Karasu no Naku Koro ni | OOC | Closed; SEND IN BACKGROUNDS

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Karasu no Naku Koro ni | OOC | Closed; SEND IN BACKGROUNDS

Postby Berry-tan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:17 pm

---------------------------------
Karasu no Naku Koro ni
---------------------------------

The Beaumont Estate was rumored to be abandoned for decades upon decades. Twenty years ago, the secluded European mansion surrounded by forests and snow became occupied, though the only evidence of this was the occasional request to the small town of Fontaine several kilometers away, the closest hint of society outside of the estate. Rare were visitors, as the mansion was self-sufficient for the most part. Today was different. For the first time in a countless number of decades, a stream of visitors arrived, some separately, some together, passing through the small town and taking heed of the gossip at the local town when they inevitably asked for directions. The local townsfolk, should the visitors listen to their warnings, would describe a chilling curse affecting the depths of the forest. When the crows cry, all who enter become tainted by the spirits that lurk within...

-------------------
Introduction
-------------------

In December 1982 several people are invited to visit the Beaumont Estate. Everyone is connected by the elderly woman who twenty years earlier ran the orphanage they were raised in before the tragic death of a child made her close its doors permanently. The estate is closed off from civilization by forest, bad roads and a snow storm arrives on the heels of the visitors, cutting them off from rest of the world. Things seem to be going fine until the old woman is murdered. From there it will become a race against time to find out who the culprit before everyone dies. Is it one of the former orphans or perhaps the ghost of that child seeking revenge? Time is running out.

This game will follow the style of Higurashi/Umineko no Naku Koro ni. As such we’re paying tribute when we call this Karasu no Naku Koro ni, When the Crows Cry. This is a murder mystery game that will be strongly driven by characters and will span several arcs. Each arc characters will die, killed by an enigmatic murderer. Each time the killer succeeds in killing everyone the game will reset and we’ll begin the cycle again. This will continue until the ‘good’ ending is found and the real killer is caught.

-------------------
Characters
-------------------

Edith Beaumont - A philanthropist for as long as anyone could remember, the currently 80 year old owner of the Beaumont Estate and the long closed Beaumont Orphanage has invited the final charges of the orphanage she had sponsored long ago to her lonely mansion in a secluded area in France. Not much is known about her, but she seems to be a kindly old lady who enjoys telling stories. She is French, but can speak English fluently with a light accent.

Claudia Allen- A 10 year old girl that passed away under mysterious circumstances 20 years ago at the Beaumont Orphanage. She had long, pale blond hair that could almost be described as white, reddish eyes, and a skinny, frail looking figure. Edith insists that her ghost haunts the mansion.

Cyrus Dacre – The good natured butler of the Beaumont Estate. He’s lighthearted and cheerful, though will sometimes speak without thinking and end up saying something unintentionally rude. His father worked as Edith’s butler until his unfortunate death five years prior to the story. To repay Edith for her kindness in paying for his funeral Cyrus has taken over the duties of butler to the Beaumont household. He does most of the cooking, laundry and decorating for the estate. He has no mechanical skill whatsoever. He treats Miriam as if she was his little sister though they have no blood relation to each other.

Miriam Blanche - The clumsy maid of the Beaumont Estate. The orphaned child of a former resident in the final group of children to reside at Beaumont Orphanage, her mother passed away when she was still a toddler through mysterious means. With no living relatives, she was sent to the secluded Beaumont Estate, where she immediately became attached to a young Cyrus and the aging Edith, seeing them as her older brother and loving grandmother respectively. She is skilled with tasks that require brute strength and tasks that are usually deemed as masculine, such as maintaining the power generator run by the stream on the premesis of the estate, opening pickle jars, tending to the gardens, handling all plumbing and electrical matters, and mercilessly destroying any trace of insects. She is incapable of any feminine tasks to a monstrous degree. To make up for her skills and lack of skills in said areas, she maintains a sweet, polite, shy demeanor.

-------------------
Character Sheet(Tentative)
-------------------

Name: (Pretty obvious; keep in mind that this is a European setting, so make your characters match that as well as the time frame.)

Age: (Adults can be aged between 25-35, children from 5-15; Please note that if you want to play a child you will have to collaborate with an adult PC. Every kid is going to have at least one parent/guardian in the game with them.)

Occupation: (What your character does. Remember, make it appropriate to the setting! If playing a child, state your character's grade here.)

Appearance: (How your character looks, remember to keep it appropriate to the era it’s set in. They're also at a mansion, so keep their clothing appropriate to the setting as well.)

Personality: (What is your character like? Do they have any little quirks? What sorts of things make them nervous or motivate them to bravery?)

Notes: (Anything extra you would like to add that doesn't fit into the other categories goes here.)

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Gender:[/b]

[b]Occupation:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]Notes:[/b]

-------------------
Extra Notes
-------------------

- For those of you not in the know, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/Umineko no Naku Koro ni(Wiki links provided) are visual novels based around two different Groundhog's Day scenarios where time loops until the characters meet a "good end". The two visual novels are loosely related, but to clarify things, this RP will be something like a Higurashi scenario with an Umineko setting. You don't have to know anything about Umineko/Higurashi besides the information provided in the previous sections for the RP; the information linked here is just for reference.

- All characters in the 25-37 age group are former charges of the long closed Beaumont Orphanage. That means they do not have any family to speak of until they were adopted or fostered. Keep that in mind when you're working on your sheet.

- Please note the fact that there is no background section in the character sheet currently. The process will be as follows:
1. Approve a select amount of characters.
2. Have accepted players correspond and collaborate on their backgrounds.
3. PM completed individual backgrounds to both Deena and Berry.
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

-------------------
Votes
-------------------

Votes 1-4
Last edited by Berry-tan on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:31 am, edited 5 times in total.

Re: Karasu no Naku Koro Ni | OOC | Sign-ups Open

Postby Deena » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:17 pm

-------------------
Settings & Maps
-------------------

*Descriptions of the grounds will be provided in the IC thread. These maps are simply for visual reference.

Map of the Beaumont Estate

Notes:
-The two squares just outside the entrance are two stone pillars with bronze plaques stating the address of the estate. A stone crow is perched on top of each pillar.

-There's a small, grassy clearing right in front of the stone pillars in front of the entrance where you can park your car. That is, if you have a local driver's license or an international license.<_>

-Only servants know about the old beaten path, as guests and residents are warned not to explore the forest on their own due to wild animals lurking about. It supposedly led to a small cottage, but the path has long been covered by shrubbery and weeds due to disuse. It can only be followed up until where the path on the map ends.

-The outer wall is made of stones; the wall looks old and worn down, but still sturdy enough to keep the more dangerous wild animals from the forest out. At each corner is a stone pillar similar to the ones at the entrance. They each have a stone crow perched atop them as well. The exterior of the estate's walls have withered branches of ivy crawling along them.

-In the graveyard rests the remains of the Beaumont ancestry and loyal lifelong servants of the estate.

-As the setting is in the dead of winter, most of the gardens are covered in snow. The exception to this is the hedge maze, where the hedges are tall evergreen shrubs, and the heated greenhouse, which is used to grow vegetables and fruits even in the harsh winter months. The greenhouse doubles as a butterfly sanctuary.

-The interior of the servants' quarters are uninhabited, and all entrances/exits are locked; the rooms inside caked with a layer of thick dust, seeming as if it were untouched for years. The exterior appears well tended as with the rest of the interior of the estate.

-The greenhouse is openly accessible. There are three sets of doors; one for the front entrance, and one for the side entrance that leads to the straight path to the tea garden, which is basically a gazebo in the center of the hedge maze with some chairs and a table, a perfect place for afternoon tea in the warmer months. The third set of doors is the back exit that leads to the storage area for the greenhouse's supplies. The hedge maze has two entrances/exits. One is the front entry that is the entryway to the maze, and the other is the entrance that's right in front of the greenhouse that is the shortcut to the tea garden. Both entrances/exits have gates that are locked in the winter months. The greenhouse is accessible year-round, though the doors are locked at night.
Last edited by Deena on Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby Berry-tan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:19 pm

-------------------
Accepted Characters
-------------------

Hana - Alexandria Fontenaut
Wazit - James Rumfield
Sentios - Sage Knox
Tsurugi - Javier Garcín
Hello-kathryne - Father Logan Valentine
Gigafist - Emma Faller
BG07 - Daniel Garnier
Cheesemore - Hans Schwartzwald
Jay - Raquel Appleseed
Cascade - Claude Griffon
Bob - Oliver "Ollie" Trump the "Terminator"
Last edited by Berry-tan on Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Deena » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:19 pm

-------------------
Announcements
-------------------

Every accepted player must fill the following out and PM it to BOTH Deena and Berry:

Background: (Life story. Try not to make it too long, but make sure to put any necessary details in. Besides that, every player is required to collaborate with at least two other players. Try not to get caught in an isolated clique; the goal is to connect characters to promote interaction between players rather than NPCs. This RP will be heavily player-driven.)

Motive: (The fun part!8D Here is where you say what the breaking point for your character is. What will make this character want to commit a murder? No matter how laid back he/she is, there is always a breaking point to every character. Maybe their closest friend is killed? They've gone bankrupt? Maybe they only want to murder one person, but they end up murdering the rest to avoid witnesses? Every character in this RP will have a motive to kill the other characters for one reason or another.)

Relation to Claudia: (Every adult character will have some prior knowledge of the little girl that passed away 20 years ago known as Claudia. They could have been friends with her, they could have had a childhood crush on her, they could have bullied her, they could have even only known her face and rarely interacted with her. Depending on your character's relation to her, us GMs will divulge certain important tidbits of information. If your character is a child, leave this blank.)

---

Here is the format:

Code: Select all
[b]Character Name:[/b]

[b]Background:[/b]

[b]Motive:[/b]

[b]Relation to Claudia:[/b]

-------------------
FAQ
-------------------

<Coming Soon!>
Last edited by Deena on Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Karasu no Naku Koro ni | OOC | Sign-ups Open

Postby Tragedy_and_Comedy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:27 am

Deena wrote:Please note that if you want to play a child you will have to collaborate with an adult PC. Every kid is going to have at least one parent/guardian in the game with them.

I need an adult. I would like to do a child.
You... you really don't get it... do you? I... I love him... I'd die with him. Or for him. That's what you do... how you feel when you love someone. - Impulse

Postby Deena » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:41 am

I think we need to do some advertising.~_~;

Or bribery, whatever.

Postby Berry-tan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:57 am

...First three people to submit and be accepted won't die as fast as everyone else?

I mean they'll still die, but yeah. They'll last longer. >.>;

Postby Princess » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:03 am

no Naku Koro ni?! Count me in! Tragi, I'll be your parent.

Name: Lea Balfour

Appearance: Slender build and standing at 5'4, she has porcelain like skin which has no blemishes. She has straight, long raven black hair that falls to the middle of her back. Bangs fall onto her forehead an inch above her green eyes. She wears a pink dress that has a pink lace overlay that starts at the waist and ends and the middle of her calves, she wears this with pink 2'' heels. Her light pink lips are normally pursed, but when relaxed you can notice a small freckle on her bottom lip on the far right. She wears two pieces of jewelry. On her left ring finger she wears her silver wedding band that is a princess cut diamond, and a small pearl necklace lays around her thin neck.

Personality: Even though she grew up in an orphanage she is very selfish and can be completely rude. But under her hard exterior she can be very caring to those she's close to. Especially when her child is threatened, she does anything in her means to protect them, even putting her life on the line. She is a complete neat freak and everything must be in order, this is due to her slight OCD. She dislikes gossip but will chime in during any type of conversation, including gossip, thus making her a bit of a hypocrite.

Notes: Terrified of thunderstorms.
Last edited by Princess on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Oct 31, 2014 at 4:23 pm EST, sempai finally noticed me.
Snafu Mods Suck Slightly Less 2k14
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Deena » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:24 am

Berry-tan wrote:...First three people to submit and be accepted won't die as fast as everyone else?

I mean they'll still die, but yeah. They'll last longer. >.>;

Or not. Who knows.<_>

...but I'll draw the cast at some point.8D

Postby Cascade » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:50 am

Tragedy_and_Comedy wrote:I need an adult. I would like to do a child.

Oh exploitable.
FUKKATSU

Postby Hana » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:22 pm

I'm not familiar with the show, but the concept sounds intriguing. I might try to whip something up for this.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Berry-tan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:38 pm

You don't really need to know the series to play this game, we're just paying a homage to the series that inspired us.

Postby BobSagat » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:40 pm

I'll join, give me some time, I might be reviving one of my favorite characters. Lisa, the hateful bitch.
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Postby Arune » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:53 pm

I am familiar with Higurashi and I am reading Umineko. *nods* I'll give the game a try as well.

Postby Ro Wong » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:05 pm

*looks around curiously before stepping back, a single smirk, wide and ominous, vissible for a mment from the shadows* Mmm... Intrigue~ *looks for suitable female characters for detective work* Tally-ho!
Demon of Elru

Postby Hana » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:10 pm

....How did you know I was making a detective? >_>
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Ro Wong » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:12 pm

Oh, please. I knew Naoto had an influence into your subconscious the first time you mentioned when you discovered her...truth. XD

But aside from that, we also think alike. Frequently.
Last edited by Ro Wong on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demon of Elru

Postby Hana » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Pah. I've been into mysteries since way before that. Blame Anita Blake, if you're going to blame anybody. Or hell...Blame Amelia Peabody. *tries to finish her character up*
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Ro Wong » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:16 pm

Oi... If we're gonna blame Anita, I'd choose the first half of the series thus far. Too much focus on the sexual stuff in later books.

Though you did spark an idea... *rubs chin*
Demon of Elru

Postby Hana » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:19 pm

Name: Alexandria Fontenaut

Appearance: Alex is very much no-nonsense, wearing suits to blend in with the men she works with, her suit jackets complete with shoulder pads. Her suits are usually dark (dark gray or navy blue), and always of a natural fiber, and always paired with sensible flats. She wears a small silver locket on a thin chain around her neck, and a pair of very small diamond stud earrings. Her hair is usually combed back and pony-tailed at the base of her skull, eschewing the big hair that's all the rage for something that won't get her picked on by her fellow detectives. However, she does wear light, natural looking makeup that highlights her dark brown eyes and full lips, not willing to give up all of her femininity.

Personality: When you play with the big boys, you have to be tough. You can't show any weaknesses, even if you do have them. As such, Alex is a veneer of stolid seriousness and patience, who can take a joke in stride and let all the quips roll off her back. She knows when to stand up for herself, too, proving that she's just as strong of heart as a man is. What nobody knows is that she's got a soft side, too, one she rarely, if ever, lets people see. See, her coworkers don't know it, but she likes cats and rainstorms, books and a good cup of cocoa. She likes walking in the mountains, and sitting by the seaside. No, they think she likes strong coffee, the Times, and nonfiction books. They think she likes hitting the gym and the gun range. And she likes it that way. Letting people in, letting them know who you really are just sets you up for pain later on when something horrible happens to them or they decide to leave you.

Notes:
Weapon of choice - .45 caliber semi-auto pistol, preferably a Browning M1911
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Tragedy_and_Comedy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:12 pm

Stufflikehearts wrote:Tragi, I'll be your parent.

Thanks, Stuffie.

Name: Kaitlynn Balfour

Appearance: Short black hair with little pig-tails and large blue-green eyes. Three feet tall and average weight. She has pale skin like her mother, except for her knees, which are always scabbed and freckles across her cheeks and nose. She only wears what her mother tells her. She is wearing a long-sleeved, turtle-necked black dress that that reaches her knees. There are five small buttons going down the front. She likes to go barefoot unless her mother tells her to put on her boots. She has a small bead bracelet on her right wrist.

Personality: A quiet child who adores her mother. Very innocent, as she is six, and a half as she is quick to point out. She likes to explore, often getting in where she's not supposed to, ie locked doors. She is observant but has a weakness for sweets. She'd eat plain sugar if she were allowed. She's very open and will tell you all about her life. She likes cooking with her mother and making the food look pretty. She also likes hiding in small spaces ie: closets, cupboards, under the table etc. She's not very popular at school but she doesn't like people her age anyway. ("Eww, Mommy, germs! And sticky icky hands.") Surprisingly, considering her aversion to people and their associated germs, she'll pick up random bugs off the ground.

Notes: She talks in third person (calls herself Lynny.) She's the daughter to Lea Balfour. Kaitlynn always has a cookie in her pocket. She also has a small rock collection which she leaves in her mother's purse (Without her mother's permission, and now Lea's purse is kinda heavy.)

If I need any more please tell me.
Last edited by Tragedy_and_Comedy on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
You... you really don't get it... do you? I... I love him... I'd die with him. Or for him. That's what you do... how you feel when you love someone. - Impulse

Postby Cascade » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:14 pm

Tragedy_and_Comedy wrote:Appearance:http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs28/f/2009/241/d/3/Witness_by_Sekra.png.

D8 *Flees*
FUKKATSU

Postby Tragedy_and_Comedy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:18 pm

What's wrong? I just mean the clothing.

Postby Ro Wong » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:33 pm

*falls over* Poor Cas... XD
Demon of Elru

Postby Berry-tan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Tragedy, please describe your characters clothes yourself. And that picture is just plain creepy.

The same goes for you Stuff. It's not too hard to describe someone's outfit.

Next

Return to Role Playing