Welcome to the Weirdness

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Re: Welcome to the Weirdness

Postby Vegedus » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:34 pm

Jumping right in he is. Guess ya was lurking for a while?
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Hallow Nova » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:31 pm

heh, someone just showed this to me.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Belwicket » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:30 am

Well, it was more the fact that I told him a lot about the RP and the 3 of us LARP'd it in his backyard. He'd come up with his char before joining.
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Vegedus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:10 pm

Belwicket wrote:and the 3 of us LARP'd it in his backyard.

Lawl. Not that I have anything against larping, but that's a really funny image in my head. Flattering though, I guess. How did it go, did you destroy the world?

Postby Asmodai » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Another anime recommendation! Uchouten Kazoku, or The Eccentric Family. It has that same whimsical, magical feeling that permeates through Ghibli classics like My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away. It follows a family of shape-shifting tanuki (Japanese raccoon dogs) as they interact with tengu, humans, and other tanuki families.

Yasaburo, the main character of the show, and his brothers all live in the shadow of their deceased father—who was the greatest tanuki in living memory. Much of the plot of the series is spent deciphering who their father really was and the mysterious circumstances behind his death.

Underlining the plot is an emotional exploration of how the father's death has left his family shattered. Each of the brothers has dealt with his death in different ways. Yasaburo has dedicated his life to having fun—only doing what he wants to when he wants to do it. One of his elder brothers has become overly serious, trying to live up to his father's legend; the other elder brother has withdrawn from the world and lives as a frog in the bottom of a temple well.

And then there's Benten, who is easily the series most enigmatic character—which is what makes her so thoroughly enjoyable. While neither tanuki nor tengu, she has mastered tengu magic and is not afraid to use it on a whim. Moreover, despite the appearance of obvious bad guys, she remains the series’ most threatening character; no one is capable of stopping her.

All in all, The Eccentric Family is a complex, multi-layered anime. On one level, it is a carefree adventure in the magical world hidden within our own. On another layer, it is an emotional tale, diving deeply into the concept of loss and how it affects a family. On yet another layer, it is an exploration on how to live life and find what is truly important.
Mephobiac

Postby KazeXDZ » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:53 pm

Yeah, we had a great time, that's one of my favorite LARPs.

Also, we're trying to make a LARP that's more fantasy style set in the medieval times. Too much DND.
Goth boy

Postby Vegedus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:16 pm

I'm getting genuinely curious: Did have any rules or buffer weapons or anything, or did you just point at each other and go "bone lazers pew!"? Or just focus on the social elements rather than fighting.

Postby Asmodai » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Lightning bolt! Lighting bolt! Lightning bolt!

I could never LARP, it seems way too goofy to me. Which is a shame, because that just shows how close minded I am.
Mephobiac

Postby Vegedus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:54 pm

Yup. There's lots of stuff that doesn't involve shouting lightning bolt or throwing flour. You were also weirded out by the idea of tabletop rolepaying, IIRC, which is to say, real roleplaying.

Let the flamewar commence!   
Last edited by Vegedus on Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Hallow Nova » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:55 pm

I think it's more of a matter if experience.
I thought the same until I tried it a bit more.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby KazeXDZ » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:16 pm

Vegedus wrote:I'm getting genuinely curious: Did have any rules or buffer weapons or anything, or did you just point at each other and go "bone lazers pew!"? Or just focus on the social elements rather than fighting.

A little of both, actually.
Goth boy

Postby Belwicket » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:30 pm

It's fun to LARP, even with my... disability.
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Asmodai » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:37 am

This doesnt look half bad... Though I really hope they do something about the story, since it was an non-understandable mess.
Mephobiac

Postby Sig Skellington » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:16 am

Asmodai wrote:Though I really hope they do something about the story, since it was an non-understandable mess.

The game's story or the movie's story?

Kinda looking forward to it as well, I might add.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Asmodai » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:23 pm

Game's story... I enjoyed the game because the gameplay was rock solid, but trying to make heads or tails of the story just gave me a headache.
Mephobiac

Postby Sig Skellington » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:36 pm

I... kinda got it. But yeah, gameplay was awesome. I heard some of the guys that worked on the Devil May Cry series (before the reboot) helped make Bayonetta.

Is this during or after the game? I can't tell.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Sentios » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:06 am

Alright before I begin formalizing this idea I'm going to be conducting an initial interest poll for a Shakugan no Shana RP. Please tell me if this interests you enough that I should do a full idea write up.

It will revolve around an original plot involving a group of humans with hougu in them (mystes that don't disappear essentially) and the plans of a couple organizations involving them. The RP will take place at the same time as the anime and progress in parallel with the anime's storyline, though in a different location.

In line with what I said a few pages back this RP will have a little different structure and pacing; I will be heavily involved in early chapters both as a GM, directing the initial story at regular intervals and introducing the various elements in play, and as a player. However the decisions and actions of the player characters will choose the direction of the story branches as it progresses along what I'm currently envisioning as 1 arc comprised of 3-4 chapters covering roughly the time frame of the first series. This could be extended depending on interest but I would like to try a RP where everyone knows it will have an 'ending' to play towards. Some of the components of the initial setting will also be open to vote by players.

It would be wise to think of this as an experimental RP, there will be a number of unusual meta-game elements like those above involved in it. Also while I don't plan to sacrifice fun for the sake of trying make a 'successful' RP, I am seeking players who can at least make a minimal level of commitment to this group activity. It's only fair to all of us that I ask that people who are unable to make at least lean (~50-100 words) posts once per week to not push this into the next stage.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Sig Skellington » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:26 am

This... belongs in the Idea Board.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Tuor » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:47 am

Nah, it's fine, it used to be pretty common practice to feel out interest before going ahead and wasting your time drafting up a formal idea post only to find out there's no interest.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Sig Skellington » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:37 am

I retract my previous statement then.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Vegedus » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:45 am

Interesting ideas, Sentios. I can only applaud experiments with the form, it's what I do as well. I know nothing of the Shakugan no Shana universe though, and am not sure I would be particularly interested in playing in it.

Postby Sentios » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:16 am

In the SnS world the primary (but secret) conflict is the battle between this world and the parallel world of Guze. Entities from Guze (Guze no Tomogara / Crimson Denizens) can manipulate an essential form of energy called 'power of existence', which allows all living things in this world to exist, in order to achieve their own varied goals. To be deprived of your power of existence is the same as you never having existed and creates distortions in the world itself. There are some entities from Guze who find humans to become vessels for them, granting them power to fight against Tomogara, in order to protect the humans in this world from such an end and preserve the balance between worlds. These select humans are called Flame Haze, their duties ranging from seeking out and killing the Tomogara who eat humans' existence, to softening the damage done by said Tomogara through the use of Fuzetsu / Seal and creation of Torches. The first a method of essentially freezing a place in time so that anything in it can be remade following a battle with a Tomogara while the second is a method used to fade a human who's existence has been eaten from existence instead of them just suddenly 'not existing'.

Also of note are Hougu / Treasure Tools, which are artifacts made from power of existence which possess a wide variety of magical abilities. Tomogara want them while Flame Haze at the very least don't want Tomogara to have them, Hougu can be protected by putting them inside Torches (called Mystes when they possess Hougu in them) because the Hougu will jump around to a new Torch every time it's current one fades from existence as such finding any Hougu, especially a specific one is a great ordeal.

That's some of the basic SnS knowledge, not sure if that will pique your interest or not.

Postby Asmodai » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Ooooh, I loved that anime! Though I barely remember anything of it, strangely enough.
Mephobiac

Postby Sentios » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:38 pm

I'll admit that I forgot it existed part way though series 2 but series 3 more than made up for it once I found out about it.

Postby Karo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:12 am

Going to try and make a reappearance. What's been going on lately, and what should I be paying attention to?
Zath: Behold, Karo: The only woman in existence who can make Fenix shut the fuck up.
Redsnow: That, and, frankly, if Karo doesn't like you that much, your character is probably going to die soon after his acceptance anyway.
Keiran: Bad RPs don't get picked, unmemberable RPs get ignored.
Zelosse: I don't usually laugh at blatant attitude, but when I do. It usually involves Karo.

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing