Welcome to the Weirdness

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Re: Welcome to the Weirdness

Postby Dorian » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:29 pm

SomethingAwful's setup is brilliant, honestly. There are pretty much two reasons why it's such a good forum. 1: it costs money, thereby almost immediately cutting out people who don't have access to a credit card aka stupid children. Also completely eliminates the concerns of bots and spam.

2: Intelligent moderation. You can be put on probation for acting like a total idiot or flippantly breaking the rules, or banned if you do something atrociously stupid or you have a backlog of probations. Want to come back? Sure you can, for 10 more dollars. So if you wanna keep being stupid you can, but at least then the site benefits from your wallet if not your posting.

Feel free to roll your eyes at the thought of a forum account that costs money but I've gotten way more entertainment out of my 10 dollars there than I would get out of a movie ticket or a pizza or whatever else.

Glad to see 4chan is still the height of maturity with their opinions though.
Never asked for this

Postby Dorian » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:31 pm

Seriously though if 10 dollars breaks the bank for you then posting on a forum is probably the last thing you should be thinking about doing anyway.
Never asked for this

Postby Sentios » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:40 pm

So Dorian posts on SA, I'm not sure how to respond to this other than

>mfw

Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Jay » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:33 am

man I'm like a social MONARCH butterfly

and lol Hiryu the whole point of me mentioning that is that's literally the limit of my power and thus totally useless no need to get all touchy about your special power thing or w/e
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:21 am

I may be wrong when saying this, but I think some people here are forgetting one big thing. (I might be bias considering what I've had to deal with) But, when talking about bringing life back into the forums to get more activity, yes it does involve Dave caring more about the forum and site itself to bring interest.. but we are forgetting it's also about us. How do you expect people to stay and participate when most are unkind and unwelcoming? There used to be a time where people were more willing to get along with each other. A lot of things go two ways, forum participation and getting people to want to be interested, this is one of them. If you want people to stay, be more welcoming, kind and helpful. Allow them to engage in conversation, and don't reserve the current topic to your closest group of friends. Snafu Forums isn't just what it was like years ago.

That's all I will say here.

Postby Mathias » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:28 am

You're right; you are biased. There hasn't been anyone who has been unwelcome in some time. Though some people may be critical of someone they don't like and they are entitled to do so. You weren't the best suited for your role as a moderator, so you raised criticism, as with any leader or politician.
You also seem to be overlooking the point of the gold status, which is that it is about the community.

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:35 am

Yes, I know. But with what I was saying I meant not just because of what had happened to me.. or one particular time. I've seen it happen to a few people not only myself. I know I wasn't the best suited for my role as moderator and I agree I did some unorthodox things during that time that I was. It was out of pressure and I apologized. And no, I wasn't overlooking the point of the gold membership either. You don't need a gold membership status to be worthwhile to the community, you know.

Postby Mathias » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:48 am

No one said it was a status thing, people keep perceiving it that way. It is just a group of regular members who care about the forum to discuss matters of it for the betterment of the whole. Would you rather it be done anonymously in secret? That sure would be shady. As mentioned previously, it gives incentive to new members and old to become more prominent posters and contributing individuals to the community and ensures them that things are being looked after.

Postby Rival » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:49 am

On a side note, there seems to be a bug currently that makes a PM sent to 1 gold member get sent to all gold members. Just a heads up, if anyone wants to send something confidential to someone with a gold account, it'll be read by 14 other people. lol

Plus, if you send too many PMs it's annoying for people with an enabled e-mail notification upon PM reception.

Sentios wrote:This is the first thing I thought of when I saw the gold accounts actually.

Same here, I thought it was a direct reference to it.

I don't even visit imageboards much anymore, but it was the first thing I thought of, probably due to "gold" being in the name.
Last edited by Rival on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Morpheus » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:50 am

Gold membership is made up of those who have been here long enough and have shown themselves helpful enough to have their say in the forums future.
The forum itself is open to the eyes of the public.
And one thing that made me think you were a terrible moderator was the fact that you didn't care.
People literally had to drag you out to do things.

Postby Mathias » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:55 am

Rival wrote:On a side note, there seems to be a bug currently that makes a PM sent to 1 gold member get sent to all gold members. Just a heads up, if anyone wants to send something confidential to someone with a gold account, it'll be read by 14 other people.

You just have to remove the group from the To: box.

Postby Rival » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:22 am

Mathias wrote:
Rival wrote:On a side note, there seems to be a bug currently that makes a PM sent to 1 gold member get sent to all gold members. Just a heads up, if anyone wants to send something confidential to someone with a gold account, it'll be read by 14 other people.

You just have to remove the group from the To: box.

Ah, I saw 25 PMs in my inbox, so I thought it's unavoidable.

I didn't want to send a PM to 14 people just to test it. :P

And guys lets avoid dwelling on the past too much. Soth and Val asked for this to be kept constructive.

Spam no longer is how it was years ago and Ali isn't a mod anymore, so talking on either topic at this point, is passing judgement for the sake of year old irritations, which... you know, isn't constructive.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Sentios » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:32 am

Amaranthine Ali wrote:You don't need a gold membership status to be worthwhile to the community, you know.

When you understand the stated intention with it the name 'gold card member' is rather misleading, it looks to be just an elite club. What they're intending is more like a board reform committee in the short term and more like an official group of greeters in the long run. Kinda like when you go into a Walmart and there's always that one person at the door with a roll of stickers, even though anyone working there can be nice and help you.

Not that I've changed my view on the matter any, that's just how I see the situation.

I don't even visit imageboards much anymore, but it was the first thing I thought of, probably due to "gold" being in the name.

I find it some what amusing that we're talking about improving the board now considering that moot suddenly started acting like the owner of 4chan at the beginning of the month instead of just another troll. Even implemented /q/ is for discussing problems and improvements that could be made for 4chan which mirrors one objective of the gold card members.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Grey » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:40 am

hello rp

i was just readin through the mod forum backlogs when i came across the thread about when i made that troll rp thing

now, i'm not going to apologize because i think it was hilarious and the way people like geo and cascade got butthurt was magnificent

i am, however, going to assure you that i will just not bother you guys because i can't be arsed. i have nothin against any of ya, you were just perfect targets at the time and you reacted exactly the way i'd have hoped. you guys have to appreciate a good troll, right? it's not like i was just spamming all your game threads with bullshit, that's boring.

i'm really not a bad guy if you got to know me. i'm, like, the coolest.

that's why i'm a mod now: because i'm the best
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby Mathias » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:49 am

Grey is also best poster.

Postby MQuinny1234 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:14 am

So basically...
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Grey » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:18 am

oh i coulda been far more malicious

i got malicious towards hana once but i was kinda messed up at the time

i'm still all mad kindsa messed up now but its a different kinda messed up where it just means i take zero care of my body and pump it fulla chemicals to make me smile
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby MQuinny1234 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:19 am

Fair enough.

Can you delete one of those posts though? Forum's gone slow and is lagging on me.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Mathias » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:20 am

Grey wrote:oh i coulda been far more malicious

i got malicious towards hana once but i was kinda messed up at the time

i'm still all mad kindsa messed up now but its a different kinda messed up where it just means i take zero care of my body and pump it fulla chemicals to make me smile

Did you learn nothing from that tv special you were on?

Postby Ro Wong » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:39 am

Grey: Can't speak for others, but I don't like grudges. If I was bent up over stuff all the time, I'd have never voted for you as mod months ago. Or tried to resolve that little misunderstanding Dorian and I had earlier. This could go on... Anyway, there's always dicks on the internet, so I don't see a reason to treat what you did back then as anything special. I just want the forum active and all that old shit to be forgotten.
Last edited by Ro Wong on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Demon of Elru

Postby Riz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:45 am

Rival wrote:On a side note, there seems to be a bug currently that makes a PM sent to 1 gold member get sent to all gold members. Just a heads up, if anyone wants to send something confidential to someone with a gold account, it'll be read by 14 other people. lol

Plus, if you send too many PMs it's annoying for people with an enabled e-mail notification upon PM reception.

yeah I had that problem last night, as you probably saw. if you want to send a pm to just one person of the group, then pm them directly you silly :p

it's not a bug, that's a regular function of the "pm this group" button on the group page. it's there so that someone within the group can announce something to the entire group quickly and then everyone can discuss it like a reply-all response to an email. it's something we don't really need but everyone else uses because they think that's how you apply (I did too until someone told me better so it's understandable)

I'm going to talk to BR when he's on about making a global announcement so that people from all the subforums can know it's not just open to spam people and learn how to apply. I think the qualifications should be outlined in the announcement so that people who just want to be gold know that they need not apply.
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack

Postby Ro Wong » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:55 am

Well, that helps. Started to think mine went out to the whole group. XD
Demon of Elru

Postby Geomancer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:43 pm

I don't like the Spam forum because I'm easily trolled for some reason and all it does is make me depressed.
Final Fantasy IX was the best Final Fantasy game ever and if you think otherwise you are WRONG!

My fanfiction account. Comments and criticisms are very welcome.
GMancer

Postby Morpheus » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:46 pm

You need to get a thicker skin Geo if you get offended by spam.

Postby Geomancer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:47 pm

That's like telling a chronic depressive to 'cheer up'. Any real advice?
Final Fantasy IX was the best Final Fantasy game ever and if you think otherwise you are WRONG!

My fanfiction account. Comments and criticisms are very welcome.
GMancer

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing