It has been a decade since Team Rocket tipped the balance of power in its favor and took over Kanto. After a successful theft of the plans for the Master Ball, the organization became an unstoppable force with a captured Mewtwo under its thumb, until the Elite Four of Kanto took it upon themselves to destroy all factories and traces of the Master Ball’s design, sacrificing themselves in the process. However, the damage had been done, and Team Rocket, with its now-unimaginable cache of resources from its control of Mewtwo, plunged the region into a spiral of social and economic darkness that took hold of both Johto and the Kanto regions. The entire region functions, as if normal, but hand of Team Rocket can be seen in everything from the Pokemon Centers, which, in the Kanto-Johto region, need to pay money to use, to the very League that has been built up for so long.
In Hoenn, the battles that took place between Team Aqua and Team Magma shook the entire region – and the three legendary pokemon that proceeded to exact vengeance upon both sides, and the innocents in between. Hoenn became a scar upon the world, devoid of all traces of humanity and only traveled by the most daring or foolhardy trainers.
Sinnoh has remained relatively untouched – Team Galactic’s plans to rewrite the world were thwarted by the then-Sinnoh Champion Cynthia, who has since been forcibly retired due to her sudden disappearance.
Now, three years later after the disastrous events that left Hoenn a virtual wasteland, devoid of any landmarks or distinguishable human traces, trouble is beginning to stir in the horizon once more. Stars have begun to disappear, and natural forces have started to fall into a deadly, capricious chaos. No one knows the meaning for this, and any who may have seen a glimpse of an azure flute being played before the incarnation of destruction descended upon them have not lived to tell the tale.
You are an established trainer in this forsaken world, and have taken it upon yourself to search for the meaning behind this destruction and chaos. Glory, redemption, destruction, truth – whatever your motive, you will find it, but will the hardships and sacrifices you and your team have to endure be worth it?The FIRST RULE
1. Please read through ALL of the other rules.General Rules
1. Though this rpg begins in the Sinnoh region, your character may be from any of the known regions, and will have traveled to most – if not all – of the other regions, barring Hoenn. The Sevii Islands, being so far geographically from Kanto, will be referred to as a region somewhat of their own; however, they will have the same starters and pokemon as the Kanto region. Please give your characters a legitimate reason to be in the Sinnoh region in their bio’s.
2. No player may create more than ONE (1!!) trainer. However, there is no limit on characters that are side characters/trainers – your character’s parents or siblings, for example. Generic characters, such as Nurse Joy, Officer Jenny, or the like, will be shared. Keep in mind that the only other trainers of your strength or above will be other players.
3. When a pokemon dies, it dies. No phoenix down, no revives. There are other ways to bring them back to life, but you may or may not even come across these EVER, nor will these ways be willing to undo what was done, for your sake only. So keep that in mind.
4. Most of the main characters from the anime/manga do not exist; with the ones that do, however, it is very unlikely you’ll be meeting them, given how large the world is, and they will be played by the GM as NPC’s (The Elite Four’s, the Gym Leaders (excluding Gary – Viridian is still lead by Giovanni, who only pops around at uncertain times to maintain the façade), and the Champions are still around). Hoenn Gym Leaders/Elite Four/Champion are all dead, as far as you know, as they gave their lives sealing Groudon, Rayquaza, and Kyogre and preventing them from doing to the world what they did to Hoenn.
5. There are pokemon trainers with extraordinary abilities – psychics are the best examples of this. This option is UNAVAILABLE to characters. However, affinity for certain pokemon, such as Lance’s affinity for dragon-types, may be allowed, given good reason.
6. When posting IC, do NOT make references to specific number-based aspects of pokemon, such as ‘level 57’, ‘252 Attack Evs’, and so on. While they may be important in the games, using them anywhere else just makes for bad writing. This also holds true for attacks to some extent; instead of saying ‘Golem used Seismic Toss,’ describe the effects of the attack instead – ‘Golem grabbed the Breloom by it’s arms from behind and began swinging it around and around, going faster and faster until its features could hardly be seen. Then, suddenly, it let go, sending the Breloom flying into the stadium wall with enough force to crack it.’ It is perfectly acceptable for trainers to call out for their pokemon to use certain attacks, however (ex. “Golem, use Seismic Toss!”). Natures are stupid and will not be a factor; IV’s might, but you sure as hell won’t get Ash’s Pikachu in IV’s.
8. The character's main team must be posted. If applicable, a trainer is allowed up to FOUR 'alternate' pokemon, which are pokemon that the trainer owns and battles with, but are not a part of his/her main team and are not regularly carried around by the trainer. Members of the main team may be substituted by an alternate at any time the player wishes, through PC exchange, but the six-pokemon limit for a team remains in place.
9. Player characters are susceptible - perhaps even more so than Pokemon - to Pokemon attacks, which can, yes, be deadly. Also, your character's abilities as a trainer are up to his own ingenuity. During non-league sanctioned or friendly battles, the last thing you want to do is sit around waiting for your opponent to bring out his Pokemon so you can glare at each other for a while before calling out attacks. In this RP, Pokemon are a means, not an end, anymore. And yes, that means we're no longer in the anime.Rules for Pokemon Teams
1. In the interest of fairness, NO PLAYER will be allowed more than ONE pseudo-legendary pokemon on their team, should they choose to have one – frankly, this is here because in a world point of view, training a pseudo will have taken most of your career. ALSO NO ONE is allowed a legendary pokemon captured; legendary pokemon regulate certain functions of reality and their capture would be disastrous to the world.
2. Pokemon will be allowed to know a total of SEVEN moves instead of the regular four – however, if a player wishes their pokemon to know fewer than seven moves, this is acceptable. Please note that a pokemon may not have more than one type of Hidden Power, as this is based on genetics, and that it will not be specifically referred to with it’s type at the end, simply as ‘Hidden Power’ rather than, for example, ‘Hidden Power Ice.’ Also, note that Hidden Power does not exist with the Normal type.
3. No more than SIX pokemon may be carried around by a single player at once. However, if your character has settled down somewhat and no longer travels, they are allowed to keep all their pokemon with them, so long as they never travel or battle with any more than six. The other pokemon a character has caught, but does not carry around, are kept at the lab of the professor from the region they are from (Sevii Islands/Orange Islands (they will be ret-conned, kinda, into the same place) pokemon go to Professor Oak).
4. A pokemon’s description in the pokedex will have a lot more impact here than it does in the games, etc. For instance, Alakazam is hard to train not just because it evolves a certain way, but because it has an IQ of 5000. They are smarter than supercomputers, and are smarter than you. This does not mean that they are impossible to train, you just need a convincing reason to have been able to do so. Other quirks for other pokemon apply; be sure to read up and add these as small details to your bio if you need explanation for anything.
5. It is STRONGLY recommended that your character has all the means of travel available to him - particularly Fly or its substitutes (Arcanine, for instance, can actually run faster than a Skarmory can fly. True facts.)Other Rules
1.Keep it civil. If something happens that doesn’t seem right to you, or you spot someone making a universe-specific error, go ahead and point it out. That’s what the OOC board is for. Just don’t bite someone’s head off in the process.
2. Pokemon RPG’s, as has been pointed out numerous times, are particularly susceptible to player fall-out – one player loses interest, the whole party does. While I will try to keep this from happening by moving things along, please communicate with me frequently and do not be afraid to tell me you are leaving so I can move things along in-game. I will put a maximum FIVE DAY wait on any one character’s post. If I do not see the post, or hear from the player, until then, that character will be ret-conned and a spot will be opened up.Character Sheet Format
Name: (Preferably along the English translation vein.)
Age: (Up to you, really, but I’m putting a minimum at 16, given your “established trainer status”. Of course, you can forego that right and be a lower-leveled Bug-Catcher or a Youngster, but I somehow doubt that will be a popular choice.)
Appearance: (Nothing unusual here. Keep in mind that the Pokemon world is a slightly futuristic society, though.)
Trainer Philosophy: (Are Pokemon just tools? Comrades? Friends? Emergency rations
? Each trainer has one – what makes your trainer special?)
History: (Here I’d like to see some creativity. We can have a group of Pokemon trainers who have been training since the age of .5 and lost their parents in the Hoenn Scarring that made them all thirst for revenge and all the other stuff that made Uchiha Sasuke a new cliché. Or we can have a group of extremely diverse trainers from different parts of the Pokemon world who have had rich, fulfilling experiences with their Pokemon, and are brought together by fate to try and save…well, you get the picture. Please be awesome, and don’t forget to mention your starter, as well as some of the more prominent members of your character’s team.)
Team: (No Levels, Stats, or Moves. I will trust, by your honor, that you will keep count of the number of different attacks that are used by your character’s Pokemon. Also, remember that you are an established
trainer; you can have any Pokemon at any evolutionary stage, so long as they coincide with rules for teams.)
10. (Storage)Last-minute Additions
There are only a limited number of spots - I'm thinking five or six at most. It's not on a first-come first-serve basis and more of a how-much-do-you-care basis, although I will give some priority to those who voted for the RP in the Idea thread.
Lastly, I'm sorry, but some knowledge of the Pokemon universe is a requirement here, although I'm sure this won't really be a problem, given where we are. But given the fact that I am basically going to be running a "end-game" style RP, it would be difficult if you were just starting out. If you are unsure, PM me and we'll discuss whether or not you've wasted enough of your life on imaginary cockfights like the rest of us.New Section! World Information
This is here so that I can bring up any points or concerns any of the players may have had.
1. Kanto-Johto function as if normal. Your character could have gone through the entire region without noticing anything amiss. If your character is even a little perceptive, though, their hands can be seen in jacked up Pokemart prices or the fact that Pokemon Centers now require payment only in those two regions. A Team Rocket Elite Four exists, as well, and they control the entire League, from gyms to starter centers.
2. Sinnoh is functioning as if normal, but a new Champion will have just been crowned when the RP begins.Current Characters/Players (Courtesy of Cheesemore)http://www.snafu-comics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2594208#p2594208http://www.snafu-comics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2594464#p2594464http://www.snafu-comics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2594539#p2594539http://www.snafu-comics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2594850#p2594850http://www.snafu-comics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2595284#p2595284http://www.snafu-comics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2595980#p2595980