Welcome to the Weirdness

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: RP Mod Squad, Mod Squad

Re: Welcome to the Weirdness

Postby Asmodai » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:43 am

I'm really against bringing in stat systems to RPs though... I've never seen an RP use them properly
Mephobiac

Postby Vegedus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:27 am

I'm against using them if they have no purpose. Like, what would their function actually be?
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby BG07 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:39 am

I think they're often a good way of showing what a character is and isn't capable of. Its useful in preventing people from doing things that their character really shouldn't be able to do.

Postby Vegedus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:52 am

But a descriptive "He is very strong, in that body builder way" is a more illustrative and flexible way of putting it than "Strength: 7". If you want to know what their characters are good and bad at, have it be a section on the CS.

Postby BG07 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:05 am

That's essentially what it ends up being, having stats to show just how strong a character is compared to another character. If two people get into a tussle and one says his character is as strong as a body builder while the other says he's as strong as heavyweight boxer... well those are both subjective descriptions, a 7 vs a 6 clearly defines which should be stronger.

I'm not saying every RP should have a stats system, but I've been in a few where it worked very well.

Postby Unit 06 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:44 am

I just imagined the stats would determine the character's general abilities, similar to how Dark Souls' stats would decide your roll/run speed, etc.

But I'm still thinking on this, so might not include them...
Clone of Adam

Postby Ro Wong » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Stats can be useful, if you properly set them up. Just adding them for basic measurement isn't enough for some. Having a system in place where they contribute to something such as specific abilities could be a good, basic method.

If you feel you need to use stats, that is.

Edit: About the Souls games, though, I really enjoyed them. May not have the most involved sort of stories, but it works. Certainly intend to get the next one.
Demon of Elru

Postby Hana » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:42 pm

Stats. Amber DRPG does them in a pretty awesome way: BIDDING WAR. The players get to bid against each other for placement in the stat, and the rankings are more important than the actual stat numbers. It's pretty cool.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:42 pm

I've never played with stats before. Seems messy, imho.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:34 am

Oh man, hahaha

People's reactions to that most recent episode.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Unit 06 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:19 am

I think people are overreacting.
Clone of Adam

Postby MERASMUS! » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:28 am

People overreact to a lot of things.
Never anger a magician

Postby BG07 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:27 am

I love how that people who read the books set this up to happen because they knew it was coming.

Postby MERASMUS! » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:38 am

makes me think of the Biggest Freak out Ever video.

Teen gets pissed at warcraft acount deleted.
Shoves a remote up his butt.
Never anger a magician

Postby Archrival » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:45 am

TheMadDoctor wrote:makes me think of the Biggest Freak out Ever video.

Teen gets pissed at warcraft acount deleted.
Shoves a remote up his butt.

SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby MERASMUS! » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:57 pm

Yep. Thats the one.
Never anger a magician

Postby Creppy Eggy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:16 pm

How is having a controller anal-rapeing you gonna solve you WoW problem?
As I saw the creature, I was as white as an egg. I was so scared I might crack from fear. As the humanoid began to lunge after me, I was walking on egg shells from how scared I was. It grabbed me, took me to its station, and cracked me open. The last thing I saw were my yellow insides cooked on a pan. Human nature is as evil as a rotten egg.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Intergalactic Huevo

Postby MERASMUS! » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:20 pm

People have strange ways of dealing with anger.
Never anger a magician

Postby Vegedus » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Irrational people are irrational.

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:20 pm

Or just those that play WoW...

I'll never forget the time I was being chewed out for paying for Xbox Live and then reminding the person that they were paying 15 bucks a month for WoW.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Creppy Eggy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:25 am

Burn.

People these days take video games too seriously, especially online games. Lost a killing streak because you were a lvl 50 who got killed by a lvl 6? Throw your controller and scream at the screen. All this is reminding me of that one foreign kid who rage from Unreal Tournament and destroyed his keyboard and screamed so damn loud. Yall remember that video?
As I saw the creature, I was as white as an egg. I was so scared I might crack from fear. As the humanoid began to lunge after me, I was walking on egg shells from how scared I was. It grabbed me, took me to its station, and cracked me open. The last thing I saw were my yellow insides cooked on a pan. Human nature is as evil as a rotten egg.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Intergalactic Huevo

Postby Rival » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:28 am

Blood Lord wrote:Or just those that play WoW...

Oh hey that's a pretty unfair generalization. You shouldn't really be saying that of, give or take, 10 million people just because some of them were assholes to you. Some of the nicest people I met online, I've met via WoW. Just like you've played Halo with nice people, and the stereotypical opinion of Halo players is, at least in Europe, even worse than of WoW players.
Randori wrote:All this is reminding me of that one foreign kid who rage from Unreal Tournament and destroyed his keyboard and screamed so damn loud. Yall remember that video?

That video was staged and it had a very nasty aftermath:
http://www.cracked.com/article_15849_7- ... it_p3.html

And people like you are why that video is popular in the first place. You accept it at face value, without doing any research, cause it conveniently reinforces your view that "People these days take video games too seriously". When my cousin first showed me "angry german kid" my first reaction was "this has to be staged", granted it's clearer that it's meant as a satire when you know German, but still.

Same as half of those GoT episode reactions were staged. Not all, but at least the ones where people taped the reaction to only that episode, and none of the previous ones. As BG07 said, half of the people in the video, read the novels, or spoilers and knew what was coming was a shocking and game-changing episode, and hyped themselves up for over-the-top reactions, so that they could post it online and get that elusive and tasty e-fame. And hey, it worked. It's better than cinnamon challenge type videos at least.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby MERASMUS! » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:20 am

I never really played WoW. I'm not that big a fan of lone wolf competitive multiplayer either. I would rather use my knowledge of the map to achieve victory in a match. When I revisited halo 3 matchmaking, I immediately failed at it. But I already remember the locations of the weapons on the map. Next game, they will fall.
Never anger a magician

Postby Rival » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:31 am

I no longer play WoW. Played it for about 4 years. Pandaria pretty much guaranteed I won't return, didn't like some decisions they made.

Still have a bunch of good memories though.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Sentios » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:45 am

I played WoW for a few years, no end game that appealed to me eventually made sure I didn't want to return. I was most active for the Northrend expansion, barely active for Cata, and haven't touched Pandaria. While I like some of the changes they made over that time I just don't like some of r their core 'milking your subscription money' tactics.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing