The Thanatos Effect: Chapter Two - The Drop

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: RP Mod Squad, Mod Squad

Re: The Thanatos Effect: Chapter One - Arrival

Postby Erina » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:52 am

The woman in the green pantsuit looked up from her notepad. “Damien,” her eyes narrowed. “Your manner is disgusting, as usual.”

“Myra, Myra,” the man in the beige suit chided, his tone vaguely amused. “Don't be mean to our Dr. Caldwell.”

The woman opened her mouth to speak, but then hesitated, thinking better of it. “–In any case, I've gathered everything I need for the report. I'll take my leave now,” although her tone was firm, she paused. The man smirked, and without a look back, waved his hand. She abruptly stood up and disappeared behind the door.

“That, ladies and gentlemen, was the lovely Myra St. Moritz,” he glanced at his watch. “Your timing is uncanny, Caldwell. You're right, we haven't started yet.” The blond man arose from the armchair, stretching out his shoulder blade. “On that note, again, welcome to Celsius,” he clapped his hands together, his voice increasing in volume. “As you've heard by now, my name is Grant Eckhart. I'm currently the general manager of Project Epsilon, which the doctor will explain shortly.”

Eckhart turned, looking back at the young woman. She was gathering an assortment of papers and envelopes into a small attaché case. She glanced up, stopping as they made eye contact. “And then there's Sharline. Do you want to say anything?”

“Um...” she hesitated. The woman stood from her seat, holding the attaché with both hands. “Nice to meet you, everyone,” she began rather conventionally. Her tone was uncertain. “My name is Sharline McGovern–” as the woman spoke, she caught sight of Caldwell's expression. A smile spread across her lips. “Getting antsy over there, Damien?”

Eckhart's gaze lingered on Sharline. At length, he turned back toward the recruits and unkempt doctor. “–And that's everything. Caldwell, you can begin the tour.”
Asmodai wrote:Behind every powerful man, stands an even more powerful woman... right? xD

Postby Bolts » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:45 am

Dr. Damien Caldwell ~ What's my name, bitch?

Damien twitched when Myra addressed him by his first name, shooting the woman a hostile stare before Eckhart properly announced his name. At least that's what he thought. No more than ten seconds later even Eckhart got it wrong, followed by that Sharline woman, then Eckhart again! "I didn't go to school for three quarters of my life to put up with this shit!" he growled to himself, pulling a cigarette from his coat pocket and lighting it promptly. After dragging nearly the entire death stick in one go, Damien calmly walked across the room and blew the toxic fumes directly into Sharline's face. "Ms. McGovern......I'm a doctor. Address me as such." the good doctor warned the woman, sticking what was left of the cigarette back into his mouth. "Now then, if you'll all get off your asses and follow me, there's a chance I might get some sleep tonight."

The doctor motioned for the group to rise before heading out the door, followed by Sharline and Eckhart. "Welcome to Celsius, I'll be your tour guide this evening. If you have any questions, please write them down on a sheet of paper, crumple it up, and shove it up your ass." By now the group was standing in a long hallway, surrounded by triple-pane glass windows. On the opposite side, various scientists could be seen working. Some were tinkering with various firearms, others were working with body armor, and still others were working, quite cautiously, with explosives. "This is the part we let tourists see." A key card fell into the doctor's hand as he swiped it across a seemingly unimposing tile on the wall. Much to the groups surprise the wall gave off a whooshing sound several hydraulic pistons released, causing the wall to subside, revealing yet another hallway. "And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the real deal." Dr. Caldwell had a smile on his face for the first time since he'd been introduced to the group. The tile switched from the bright white that was visible to the public to a kind of onyx black as the group continued on. Aquariums lined the walls, stretching the full length of every hallway in Celsius. Despite their obviously relaxing feel, Damien couldn't help but cringe each timed one of the fishy occupants swam by.

Finally the group reached the end of the hallway, passing through a set of double doors only to emerge into a downwards stair case. "You'll be spending most of your "free" time down here. If you start coming down with cabin fever, don't come to me." The group continued downstairs for roughly five floors, which begged the question as to why they didn't take an elevator. Finally the group emerged into a large underground room, several football fields in both length and width. "Welcome to your new home. If you'll look up you'll see the sky." Sure enough if one were to look up they would see the artifical projection of a sky above. "That's what we call the holo-roof. It captures images from the sky above Neo Thermopolis 24-7. That means we'll have a full day and night cycle down here, unless we're doing late night testing. Either way it helps make the place feel less cramped." The group made their way to the center of the room before Dr. Caldwell motioned for them to halt as he turned around to address them once more. "So, where should we begin? We can direct you to your sleeping quarters or get right to work?"
Last edited by Bolts on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Keiran » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:11 pm

-Corporal Kirill Galia-

Kirill stood besides Issiah during the entire tour and moved closer to the older man every time the doctor came near. He spoke quietly to Issiah during the tour, only speaking when the Doctor wasn't so neither of them would miss the explanation, "I apologize for outburst. Was very unprofessional." He ran his metal fingers through his hair, "Is just habit for when not in military, and I have not been returned for long. Please forgive me."

He cringed every time that Damian talked and he half his behind Issiah. He reminded Kirill of his brother. "What we do for work?" he asked timidly from behind Issiah.

Postby Erina » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:09 am

Sharline – Enter Sharline McGovern

Sharline grasped the collar of her blazer, coughing as Caldwell and the recruits departed. What the–? She heard a clack as the last person closed the door behind them. Urgh...cigarettes. She cleared her throat. That smell sure was disgusting. She adjusted the small, flight attendant-like scarf around her neck. Did he have be so gross around those jarheads. Sensing something in her peripheral, the young woman looked up.

Grant Eckhart loomed before her. Although his expression appeared blank, his jaw was tight. Uh-oh. “You alright, Sharline?” he asked in a hard voice.

“Grant, relax,” she laughed reflexively. The analyst didn't know why, but she could feel an ominous energy in the room. “I'm fine. I'm not going to get emphysema.” Eckhart did not respond to her, looking at his hand. It clenched into a fist. “–He pull that shit when I'm not around?”

“Oh, come on. It's not a big deal,” Sharline struggled to keep her tone light. Shit. He's really upset. “He's...he's just moody,” she chuckled to herself. “Our prima donna in Logistics.”

Eckhart looked up at her. His eyes were intensely amber. Sharline fidgeted with her earlobe. He's not going to let this die. While it was true that Caldwell might be temperamental at times, the young woman knew he was the next best thing to Alfred Quail himself. She couldn't let Eckhart axe him because of some male ego-type deal. “Grant,” her tone was placating. “Don't do anything.”

It seemed like the man was looking through her now. Sharline wished she could hear his thoughts. At length, he unclenched and rotated his jaw. “–Regardless, let's follow the tour.” The young woman sighed quietly as she followed him out. Everything's a pissing contest.
Asmodai wrote:Behind every powerful man, stands an even more powerful woman... right? xD

Postby Hana » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:22 pm

~ Melani ~
~ Following Dr. Caldwell ~

Melani followed at the back of the group, arms crossed over her meager chest and eyes downcast, although she did look up enough to familiarize herself with what the good doctor was showing them. The level of her dejectitude lessened somewhat as they walked through the aquarium hallways. Her shoulders straightened to a semblance of normal posture, and she almost made the mistake of opening her mouth to answer Damien.

Then, she remembered the reactions she'd gotten every single time a syllable had left her mouth since she'd arrived here, and she promptly closed it again. She bit the inside of her cheek, sidling to one side to make sure she was blocked from Damien's view by a taller member of the team. She wasn't going to risk another emotional asskicking today, especially as Dr. Caldwell seemed to be in a mood, like all the other depressing gray clouds of somberness that had been gathered for this Project Epsilon.

She really hoped that it was all just jet lag that was making everyone cranky.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Asmodai » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:26 am

Ren - To the sky and beyo- oh...

Ren kept quiet as the good doctor gave them a tour, moving at the front of the group. It wasn't all that impressive, or even interesting. Just your every day research & development facility. People working on the gear for tomorrow. Was this really worth all the secrecy?

Dr. Caldwell now swiped a card in front of a meaningless looking tile. It was kinda unnerving to see the man smile now, kinda made you cautious on what you were about to step foot into. Perhaps we're testing a new kind of death pit. A small smile played on her face, until she saw where they were headed.

Now, Ren would never admit it, but she feels rather uncomfortable in areas that have no windows. A small hint of claustrophobia. But she kept her cool, and didn't change that much. But for those that kept a good eye on her, for whatever reason, would notice her eyes darting around a bit more frequent. Of course the fact that they went deeper and deeper underground didn't help make her feel more at ease. Even the massive hall with artificial roof didn't help, mostly because her mind knew it was fake. That beyond that illusion, yet another concrete ceiling lay, ready to fall on her and crush her. Or worse, trap her so that she would die a slow and painful dea- aah stop that!

The voice of the doctor snapped her out of her thoughts. The group was standing still in the giant hall, they now had the choice where they wanted to go. But how would they know where to go? She hadn't seen any kind of map or directions so far. Then again, she was not really focussed right now. "Dr. Calmell" she remembered him making such a fuss out of her name "It's nice and all that we're getting a tour, and this is all very... impressive. But I for one would like to know what this is all about, before venturing any further." Did those walls just come closer?
Last edited by Asmodai on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mephobiac

Postby Iris » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:27 am

Viscont Slavik, Celsius HQ

Viscont's face remained neutral as the other's talked amongst themselves, one of the men asked the question that buzzed in everyone's mind; Why were they here? The nervous woman whom he had startled gave a reasonable answer however it didn't appear as if the man was satisfied with her response.
Closing his eyes to try and focus on the voices rather than the group's faces, he began to wonder about why they were here. What qualities did they have that might appeal to this... host... this... corporation? He wasn’t sure what kind of opinion he should be making at this point, if he should be make one at all at this point as there was so little information given at the time. A group of officials moved into the room and began to speak but to a man like Viscont there wasn’t much relevance to the situation, not from his perspective anyway. He got that they worked in this... place but there was no meaning to the name.

As the names were being called out, it was noted that two people were missing from the meeting but a meeting to what? A talk between the man leading the group, a Grant Eckhart and one of the chosen members revealed that the question would be answered shortly.
The arrival of a fourth member of Celsius did not shed much light for Viscont. To him this ‘Dr. Caldwell’ presumed too much, from his memory Viscont had never even heard of him. Perhaps he was some unsung hero or creature of an everyday piece of equipment... but the attitude the man had did not inspire him in the slightest.

With the group now moving for a tour Viscont simply got up to follow, listening to the quiet conversations between the group. It appeared that the nervous woman wasn’t the only one to be shy. The talks continued and without having to have met any of the member’s of this ‘project’ he could get ideas of what to expect from them. Eckhart was a no nonsense man or at least as the so called ‘General Manager’ of the project. But once again the question to what the project was remained unanswered. Dr. Caldwell’s appearance had delayed the answer, while the Cernovian was used to being left in the dark during operations the manner at which they were being handle had not left an impression of gratitude on him.
Yet the problem lay in the fact that here it didn’t matter what his opinion was or should be. He was here under orders, chosen to be a part of this project. As such his opinion wouldn’t matter at this moment.

He remained silent to when they were asked to what they’d like to see, sleeping quarters or ‘work’. Viscont simply let his eyes wander around, keeping the details of the structure to his head. The technologies that had been shown were a luxury he’d rather have avoided in all honesty.

Postby Hana » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:15 pm

~ Melani ~
~ Following Dr. Caldwell ~

"Caldwell," Melani whispered as she leaned closer to Ren, "His name is Caldwell, with a d, not an m."

She blinked rapidly as the stench of the cigarette the girl had smoked filled her nostrils and straightened again as she stifled a cough. She understood that some people were addicted to nicotine and got crabby when their brain nicotine levels got low, but she would never, ever understand how the bulk of smokers were so thoughtless and self-centered as to light up wherever they wanted--like in an enclosed meeting room filled with other people. Part of Melani was convinced that people who did this were the type with senses of self importance that were so inflated as to make them think they were some sort of godly being, able to make decisions for other people without repercussions. The rest of her just felt pity for them, because they obviously weren't aware of how outright mean and disrespectful they were being.

Maybe she'd be able to convince Ren and Isaiah to quit smoking someday? That would be just lovely!
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Bolts » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:17 pm

Dr. Damien Caldwell ~ I hate these people.

Caldwell stood by fairly silently as the group members failed to answer what he thought was a rather simple question. Instead everyone just wanted to know what they were doing at Celsius. How dull. For a moment, Caldwell considered telling them there and then their purpose for being here. That is until Ren took her little shot at his name. Melani’s correction did little to ease the doctor’s frustration as he scribbled a note next to Ren’s name. “Your request is noted.” He stated flatly, turning on his heels away from the group. “First up on the tour is the training grounds.” Without so much as another word, Caldwell strutted down the gigantic hallway, followed closely by the rest of the group.

Isaiah took this brief lapse in Caldwell's ranting to answer Kirill. "Forget it. It's done." he whispered back towards the boy, taking care to avoid the ears of the mad scientist guiding them. "Get out from behind me though, you look ridiculous." The young sergeant sped up his pace a bit so as to put some distance between Kirill and himself before continuing to follow the good doctor.

In time they approached what looked to be a large rectangular glass enclosure, roughly the size of three football fields set side to side. At the far end of the enclosure was an intricate looking control panel, covered with all kinds of keyboards and monitors. “Like I said, these are the training grounds. You’ll be spending most of the next month or so in here so get used to it. In here we can simulate any kind of environment we want. For example let’s say we wanted to prepare you for a forest drop.” Caldwell slid into the operator’s chair, punching a few buttons on the main keyboard as he did. In seconds the floor beneath the training ground slid apart as artificial trees were raised into place, followed by shrubbery and other small foliage. “Impressive, no? Let’s also say it was raining.” Another few key presses and sure enough, rain poured down upon the training grounds. “Well you get the idea, moving on.”

Caldwell slid out of the chair and back into the main hallway of the underground complex. “Up next is the cafeteria.” The cafeteria was yet another glass enclosure, though this time lacking an artificial roof. Five long tables stretched the length of the enclosure with the kitchen and serving lines located in the rear. “No need to go into detail there so let’s just keep moving.” Caldwell branched off the main hallway, coming in to a long chain of walled off cabin-like structures. “These humble abodes are the barracks. There’s two to a room so you might as well start getting friendly with each other now.”

Not stopping to go into detail, Caldwell continued still further, turning back on to one of the main aisles. The group was now approached what looked to be the far wall of the complex. Caldwell finally came to a stop at a vault-like door, swiping the same key card he had before over a scanner before inputting the necessary security code into the number pad and finally scanning his palm print. The vault door hissed and swung open, revealing a treasure trove of various armaments from pistols to rocket launchers. “This is the armory. If I have to explain this to you then you really shouldn’t be here.” After shutting the vault doors, Caldwell continued once more down the main hallway, finally arriving at an isolated structure in the far corner of the complex. “This is the meeting room.”

Isaiah entered the room calmly, at this point he was wondering just how much longer the tour would go on. Before he could raise this question, a figure caught his eye. It was the figure of an old man, dressed in full military uniform with a row of stars across his shoulders. The young sergeant snapped into a salute as the elderly man rose from his seat. “General, sir!”

“At ease, Sergeant Cole.” The man spoke, his voice resembling that of a low key cello. “Welcome to Project Epsilon. My name is General Tiberius Rourke. If you’ll all kindly take your seats we can finally get down to business.”

Postby Kyuu » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:19 am

ZZ :Next Stop on Our Tour…:

ZZ was very bored with the doctor. He wasn’t very nice and very rude as he asked his questions. Only two things interested her, sleep and food. Of course the doctor had to start off with the things she didn’t care about. Training grounds? ZZ yawned silently as she stayed towards the back of the group near Sharline and Eckhart. As they passed the cafeteria, ZZ’s stomach growled softly, and her hand immediately pressed against it. She remembered she didn’t have breakfast earlier that morning. She watched as they walked by seeing other employee eat. “Definitely going there sometime soon…” She muttered under her breath. Passing by the sleeping quarters, ZZ yawned again, feeling exhausted from last night’s restless sleep. “Napping would be nice later too. If I get too…” She muttered again as they passed by. As they stopped in front of a vault door and the doctor stating it was the armory, ZZ’s interest was finally popped fully. She imagined taking one of those guns and shooting someone annoying, like Dr. Caldwell, in the head. The fantasy soon left as the door shut and the tour continued on to the last part, the meeting room. As soon as Isaiah said the word “General”, ZZ snapped to attention and saluted the general. “General.” She simply stated, hand raised in the proper position. After standing there for a couple of seconds, she relaxed and took a seat at the table as the general requested. ‘Hopefully this won’t take too much time…’ she thought to herself.

Postby Erina » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:24 am

Sharline and Eckhart followed the group into the room, with the executive closing the door behind them silently. As the recruits took their seats at an obsidian black table, the Celsius staff leaned against the back wall. Sharline's lips twitched as the servicemen reacted to General Rourke. Wouldn't have pegged them as that formal. She glanced over at Eckhart. Her superior was staring right through Rourke as he fingered a gold ring, sliding it up and down his tawny finger. Sharline's gaze lingered on the man's hands; she forced herself to look away.

Glancing around the room, it was clear that the elderly general was at everyone's point of interest. Tiberius Rourke. She didn't know the man well – he wasn't Celsius. The army types had been lurking around the premises for a few weeks, ostensibly to help with preparations for their recruits' arrival. Sharline looked closer at each of the servicemen. That's...Ishii. Ren. She recognized the woman by her jet-black hair and athletic body. And...Viscont Slavik. Sharline regarded a stoic-looking man, before a rougher fellow caught her eye. Isaiah Cole. As she saw them more closely, the analyst ran through a mental list of liabilities and potential contingencies. She coughed.

...Definitely a motley crew. She smiled as she pictured the cold, elite types that Celsius would have selected.

Postby Hana » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:01 pm

~ Melani ~
~ The Meeting With General James T Tibierius Rourke ~

Far be it from the little medic to not salute when a general introduced himself. However, she assumed the 'at ease' order applied to them all, and not just Isaiah. She took her seat, offering a bright smile to the general in return for his welcome.

"Thank you, sir. The, um, facilities are very lovely and, ah, efficient-looking," she offered by way of compliment. Her father had always taught her to start off with a compliment; he said it was something he'd always loved about her mother. It was also just an outright nice thing to do, and showed good manners even if you were lacking in certain other areas.

She was very careful to not chatter longer than it took everyone to be seated, though. That would have gone beyond politeness into the realm of annoyance, she was sure.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Bolts » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:02 am

Tiberius Rourke ~ Welcome To The Show.

Rourke waited for the enlisted men to take a seat before preparing himself for what was sure to be a long winded speech. The five star general caught Eckhart's stare dead on. He wasn't sure what the man was looking for, if anything. Regardless Rourke wasn't about to let a civilian get into his head. “Mr. Eckhart why don't you have a seat as well? This might take awhile after all.” The general stated with a polite nod, shuffling through some papers as he did. Not waiting to see if Eckhart or his staff complied with his request, Rourke dove straight into the business at hand. “Well, once again welcome to Project Epsilon. I'll be blunt as speeches aren't my strong suit.” The general pulled a small remote from his pocket, using it to dim the lights in the room as a large LCD screen flicked on behind him. “I believe it's safe to assume that most of you are familiar with SIRENs, correct? Just to be safe we'll go over a little crash course. SIRENs, or Synapse Integrated Reflex Enhancing Neurosuits, are light armor mobile assault units first developed as an advanced prosthetic by Dr. Alfred Quail in 2230. As some of you may know, it was later weaponized in 2232."

“Now then. Until recently SIRENs have been mobilized using either treads or wheels, giving them limited use on the battlefield. That's where you come in.” Rourke clicked another button on the remote, causing the LCD screen to bring up profiles of the group members. “We're still missing a few of you so I'll just cover the ones present. Sergeant Isaiah Cole, weapons specialist. Corporal Kirill Galia, artillery specialist. Corporal Ren Ishii, CQC and evasive tactics specialist. Private Viscont Slavik, Sniper. Corporal Melani Engleton, medic and.....mechanic? Huh, interesting.” He paused, glancing at the short bubbly girl before returning back to the screen. “And lastly, Private Zirra Zahari, artillery specialist.”

A final click of the remote took the group to a new screen, this one displaying the Celsius company logo. “You've all been selected because you're among the best at what you do. Now then, at this point you're probably wondering how that little SIREN introduction ties in to you being here. So.” another button click and the new bipedal SIREN prototype appeared on the screen. “This is a prototype of the latest SIREN models produced by Celsius. As you can see, it's bipedal as opposed to the tread and wheel based models you've seen before.” Rourke paused once again, placing his massive hands on the obsidian table as he faced the group. “You.....are going to pilot these models.” Rourke let the statement linger for a little while before addressing what he expected would be the most obvious objection. “You might be thinking, 'I've never piloted a SIREN before.' That's fine. These models are designed to enhance your natural movements. Think of them as an extension of your own body. So then......any questions?”

Postby Iris » Mon May 02, 2011 3:49 pm

Viscont Slavik

The fact a five star general was amongst them was not lost on Slavik, with a crisp but mute salute. His eyes focused on the general's face until he was dismissed and allowed to take a seat, wearily he choose to sit down with the other participants, after all it appeared that they really were in this together.

For the first time since he had gotten here, Slavik and the others were finally told why they were here and what they were doing. The so called SIREN's perked up his interest, perhaps this weapon truly could change the course of the war, turn the tide against the Maldovan war-machine.
The man looked about as every name was given out, with it their roles in combat. There were a variety of specialists here in this room though it was curious to hear that the general considered them 'the best at what they do'. He wasn't sure if the general was serious or not, in his eyes, Slavik wasn't the best at what he did, he merely did his duty.

Rourke continued explaining that the current SIREN models were effectively the first generation of bipedal versions. He also explained that these 'suits' would be increasing their movements, acting almost like a second skin. There was a moments silence as the general finished his speech, Slavik reflected to why that 'doctor' had been so high and mighty in his attitude; he was the man who aided in the creation of these tools of war. Slavik could see why the man would have such an obnoxious personality but with that understanding did not come respect, not yet anyway. Slavik might one day feel gratitude for the man but until then just like everyone else, they'd need to earn each other's appreciation.

Calmly Slavik turned to the general and asked a simple set of questions, "What are the risks involved in using these weapons? What should we look out for?" He leaned back in his chair as he awaited either the scientists or the general to answer.

Postby Hana » Thu May 05, 2011 2:32 pm

~ Melani ~
~ The Meeting of Revalations ~

Melani listened intently to the general and his history lesson, and when the introductions were made, she made sure to look at every member as their profile came up on the screen, giving them a genial smile. When her name and picture came up, she raised a hand to give a nervous little wave, smile still in place, and then clasped her hands in her lap once more.

When the dissertation finally ended, she maintained the same posture as before, hands clasped in her lap and smile pasted on her face, ready to sit quietly for as long as it took for them to be released. She'd learned in the past that when people asked if there were any questions, the questions she usually had were typically better suited for posing to entirely different people at a much later date.

But then Viscont asked a question and she had to turn and look at him, studying his face as he waited for his answer.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Asmodai » Sat May 07, 2011 7:11 am

Ren - Boxed in

Ren was starting to feel a bit hot as the tour led them through the various rooms. She wondered if it really was just this hot here, or if it was herself. The complex was certainly impressive, especially the training grounds. She could already tell that this was the place she was going to spend most of her time at, for some reason it was the only place so far that didn't giver her a feeling as if the roof was about to fall on her. Impressive, yes, but why, of all places, did it have to be build underground? The fake roof almost seemed like it was mocking her.

When they arrived at the meeting room, she was just as surprised to see a general here as the others were. This seemed a bit drastic for just a weapons test. She was glad when he told them they could take a seat, this heat was really starting to get to her. Didn't this place have air conditioning? What if they were all breathing in the same air? Good god, they'd all die from carbon monoxide poisoning or something. Stop that, girl. You're getting paranoid here, there's nothing wrong with this place. Just think of something else. Easier said than done though.

Luckily the general was once more there to help her, unknowingly. Of course she had heard of the SIREN units, very impressive heavily armored infantry. She had thought about joining those, but found the regular infantry to be more interesting and more fulfilling. She glanced at the people as the general named them together with their specialty. Colorful group, that much was sure.

Ren had been pulling at the border of her shirt ever since they entered that room, this room seemed even hotter. Was it really just her feeling so warm, or were the other just used to this kind of temperature?

When the general finally revealed the reason to why they were here, Ren stopped pulling at her shirt. This was unexpected. The main disadvantage of the current SIREN units, was their inability to maneuver in uneasy terrain. If they could manage to transfer the power of the current SIREN's to those new suits, that could mean a shift in the war! The warmth quickly snapped her out of her daydream. And as this Viscont man asked his question, she started pulling on her shirt again, trying to circulate some fresh air to cool her down. Bloody heat, it was getting difficult to keep her head clear.
Mephobiac

Postby Keiran » Sat May 07, 2011 12:48 pm

~Corporal Kirill Galia~

Kirill followed the group and listened and spoke softly, “Just one question,” he said softly, his hand raised and flicking his hair out of his eyes, “Who is target?” He blinked and tilted his head, a dangerous grin on his face as he watched the machines, it was exciting him. Bringing forward the soldier part of him instead of the submissive little brother.

Postby Bolts » Tue May 10, 2011 1:49 am

Tiberius Rourke ~ Question Time

The elderly general smiled as the two men made their curiosities known. “That's a question best left to Dr. Caldwell or one of the other scientists, private Slavik. However I can answer your question, corporal Galia. I'm not sure what you think this program is but there isn't a target as of yet. First we have to get you trained, make sure you can operate these things well enough, then find out where we can stick you to best serve our purposes. This isn't a training camp for assassins, corporal. Not yet at least.” Rourke took a seat at the head of the table, issuing a low gruff of pain as his old joints cracked and popped as he lowered. “That about settles that though. Dr. Caldwell would you mind answering private Slavik's question?”

Caldwell gave a long sigh in response to the general's request. It was quite clear that he actually did mind but he couldn't very well leave it be after being put on the spot like this. “We've worked out most of the kinks already. There's some basic stuff you should probably look out for though. For one thing, if any of you are claustrophobic-” His eyes shot over to Ren whom he'd been observing for quite some time. “Then you might experience something of a panic attack just from entering the bloody things. Assuming the selection committee actually took that into account when selecting you though, there are a couple of other things. For one, these SIRENs are going to be a bit of a strain on your bodies, so watch for muscle fatigue. We don't need any of you developing tendonitis from overexertion. Other than that just be mindful of the thrusters. It'd be extremely bad if the limiters stopped working and you melted through the armor.” The good doctor finished, leaning back into his chair.

“So....that's it then?” The voice of Isaiah peaked out from behind the two authority figures. “How's this going to be organized? I take it we're each being placed in one unit but who's our C.O? Excluding you, that is, general Rourke.”

“That'd be you, Sergeant Cole.” The powerful voice of Rourke responded almost immediately. “Truth be told we were going to spend a little more time deciding that but as it turns out the members of this squad we're missing were the other candidates for the team leader position. So, looks like you lucked out on this one.”

Isaiah was baffled. Him? He didn't know the first thing about SIRENs, aside from their basic functions and weapons. “.....Yes, sir.” He stated flatly, not one to question the decision of a superior. “Is there anything else we should know, sir?”

“Nope, I believe that's all. If there's nothing else I suggest you all make your way back to the barracks, get yourselves settled in, and try to enjoy your last bit of free time before this program gets started. So, if no one else has any questions......dismissed.”

Postby Hana » Wed May 11, 2011 3:46 pm

~ Melani ~
~ Toward the barracks! ~

Melani planted her hands on the table as she stood, giving everyone a bright smile. "Maybe after we all get our things to our rooms, we could meet and have some get-to-know-you time?"

If they were going to be working together as a unit wearing claustrophobia-inducing prototypes, there was going to have to be some trust-building at some point, and the cheery little medic obviously preferred getting some team-building in sooner rather than later, even though experience told her the group would likely shoot the idea down with full-auto weapons. The fact that Isaiah had been chosen as Commanding Officer gave her no small sense of dread that she hid behind her smile. He'd already made it clear that he didn't like her in the least. Maybe God would have mercy on her and he wouldn't be one of those kinds of people who went out of his way to make her life a slice of hell.

At the very least, Kirill seemed to not hate her. Maybe should could make friends with him...
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Kyuu » Fri May 13, 2011 12:30 am

ZZ :Barracks? Sleep?:

As ZZ sat through the meeting, she thought to herself about what these SIRENs could do. ‘That answers pretty much all my pondering questions, I suppose.’ She looked over at the faces of the group as they were told what they were getting themselves into. People watching was a hobby of hers. Watching people’s behaviors in various situations and reactions of others around them. After they were dismissed, ZZ stood up from her seat and started to head out as Rourke told them to head towards the barracks. Before she left, she listened to what Melani had to say about getting to know each other so we could at least look like we’re a team. ZZ nodded towards her, “I’m up for that”, she said, in a tone that was less than enthusiastic but not sarcastic. She knew that by getting know her teammates, it’ll be for a good purpose, not dying because they lacked that bond. She figured it would be like any job, just work friends and nothing more.

Postby Bolts » Thu May 19, 2011 11:58 pm

Isaiah Cole ~ First Day Jitters

Isaiah stood and saluted the General as he left the room, falling back into his seat almost immediately when he left. Day one and he was already in charge of the squad? Not to mention the fact that he'd only been selected due to a simple formality. The thought sickened him somewhat, more so than Melanie's bubbliness. Nevertheless, Rourke had suggested they try to enjoy themselves a bit for tonight. If the others wanted to spend a little more time browsing around the complex that was fine, frankly he just wanted to get settled in. "Let's get everyone settled in before we start talking about any 'get to know you time,' Corporal."

With that bit of advice, Isaiah led the group out of the meeting room and back to the barracks, followed closely by Dr. Caldwell. Upon arriving Isaiah noted that their bags were already waiting for them outside the barracks, stacked neatly in a row just outside the doors. Perhaps forgetting the Doctor's usual irritable mood, Isaiah turned to the man for advice on who was sleeping where. "So, where are we at, Doctor?"

Caldwell responded in his usual manner, with an incredibly low brow scowl. "You, Sergeant Cole, are in room 4, alone. Apparently the squad leader gets special treatment. Slavik and Galia, room 3. Eesh-Ugh, these names. Ishii, Engleton, and Zahari, we can't fit all three of you in one room so why don't you decide now who's rooming with who and who gets a room to themselves so I can go home?"
Last edited by Bolts on Tue May 31, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iris » Fri May 27, 2011 6:35 am

Slavik, The barracks

Slavik gave the Doctor a respectful nod as he finished, "My thanks for the explanation, I shall be mindful of the strain and the thrusters" Slavik didn't like the man, his air of superiority gave Slavik the feeling that the man cared little for anything that had nothing to do with test results, his research or praise.
However as a Cernovian, he kept it to himself and held his neutrality.

"Perhaps that would be a good idea, Corporal Engleton, was it?" Slavik said with a small and brief smile, "After all it seems like we will be working as one for some time."
He didn't know the Sergeant who had just been put in charge but if the general believed him to be able then Slavik would follow each order, or at least work to a degree to that order as best he could. With a respectful nod, he acknowledged Cole's status as his CO.

And then he was told whom he would be bunking with, not there was much of an option but it mattered little to Slavik about the fact he would share his space with Galia. Though he did hope the man would be mindful of 'personal space'. If there had been any indication from the previous reaction he had gotten, then Slavik wished to avoid the moment when Galia found his.... secrets.

Postby Hana » Fri May 27, 2011 10:16 am

~ Melani ~
~ Barracks ~

Isaiah once again threatened to rain on Melani's parade, but Slavik saved her from another emotional dip with some actual friendliness. He was rewarded for his efforts with a bright smile.

She had to turn to Caldwell, though, a Very Important question eating at her. "Doctor, is smoking allowed in the barracks? 'Cause, um...I'd prefer to be in a nonsmoking room, if it is. I'm a little sensitive to..." how to put it delicately? Selfish people who carelessly spread their toxic fumes? Carcinogens? Coffin nails? "...strong smells."

Really, neither of the other girls had been overly friendly. ZZ had at least not been outright hostile, but that didn't mean that Melly was champing at the bit to be her roommate and BFF. It wasn't like they were going to be painting each others' toenails and gushing about boys (although there were plenty of attractive guys here to gush about).

Really, it would probably be better for all concerned if the two really serious women roomed together and Melani was assigned to her own room. That way, she wouldn't annoy anyone into committing bloody homicide.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Erina » Fri May 27, 2011 6:22 pm

Sharline – Settling In

As the recruits left the meeting room and headed toward the barracks, Eckhart and Sharline stopped outside the doorway. "Think I've stayed long enough for this," the exec sighed, running a hand through his hair. A small smile played on Sharline's lips. "Grant, we were working in S-DAT forever. Don't tell me you're tired of Epsilon after a few hours."

The blond shot her a rueful half-smile. "Ha-ha. Don't worry, I'll be back," the CEO eyed Caldwell's disappearing figure down the hall. "James is serious about this. I'll check in frequently."

Sharline fidgeted. She couldn't help but hear a threat in the words. Stay smooth, Caldwell. "–I need to catch up," she hesitated. "See you later?"

"Yeah," Eckhart's eyes lingered on the woman before he turned to leave.

Sharline tried to jog at first, but running in stilettos was inordinately difficult. She opted for a brisk pace, slowing down when she rounded the corner to the group barracks. The entire squad was standing in a small hallway, which branched off to four doorways. Caldwell had just asked them which girl would be bunking alone, and the petite blonde – Melani Engleton – inquired about non-smoking rooms.

Sharline spoke up before Caldwell could respond. "If you don't mind, Doctor," the word was subtly emphasized. "I think I can answer that. Room 1 is a non-smoking room, Ms. Engleton," Sharline's smile for Melani was genuine. Of all these semi-threatening military men, seeing a normal-looking girl put her at ease. She pointed to the room behind Melani.

"That would be Room 1. Which puts Ms. Ishii and Ms. Zahari in Room 2," she motioned to the door next to Melani's, marked by a gold number two in an italic typeface. All the formalities felt stuffy. Wonder if we'll get on a first-name basis.

Postby Asmodai » Tue May 31, 2011 2:38 pm

Ren - Raise the roof... No really

"Right, right..." Ren briskly said. She wasn't even sure what she was agreeing to, something about getting to know each other? Oh well, anything to get out of this blasted room. While Isaiah -- bloody bastard already got promoted to team leader? -- led them towards the barracks, Ren noticed nobody else showing any signs that they were warm in any way. And Ren wasn't stupid, she was underground, confined spaces... "Great, I'm claustrophobic..." That doctor Caldwell probably noticed that before everybody else as well, why else would he have made such a remark about the suits? Bastard.

Ren eyed Melani as they entered the barracks, perhaps she could prescribe her something? Or at least tell her how to cope with it. She was supposed to be a medic after all, she should know this stuff. Right? Yeah, Ren would approach her when she was alone, no need to bring this up in front of the others. "Just hold it together for a while longer girl. Think of it as a challenge." A mindset that strangely enough worked. A little. But it was a start.

She stayed at the back of the group while the rooms were being divided. "Pssh, of course Ms. pretty Princess gets her own room. Just because she cant stand some standard military equipment." Ren thought with a small smile. When Ren got the news she was shacked up with Zahari, she gave the woman a small nod. She seemed okay enough. Though what ren really needed right now, was either a good round in the shooting range, a good nights sleep, or god forbid a good lay. God, when was this day going to end?
Mephobiac

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing