The Plummet Of Hinden - Out of Character - Sign-ups [Closed]

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Re: The Plummet Of Hinden - Out of Character - Sign-ups [Open]

Postby Hana » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:50 am

Blond hair, unruly and wavy, so it's usually kept in a french braid. Pale skin. Dark brown/black eyes. Flight suit with moss-ruffed collar and cuffs, plus gloves and heel-less shoes OR domestic skirt + apron + long-sleeved blouse with a Victorian-y flavor. Basically stuff that keeps most of her skin covered because of sunburn risk. Alternately, if you wanted to draw her wearing something skimpy and make her embarrassed, that'd be funny. I imagine that her clothes would be earth-tone colors because of what they're made out of...although I guess the leathers could be dyed as they're tanned. Hmmm...Surprise me on clothing colors?

And yeah, I imagined it a lot like Aang's, but with a larger and more rectangular base, as opposed to staff-like. Big enough to stand on and small enough to be worn kind of like a backpack.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Fummoffu » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:07 am

Ah, thank you for the info :D
This will be fun. I'll do my best to portray her.

This is what my character looks like. Ani ^^

http://img153.imageshack.us/i/ani3.png/
I make things
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hana » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:39 am

Chuute! I so very much look forward to seeing how you interpret Telai! <3
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Fummoffu » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:43 pm

I like her :D
She's awesome.
When I like a character I feel the need to draw him/her.
I make things
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Sorry, I'm getting on this late. Is this going to be different from the usual RP's that take place here? All I saw was a bunch of information about not about CS's? Was there going to be another thread like usual and all the other RPs. It just had striked me as odd.

Postby Iris » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:05 pm

Rather than a traditional CS, BeeAre wants us to make an OOC 'intro' post detailing our character's actions, personality and such. It also allows BR to see how we write or how a specific poster may interact.
So a kind of 'slice of life' for our given character.

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:18 pm

That's rather interesting. So basically a backstory?

Postby Iris » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:21 pm

Effectively yes but when BR comes online he can answer your question with certainty.

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Less a backstory, more a short glimpse of a regular day. Or at least, the one before the RP starts.
For the Greater Good

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:42 pm

Feels like what I used to do waaay back then in chatrooms. Fair enough. *rubs chin*

Postby Asmodai » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:44 pm

Imma enjoy this :3
Mephobiac

Postby BeeAre » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:42 pm

Iris is correct, Miz Amara.

Amaranthine Ali wrote:Feels like what I used to do waaay back then in chatrooms. Fair enough. *rubs chin*

yes! ancient RPing! GEKITOU FOR LIFE

edit:
BeeAre wrote:The luftshrooms are absolutely massive, like, redwood tree sized floating mushrooms. The outer texture is like bark, the inner texture is more solidly fibrous, but still thick. It burns as an inefficient fuel, so most people use that to heat their homes in the stead of Viator (reserved for chilly nights when the town's migrational cycle takes them to either higher altitudes or more polar latitudes.

there are colonies of monkey-level ants in the luftshrooms. When I say monkey-level, they are about the same size and intelligent and temperment and average population. They live in tunnels they make out of the luftshroom's tops, and are run in matriarchal packs (i mean, duh, there's still a queen, her butt is just significantly less proportionally huge than your standard ant). What are they called? Shit, I dunno, let's go with Munkants.

You will see a lot of feral kriffids, and flying rays of sorts, as well as a huge number of both simply very large humming birds who sip from parasitic vines with flowers, and larger permanently-flying birds. Their legs have sorta become extra wings.

Also flying sharks and piranhas that eat these things. They're a combo of lungfish and flying fish that sit out in near-by clouds ambushing things.

Basically, luftshrooms are upside down forests. The top of it is a big boring plain where Kriffid roam, but then the stem is a huge huge huge set of weaving branch-like structures teaming with mosses and flowering vines that have birds and ants and rays and sharks that circle them.

When a forest starts dying, the animals start jumping ship. The mushroom takes years to die, though, and descends very slowly, and during this process, it spores, and new sprouting shrooms take over chunks of the dead parts, and go off on their own.

information regarding Luftshroom Forests and their interiors as well as inhabiting animal populations. Made that in a PM to one of our players.

I have missed out on a few significant details, I believe, so I'll note those here.

First, where does all this metal come from?

Two places: Dying Luftshrooms, as they descend, spew metal flakes out, flakes out: this is a defense mechanism that the Luftshroom does when sick, to a certain extent; it oxidizes a great deal of its interior and vents this mineral dust to one-two punch foreign contaminants. When it dies it does this too as the organism tries to resist dying, long enough so that it can spore on its big ole flat mushroom top. There are specialized skiffs that specialized gatherers use that round up this dust, collecting big ole bags of rusty powder to be smelted into mostly iron and copper bars/parts. This is a strictly low altitude phenomenon, that exists just above the Storm Current (more on this extremely important detail later).

Second: in a few locations around the world, the regular rise of Viator crystals into the sky with huge heated mineral chunks on them, new floating mountains to be mined of the crystal and the resources, in a great balancing act to make sure that the miners get absolutely everything.

Next important detail, the cataclysm that broke the world.

There is a surface, but why doesn't anyone go to it? Again, two reasons.

The first is that it is full of noxious fumes and molten rock, green patches of sulphur-filled clouds, lava floes, Hell On Earth, if you will. No one could survive for a very long time on this extremely unstable surface.

However, you might argue that they could survive for a little while, and try to establish something for experiment's sake. The real reason they cannot go to the surface is the Storm Current. A ways down (perhaps a dozen miles from the average height that the giant Viator crystals can reach before their weight splits them up and keeps them at a regular altitude), there is a permanent storm.

It is, as far as the Aeran understand, a natural phenomenon, but it is an eternal and nearly divinely powerful localized layer of winds, clouds, and lightning. No ship, no matter how large or strong, has been able to go for more than a few minutes in this storm before the crew must retreat upwards or inevitably have their airship torn apart. There is a deep cultural fear of this perma-storm, and so the relatively normal storms that happen up where the Aeran civilization floats invoke a sort of communal anxiety and alertness.

Let's see if I'm forgetting anything, ah, okay, last thing: Because everything floats, maps are extremely difficult to make, and generally have things that exist in local areas rather than exact locations, and generally maps are built around the location of Kayanilchi, the world capital city that is a huge continent-sized set of platforms (its position is pretty stable being so big lol :O ).

I think radio exists, I'll get back to you on that, not confirmed as of yet, but I'll rummage my notes and see if I've got that anywhere. I've got to dash to dinner.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:53 pm

This shall be awesome. :3

Postby Iris » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:41 pm

Give me a shout BR if you'd like me to change anything or if you notice any grammatical errors.

The sun was beginning to set as the "Horizon's Curtain" made it's way to the docks, the clouds just outside the walls had been a luminous and fiery orange that few people would see due to the walls that held back the wind. Perhaps they might get glimpses of the setting sun but to Azariah Lockthane, it was a sight that never got old.
Inside the cockpit the man kept a close eye on the folding sails as they began to descend back into the ship, the pier was nearing with ever passing second but with ease Az slowed the vessel down and maneuvered his cargo-ship according to his co-pilot guidance so that the mooring lines could be placed, he could hear her advice clearly. Ani had only been with him for two years but she had worked hard, more so than anyone else would've given her position and her past.
Outside his cabin Az could see the dock crew working hard to secure his vessel, their voices could only just be heard through the buzzing of various equipment that monitored the "Horizon's Curtain" status.

With a heavy sigh Azariah turned the propellers off, they slowly spun down until all four finally stopped, making sure everything was in order he left the wheel, picking up his long leather coat and putting it on as he walked down the narrow hallway, lit only by the fading light from the cockpit now. Each step was shuffled as his boots almost dragged lazily, now that he was back at the docks he'd have to wait until the next cargo needed to be hauled between that and looking up on the schedule, he'd be stuck with a lot of desk work for now. Perhaps he should just put them off for a bit, take a day or two off and go sky-surfing... but Az knew that if he took the easy way out the work would only double.
Opening the hatch that lead to the outside, a soft and subdued gust of wind greeted him, causing both his coat and his short ponytail to flutter for the briefest of seconds, that small breeze in away reflected how confined this place was, how his own freedom would once more be held in check. Not even an hour back on solid rock and he already wished to set sail.

Walking to the side of the great vessel Az leaned on the rails looking towards the windbreakers the dying rays of the sun shone on his face, oddly he reflected that the two ear-studs in his left ear were glittering now but then it was a strange reflection. Distantly he wondered what Ani was doing now, know her 'habits' were kicking in but as long as she kept herself busy Az wouldn't have to check up on the girl. A small smile played on the man's face, thinking about the fact that soon she'd face her trials, part of him was curious to what task she'd be given.

Another gust of wind blew through his hair, interrupting his thoughts as nature called out to his own inner oddity. Part of him longed to experience the freedom of falling, the only time when a person would be free. Tumbling from the heavens towards the world long since abandoned, watching the clouds fly past you as gravity pulls you back to the ancestor's birthplace. What would a person see or feel as he fell? Regret? Satisfaction? Perhaps even fear? What would one see past the storm current, would one even survive the treacherous winds that would likely claw at your flesh and clothing? And what would be there to greet him before his inevitable death?

How he longed to finally find an answer to his fascination, just to walk off the end of the "Horizon's Curtain", maybe even do a dramatic jump over the rails and then be done with it. Yet Azariah knew that now was not the time indulge himself, he had logs to fill, he had his parents who needed his help piloting the ship and most importantly; Ani wasn't ready yet. Two years had past since her tragedy and while she was recovering now, his thoughtless action might cause her to spiral back to the moment he had found her.

The with those dark memories playing within his mind, Azariah Lockthane backed away from the rails to over look to what the dock crew were doing now, his youthful face now surprisingly serious and brooding. For now he had a job to do and until the moment was right he wouldn't shrink from it in the slightest.
Last edited by Iris on Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Fummoffu » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:18 pm

The fiery orange sun was slowly being extinguished on the horizon. Ani made her way to the underdeck and began to retract the sails, a task that she had performed for almost two years aboard the Horizon’s Curtain. The wind whistled, which added to the beauty of the dying day, and it waved Ani’s black, yet shimmering hair , in the cool air. She sighed happily as she finished retracting the last sail, and then began to swiftly tie the lines into a numerous amount of knots. She had to make sure that the bonds she had tied were strong, not because of any real danger, but because she was completely obsessed with every task being done correctly. Once she was finished, (this being the second time she had redone the knots) she removed the turquoise tinted goggles from her face to reveal a pair of dark, yet friendly eyes. Her skin was of a darker copper complexion, except for two pale scarred streaks that rest below her eyes (A reminder of her earlier days working in the boiler room of the ship). Although she had come of age, she still had the soft and gentle face of an innocent youth

She made her way to the boiler room (her field of expertise) where she thoroughly checked that all was right. Her fingers were itching to whip out one of her many tools, but for now they remained strapped to her utility belt. She checked the meters, oiled the cogs and gears and wiped all the fragile surfaces with a damp cloth. She paused for a moment, remembering back to the days before she lived aboard the Horizon’s Curtain. Her father would teach her how to fix and maintain engines just like this one. That was of course...before the tragic incident occurred. Her hand clenched the rag, drops of water fell to the floor and were soon mixed with her own tears. She blinked and frantically tried to wipe the tear away. The day her life changed was forever burned into the retina of her mind’s eye. Vicious sky pirates, who were on the run, had tried to force her parents to repair the engine of their battered ship, but, they wanted more!

After her father agreed to fix the engine, the pirates decided that they wanted to take Ani as well. In an attempt to save her life, her father pushed her off the side of the docked ship and sabotaged the engine. As she fell, the damaged engine blew up and tore the ship asunder, killing everyone on board. Before she hit the ground a young man, riding a sky board, swooped down and rescued her. It was none other than Azariah. His father took her in and in exchange for learning how to become a pilot; she would have to work for his company. Two years later, she was the co-pilot of the Horizon’s Curtain and also its onboard mechanic

Her tears ceased as she was reminded of Az and his father’s generosity. To the people of Hinden family comes before anything else, and they accepted her as one of their own. She smiled as she wiped the dust off her jacket. Everything was in order and that made her happier, but she soon felt the need to tend to something else and decided to find Az. As she walked along the hallway, it occurred to her that he might be on the main deck. This meant that he was probably feeding his desire and fascination of jumping over the side. Her expression changed to that of shock as she sped towards the entrance of the main deck.
Last edited by Fummoffu on Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I make things
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby BeeAre » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:31 pm

HNGGGGGGGGGGG

;_; so wonderful. our cast of characters is beautifully varied.

Iris and Fummo planned out their cooperation.

and BTW I believe Iris is our in-character mod, if no one has any objections.

I'll be plotting some guidelines for him to follow so as to allow for semi-independence for you guys from me creating scenarios. What this really means is that when an adventure starts, if I start going AWOL (which I really don't think will be an issue but it is good to have a back up plan you know), Iris will be able to let a mini-adventure go on

like a filler episode in a TV show. Not exactly necessary, but it can let you guys continue your character development until the main plot returns. Again, not likely that we will see too much of it unless needed (or even requested as a chance of pace), but a nice flexible system for auxilliary.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
Puff Most Epic.
BR

Postby Fummoffu » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:43 pm

It's all good, BR. I don't RP in forums very often so this is still kinda new to me.
And yes, Iris and I have been working together on fleshing out the relationship between Ani and Az.
I make things
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Asmodai » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:04 pm

Oh, I'm dropping the cop idea... it would be too much like other characters I have... instead I've been talking with Iris and Fummo, and I'm now a co-mechanic onboard their ship.
Fummo's character is showing mine the ropes

Going for a runaway kid, that just wants to have adventure! (really, I just wanted a cheerful character)
Mephobiac

Postby Fummoffu » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:42 pm

Anastazia - AKA Ani

EDIT: Just noticed I put an "L" instead of an "N". Bleh
I make things
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Iris » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:18 pm

I'm honored that you've chosen me BR, I'll try not to disappoint. And don't worry, if you go AWOL I'm sure I can pester you back, once you've got a moment anyway haha.

Damn Ani is adorable... and considering her past, I'm sure Az would give her a hug when she's down.

Postby Asmodai » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:22 pm

This turned out so much better than I even hoped for

Rosemary "Rose" Elizabeth Hornchester (don't ever call her by her full name)

Will make a intro post tomorrow
Mephobiac

Postby BeeAre » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:14 pm

holy shit scott pilgrim as fuck Asmodai.

Jeez man. You ever want to make a comic some time, holy crap.

You're BLOMing out over there, so much awesome cannot be contained.
Puff Most Epic.
BR

Postby Asmodai » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:30 pm

It's not really Scott Pilgrim... except maybe the eyes... but I take that as a huge compliment!
As for comics, this character alone took me an entire day. Let alone a panel with 2 character and a background. It'd be released one panel per week :P
Mephobiac

Postby Mathias » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Fummofu wrote:Anastazia - AKA Ani

EDIT: Just noticed I put an "L" instead of an "N". Bleh

I'm curious to see your design of Ali for the comic. :3

Postby Fummoffu » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:46 pm

Oh. Yeah. It'll be good. Talked her to about it.

Also...

I DECLARE AN ART WAR ON ASMO!
Just wait till I get illustrator

My Ani :3 (Believe it or not. No referrence. Just took 2 hours.)
I make things
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing