The Plummet Of Hinden - Out of Character - Sign-ups [Closed]

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: RP Mod Squad, Mod Squad

The Plummet Of Hinden - Out of Character - Sign-ups [Closed]

Postby BeeAre » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:41 pm

Aerah

The people of this quietly industrious planet have always discovered clever, yet minimalist, solutions to the most adverse problems. Therefore, when, sometime thousands of years ago, a terrible cataclysm occured on the surface world, the people of Aerah survived only by clinging to a chain of mountains that began to uproot and fly into the air. They soon left those anomalous havens and set out to rebuild their civilization.

Today, the pristine, floating clockworks are a testament to the Aeran and their careful intuition. The gigantic whirring gears, propellers, and steamstacks are kept in constant motion, and are under constant watch as they keep now great cities afloat.

The fringe town of Hinden is not a great city, however. It is a small islet built about two centuries ago on the foundation of a great drifting piece of a luftshroom stalk, the huge, wood-textured fungi that fill the sky as lush floating forests. Luftshroom have ever been the ally to the Aeran, as Luftshroom typically takes best root on prime specimens of Viator crystal.

Viator crystal is the lifeblood of the Aeran society. These shimmering shards begin their life on the blasted surface, naturally absorbing the lighter-than-air gases that seep up cracks in the smoking ground. They begin to rise almost immediately from the surface, filled with the compressed gas, continually absorbing it and coating it in the minute particles that waft up with it. Always the crystals are growing and absorbing these light gases, purifying the air as they go.

The practical upshoot of these crystals is that they burn a clean fuel, producing only a small amount of wasteful soot. Along with the tendency of luftshroom to grow on its surface, eating into it to use the gases as expansion for itself, and the natural contractions the crystals have in response to drops in air pressure (signalling a storm), the Aeran have lived only by carefully cultivating Viator to support themselves.

Hinden is one such farm town, primarily concerned with collecting crystals they themselves help grow. The town's massive propellers fight the eternal wind currents and keep it squared over regions emitting vast quantities of gas that will expand the Viator rapidly, in yearly-harvested crops. Of course, luftshroom forests grow unsurprisingly thick from the large amounts of crystal, and the wood and other products from the forests help day-to-day life needed on the main platform of the town.

The people of Hinden are simple folk, who go generation to generation teaching their children to carefully consider their options, as their parents and grandparents did. A cultural intuition, sudden little bursts of insight, more than tradition, are what fuel the minds and spirits of all Aeran.

Now, however, the peaceful life of Hinden is being disturbed by an untold calamity, which has not occured in living memory, and only rarely in written history. The town's leaders have convened on the issue, and determined that a request for aid must be sent to the Capitol City. As luck would have it, a group of young adults, all coming of age, are awaiting their final trials. Normally, each student is given a specific trial based on their concentration to determine what profession they will ultimately take on, but this desperate issue requires a specialized group of individuals, and there is no group more suited to the task than these young people, unique in talents but used to working together. After this, their last day as students, they will be called into the town hall, expecting their seperate assignments. Little do they know that they will be working together for some time still.

That last paragraph is the beginning of the story. Assorted information about the world:

Everyone who signs up is a part of this "crop" of students, graduating into their particular job.

Typical Aerans are tall, and lanky, and have ruddy, coppery skin complexions, with dark eyes and hair. It is uncommon, but not unheard of, to have paler skin and hair, that comes from an archaic bloodline. Note that I only want one person, if any to sign up with this pale complexion.

Clothing is made from the skin of ahrwals (huge stealth-bomber shaped jellyfish that fly), the moss that grows on them, fibers from the forests of the luftshrooms, and leather made from the tanned and softened carapace of kriffid (domesticated bovine-like crabs), and is very frontier-style.

Cultural intuition is the theme of the Aerans, and they run on being easygoing, but with sudden bursts of insight. They care very intensely about family and people, and only use the machines around them to go about their lives.

Speaking of the machines: the structure of the town platform is that of a huge amount of gears and whirligigs and propellers underneath a fully terraced, park-like top, with various huge machines jutting out here and there between the foliage, and houses of the platform inhabitants.

The buildings are all family owned, and are multi-tiered longhouses with a minimum of three floors. The standard house has: a first floor is the place of business for the owner, the second floor a combination porch and bath, and the third floor the living quarters. Each floor is only one room, with most of the utensils along the walls about an vast, multipurpose middle area. Winding staircases on the outside of the houses are covered in wind-manipulating tools, and these staircases are the only ways up.

Larger families build additions to great complexes vertically (up or down, depending on how close to the edge they are), but it is not strange for smaller families to own the houses independently.

Hinden is built structured around the machinery that was originally used for its manual control, a smaller portion to the platform that has no terracing, and is just machinery. The original additions for homes were built upon huge luftshroom planks, and from there, the platform has expanded. From the original center, there is the town hall, and out from that, the mechanics' clan building, and then a wide space of terraced land for cropland (mostly fruit orchards and grazing territory for kriffids to produce their dew) and houses for the various farming families on the edge of the platform.

You guys' characters are from these families.

Your sign-up is a post explaining your character, in-character, in the world. Like, the beginning of their typical day.

In this introduction post, be sure to go into detail about your character's opinions, looks, clothing, likes, dislikes, their surroundings (how it relates to them as a person). All the things they are before the adventure. The point of this is to get the need to describe how awesome your character looks out of your system, so we might focus on the emotions, actions, and reactions of the character in subsequent posts as they change from their experiences in the story. This is called character development. I like it. c:

This intro post is set just before the beginning of the story, so it won't have a bearing on what your character is doing the day of the town meeting!

You have one character, their exact age doesn't matter, as for the most part, you'll all be 18-24.

PM me if you have questions surrounding the details of your sign-up, cultural inquiries, etc. Most of ya details won't be too off-world, I figure.

Stipulation: no super-geniuses constructing super technology, please. If you were that character, you'd be able to figure out the problem and there would BE NO STORY. The occasional nerd good at the basics of their craft above the norm is okay.

Keep your characters and skills diverse! Ensemble! Ensemble!

Also, BEFORE YOU SIGN UP, if you have some serious chutzpah, and pizazz, BEFORE YOU SIGN UP, PM me if you want to be the in-game character moderator, BEFORE SIGN-UP, because you have to have some specific qualities to your character. Less choice in who your character is, more power. Thems the trade-off.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Re: The Plummet Of Hinden - Out of Character - Sign-ups [Open]

Postby Hana » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:43 pm

Do you have any sort of stipulations for acceptance? A sheet or summat?

If not...can I tentatively call being the pale person?
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby BeeAre » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:46 pm

Hana wrote:Do you have any sort of stipulations for acceptance? A sheet or summat?

If not...can I tentatively call being the pale person?

Your third question first: You're here first, you have tentative dibs, I figure.

First two questions: Uh-whut? My expectations are pretty general RP rules: mistakes are not a huge deal, just to be corrected, conscious efforts at grammar and spelling, reasonable criticism in this thread, no God-Moding, all actions to be directed towards people's characters so as to make the allowance for their reactions. What do you mean a sheet? We don't have, strictly speaking, stats.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
BR

Postby sam4books » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:47 pm

She's talking about character sheets. Like descriptions, age and personality all in a big list so to speak.

Not that it matters anyways :3

Hope you don't mind if my character is based on real life, since I seem to be edging that way anyways.
Musicmac: "Sam4Books: Always ready to cheer things up with awesome art. Terms and Conditions apply."
In passing

Postby BeeAre » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:00 pm

sam4books wrote:She's talking about character sheets.

Not that it matters anyways :3

Hope you don't mind if my character is based on real life, since I seem to be edging that way anyways.

as long as this basis in real life can properly analog into a MYSTICAL TECHNOCRATIC FRONTIER AIR WORLD, you're fine.

for the purposes of this thread, I won't mind some experimentation with posts done with a simple structure of notation, to separate the in-world sign-ups with our out of context forum discussions.

let's say, like so:

-

The sun rose.

-

something like that, or if you want to use colors (condition being not eye destroying) that is fine too.

if we are trying to LIST attributes, that's something from which i want to distance our content.

I'd rather like an emphasis on reading comprehension even in the sign-ups.

here is an example of a sign-up.

-

Hylen adjusted the seat's straps in an offhanded gesture, a motion he had gone through hundreds of times without even noticing it. The chitinous leather of his gloves matched the rest of his flight suit, a thicker, warmer version of the most common styles of dress found in smaller villages. The beige moss that grew on the back of the great wind-riding ahrwals made better insulation than any other natural source, and the material made the leather flighsuit snug and comfortable. His inky hair was pulled back in a ponytail that began nearly at the top of his head, extending to his shoulders in an oddly stiff manner. Too short for this collection, his bangs framed a rather noble, bronzed face. The training he had undergone, and continued to keep up on, to join the ranks he belonged to, ensured that he remained lean and strong-looking, though it had been some time since he first underwent his trials.

In fact, though he was almost ashamed to admit his boyish excitement that kept him counting, he knew that this was his thousandth flight. Since he had come of age, he had been in a co-pilot's or pilot's seat as often as he could get away with. He had always admired the sky pilots, the ever important guardians, messangers, and general masters of the airways between Aerah's great cities. They were the ones to ferry important doccuments and personell to where they were needed; they defended the skies from those bad eggs that sought to further their own gain by poaching on the defenseless cargo that others selflessly gathered in a community effort to sustain an ever-growing population.

Now it was he that protected the culture he knew, the people he loved. He that heralded good news and cutting-edge research in the form of the pamphlets that the machinist clans were so fond of printing. Yet now, with this responsibility on his shoulders, all he could really think about was how bored he was. It was true, his vocation was among the most necessary, and in many people's eyes there were but a select few that were called to that most noble profession. But here was an ornate handaxe at his hip that was ornamentation more than necessity due to the ridiculously low crime rate. Behind him lay square meters of compartment space collecting dust, as no important packages larger than a parcel of papers ever needed delivering these days. He joined the sky pilots in order to keep safe the way of life he knew. How ironic that in so doing, he seperated himself from it completely and, succeeding greatly along with his compatriots, essentially put himself out of the job.

He signed up to fight an ongoing struggle against anihilation, but society was simply too stable for that to be a threat. He sighed as he clicked on the echomitter, barking out his identity and business as fast as he could.

-

edit: to help with profession choices, a sample list! This will help us with diversity of jobs.

Tinkerer/Inventor, Pilot, Cloud-Skiff Runner (This job is maintaining a floating cloud collector for water), Cultivator (manages the growth of Viator crystal), Rancher (handles farming on the platform), Smith (metal worker, receives metal as impurities in water and crystal, as well as metal from imports coming into the town), Forester/Forager (goes out onto floating luftshroom forests to gather wood and other forest-based supplies)

that's pretty stable as a list goes, so again, any questions, career ideas, PM me for more information.
BR

Postby Hana » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Hm. This genre might not be so suitable for me. I'm not exactly familiar with what kind of technology or terminology for the technology you might want us to be using. Is there any sort of reference material, or is this all made up off the fly?
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby BeeAre » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Hana wrote:Hm. This genre might not be so suitable for me. I'm not exactly familiar with what kind of technology or terminology for the technology you might want us to be using. Is there any sort of reference material, or is this all made up off the fly?

It's made up, and it isn't important that you know anything about the technology. I would in fact love a character either uncomfortable or outright abhorrent with technology, because it would suit the story quite spectacularly.

The important thing to understand here is the progressive nature of the necessary improvisation for this RP: I promise you that I will accept most things that you make up as God's Word Canon, and correct in a minimalist way things that do not fit.
BR

Postby dragoonofdeath » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:17 pm

BeeAre wrote:
Hana wrote:Hm. This genre might not be so suitable for me. I'm not exactly familiar with what kind of technology or terminology for the technology you might want us to be using. Is there any sort of reference material, or is this all made up off the fly?

It's made up, and it isn't important that you know anything about the technology. I would in fact love a character either uncomfortable or outright abhorrent with technology, because it would suit the story quite spectacularly.

I'm interested in this RP, and if it's ok, would like to call dibs on this guy. I'll get crackin on a character.
PONIES, PONIES EVERYWHERE
Blood Lord wrote:
dragoonofdeath wrote:Am I the only one here thats not a grammar nazi?

Only when you log on.

Postby Tuor » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:20 pm

You want us to join the group in character then.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Hana » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:40 pm

Telai breathed in. The air at this altitude was weak, but was so cold that it stung. It stung like a skinning knife in that the pain was not immediate. The frigid air stole the warmth from her lungs, and as she exhaled a visible cloud of breath-steam and her body began to re-warm her lungs, she felt the stab of pain, but ignored it.

She shifted her grip on her glider and threw her weight forward, canting the graceful contraption forward into a dive. As much as she wished she could stay on the wind forever, she had chores to finish. If she shirked her responsibility, people would want for lunch and eventually clothing. Her chores were important, and it was her responsibility to help provide for the community. Soon, she would have her trails, and then she would probably have even more responsibility. Her mother often remarked how her talents would make her a prize wife for some lucky boy in the town.

A deft movement brought the body of the glider up again before she crashed into the small clearing, her feet skidding along the mossy ground as she angled the delicate structure so that it drug against the air, rather than slicing through it. The pull against the wind slowed her, until she was no longer skidding, but stepping and supporting the weight of her contraption, rather than the other way around.

She took a moment to set her glider down, carefully folding the thin jointed and leather-covered wings into the slightly thicker body before standing straight and swinging the now-compact glider onto her back, securing it to her person with a strap as she started down the path toward her family's small home.

She reached a hand up, pushing her goggles up to her forehead to expose her nearly-black eyes, seemingly darker for the contrast to her creamy pale skin and blond hair that she revealed when she tugged her moss-rimmed hood back to reveal her face. She looked as delicate as her glider, wisps of hair escaping from her carefully-constructed french braid. Her sweetheart face was a mask of calm, eyes staring forward along her way. Her peripheral vision and hearing were good enough to catch any tricksters that might be trying to sneak up on her. There was the occasional episode of mischief directed at her because of her strange coloring and her halcyon demeanor. It was never so malicious that she couldn't brush it off, though. In time, they would realize that she was just like them, even if she looked and acted a bit different.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Mathias » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:44 pm

Some people will feel the need to have a character sheet, even if it isn't mandatory. They can't seem to rp without one.

Postby dragoonofdeath » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:08 am

Mathias wrote:Some people will feel the need to have a character sheet, even if it isn't mandatory. They can't seem to rp without one.

I can RP without one, I just like to know who all the other characters are.
Blood Lord wrote:

Only when you log on.

Postby Belwicket » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:23 am

What are the limits on prosthetics? Maximum number of limbs? Weapons hidden in them?
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby dragoonofdeath » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:28 pm

Trekkor looked around the large workshop, picking up the supply crate of metal lying near the door. He felt so out of place working on the various contraptions that surrounded him day by day, never fully understanding how to operate more than the basics. It was his job to make them, not operate them, he always told himself as he scratched at his newly grown beard. He stepped over to the metal forge, slipping on his safety mask and prepping it for operation. The familiar and welcome feeling of warmth washed over him, making him smile with glee as the flames danced in his dark blue eyes, playing shadows off the walls of the otherwise dimly lit building.

He smiled at the various chunks of imported metal as they began to slowly melt, dripping into the mold below. He pulled a lever, sending the mold on a slow conveyor belt where the metal was cooled, and waited patiently to be pried from its mold. He continued this method until the box was empty, a small frown playing across his dark face. He always ran out of metal to quickly, he thought as he began prying the iron contraptions he had forged from their molds, placing them gently on the stone table, inspecting his work. The various strands of iron stuck out at odd angles, forming gears and other strange objects that he would never understand the use of. He removed the work mask, satisfied with his work, lifting the various contraptions and carrying them over to various boxes, labeled with destinations where they would be shipped later that day.

Trekkor stepped back over to the forge, shutting the operation down. T’was a short day of work, with very little ordered. IT was rare anymore for him to have a day off, let alone a day off to himself. He was going to try and enjoy himself away from the forge, a feeling of doubt rising from his gut. He could already tell he was going to do something stupid or awkward, he just didn’t know what.
Blood Lord wrote:

Only when you log on.

Postby BeeAre » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:15 pm

My_Little_Sister wrote:What are the limits on prosthetics? Maximum number of limbs? Weapons hidden in them?

reminder, you are a young adult: your backstory would have to be rather specific and outlandishly tragic to achieve multiple organ failures/limb amputations and THEN to further WEAPONIZE them.

that's very goofy.

btw: Our first two sign-ups are gorgeous and exemplary~ *_*
BR

Postby Mathias » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:38 pm

BeeAre wrote:multiple organ

I almost read this as "multiple orgasms."

Postby dragoonofdeath » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:24 pm

BeeAre wrote:reminder, you are a young adult

Good thing I didn't make mine the way I was originally going to. Off the wall, as a pet-project, i'm going to attempt to draw some of the stuff from this RP. I need the practice.
Blood Lord wrote:

Only when you log on.

Postby Asmodai » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:42 pm

Could I make a sheriff? Or perhaps the daughter of the sheriff (or whatever law enforcement there is, but a sheriff somehow sounds very appropriate)

I wanna make a character like this
I will rule with a iron fist! I mean, help protect the safety of the community/group
Mephobiac

Postby BeeAre » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:15 am

Asmodai wrote:Could I make a sheriff? Or perhaps the daughter of the sheriff (or whatever law enforcement there is, but a sheriff somehow sounds very appropriate)

I wanna make a character like this
I will rule with a iron fist! I mean, help protect the safety of the community/group

sure, you can be a daughter of law enforcement. There is a Sheriff of sorts, with a small token militia, but generally speaking, the problems you might have are bandit problems, the occasional technology-shunned Jashek Tribe member, a long exiled group of nomads!

In my PMs, of which I am glad to have quite a few, the subjects of wind and materials have come up, and I feel it is important enough to note here! The wind is always super high in this world, so there are buttresses and blockades that block wind currents in areas that do not have their currents dampened by the huge whirligigs keeping the town running. The high wind also allows for a competent boarder to windsurf rather effortlessly with a simple sail glide fairly indefinitely.

These extremely flexible sails are made from either thin Ahrwal moss (it grows on the backs of these gentle silent huge jellyfish), Luftshroom stem interior fibers, or even a sort of thin leather made from Kriffid Chitin (the big crabcows :D), with a descending order of strength and cost. Of the two types of moss, Luftshroom top moss is thicker and used more for fodder/hay, and Ahrwal moss, which is stronger but lighter and much more valuable as a fabric.

Ahrwals themselves are hunted rarely and with strict regulation, as one's jelly can last a decade if properly managed, used as a base in a lot of mechanical lubricants and greases. Like whale blubber.

Kriffids are the beast of burden on the ranch. These big cow crabs eat the moss on top of luftshrooms, and the parasitic moss absorbs some of the lighter than air gases, so in turn, the kriffids also become lighter than air. Feral and wild kriffids need this, taking long graceful leaps from top to top (and when i mean long, i mean like, days long jumps, slow-motion hulk style), but domesticated Kriffids have mechanical valves plugged right into their shells to vent the lighter than air gas, to control their speed and altitude and keep them in the town's fields.

Kriffids make large huffing sounds: "BROOOM". They're cool.

Real trees are considered pretty spiritual sacred things, only being on the floating mountains naturally, so when real soil is gathered up from the kriffids, a park is a wonderful thing to have, and is the standard measurement of a city's prosperity: if you have the time and money to grow trees, your town is well off. Hinden has a pretty small park, but the city counsel will insist of course that it is growing!

yay

oh here are the pictures i've got

a kriffid!

a smaller personal cloud skiff, not a big one, but not a tiny windsurfing thing either.

the ahrwals.

bonus adorable kriffid saying BROOM

don't ya just want to ride on a floating crab cow? look at its face; it loves you and loves to BROoOOoOm all day
BR

Postby Mathias » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:00 am

That kriffid is also farting in pleasure.

Postby BeeAre » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:44 pm

Mathias wrote:That kriffid is also farting in pleasure.

Yes, expelling lighter than air gases so as not to float away. frt~ hooray
BR

Postby Fummoffu » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Hana, may I draw your character?
"Haha"
Buy Gold
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Belwicket » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:31 am

BeeAre wrote:
My_Little_Sister wrote:What are the limits on prosthetics? Maximum number of limbs? Weapons hidden in them?

reminder, you are a young adult: your backstory would have to be rather specific and outlandishly tragic to achieve multiple organ failures/limb amputations and THEN to further WEAPONIZE them.

that's very goofy.

Such as getting them cut off by mass murderer or eaten off by a monster of some sort?
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Hana » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:51 am

Fummofu wrote:Hana, may I draw your character?

I would be honored!
Is there enough description there, or will you need me to clarify anything?
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Fummoffu » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:36 am

Colours. That's all. Clothes etc.
Is the glider like Aang's from Avatar?
"Haha"
Buy Gold
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Next

Return to Role Playing