The Odyssey of Colburn et al. OOC

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

The Odyssey of Colburn et al. OOC

Postby DaCrum » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:13 am

The Odyssey of Colburn et al.

"We moved off Earth onto refurbished off-system planets for the sake of safety, for stability you wouldn’t find back home. We brought what we could; wasn’t like we were rich or anything. Luxuries were few and far between. Hell, the only way we were able to get enough money for the planet refurbishment was how large the group was. 2,500,000 political dissidents, prisoners, undesirable families. The poor, the lost, the hated. Communists, fascists, racists, radicalists, fundamentalists. Muslims, Christians, Atheists, men and women of all races, creeds and looks. We got together all we had, sold what we couldn’t carry, packed up on ships, and left Earth. Some of us planned on seeing it again one day; some never wanted to lay eyes on the Blue Marble ever again.

"Hell, in retrospect, it seems the latter knew what the fuck was going on.

"It came in waves. Slight little waves. Whispers along radio waves, bounced out of the still open wormholes we tore to get to this far planet. News clips every so often. The confident voice of a newscaster or politician spewing rhetoric in reply to a situation. We thought it wasn’t too bad, or at least the optimistic of us did. We were still so young a human colony, we still needed the umbilical cord to Earth, to home. Then...

"Static. Massive waves of static. It didn’t take long for us to realize what happened. That instability we so cowardly ran from had finally collapsed. Earth, the Blue Marble... Home... Was gone.

"And we were alone.

"A generation passed. I, myself, was put into cryo. To be a living artifact. To be hidden from the growing violent generation. Kids longed to return home.

"I remember when they crashed the ships into the planet.

"I remember watching riots grow in our domes and cities.

"And then... Black. I was asleep. I dreamed of open oceans, green grass lawns, New York, Paris, Tokyo, the cities of Earth in all their yore, things I would never see again."

The middle aged face in the hologram held a look of solemnity, frozen. Waves of interlacing distorted the face like that of an old television. A gloved hand picked up the semiclear glass disk the hologram had emanated from, and pocketed it in the inside pocket of a brown, worn leather duster.

Timeline:
0 AME: Mass exodus of unwanteds from Earth.
Approx. 10 AME: First transmission leaks from Earth regarding increased instability
12 AME: Continued spreading from the domes and cities as a means of escape from increased control from Unwanted Officials
15 AME: Unrest continues in the domes and cities as Unwanted Officials try to prevent urban decay, and stabilize the growing economy. News of growing war on Earth spreads.
20 AME: The Crashing of the Ships. Terrorists from an Anarchist movement pilot all colony ships into the planet. The death toll is minimal, only the crew and the hijackers.
21 AME: Earth is made inhabitable.
22 AME: The news of Earth reaches the planet. Civil unrest reaches its climax. The domes are vastly abandoned by families fleeing the growing violence.
25 AME: The Unwanted Officials quietly disappear. Speculation as to their whereabouts is few and far between.
40 AME: “Boss” Colburn finds the hologram amongst the ruins of a colony ship.

CS:

Name: Duh
Sex: Male/female. Duh.
Brief Personality: I mean brief. I want you to sort of just give what one would get from a FIRST impression. If you want to make the personality complex, exposition in in the RP.
Brief History: Same here. Just give a brief description of how they got to be on this planet. Are they first generation, second generation, maybe even 3rd? This should definitely match the age.
Occupation: Some sort of the next things have attracted “Boss” Colburn to your character.
Skills: “”
Equipment: “”

Name: “Boss” Colburn

Sex: Male

Brief Personality: Jaded, older, intelligent, not very savvy with his money (but a good bargainer), born and raised in the wilderness, however, very pragmatic, and very uneducated. Frowns upon philosophical points. Not heavily religious, but still superstitious, and prays when nervous. Gives away all his money except for the necessities because he doesn't know what to do with it. He's generous, but not in a warm loving way.

Brief History: Colburn was a first generation, only 20 years old approx. He had minor experience with security, and acted as part of the security cache on the colony ships. Left the security force 11 AME and became a private contractor outside the cities/domes. Did that for a majority of his life. Assisted in the relief effort after the Crashings. It was a sentimental investigation to his old colony ship where he found the hologram. This spurned his quest, so he publicly posted some cryptic ads asking for “Adventurous type for lucrative job offer. Pay not guaranteed.”

Occupation: Retd. private security contractor/mercenary. Supposedly a hitman back on Earth.

Skills:
Basic ropes skills
Gun use and maintenance
In his heyday, was skilled in hand to hand combat, esp. boxing... Now it’s mostly boxing, and not even good at that.
Cooks... poorly

Equipment:
Basic camping equipment, incl tent, sleeping bag, cooking kit, mess kit
S&W Model 29 6” (3.5 lbs)
Mossberg 500 (9 lbs)
Winchester M1873, modern edition (12 lbs)
8" KA-BAR knife (1.1 lbs)
Total of 70.6 lbs of equipment in a backpack

Notes About the World

The technology to open wormholes was on Earth. For interstellar space travel, on the colony ships. Because of the economic state of the travelers, which by the way were only the 2.5mil(might make that number bigger), there was not much money for advanced weaponry. So the weaponry that was brought was whatever was owned by the families. During the unrest, many families were... split from said weaponry. A large shipment of gunpowder weapons, as well as the planet's own resources allowed for further gunpowder weaponization. Laser weaponry was unfortunately lost with the ships. The climate of the planet is similar to Earth, a bit more arid. Lots of, would you guess it, dry grasslands, especially in the populated areas.
Last edited by DaCrum on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Escape will make me God.
65124_134_12++[CMND PRAMA +49c2]

Re: The Odyssey of Colburn et al. OOC

Postby Archrival » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:11 am

What age range can weapons be? Like 1800's-1960's? Cus I noticed you had a 1961 shotgun.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby DaCrum » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:16 pm

I'd say anything up until modern age. Gunpowder weaponry basically. Nothing laser or railgun, because I'm imagining that's more military than what the civs would be carrying.
Escape will make me God.

Postby Belwicket » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:47 pm

How about a gas-gun like from Green Hornet? [Yes, I'm being funny.]
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby DaCrum » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:04 pm

:| NO FUN FOR YOU.
Escape will make me God.

Postby Villain » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:09 pm

Hmmm, what about gas masks? Can you use those?
For the king, For the king, For the sake of Skyrim. For the Nine, for the hope of High Hrothgar's pass, and for all of Sovngarde; Where the souls sing your song. For the king, For our King, who will guard Hrothgar! Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin, naal ok zin los vahriin, wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal!
Ahrk fin norok paal graan, fod nust hon zindro zaan, Dovahkiin, fah hin kogaan mu draal!

Postby DaCrum » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:11 pm

Gas masks would work, but I'm not imagining them to be at all useful. Maybe there'd be poison gas?
Escape will make me God.

Postby Villain » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:17 pm

Meh, cosmetic purposes really. Although the whole avoiding poison gas thing would be useful. Mainly asking so I can toy around with making a Death Korps of Krieg soldier/German Death trooper.
For the king, For the king, For the sake of Skyrim. For the Nine, for the hope of High Hrothgar's pass, and for all of Sovngarde; Where the souls sing your song. For the king, For our King, who will guard Hrothgar! Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin, naal ok zin los vahriin, wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal!
Ahrk fin norok paal graan, fod nust hon zindro zaan, Dovahkiin, fah hin kogaan mu draal!

Postby DaCrum » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:20 pm

Realize that the characters are being hired by my guy. Try to think if your character would be hired by my guy. Which means if you creep him out, or look like a fascist(you can still be a fascist), then he probably won't hire you. I've dealt with "guys in gas mask" characters before, and they always turn out really flat.

EDIT:

Basically what I'm saying is you'd really have to sell the character to me, and even then, I'd be accepting it with a large amount of apprehension.
Escape will make me God.

Postby Villain » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:31 pm

Well that depends on how much of an effect the gas mask has on the character. The clothes don't define the person to say the least. Although, taking in what you said, it does kind of look like a fascist. Meh, maybe I'll get rid of the mask and keep the skull motif as a form of engineer's face guard (Or just a regular face guard) and try to keep the rest.

Postby counterfeitself » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:31 pm

WIP

Name: Gavin `Gav` McPherson
Sex: Male
Brief Personality:
Brief History:
Skills:
Pistol skills and Maintenance
Fencing Skills, Notably Sabre and to a much more limited degree Épée
Rope Skills

Equipment:
Family Heirloom Sabre.
An Epee
Rope

Postby Belwicket » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:03 pm

DaCrum wrote::| NO FUN FOR YOU.

It was a joke. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I'll join.
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby DaCrum » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:36 am

Well hurry up and decide. This thread is pitiful.
Escape will make me God.

Postby Belwicket » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:13 am

Could I have a pair of SMGs and a sniper rifle?
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Villain » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:29 am

I don't think SMG's or Sniper Rifles are gun powder tech.

Postby DaCrum » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:37 am

Both are gun powder tech. I have a Mossberg 500. That's a pretty damned modern shotgun.
Escape will make me God.

Postby Belwicket » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:01 am

I thought they were. The only non-gunpowder spartan weapons on any of the Halo games (as far as I know) are the spartan lasers.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby DaCrum » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:09 am

In Halo a couple of the weapons are also rail/coil gun weaponry, magnetized instead of chemical propellant. But basically any modern weapon you can think of is gunpowder typically.

As for SMGs, off the top of my head, some decent ones would be...

CZ Scorpion
HK MP5K and the rest of the series
Uzi
P90

And snipers...

M20
M14 scoped
Dragonov series
AR50(M82 Barrett)
Springfield
Anything with a Lapua round really.
Escape will make me God.

Postby Belwicket » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:26 am

Name: Savannah Olivia Brown
Sex: Female

Brief Personality: She is very outgoing and sometimes flirtatious, like the girl that would send the mission to the dump before it even starts. When it's time to be serious, she's all business, being silent, concentrating on the mission doing what is needed to succeed. She's quick to trust people but her trust is easily lost and hard to gain back.

Brief History: She was born on the planet, as were her parents, but not her grandparents. She was raised by her parents and often saw her extended family. She had been trained by her mother's brother in some hand-to-hand combat at a young age so she would be able to defend herself if the need came. She joined the military once she came of age. Unfortunately, she was presumed dead when a mission literally blew up in her face. Since then, she's been selling her skills as a mercenary to those paying high enough.

Skills: Sniping and stealth are what she's best at but she's also very good at making an entrance and exit, if stealth is not needed, because of her normally loud and boisterous personality. She is also very good at making a mess, such as leaving food out at the base or her house or leaving a building as rubble on a mission.

Equipment: A Springfield sniper rifle, a pair of MP5K sub machine guns and a lock picking set. She is rarely, if ever, seen with more than 1 gun.
Last edited by Belwicket on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 9 times in total.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby DaCrum » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:30 am

Hmm, could you make her less like a commando? I'm sorry, it just bugs me a bit for some reason.
Escape will make me God.

Postby Belwicket » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:08 pm

Just out of curiosity, what exactly does AME mean?
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby DaCrum » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:43 am

After Mass Exodus.
Escape will make me God.

Postby Belwicket » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:16 pm

What should I change about her? Should I take out the military part?
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby DaCrum » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:41 pm

I don't mind the military part, but you've made her up to be some sort of commando/super soldier. Make her more human.
Escape will make me God.

Postby Belwicket » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:50 pm

She's just a normal military soldier with a very scarred face. I don't know how she looks like a commando.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Next

Return to Role Playing