paper up.

"What? Did you draw something nice for..." The Warden Commander trailed off as she opened the letter and found it fully of writing, human writing. Words were lost for Val as she read the note, then re-read it again, and again. "Where did you get this?"

Works in the Dark - QUEST ACTIVE: Vovin and Johnus Johnson
Lothering Camp

(Sorry, did a little god-modding on this to get things going. Potential targets are listed though that you can talk with to see if something goes somewhere. Don't worry, I won't crash the quest on you this early.)

Things are missed, remarkable by those searching for them. So intent people can be on seeking out a solution to a problem, that they forget its starring at them in the face. Many such things existed in this camp. The Teryn's spy network functioned on a level of secrecy and openness. Merging the two together would bring them the perfect situation. The Dragon Knight and the dwarven thief would have to rely more on their cunning and deception, than blades and quick reactions. They had entered Old Lothering, where part of the camp extended into. Here, the buildings were worn and aged, many of them having burned down, but the refugees worked with what they had. Only a few soldiers managed to patrol these ruins.

As the two wandered through the camp, looking and visiting with other refugees, they kept their eyes and ears open. It could be anyone, really. Or everyone.

The small gang of kids that raced by laugh and fighting each other with wooden swords could easily be used as messengers or detectors. Pay them a few coins to take a letter to a certain man, or if they see something to run a particular direction, perhaps knock on a can or two on the way by.

The old woman near the camp well. She made a modest living from washing the clothes of soldiers and others that came to her. Many mistook her as hard of earring, but treated her with kindness that they would share with their grandmother. They'd discuss the day, perhaps a little too much.

Impromptu merchant shops weren't uncommon in camps like these, and there was certainly a handful of them in this particular section. A dealer sold some arms and armor he had to those that could afford the defense. Another sold herbs, medicines, and clothing. The final merchant stationed there had just arrived, and was busy unloading his wagons and establishing his territory. Elven slaves helped him.

A missionary from the Chantry stood in the middle of the square, proclaiming and reciting the Chant of Light to all those that passed by. No doubt workers from the Chantry were around as well, dealing with distributing supplies the best they could. A few templars wandered the streets, not looking for anything important, but assessing the surroundings. Eventually, Templar garrisons would be deployed to manage the refugee camp as more and more were brought in.

Teryn Cousland - Redcliffe.

The Teryn smiled.

Really, it was all he could do. He should have known that the approach through Gabriel's daughter would fail, but it never hurt to ask. In truth, he would have helped that situation out the best he could because he did believe every man should be happy. However, he also understood that somethings can only be done by certain people, and a father had the right to the welfare and safety of his family.

"Interesting proposition, Gabriel," said the Teryn. He considered for a while what would happen if he let this interesting mage out of his sight for that long. Surely it couldn't hurt him, perhaps weaken those that he knew by the Fates that would be his downfall. "I already have the Warden's in Amarthine under my control. They serve a different purpose for now. However, there are a few including their Commander, in the lands south. Many of the people there, I'm afraid, know of the truth of the situation. Carry on then, if you wis-."

A portal cracked the air on the other side of the room, mystic circles and ruins danced about it, keeping the tear in time and space perfectly aligned. From within walked out a creature, well, walked would have been putting it a bit far, more like floated.

"My Lords," greeted the Lich. "Forgive the interruption, but, we're ready for the next commencement of the plan."

The Teryn reached into the depths of his armor, and pulled out a pendant, setting it on a stone block near him. It was a leather band holding on a golden disc. In the very center was a black gem. "Use this, Gabriel, if you wish to contact me. Other means of communication are... less stable in the region you are planning on venturing to."

With that, the Teryn gave a final wave as he walked to the portal, and entered in with the Lich. The portal collapsed behind him, and soon enough, not a sign of his passing was present.

Except for the pendent.

Postby Sigment » Mon May 26, 2014 7:16 pm

Deacon Reinhardt - Time to Rest

"Apologies, Your Grace. In my haste, I had forgotten a detail. He had mentioned the Wardens, how he believed that they use our fear of the Darkspawn to their advantage. Likely a lie told by the Teryn, something to fuel the fire. Weren't the Teryn's forces told that the Warden-Commander possessed a means to control the Darkspawn?" Deacon stood up, his eyes looking out the window. He thought for a short time, before remembering something he had been meaning to ask for some time.

"Um... Your Grace? If I may ask, was there any luck in finding that child's parent's?" The child from Redcliffe that he had saved. The one that gave Deacon his bracelet. After all she had been through, he wondered how she was doing.

Azreal Demian - Trouble in Paradise

Azreal wasn't sure what to think of the intruder at first. Assassin? Certainly looked like he was good at quiet kills. He was prepared to draw his blades when he suddenly dropped his equipment. A sign of no hostility, maybe? Even more curious were the signs that Val seemed to know the guy. Azreal ran thoughts through his head until he saw the fighter toss a letter to Val's feet. She joked at first, until she started reading. The look in her eyes made him nervous. Whatever it was, was trouble.

"What's going on? What's it say?" Azreal could hear shouts around them about a wounded Warden, and a "quiet man". He thought quietly for a moment. The note, this stranger and a wounded Warden. If he didn't wound the Warden, then someone else did. And with Val reacting this way, then maybe... Did something happen at their Keep? "If there's something happening, I'm coming too. Never know what you'll find."

The Resident Smartass

Postby Zelosse » Tue May 27, 2014 7:39 am

-Zha'Gren-

Zha'Gren was only partially out of breathe as he deliberately brushed off his cloak and armor, his mask still firmly in place and his stance hopefully not betraying his darker heritage to the other man in the room. With a slight cough to clear his throat, Zha'Gren retold the story as he had heard it from the lone scout. Outside, people were buzzing about 'the quiet man' and a wounded warden. His recollection of events leading up to this point were precise, including not only the injuries of the warden in the alley but a location of where he had been left. Zha'Gren tried to focus more on the urgency of a Lich.

Normally Zha'Gren wouldn't care about such a thing. His lot in life until now had always been to hunt something greater than himself and kill it. There was no doubt in his mind, as the Darkspawn slowly clenched his right fist, that he couldn't have killed Valmyria when he'd gotten the chance but something had held him back. He understood it only after he had brought to the news to his prey. He thought of her like he had his old master. A friend.
Before anyone could speak about the Lich, or plans, Zha'gren blurted out what was on his mind. Dropping to one knee, Zha lowered his hooded head and stared at the floor in a way he hoped conveyed his willingness to follow a superior officer or fighter. "If you plan to kill the Lich, this one will help where he can. You have more than earned my respect."

-Marcus Hammerstrike-

The sun had set long before Marcus returned to his forge, which even at night was busy but only on work that didn't involve the banging of hammers or the blaze of fires. Only one room could be used day and night for that task and it was the same one which had been used to forge Vovin's new blade. Upon entering the forge he saw what was expected and merely smiled at the last little bit of work to be done.
His apprentices had recollected Valmyrias salvageable gear and the ruined breastplate at his request, and most of the items had been repaired or replaced with similar items. Each one just needed the final alterations that separated it from a strong piece of equipment to a masters piece of equipment.
Without even really thinking of his actions Marcus scooped up the gear and gave a sharp whistle, drawing the attention of a few apprentices. He quickly set them to grabbing a few scrolls and some ingredients required for a steel working ritual. Normally something like what he was to do would cost a small fortune, since the recipe was fairly expensive anyways, but decided it was for the best. She had spilled blood for him and his own, even after Marcus had likely killed a few of her men in the confusion.

As soon as the door of his private forge was closed he went to work. Upon the anvil he threw a mixture of alchemic potions onto the armor and began to recite the forgemasters spells one by one, making steel harder and lighter, adding a touch of the weave to each piece to prevent magical deterioration and even increase resistances to the elements of fire, ice, lightning, and other various forms of magical attack.
Each piece, while well crafted and magically fortified, could not function without the whole being completed. The breastplate had been fitted to Val's figure but it was the enchantments he placed upon them that would do the rest. The nexus of magic in an armor worked like a set. Two bracers and a pair of boots would not be of much help, but a strongly enchanted breastplate acting as the hub of the magic would enhance the work of the other equipment made of similar materials.
One by one he recited scrolls and made the appropriate gestures, always having his hands tracing lines in the steel and etching runes into the seams, overlapped by leather or cloth in a way that not only obscured the rune but made it nearly invisible to those who looked for them. Many of the runes and symbols were overlapped with artistic depictions of elven culture or phrases common to them, a true work of beauty. When he was done the work the sun had already begun to rise high in the sky.
Each piece glowed softly as the ritual came to an end, each piece of parchment he held or lay near him burst to flame and smoke that swirled gently around the armaments until finally it had all settled.
If Marcus was any judge of character, he would guess Valmyria was waiting for him even now.

Postby Sigment » Wed May 28, 2014 3:09 am

Azreal Demian - Chance For A Rematch?

Azreal did what he could to deal with the information he was taking in. Vigil's Keep had gone to hell in a handbasket, and a "Lich" was the one responsible. Never mind the fact that a "friendly" Darkspawn was the one telling them this, or that Valmyria, the Warden-Commander of all people, seemed to consider this thing an ally. To think that just days ago, that job on the docks had been as weird as things had ever-

That's when he thought about that creature he had encountered there. Wasn't any known race he could recognize, and had power over ice and necromancy. If this Lich and that creature were the same, then he felt obliged to pay it a visit, and help take back Vigil's Keep while he was at it. "Alright." He looked to both Val, and the Darkspawn. "Now I'm definitely coming along. That 'Lich' may be the same thing I saw back in Denerim, and you'll need all the help you can get either way." He patted himself down quickly to make sure he had all his gear. "So..." He motioned to the 'Spawn in front of them. Since Val hadn't tried to kill it yet, he figured he could give it the benefit of the doubt. "You gonna make introductions?"
Last edited by Sigment on Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Ro Wong » Thu May 29, 2014 1:03 am

{Redcliffe} ~Sangre Por Sangre~

Gabriel watched the Teryn vacate with -- as far as Gabriel could imagine -- one of his subordinates. His eyes slowly panned down to glance upon the pendant left behind upon the broken throne. A soft smile began to appear. He then turned up and looked over the skeleton the Teryn had created but left to simply stand within the roof-less room of debris. He moved away from the back of the throne, strolling toward the necromantic creation.

Gabriel closely examined the creation, his eyes looking through and beyond its corporeal mass. The energy within it was amassed by the very essence of the Teryn’s magicks. An abrupt darkness enveloped the room as the large mass of blood and matter from the ogre the Teryn had earlier enchanted floated above the room. Gabriel’s eyes closed and he tilted his head back, nose twitching. It was there. The same energy permeated from the ogre’s floating remnants. He could smell it as clearly as a master chef could sniff out the most obscure of ingredients. The energy imbued two entirely different materials, but was so distinctly enticing so as to draw his awareness beyond the Veil itself.

Another mission, the powers have called me away
Another time to carry the colors again
My motivation: an oath I‘ve sworn to defend

Gabriel began to slowly lift from the ground as his arms lifted at his sides. His body began to succumb to the array of sensations to energy showed him within the immaterial world. The bloody mass started to expand, stretching out and twisting into a swirling stream. It snaked down to spiral smoothly around Gabriel’s hovering form. His head shook and turned, lips parting as his tongue pushed out to lightly graze the spinning liquid and energy. The simple taste was enough to send a pleasing shiver throughout his form. The scarlet stream whipped aside, suddenly snapping out toward the skeleton. The creature convulsed and seized up, suddenly becoming infused by the blood and matter.

No explanation will matter after we begin
Unlock the dark destroyer that’s buried within
My true vocation
And now my unfortunate friend
You will discover a war you’re unable to win

The skeleton shrieked and cried out as its entire self was consumed and corrupted. The smaller bit of power used on the ogre crept into the bones of the creature, fusing the power together once more. The blood filled the hollowed bones, binding the necromantic being with the physical form of corruption incarnate. The tainted mass of the ogre overcame the creature, enslaving it to the former darkspawn’s own existence. Slowly the skeleton and remains began to form together. Gabriel’s eyes slowly opened. It was an odd but amusing sight to watch a creature being created from bones and blood and organs. Watching veins and muscle wrapped over bone. Entrails slithering into the bowels of a creature too small to fit their mass. The beast the fusion would create would be a horrible abomination. An amalgamation of dark powers bent to the will of a demented man.

Determination that is incorruptible
From the other side a terror to behold

Gabriel landed upon his feet as the mass of blood finished streaming into a new form. A twisted smirk spread over his lips as he stepped toward the beast he had created. Hunched over and twitching. Muscles overlapping a skeletal structure several sizes too small made for a being of grotesque proportions. It muttered incoherent sounds as it stood as still as it could before its master. An effort made very difficult by a constant vortex of pain coursing through the creature’s every nerve. Gabriel placed his left hand upon the creature’s brow. His eyes stared straight into the blood-glazed orbs barely visible under the creature’s bubbling forehead. The sharp claws of his gauntlet slowly pressed in, taking a firm hold of the beast.

“The pendant is nice… But this,” Gabriel leaned in toward the creature’s frightened face, “is a gift I shall greatly cherish.” He softly chuckled under his breath before lunging forward. His mouth opened wide as he sank his teeth into the purple and red flesh of the beast.

Annihilation will be unavoidable

Gabriel tore and chewed into the beast, literally consuming the twisted creature in order to feast upon the power the Teryn had left behind. His control of blood would ensure his control over the magicks, allowing him to use the energy to strengthen himself further. As he ravished the poor creature, the remains of the dozens of darkspawn the ogre had previously killed began to stir. Their bodies twitched and snapped. Their forms rose up to stand for their master in spite of useless limbs and death itself. They began moving, quickly scurrying out to the borders of the ruined castle. They then began etching runes and seals within the grounds surrounding their lord’s new abode. Crumbling down to the dirt and rocks, their blood and mass spread upon the markings. Gabriel snarled and howled as he ripped his monstrosity apart to better gnaw it down to the bones. He then snapped those into pieces and began consuming them. The darkspawn fused into their respective runes, forming a large ritual circle around the castle. The blood began to twist the circle and slowly cause it to spin, churning the ground around it. Gabriel’s eyes slowly drew pale, his hunger for power steadily consuming his actions as he licked and sucked up even the smallest remnants of the beast from the stone floors.

Every broken enemy will know
That their opponent had to be invincible

The circle started to crack and bend, swirling steadily toward Gabriel. As the runes mashed together and slithered close, Gabriel began to slowly stand upon his feet. His face and body were bathed in bits of blood and flesh. He closed his eyes once more, breathing heavily after his wild feasting. The leftover bits of the creature began to draw upward and crawl into his panting mouth. The runes drew upon Gabriel and shot up his form, rolling into his mouth with the last remnants of his food. His staff whipped from the nearby throne and slapped the pendant toward its master. He quickly reached out, catching both objects as they shot around his sides.

Take a last look around while you’re alive

A bright light quickly enveloped Gabriel as the power within him fused into the ritual spell. This new gift of the Teryn would become quite useful down the road for the maniacal wizard. Gabriel began to laugh as he opened his eyes, their green and red returned once more upon the passing of his blood lust. He soon vanished as the light burst from his form. The ruins of the castle began to draw silent after its master’s departure. The air stilled, ground coming to a rest where the runes had rolled over everything in their path. And in various random areas of the ruins, stones began to move. Slowly, more of Gabriel’s servants arose from the tunnels beneath Redcliffe. The darkspawn got to work without hesitation, knowing they needed to clear more of the ruins away before they could begin rebuilding the castle for their vile lord.

An indestructible master of war
Demon of Elru

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:54 pm

A Dwarf's request - QUEST ACTIVATED: Teelo, Zasalim, and Connor
Orzammar - Dwarven Palace

“You think the king will trade shiny hat with Teelo?” He asked Zasalim as he held up the amulet he had taken from the merchant before the fight.

Zasalim looked down from his surveying the inner dwellings of the dwarven crown to see Teelo holding up his stolen amulet asking if the King would trade the crown for such a trinket. He looked to the forest child with disapproval for the tiny offering in his eyes, "Not even for your weight in those amulets! I'm afraid that hat is no mere trinket. It is the Kings Crown, Marks him the ruler of all dwarves everywhere and dwarven commander in chief to all the other races"

King Khadgar Aeducan couldn't help but chuckle at the little exchange. "A man's position is not made by the symbols they choose to ordain themselves with. Still, young one, I cannot part with my shiny hat."

The group entered into the Royal Bathhouse, and while it did not meet the exact daydreams of Zasalim, it was still an impressive sight. The room itself was a large one, out fitted with several smaller pools and one large one. A massive table sat on one end of the room, empty for now, but clearly held the purpose of being a food table. The room was designed to hold as much of the natural beauty as possible, meaning that the stone floors and pools held much of their natural design as the dwarves could afford to keep while making it as pleasant as possible for the Royal Family. The most interesting part of the room was the walls, which were massive sheets of crystal. Orange light tinted and danced around in the lower section of the crystal, suggesting that it reflected the lava below, which was used to heat the water.

The King raised his hand and motioned for some servants to come over. "Soon Young Masters, you will enjoy the fabled hospitality of the dwarves. Roaring fires, malt beer, ripe meat off the bone."

"A very warm welcome for such rabble," remarked Morrigan as she walked around one of the nearest pools. "I do not recall getting such a one before."

"Well, Witch, I suppose these men are not here to try and curse me for something," replied King Aeducan.

"Speaking of that, how is your Uncle?" asked Morrigan, touching the tip of her staff into the pool.

"Still lost in the Deep Roads, no thanks to you and your ilk," snapped the dwarf, clearly agitated over the prior event.

"I warned the old fool about Red Lyrium," said the Witch, waggling her finger at the King. "Tis not a power to be trifled with, even by the most experienced of mages."

"Is that what you are hear for? More of the accursed stuff?"

"Nay, these before you seek a different matter." King Aeducan waited for the Witch to continue, but gave a exasperated sigh when it became clear that she would say no more.

"You two," said the King of the Dwarves, turning to face Zasalim and Teelo. "What business does a elf and a child have in Orzammar?"

Postby Draken30000 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:37 pm

Vovin walked with "Ozmin" into Old Lothering. The Dragon Knight peered at the old and, sometimes, crumbling buildings that managed to house quite a number of people. Despite the run-down nature of the place, Old Lothering was surprisingly bustling. Vovin couldn't help but mull over the fact that perhaps he had not chosen quite the right activity to be partaking in. He was more of a fighter than a spy catcher, and he wasn't so great at being deceptive, sneaky, or clever with words. Nonetheless, he would do his best to reveal the spies without their knowing. Perhaps his new companion, Johnus, would be able to offer more skills in this field. Turning to the dwarf, Vovin leaned in slightly. "Alright, so how do you want to this. I will readily admit, i'm not the best at..." and here Vovin lowered his voice "Spying on people. What do you think we should do? Split up? Move together? I really don't know."

Postby Glacier » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:49 am

As the door opened Zasalim could feel the rush of warm, moist air on his elven skin. He was utterly excited to enjoy a natural hot tub for once. The pools gave off a pleasent aroma and he was nearly entranced by the beauty of the massive crystal walls that adsorbed the bath house. He could feel the lava flowering beneath them, characterized by the orange glow it emitted which was beautifully reflected throughout the entire bath house. While he was a bit disappointed at the lack of sexy dwarven maid servants, he was elated to hear the King call for them and promise the group of mages the experience of the royal treatment. His mouth began to salivate thinking of the ripe meat and the dwarven girls. He quickly recomposed himself though.

He decided to wait for the servants to come in and aid them as he was still lost in the beauty of the stone pools, crystal walls, and the atmosphere present in the royal bath house. His ears began to twitch as he picked up the conversation between the guardian Morrigan and King Aeducan. They clearly had history prior to this, but that was none of his business. The topic of red lyrium did pique his interest, but he'd read enough about it in the ancient tome of his to know it was a fools errand to try and manipulate it and keep one's sanity. Power always has a price, but the ultimate failure for a mage is to lose one's self to temptation.. That's how abominations were born and he'd seen enough to know this to be true.

The king then turned his attention to Zasalim and Teelo, asking they state what business they had in the realm of the dwarves. Zasalim immediately snapped out of his trance and turned his undivided attention to the dwarven king. "The business is mine your majesty" Zasalim began with. "I was an accompanying member of the grey warden party that preceded the late Warden commander's' final journey into the deep roads. As you may or may not know, I'm the only survivor of that group. I wish to return to the deeps for we stumbled upon quite the peculiar site before we were to be ambushed by darkspawn and reluctantly forced to back track and face the arm of the horde we'd provoked" clearing his voice, the elven mage continued. "We found the entrance to a thaig, sealed from the inside and untouched by the spawn. Further more I've been told that this 'lost' thaig has access to the surface. I merely wish to investigate these claims and see that such an out post be claimed by your people and not the darkspawn your highness." He finished, bowing his head and awaiting the king's reply.

Postby Scrambles » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:21 pm

-Wash off the Blood-

The shimmering crystal walls and welcoming heat from the pools were too much of an enticement for young Teelo to resist. With an elated cheer the Forest Child jumped in to one of the smaller pools. The waters turned red as the blood washed from his body. Teelo breached the waters surface and shook his head doggedly. He cupped some of the unbloodied water in his hands and took a drink, ever the seeker of new sights, tastes and smells.

“Teelo never felt water this nice!” He announced to no one in particular.

As his companions spoke of red stuff Teelo knew nothing about he jumped to another pool to see if it was just as good as the first. He did not exactly attempt to bathe himself. Teelo had never needed to do so before(Not including using his tongue as a cat). But he enjoyed swimming and had never done so in water so warm and far underground. He darted from one pool to the next trying out each of the smaller ones with equal excitement as the ones before. After experiencing what all of the small pools had to offer, Teelo finally decided that the large pool must be even more fun since it was so big. Laughing all the way, he splashed in to the main bathing pool and sat upon a rock carved to be used as a seat and let out a long sigh as the waters filled him with comforting warmth.

The King asked of their intentions and Teelo gave a simple answer. “Teelo following his friends! Teelo having fun!”

As Zasalim began discussing his intentions with the King, Teelo began to hum an old song. He did not know the words. Teelo didn't really know where he heard the tune, he just always remembered knowing it. It sounded happy, at least coming from one so young. The real meaning was lost on Teelo. As the Forest Child sat in the soothing waters, humming to himself mostly, some of the markings on his back began to flicker and glow with a pale light. The glow lasted only seconds, and the rocks Teelo rest his back upon obstructed a clear view but such things do not go completely unnoticed, even if the catalyst of such an event is none the wiser. Teelo watched his companions and the King as he continued to enjoy himself; that and keep a sharp eye out for the delicious meat that was promised.

Postby BG07 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:56 am

-BOULDER BILL-

With more of an actual stumble than a stride, Bill made his way down a street in the middle of town. He had a slight sway to his walk, a shuffle here and miss step there. Alcohol could clearly be smelt upon his breath, actually his whole body most likely reeked of the substance. His hand was clutching a waterskin that was now nearly emptied of the booze that once filled it. The man raised the hand up to give the skin a gentle shake, testing to see if there was hopefully more than what he was expecting. He paused for a moment to look at his raised hand, blood dripped down from his knuckles as he held it up level with his eyes. It wasn’t his own blood though, the blood was fresh but there were no wounds upon his hand.

Normally he would have remembered doing something like that, even on days when Bill had drank past his limits he would never have blackouts of his memory. His teeth clenched together and he let out a small agitated growl as he tossed the waterskin into the street. This blackout wasn’t due to alcohol, it was something else that he had brushed off for the time being. Bill had thought that he would only lose himself in dire situations like he did back at Redcliffe, but it seemed like the ring was starting to act up with more frequency now. Those cracks that had formed were now spreading and the wider they got the more frequent these blackouts would come on.

This was getting out of hand now, whatever this ring was doing to him he needed to get it fixed or get rid of it quick. There was only one option for the man at this point, he didn’t have anywhere else to go but even if he did a man like Marcus would still be his best bet. He had been killing too much time to allow Marcus to finish other work, this was something that had to be dealt with immediately.

-----
Bill eventually found his way back to Marcus’ forge, it didn’t take him long to find the old blacksmith still hard at work.
“Stop whatever it is you’re doing… we need to get this damn ring off me and I mean now. No more pissing off with your other shit old man, this happens now.” Bill didn’t even hesitate to speak that way to Marcus, after all neither of the men were very fond of beating around the bush when it came to talking to people.

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:57 pm

Lothering Keep

Arl Hailstrom nodded in response. "I heard similar reports from the few that we've captured, but I have no idea if that is true or not. My brother excels in many things, and twisting the truth was always one of his favorites. There is truth in every lie he has uttered."

The Arl paused as he let out a sigh and looked back out the window. "From what we know, we're only getting part of the picture. We're going to need to question the Wardens that are with us and see what they know in order to complete it. That means making sure Warden-Commander Valmyria Windstridder cannot leave."

Sigment wrote:"Um... Your Grace? If I may ask, was there any luck in finding that child's parent's?"

The Arl looked at him for a while before responding. "What child?"

A Dwarf's request - QUEST ACTIVATED: Teelo, Zasalim, and Connor
Orzammar - Dwarven Palace

"A thaig you say?" The King frowned. "I do not believe I have ever heard of such a thaig before. One that leads to the surface? Remarkable. Only Orzammar is known for that feat. Tell me, who told you of this?"

The Witch on the other hand, did not chime in this time. She did not move from her position, but looked at the walls, as if she was peering into the time and space that was behind them. She was focusing, more or less, calculating on what to do, using her status as a Guardian to see the possible futures.

She was having a difficult time seeing one that did not involve blood and death.

Zasalim, bewary. Something dark lurks within this place, hidden and unseen, full of malcontent, she whispered into his mind. Do not tell the King that Thorin Ashensheild sent you, for no good will come of it. Tell him an ancient scroll of the Imperium Magisters lead you on your journey.

Valmyria Windstrider - Vacation is over.

Zelosse wrote:"If you plan to kill the Lich, this one will help where he can. You have more than earned my respect."

"Oh don't worry, Zha'Gren," said Valmyria, amusement clearly written all over her face. "You're coming whither you want to or not. Besides, I don't think you'd want your prey slipping too far away from you."

Sigment wrote:"Now I'm definitely coming along. That 'Lich' may be the same thing I saw back in Denerim, and you'll need all the help you can get either way... You gonna make introductions?"

Val felt like asking the rhetorical and tempting question of "can this day get any worse?" but how things had been going so far, decided against tempting with fate.

"Azreal, Zha'Gren - darkspawn hunter, bane of my existance. Zha'Gren, Azreal, meat-shield," replied Valmyria as she walked between the two and for the door. "I'm sure both of you will have a lot in common. Meet me at the stables in ten."

The elven commander stepped out onto the street and in a single fluid motion, pulled her hood over her head and began walking down the street. She didn't bother to look back to see if the two were following her, dueling it out, or plotting her eventual demise. She mused quietly to herself. Zha'Gren probably had a place picked out for just a duel, hopefully it had a decent view and some trees. The bracelet around her wrist flared slightly, she could feel... was it humor or chiding?

Valmyria looked at the letter in her hand and mentally cursed herself again for getting distracted. The Wardens, her Wardens, had fallen. If that was something she could reverse or not had yet to be seen, but she wasn't holding her breath. Soon she'd have to face Vigil's Keep. She knew its passages and secrets well, but so did the others who had lived within its walls for years. In addition to the Wardens, the Keep had most of the Silver Order still within it's walls. Only a single company had been assigned to guard and aid in restoration of Ostagar. She didn't have enough time to send for them and wait for them to mobilize. A smaller force would be more adept at infiltrating the Keep anyways.

She had a handful of Wardens at best, luckily one was a crazy Qunari, but also a mage, a rouge, and hopefully this Warden Scout hadn't died. She had a darkspawn that eventually wanted to see her impaled on one of his swords, and a man that had her blood boiling every time she saw him. Val didn't want to ask the others that had arrived with her here in Lothering, nor the Arl to embark on such a foolish quest. It was her problem, her responsibility, and not worth their lives.

The Teryn had her Wardens, the Silver Order, and judging on the proximity of Vigil's Keep to Highever, probably an army.

It would be a tought fight... a bloody fight, mostly facing those she once knew. Her sword and claws ripping through flesh, screams of the dy-

Valmyria glared at the bracelet again. "Shut up."

Before she knew it, the Warden found herself at the door to the forge where Marcus was at. She had sent a messenger to collect her weapons, most of which hung by their straps from her shoulder. She needed armor, and she only hoped that Marcus had it already done.

She rapped her knuckles against the door, before opening it up and letting herself in as she called out the blacksmith's name.

Postby Sigment » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:58 pm

Deacon Reinhardt - Doubts and Confusion

Deacon wasn't expecting the Arl to be confused. The girl had been by his side since he had found her. She was with him the entire time that the survivors made their voyage to Lothering. What doubt was there of which child he was referring to?

He cast that aside in his mind for a moment to address the other issue stated: Making sure that Valmyria Windstrider did not leave the city. It would likely involve some form of house arrest, or at least require that she always be monitored by guards. Were it anyone else that was the one they were concerned with, such measures wouldn't be a problem. But the Warden-Commander?

"With respect, sir... I am not sure that we have the manpower for that task. Given what the Warden-Commander is capable of, if she wanted to leave, I am doubtful that we would be able to prevent her from doing so with sheer force." It wasn't just pointless worrying. She didn't get where she was due to her looks. She was a capable warrior. Add to that, the gauntlet she possessed, and she would have no trouble tearing through an armed guard to leave the city. "It may not be best to antagonize her. Doing so may only play into the Teryn's plans. As you said, Messere, he is a powerful manipulator of men."

He couldn't keep hiding his discontent regarding the Arl's reaction to his question. "Your Grace, the child I mentioned had been by my side during the Battle of Redcliffe, and she was there when you and I met after the battle. I lost track of her after we arrived in Lothering. Are you sure that you do not remember her?"

Azreal Demian - A Moment to Prepare

"Zha'Gren, Darkspawn Hunter"... Something like that, fighting alongside him? And Valmyria wanting its help when she's the damned Warden-Commander? And here he was, preparing to charge into a Lich-infested Warden's Keep. Azreal felt like he was dreaming. Ever since the Denerim job at the docks, common sense and logic seemed to have taken a backseat. In any case, he took a moment to go over his equipment one last time, laying it out on a table to inspect it.

He glanced over towards Zha'Gren. Given the 'Spawn's equipment, Val may have been right about them having some things in common. On that note, he thought back to what she had called Zha, and chuckled. "And here I thought I was the 'bane of her existence'." Everything looked good for him. He packed it all away, and headed for the door, giving one last look at his newest "ally". "Valmyria's willing to trust you, so I'll play nice. And so long as you don't try anything funny, I'll trust you too. Clear?"
Last edited by Sigment on Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Glacier » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:15 am

Orzammar - Dwarven Palace: Royal Bath House

Zasalim exhibited a calm demeanor, but his eyes told a different story. He was watching the king's reaction to this "news" with great intensity, and he was quite intrigued to know if this intel held any truth behind it. He was also thinking about how narrowly he escaped being swallowed up by the darkspawn hoard, for his hide was quite literally pulled from the death grip of the underworld. While it was not quite the reaction he was hoping for Zasalim garnered what he could from it. It was too early to tell if the king was truly ignorant of this "lost" thaig or if he wished to see just how much this elf knew. He knew something of dwarven history and culture from his studies, and inquiries of dwarves he'd met on his travels. Much of it was from his time with the wardens and being in Orzammar infact. He knew this for certain though: No matter the time it was built this race maintained a record of it somewhere and there was knowledge pertaining to it in this city, but everyone was allowed to keep their secrets.. Teelo was as boisterous as ever and the child's response did put a smile on the face of this Quel'Elhan mage. The young shapeshifter had already proven to be a mighty brother in arms and has been an entertaining travel companion thus far. Being rather eccentric himself though, it didn't surprise him to have met such oddities on his journey thus far. Morrigan however was silent on the matter, staring off into the void as often did while pondering, but her daydreams carried much more weight than the wild fantasies of a young man. Before he could answer, Zasalim heard the voice of Morrigan in his thoughts.

"I could tell from the chill that was sent down my spine when I looked up that door." he thought. "Something more sinister than the darkspawn awaited us on the other side, that's for certain. Worry not Guardian, I will not reveal my sources... A good idea actually, just might work" He looked into the King's eyes as this mental exchange occurred. This was far from the first time he'd been communicated with telepathically, and his poker face was nigh flawless at this point.

"An ancient and powerful scroll came into my possession. One that once belonged to the Magisters of the Tevinter Imperium. It "told" me of this thaig. This is a quest I embark upon warily, but I embark none the less. Certainly THEY do not posses more knowledge of your past than you, your magesty" he said with raised eyebrows. Once more he cast his net hoping to land the big fish before him.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing