D&D3.5: Etrian Odyssey - Via RPTools (5PC's/Full)

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

D&D3.5: Etrian Odyssey - Via RPTools (5PC's/Full)

Postby Jay » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:57 am

So, why are you special Jay? Why do you get to post an RP OOC without submitting to the Ideas Thread?
There's really no good reason for this, other than that this is actually a personal campaign, and I just figured a thread on Snafu would be the most convenient place to put and centralize all the information like rules being used, links, tutorials, and most importantly, character sheets.
Not to mention, I kinda scouted 5 people for the game already (all who theoretically plan to participate, as far as I know): Cascade, Deena, LivingCouch, Glahardt, and Berry-tan. Should be good enough, right?
I will note now that though it's just the 5PC's only, I'm open to other people coming in and watching the game if they feel like. I have it set up to have strict token ownership anyways, so it'd be fairly straightforward to have some observers.

So, what's this game, eh?
I've been playing a lot of table top recently, and it made me feel like playing it with some people on Snafu. That's basically it. Initially, I wanted to do so without expending too much effort, but the entire project kind of blew out of proportions. But initially, I chose Etrian Odyssey (the DS Wizardry-style dungeon crawler) because it has a large set of prebuilt dungeon floor plans I can use, because I am a fan of the series, and because a lot of the information regarding it is really well documented (there's a pack I found that described what enemy groups were encountered on each tiles, in what frequency, the AI protocol for each enemy depending on conditions, the probability of an encounter in every tile, etc).
The game will probably run on Saturday nights. More often, if it works for other people's schedules.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

One day, in the small, isolated town of Etria, an underground forest was discovered.
The Radha, governors of Etria, issued a proclamation throughout the continent...
Any able-bodied adventurer was invited to investigate the forest and explore its depths.
But no matter how many came to investigate the dungeon, none gained the renown they sought.
As more adventurers tried and failed to conquer it, it came to be known by a new name...
The Yggdrasil Labyrinth.

You are the latest adventurer to journey ot Etria in response to the Radha's proclamation.
You have but one goal: explore the forest to win fame and fortune. Etria is at hand...

You are one of a small group of adventuring hopefuls who have decided to start a new explorer's guild, with the idea of taking advantage of the fact that, while there are many wanting adventurers, most other guilds refuse to take in newcomers. You will attempt to lead your fledgling guild to discover the secret of the Yggdrasil Labyrinth.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

The RP will be done over MapTool by RPTools (specifically version 1.3.b.63). Additionally, I have a modified DnD3.5 System Framework installed, so there's a great variety of colourful buttons to press to have things automatically get done.
The software requires at least Java 1.5 (Java 5) to be installed. It can be launched either straight from the website (which requires some tinkering to work for this campaign) or by downloading it. Neither method requires actually installing anything. How to use the software will be discussed in detail later on.

In terms of mechanics, I'll be using a modified version of the DnD3.5 system. I'll be using some variant rules from Unearthed Arcana, and using a few 3rd edition rules in place of 3.5 ones (the rules for the Haste spell, is a particular example).

Important: This is a Humans only campaign. I will house rule a bit so that you can make your characters a bit different from one another, but the restriction is plot related (Humans are basically the best race anyways).

I realize a couple of you are not really familiar with making characters, so feel free to contact me by AIM or MSN for help.

A good resource for the basic rules in DnD 3.5 is the SRD, available free: http://www.d20srd.org/
Additionally, the Unearthed Arcana Variant rules that I'll be using are also available. The ones that I've tentatively decided to utilize are the following:
Bell Curve Rolls (Roll 3d8 instead of d20, and some other minor adjustments)
Combat Facing (Which direction your character faces is important)
Weapon Group Feats (You choose a few weapon types to specialize in rather than the usual Simple/Martial/Exotic split. This means it'll be easier for you to get access to exotic weapons of your weapon type)

I may also use Reserve Points if I feel the party's needing to rest too quickly.

As for books I'm using, I'm really open to basically anything officially published by WotC (no 3rd party content or Dragon Magazine). However, I may veto certain things on a case-by-case basis. In all likelihood, I'll even accept things like Regional Feats from the Forgotten Realms books.
However, I do recommend sticking mainly the core PHB stuff, the Complete series (Complete Adventurer, Complete Warrior, Complete Scoundrel, Complete Arcane, etc.), and Spell Compendium. Additionally, for this campaign, both Dungeonscape and Races of the Wild should be useful (as the campaign takes place mostly inside a dungeon made out of natural environments).

I discourage using the Book of Exalted Deeds or the Book of Vile Darkness, as this campaign won't be dealing with Good vs. Evil themes.

WIP: MapTool tutorial, Other Misc.
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Re: D&D3.5: Etrian Odyssey - Via RPTools (5PC's/Full)

Postby Jay » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:59 am

Character Creation Guide:

1. We start at level one. Pick a name and gender.

2. Roll for attributes. The precise method we're using is 7 sets of 4d6 drop lowest. Then we drop the lowest set of the 7, and the six remaining are the stats you can distribute. You're not entitled to a reroll, but if your base rolls are worth lower than Point Buy 40 (http://www.hackslash.net/?p=73) I'll personally edit the stats up to Point Buy 40 for you after you've completely finished the character (I personally do it, just to keep it at least vaguely fair for the people who rolled up on their own).
    For information on what each stat (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma) do and are responsible for: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilityScores
    Please roll through Invisible Castle. Your roll should look like this: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2387130/
    Make sure you enter the full name of your character (so I can confirm some sort of authenticity to the roll). If the name's perhaps a somewhat common one, just add "::EtrianOdysseySnafu" at the end. Your screen should look something like this before you press the roll button: http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/3668/scren.png
    I'm more than happy to give suggestions on which attributes to prioritize if you tell me the sort of character you want to make.

3. Race: This RP will be a human campaign for story related reasons. However, this RP will have a few variations on the Human Race in light of certain additions for this game (and so you can still have a slight feel that characters are varied, by at least cultural backgrounds or climates).
    • Racial Modifiers: Humans are a diverse race. As there are no other races in this game, to allow you a bit more customization, you may decrease any one attribute score by 1, and increase another by 1. This is permanent, optional, and does not count towards your Point Buy total when I calculate it. For that reason, please point out where exactly you deducted 1 and added 1.
    • Size: Medium
    • Base Land Speed: 30 feet
    • 1 extra feat (bonus) at first level.
    • 8 extra skill points at first level and 2 extra skill points every level afterwards.
    • Languages: Common. If you qualify for any other extra languages (or buy them through skill points) do note that most racial languages do not exist (no Elven, Dwarven, etc.) as the Human race knows of no such races. However, technical languages and planar languages such as Draconic (for Arcane Magic users) or Ignan/Auran/Aquan/Terran (Elemental Languages) are available. Religious characters may know Celestial, Infernal, or Abyssal too. For the typical list of languages: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/speakLanguage.htm
    • Favored Class: Any. This probably holds no meaning unless you plan to multiclass a lot, and you're unlikely to do this unless you know what it means. Simply said, multiclassing too much causes an XP penalty. Humans ignore their highest level class when calculating whether they get an XP penalty.

4. Classes: I'm actually quite open to a fairly large combination of classes as long as they're at least sort of consistent with the setting. But, for people who have no ideas, I have a list of classes that fit in well with Etrian Odyssey. I also make a few prestige class suggestions. They're basically class levels you take later on to complement your character, and specify them into a more specific niche for greater flavour or better ability. Don't worry too much about these for now, as you're all first level. If you lack any of the books I suggest, just ask and I can give you the relevant information.
    The flavour suggestions are based on the classes from Etrian Odyssey 2 (though the game is based on EOI): http://www.atlus.com/etrian2/
    Skip the Intro and click "Characters".
    • Image Landsknecht: A front row warrior whose role is to do large, physical damage. Classes that emulate this well include the Fighter (overall aesthetic and style), Barbarian (their War Cry ability is similar to the rage ability), or perhaps the Swashbuckler from Complete Warrior. They kind of represent different ways of being a front line combatant, with the fighter being more generic (but potentially just doing w/e you want, since it's just a chunk of bonus feats), while the Barbarian is as it sounds, focusing on its ability to lower defense for damage, while the Swashbuckler is an agile fighter. Alternatively, playing the Ranger or Scout at melee range works well enough too. Lots of potential prestige classes, honestly. Finally, the Warblade class from Tome of Battle might be worth consideration, but the Maneuver and Stance system might be a bit daunting. Warblades make use of special attack which can be quite flashy and have various effects.
    • Image Survivalist: The two most obvious choices are the Ranger and the Scout (from Complete Adventurer). Both work quite fine, though Rangers can cast spells, which does not really fit. You can take the Ranger without spellcasting variant from Complete Warrior though. Additionally, I recommend taking the "Distracting Attack" alternative class feature from PHB2. It replaces your animal companion (which doesn't fit flavor in the first place). Distracting Attack won't work the same as described (since we are using battle facing). Instead, it gives you the ability to make enemies that you hit and do damage to turn to face you (immediately). Additionally, their flanks count as their rear too, until your next turn. The scout is basically a direct conversion that works really well. Not many other choices, really.
    • Image Protector: The Knight from PHB2 is likely the best option, as it has class features that allow it to draw aggro and help protect its allies. Alternatively, the Paladin (original name of the Protector) is a possible choice too, also being armored and additionally, can cast some light healing spells, similar to the Protector. However, Paladins can't do much of anything to protect allies or draw aggro other than running up first. Their Smite Evil class feature is unlikely to be too useful either, in this campaign, as most creatures are unintelligent and thus have no moral alignment. The Dwarven Defender is a prestige class you may want to look into. It requires you to be a dwarf, but it's a totally retarded requirement so I chuck it. It gives you some abilities that let you be all YEAH IMMA TAKE HITS. A final option is the Crusader from the Tome of Battle. They have ridiculous ability to suck up damage (they delay the effect of damage for a turn) and they get random abilities chosen from maneuver lists to make them stronger. A great option if you want something really hard to kill, but also can do some cool stuff.
    • Image Dark Hunter: All-in-all, the Rogue is probably the way to go. There are some other possible options though, such as the Beguiler from PHB2. Might wanna take a peek at the Spellthief class, but it's not that great and doesn't fit all that well. The swashbuckler is also an option, being an agile fighter. Finally, one might also go for Swordsage from the Tome of Battle. Like the Crusader and Warblade, they draw abilities from maneuvers, where Swordsages gain access to a very large list. Selecting particular ones, you can make a really agile striker with some dirty tricks to cause ability damage or do shadow-y things and such.
    • Image Medic: Personally, I feel that the Healer class from the Miniatures handbook is the best choice. Clerics are an option too, but they do significantly more things than just heal, and the healer is an outrageously powerful healer (but more fragile than the cleric). Flavourwise, there's nothing else that really compares. The Combat Medic Prestige Class from Heroes of Battle would make an excellent addition for a Medic character also.
    • Image Alchemist: Basically any Arcane Magic casting class (except the Bard and the ones that can fight okay) fit this really well. Sorcs and Wizards are straight forward blasters if you want them to be. For more elemental flavoured options though, there's the Yu Jen (which are kind of lame, faux-Asian-flavoured Sorcs), or you can take the Elemental Savant prestige class, but that traps you into a specific element. Warlocks from Complete Arcane are a decent choice here too. The trick is to choose all the invocations that make you more of a blaster (raise damage and stuff). Finally, you can still consider the Artificers too. They aren't exactly striker-style casters, but they specialize in creating magic items, and are arguably the closest thing to actual "Alchemists". Finally the "Warmage" class from Complete Arcane actually makes a better Alchemist than a Warmage. They are basically Sorcs, but restricted to blaster spells.
    • Image Troubadour: Bard. Pretty much it. You could take the Warchanter Prestige class from Complete Warrior too. Basically the most straightforward conversion.
    • Image Ronin: There's a lot of weeaboo stuff in DnD, though a lot of it is badly designed. There is a Samurai class available in both Complete Warriors and the 3E book Oriental Adventures. The latter's basically better in all ways, lol.
    • Image Hexer: Unfortunately, debuffing classes are not that common in DnD. However, most arcane spell casters (e.g. Wizards and Sorcerors) have such spells in their spell lists (such as Ray of Stupidity, Ray of Enfeeblement, etc.). An OK option is the Warlock class from Complete Arcane, where you would choose the invocations that either cause status effects or ability damage. That's probably the closest thing one could get to the Hexer. Ostensibly, you could use the Hexblade too, who're able to put curses on their enemies. However, they are able to fight front line well, so that does not fit too well. Finally, you could consider Shadowcasters from the Tome of Magic. Choosing the debuffing and status effect-type mysteries, it could work out well and fit pretty neatly with the flavour. Finally, consider the Truenamer class, also from the Tome of Magic. Mainly cause they're cool, but also cause they learn "true names" of stuff to cause effects on them... sort of Hex-ish?
    • Image Gunner: Guns are terrible in DnD, honestly. I don't really have any suggestions how to do a Gunner.
    • Image Warmage: They are a sort of paradoxical existence, in my eyes. They cast mostly buff spells and healing spells, and are somewhat shaman flavoured. A really great class to consider for them is the Spirit Shaman from Complete Divine. The Favored Soul from Complete Divine is also an OK choice, but not as good. A final, perhaps strange suggestion from me, is the Artificer class from the Eberron books. It's not exactly spot on flavour-wise, but they basically infuse equipment with qualities each day and such. They're yet another class mainly able to buff and heal, while being okay at fighting too. Clerics might be a possible choice, but they're too good at wearing heavy armor to really fit completely. One might be tempted to use the Warmage class from Complete Arcane, but that class is more for attack spells than support, though they do fit the bill being able to fight too, along with spell casting.
    • Image Beast: No.

5. Skills: Depending on your class, you'll be given a certain amount of skill points to spend on skills. Each class has a list of skills it has a class skill, while the rest are cross class. It takes one point to buy a rank in a class skill, two points for one in a cross skill. The maximum amount of ranks you can have in a class skill is your level + 3 (so at level 1, it's 4). For cross-class skills, it's half of that number.
    For this RP, there will be 3 additional Skills. Whether it's a class skill or a cross class skill for your character depends on your class (I'll just tell you if you tell me what class you are).
    • Profession (logging): Learn how to harvest valuable lumber and materials from trees. Requires that you have a handaxe to perform.
    • Profession (mining): Learn how to harvest valuable minerals and materials from ores. Requires that you have a pickaxe to perform.
    • Profession (gathering): Learn how to harvest valuable herbs and materials from herb and flower fields. Requires that you have mundane pouches or bags to carry and organize them separately to preserve their potency and quality.
    All three skills are usable at certain points in the Yggdrasil Labyrinth (I'll tell you so when you enter such an area). The function of them are like any profession skill: to generate money (gp). However, these skills are suited specifically for the setting, and the amount of money you can make off of this skill rapidly increases as you put ranks into it and as you go up floors. They are all usable only once per day, per different skill, per character.

6. Feats: They're these things you take to give your character certain abilities or perks. Unless otherwise said, there's no limit to how much you can use them, and they're inherent abilities in you, not magical. You, as humans, receive two feats at level 1. After that, you get one at level 3, and then every multiple of 3 after that. I can definitely give recommendations for feats worth taking, especially for beginners.
    Important note: I have a house rule regarding two feats, Dodge and Weapon Finesse. First, Dodge is replaced with Dextrous Dodge (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dexterous_ ... 5e_Feat%29).
    As for Weapon Finesse, its ability is now optionally inherent. Upon creation, decide whether your character's training with weapons and fighting focuses on the brute side of things or the finesse side of things. For the former, you will be able to add your STR Mod to your attack rolls (as is normal in the rules), while the latter you add your DEX Mod to your attack rolls (as per Weapon Finesse). You cannot apply STR Bonus to light weapons, while DEX bonus cannot normally be applied to two-handed weapons. One-handed weapons can be used by either, while ranged weapons still work off DEX no matter what.
    Finally, if you wish to be able to utilize both forms, you make take a feat for the other type. Weapon Finesse can be taken by those who use a Brute fighting style, while the new feat Weapon Brute can be taken by those who first choose the Agile path.
    Weapon Brute [General]
    Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +1, picked Agile Style
    Benefit: With a one-handed or two handed weapon made for a creature of your size category, you may use your Strength modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier on attack rolls. If you carry a shield, its armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls.
    Special: A fighter may select Weapon Brute as one of his fighter bonus feats.
    This feat can always be applied to natural weapons.

Weapon Finesse [General]
    Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +1, picked Brute Style
    Benefit: With a light weapon, one-handed weapon, whip, or spiked chain made for a creature of your size category, you may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls. If you carry a shield, its armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls.
    Special: A fighter may select Weapon Finesse as one of his fighter bonus feats.
    This feat can always be applied to natural weapons.

7. The rest: Honestly, we can just deal with that one on one, What's left is mostly personal details, though there's also equipment, which I can give advice on. The party will start with 225gp each, or 900gp in total for the entire party.

Did I forget anything? lol

Reserved in case I need it.

Postby Jay » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:00 am

Postby Deena » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:04 am

Funk yeah!:D Now to decide what class I want to be. Protip: It'll probably involve fire.

Postby Glahardt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:07 am

I call Ronin! :D
Deena wrote:Funk yeah!:D Now to decide what class I want to be. Protip: It'll probably involve fire.
o3o

Postby Jay » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:16 am

Oh, and druids might be THE BANNED, cause they'd just be way too OP in this campaign. xD

But yeah, I'll even accepted the classes from the Miniature's Handbook (Healers, Warmages, and Marshalls!).

And lol, I think Cas has already designed this multiclassed monstrosity that's Ronin themed.

Postby Glahardt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:33 am

D:
Well then I call Paladin!
Again. o3o

Postby Jay » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:42 am

Probably fine.

I dunno how much evil there'll be to smite though.... xD A plain old Fighter might work better, but *shrug*.

Postby Glahardt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:59 am

Postby Berry-tan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:04 am

I'll probably go for a rogue. :3

Postby Cascade » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:49 pm

Paladin

... Good luck Glah. XD

Sorry for taking your Ronin, but I just couldn't resist. Though I doubt the character will play much like the Ronin at all.

In other news, I sure hope the remaining two characters are like, a wizard and a cleric, or druid and cleric.
FUKKATSU

Postby Glahardt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:45 pm

Why?
Paladin in 3.5 sucks? D:

Postby lyca » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:33 pm

I see what you did here Jay. I'd like to get a hand in on this, and I'ma think up some cool schtuff at work and then check with you sometime tomorrow. ^. .^
Stuck in the see-through zone.

Postby Soul » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:43 pm

Damn, it was full before I could even get on the forums today...

Postby Jay » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:14 pm

lol, sorry guys.

Thankfully, due to how it's set up, I can basically fit a new person in at any time if someone drops out. I'll put you on a wait list or something like that. xD

And lol, well, Paladins can get decent saves with high CHA, and can wear fullplate and use shields, so they can be pretty tough.

Flavourwise, a Knight from PHB2 might fit the Protector/Paladin from Etrian Odyssey more, since it has class abilities for making the enemy attack you, and protecting allies.

Either way, you'll probably want to take feats that let you shield bash and throw your shield for attacks. xD

Postby Glahardt » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:12 am

Well either way I'll wait till character creation. Healing sounds good, though.

Postby lyca » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:41 am

Hah, sorry I missed the five person part, I was in a hurry @. .@. But thanks! I'll get familiar with the system in case someone needs a break or can't show up.
Stuck in the see-through zone.

Postby Jay » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:23 am

Oh, I just remembered I'm totally using Weapon Group Feats too.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/build ... pFeats.htm

It's listed in my list of variants being used now. Gives easier access to exotic weapons, but the weapons you have access to are more stringent, which fits in with the whole Etrian Odyssey thing better, since most classes were restricted to only a few weapon types anyways (rather than YOU CAN USE A LONG BOW, THUS YOU ARE ABLE TO USE A LONGSWORD AND GREATAXE).

Postby Soul » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:50 pm

If you wanna play something you should play a monk. >.>

Then get the Dragon Disciple prestige class <.<

Postby Jay » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:00 pm

lol, you can basically get away with making any class (and have them be really strong) with enough obscure feats and prestige classes.

It's just some classes don't need it.

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:40 pm

If there will be a waiting list, I'd like to get on it.

Might watch sometime. I do like DnD.
For the Greater Good

Postby Cascade » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:29 am

lol, I made a character sheet for this already a while back. Thought I'd share it, lol
Being a flavorfag, it's not the best sheet to look at in terms of figuring out how to make one.
However, the website is a good place to store sheets.
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=180565
FUKKATSU

Postby Jay » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:04 am

The character creation guide is basically done. Sorta.

There are a handful of house rules, so even for experienced players, please skim it a bit.

Next

Return to Role Playing