D & D

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

D & D

Postby NaucheBrooks » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:25 pm

Ummmmmmmm well i always knew that D &D started the hole revolution of rpg's and rpg's started mmorpg's so yeah im thinking well it must be good oh and for those who dont know what D&D is it means dungeons and dragons but yeah if you have any experience with the game can you be so kind to let me know.

Re: D & D

Postby Jay » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:40 pm

We're fine with the occasional thread asking about Pen and Paper RPG games. They're just deleted once they're finished, but the people here do often know about stuff.

So don't worry about it, trigger happy kids.

Anyhow, I've played DnD 3.5 over IRC before, and I'm currently trying to do a play-by-post of DnD 4.0 on a forum elsewhere. There are at least several people on the forum who have played significantly more DnD than I, though, in addition to a great number of other PnP RPG's.

I think for a fantasy adventure, DnD's alright. It ultimately depends on the GM, but with some smart house ruling and good campaign writing, DnD's good enough to be fun. At the least, it's a solid choice, if your setting is generic fantasy. In addition, you could say it's a good place to start, if you're new to things. However, buying all the rulebooks and crap are a pain... though with the internet, there are ways around that, if they're willing to go that far.
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby Mehoaido » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:17 pm

XzbrooksX wrote:Ummmmmmmm well i always knew that D &D started the hole revolution of rpg's and rpg's started mmorpg's so yeah im thinking well it must be good oh and for those who dont know what D&D is it means dungeons and dragons but yeah if you have any experience with the game can you be so kind to let me know.

Oh dear gods in heavens use a bit of punctuation will you?!

Well since D&D is practically the father of every RPG, I approve it's existence, but in fact there are many RPG's that are way better than D&D.
If you only look for a Dungeon Crawl/Hack and Slay RPG then D&D might be the perfect choice, If you look for an RPG where you actually want to play a "Character" you should stick to "White Wolf" systems for example.
I havn't played D&D after I stopped playing 2nd edition, so I can't really tell you anything about the 4th Edition, except, many people said it wasn't that great.
It's not enough to have no thoughts.
You gotta be unable to express them.

My Art thread

Postby Vegedus » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:12 pm

Mehoaido wrote:Well since D&D is practically the father of every RPG, I approve it's existence, but in fact there are many RPG's that are way better than D&D.

I agree with this. It's still probably the best choice for rules-heavy generic fantasy. Most other tend to specialize more.

Oh, and it should be noted 3.5 is good for generic, well-rounded games, while 4.0 is better for mostly combat focused gameplay and great if you like the idea of having a dozen powers and tricks unique to your character class.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Cascade » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:54 am

I'm glad to hear someone else who thinks that, Vegedus. I'm one of a few of my friends who likes both 3.5 and 4.0. I think they're both great fun, though I actually prefer 4.0 edition in terms of user-friendliness, easy rules and overall fun factor, as well as class balance. 3.5 has a wealth of extra material to help make your game more complex and fun.

That being said, we usually prefer people post in the Weirdness about these kinds of topics, since it's our general discussion and questions thread. But I'll leave this topic up until tomorrow night.
FUKKATSU

Return to Role Playing