The Plagued Lands OOC *Sign Ups Open!*

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

The Plagued Lands OOC *Sign Ups Open!*

Postby Zelosse » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:55 pm

The Plagued lands RP

Diary entry 1012, date - unknown.

Many day's have I wandered what used to be my home and my happiness, to see the meadows during the thaw of winter with my family... my friends... I used to sit by one of the numerous rivers that crossed the fields on the plains below, wasting away the day fishing for nothing in particular. I was never hungry or cold and never did I feel abandoned.
How thing's have changed.

The Zulkirs, 6 great and powerful mage-lords who rule Thay with an Iron fist and insurmountable cruelty, have finally waged open war. The 5 Zulkirs who rule the orders of Demonic summoning, Divination, Enchantment, Transmutation, and Defensive magic's have all finally come to an uneasy partnership to fight off the 6th Zulkir of Thay.

A lich!

Szass Tam, Archmage of the order of Necromancy and arguably the most powerful mage on the face of Toril. The other leaders of Thay fell prey to an assault on Menthil Keep, a fortified and siege-repellant fortress in the middle of the flat lands. Almost within an hour the place was swarming with the Undead creatures. Not just zombies, but ghasts and revenants!

I was off-duty when the assault began, and I was the first to the wall when the endead were not repelled by the holy orders scattered about the Keep. Powerful priests fell to the undead energies within moments, leaving nothing but 3 score worth of us common soldiers.
I ran. I ran and I didn't stop until I arrived at a new settlement, warning of an undead siege to the north. Nobody believed my claim.

You see, Undead and Demonic creatures are not only COMMON in thay but are the enforcers of it. The order of Demonic summoning and Necromancy provide the bulk of Thay's formiddable army.
Of course the Order of Necromancy denied any claims to the attack, why wouldn't they? It was nearly a full year of combat before all out war erupted for control over Thay. Years later, guess who won.

Szass. Tam.

A single Zulkir, backed by a legion of undead, fought off 5 Zulkir's...

I don't know what he plans to do with Thay, or the world for all I know, but I'm trapped. Trapped and helpless. This war destroyed everything, the meadows, the trees, the rivers, the soil, the SKY. It even caused the magical Weave to shatter, rendering magic ineffective and often times... useless. Szass Tam is weakened, I'm sure, but his undead legions are no more threatened by it.

Massive blue waves of magical flame has scoured what was left of the broken and shattered Thay, creating magical anomilies nobody thought possible! But they are real, real and dangerous. I've heard rumors before my seperation that the blue flames are not always lethal, but instead can grant things... Godly things.... Magic users have all the fun and all the risk, it seems...

For what it's worth, I have found companions. Not many and not a lot of expertise among us, but we fight. Hard. To survive, our only way out of Thay was destroyed and blocked off when Szass Tam finally pushed the Zulkirs to the other side of the world...
I fear we will not last long trapped in the unbeating heart of Thay.

Signed,
lieutenant Buckminster "Buck" Surge
Light guide out path a little longer...

--------------------------------------------------
Facts about the RP world
1. Magic is not completely useless, it is simply a bit less reliable. Sometimes it will do a grand-finalé spell, or nothing at all. There IS middleground.
2. No Zulkirs or their army are present at this time en-masse. There are pockets of resistance here and there, you will have to choose wisely what you do.
3. Undead creatures ARE playable, but you must impress me with a CS. Don't ALL be undead! (1-2 maximum)
4. You are survivors, short and simple, I don't care what you did or where you were when the war raged but now you are stuck. Escape is futile so focus on the next move.
5. Things you did in your history can come back to help you.
6. Szass Tam is not looking for you directly or indirectly. Under the radar here, so you can survive or hinder him however you as a group decide.
7. Unexpected allies and unpredictable enemies are everywhere.
8. Beware the touch of undeath.

Character Sheets

Name - first/last

Military rank - (If none, leave empty) Maximum rank is lieutenant.

Divine path - What god do you worship, if any.

Classification - Choose: Soldier, ranger, marksman, scout, Mage
(If mage, pick an affiliation - Demonic/Transmutation/Defensive/Enchantment/Divination)

Appearance - Describe your various clothing in simple bullet-form. ex:
- Robes
- Leather belt, Thick bronze buckle
- Linen gloves
etc

Personality -

History -
Last edited by Zelosse on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The Plagued Lands OOC *Sign Ups Open!*

Postby Belwicket » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:25 pm

So many characters I could pull in... What would you put my max at?
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Zelosse » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:36 pm

One. ONLY one.

Postby Belwicket » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:51 pm

But I got 2 perfect sets of twins I can't split up! Plus a pair of best friends! Unless you want me to play a lesbian gnome or a fireball-fearing half-elf.
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Soul » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:13 pm

Or you know, you could play something entirely new without the lesbian aspect.

Postby Iris » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Hey Zel what are the gods in the RP? Or is it up to us to make them up?

Postby Belwicket » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Soul wrote:Or you know, you could play something entirely new without the lesbian aspect.

I already have these CSs written out, and if he's limiting me to a single character, I have Regina, a lesbian gnome, and Maxwell, a fireball-fearing half-elf.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Glacier » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:21 pm

You can always start from scratch as I plan to do here...

Postby Bishomonten » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:33 pm

What races are allowed?

Postby Zath » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:31 am

Belwicket wrote:
Soul wrote:Or you know, you could play something entirely new without the lesbian aspect.

I already have these CSs written out, and if he's limiting me to a single character, I have Regina, a lesbian gnome, and Maxwell, a fireball-fearing half-elf.

I'm gonna hit you with a fascinating new idea. It's called creativity. And I know it might sound strange, but try to understand. It's this thing where you don't reuse your characters, and you, for the most part, make new characters for every RP.

Postby Zelosse » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:31 am

Iris wrote:Hey Zel what are the gods in the RP? Or is it up to us to make them up?

Make them up. Be thorough.

Bishomonten wrote:What races are allowed?

All of them.

Postby Bishomonten » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:35 pm

So we can make shit up as long as it is reasonable?

Postby Belwicket » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:03 pm

Zath wrote:
Belwicket wrote:

I'm gonna hit you with a fascinating new idea. It's called creativity. And I know it might sound strange, but try to understand. It's this thing where you don't reuse your characters, and you, for the most part, make new characters for every RP.

I hate creating new characters when I still have some that I can still use.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Hasegawa Rayven » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:43 pm

I have questions, but I'll go ahead and post up a preliminary sheet.

===Questions===
1: This seems to be a DnD setting gone horrible, so, I should ask, Forgotten Realms?

2: What about Preexisting enchantments? Are enchantments, being effects bound to items (or other anchor points) stable, gone, Out-of-control, Stable on preexisting, but new ones are not possible/Unstable/Wild effects?

3: This guys is planned out as a Gunmage/Gunslinger, with Magic "Shells" for spells. (lol, that rhymes.) Yes I'm aware that makes him somewhat an Expy of Gene Starwind from Outlaw Star. Is this a problem?

Name - Balthus

Military rank - Corporal

Divine path - Mystra

Classification - Enchantment Marksman

Appearance - Describe your various clothing in simple bullet-form. ex:
- Plain leather greatcoat, dyed blue, silver-colored trim, polished brass buttons. extremely worn and lived in.
- Blue leather hat, faded and worn as much as the greatcoat. Various trinkets are strapped to it under the cord that separates the top from the brim.
- Belt buckle's a solid looking brass plate, polished but with numerous nicks and scratches in the metal. Belt is plain black leather.
- Heavy brown leather pants, White shirt underneath the coat.
- Revolvers hang from each side of the belt, a second slightly larger breach loading(single shot) pistol on his right side.
- Carries a longrifle slung across his back.

Personality - I'm working on this, It's a preliminary so...
I usually have a hard time quantifying my characters personality so maybe a bit more guidance on what you want here?

History - working on it.
Syaoran and Sakura "Meant to be"

Postby Timer » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:44 pm

in Faerun you Want Mystra for the god of magic.

Just posting to state intrest

Postby Glacier » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:28 pm

I was going for enchanment marksmen too! Great minds think alike I suppose... Better flesh out my defensive mage a bit more...

Postby Zelosse » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:52 am

Yes it is indeed forgotten realms, sadly the act of enchantment-gunslinger is farfetched.
Mage is the only class-type that wields one of the five types. Everything else is pretty cookie-cutter.

Postby Hasegawa Rayven » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:12 pm

So is the gunslinger idea completely bunked, even without the magic bits, or what?

Also, you might want to make the "Mage only" part a bit clearer. because right now it looks like you are supposed to pick a class and then a subset. (the subset being the bit in parenthesis.)

Maybe have an additional line that says "If Mage, select a subset of magic" then the listing.

Postby Zelosse » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Did some thinking about your character. Is it a mage who fights with a gun as an additional weapon, or a gunslinger who uses magic through his gun?

If the former it would be allowed, plenty of mages have additional activities to draw their focus on besides spellcraft.
If the latter it would be a bit of a stretch, I'd need to know exactly what kind of things your mage is capable of because anyone with skill would likely be high-ranked in Either the Undead army or the fleeing Zulkirs.

Postby Hasegawa Rayven » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:57 pm

the general concept is basically Gene Starwind's loadout.

He's got pistols as a general weapon, The rifle for sniping, and the larger caliber breach-loading single shot pistol is like Gene's Caster gun. He loads a pre-enchanted shell, fires it and it creates a magical effect. I'd probably do a loadout and tell you which shells he has, cause he's not generally going to have a lot on him at any given time. I'd call it at 10 "caster" shells, and that counts duplicates.

Meaning, not ten TYPES of shell, TEN shells period. And that's a best case situation. I was thinking more along the lines of he has maaaybe 5. With Player fiat, in a time of extreme danger, he might have one that he squirreled away somewhere that he forgot about. (the previous line is complete speculation, because I doubt I would be allowed it.)

I'll PM you with a list of effects if so and just list them by number, since I would want them to be a surprise in game.

Personality is not gonna be a carbon copy of the character in question. I'd play it differently, I'm just using it for abilities, cause I think it's a neat idea.

Postby Glacier » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:43 pm

What level of tech are we talking here?

Postby Hasegawa Rayven » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:38 pm

not very high I would think.

gunslingers as a DnD class are very specifically only at the level of simple revolvers.

Postby Glacier » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:53 pm

That's what I was figuring... Where there's guns, there's bombs and whatever else explosive powder produces. I got an enchanter / bomber on the brain. Similar to the enchanted shells idea, just a higher risk / reward.

Postby Hasegawa Rayven » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:58 pm

well, you also have to take into consideration, worlds of magic generally doesn't NEED the gunpowder to make things go boom. Any decent mage can muster up a fireball after all.

Postby Glacier » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:53 am

True, but not all Mages specialize in the pure arcane or elemental arts... I plan to enchant more than just bombs, but seeing as magic is less reliable in this RP world I want a guaranteed boom with the good possibility of it being a BOOM! if that makes any sense...

Next

Return to Role Playing