RolePlay - Idea Board

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: RP Mod Squad, Mod Squad

Postby Mercury Pulse » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:44 pm

It takes two to argue.

Postby CarrionMan » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:46 pm

Fien, he's questioning.

Postby BobSagat » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:59 pm

CM... I said the idea sounded fun, I just didn't know where you were going to go with it, that's all, alright?
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Postby CarrionMan » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:00 pm

Yeah, I never felt offended.

Postby Existencial_Heresy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:10 am

I've developed a rough outline of the Role Play, titles continue elude me me but the best I can come up with is The Kurayami Incident. A better working title was what I was hoping for but for now it will do. Still, several anomalies are showing up and the process of how to make a complexed and convoluted plot-line outlining utilizing both a deep-seated conspiracy within the local populace and a mixture of the supernatural continue to be difficult to define.

Postby BobSagat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:14 am

Conspiracy = Good, but tell us MOAR.
2pro

Postby Existencial_Heresy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:43 am

Well I have the rough outline written out and I figured I would post it for advice on refinement and conceptualization. I have a central character but he is not the lead character but rather the instigator that begins the actual chatacter's local inquiries that drive the story. Well here goes nothing and forgive it's rough-cut feel if you will.

Role play name - The Kurayami Incident

Premise - The mountain town of Kurayami has been beset by a series of foul murders and it is up to you to solve them and bring the person or persons to justice. There is a smuggling going on in the mountains and a new drug is on the loose, it is time to catch the smugglers. Some folk point to the Oni villages hidden in the mountains as a source of the goings-on, it is up to us to find out what the trouble is.

The entire purpose of the role play? A deep rooted and complexed conspiracy is to be uncovered by the players step by step, following leads, picking up clues, fighting off enemies and just trying to survive in a dark, horrible town of fear, corruption and maddeningly macabre supernatural occurances.

NON-Character/Character classes -

Peasant - A simple farmer, merchant, laborer or tradesman, generaly an NPC.

Samurai - A noble or even decayed noble who is known to study calligraphy, swordsmanship and philosophy. Usually swears fealty to a local lord and upholds his code of honor with tenacity.

Ronin - For all intents and purposes a samurai with no master or home, a decayed noble.

Gaijin - A foreigner, purported to be ugly, hairy, strong, tall, with large eyes and lustfull natures, to be arrested onsight unless bearing official papers saying otherwise.

Oni - Demons of many different varities in various folk legends, capable of taking human form and blending in with the populace.

Magistrate (NPC) - A goverment official much like a constable but generally one that the constable ultimately answers too.

Lord (NPC) - A samurai lord of high-rank usually with several loyal retainers.

Constable - A police officer/detective.

Deputy - Any of the above mention deputized by a constable and given paperwork by the magistrates office allowing them the ability to arrest, detain or destroy the offender should the situation warrant. (The Samurai class is immune to this unless the case is brought to local authorities.)

Ninja - Shadow warriors said to be extinct, the hated enemy of the samurai. They make excellent spies and assassins and are said also to pose as gardeners or wandering priests.

Buddhist Monk - A secular or wandering monk from a local temple or on a pilgrimage to various holy sites and shrines.

Factions

Constabulary/Magistrate's office (The Keikan)

A stranger has been sent into the midst of Kurayami village, he is Constable Tanaka Maro a strange man reputedly a half-breed who has traveled abroad in secret for many years before returning home as a means retirement. Somewhat wealthy and militaristic he seems uncommonly different from the local population and is said to hail from Nagasaki. His purpose? To snuff out the conspiracies therein, to ascertain the mysteries of Kurayami, long held as a place of dark portents and dirty dealings. How will he do this? You! You will become part of the solution, whether you are a down on your luck Samurai, or a mysterious wanderer with a past you would rather not let out, you will join the mission as a contact and even as a deputy.

Kusemono Gang

Or join against him, keep the secrets of your town that which it is - A SECRET! Your orginization has worked hard to embed itself into the local populous and go so far as to use the dark happenstances of the local area as a cover for what your true purposes are. There are people to eliminate besides this foolish outsider and on the whole you have a great deal of fish to fry. What the lower levels of your clan don't realize is that the whole operation is run by the undead with dark schemes spanning generations. Cross them and you die slowly.

Conspiracy?

Deep seated into the populace the conspiracy is that of a drug running operation based on a new concoction called The Purple Lotus. A debilitating, yet wholly addictive drug that induces a hallucinogenic state of dreamy visions that cause the user euphoria, though over use and bad highs can be associated. Other operations include a secret mining operation and weapons production under the nearby mountain. The sole purpose of this is to raise an army armed with swords and semi-modern rifles to begin conquering the area under the Kusemono Gang. Little do the populace know that underneath the surface of this otherwise swaggering band of braggarts and toughs (locally anyway, though bulk remaining in the hidden mining colony and complex) is actually manipulated by the undead in the form of an ancient society of vampires? Or possibly revenants? These jaded, yet wholly focused individuals want to controll the area and eventually the rest of japan. Eventually they hope to conquer mainland Asia as well, but they are patient and can let their plans bear fruit over several decades. The people that run this are actually risen members of the Yamashita clan of a local family of samurai that have lived in the area for centuries.

Aside from that the mining and general raucus making is angering the spirits of the mountain as well as several as of yet hidden oni demon tribes that have lain quiet since before the fuedal ages. Unknownst to man for many centuries they have become agitated by the desecration of their sacred mountain as well as various sites that remain holy to them. They have begun to send their own spies into the town as well and may contact individuals trying to better their community.

Kurayami as a place (fictional) - As a place Kurayami is nestled in a secluded valley underneath a vast and isolating mountain range. The valley itself it still heavily wooded and rather vast, near the center it comprises of a lake fed by a river from deeper in the mountains. The mountains themselves have many tracts and hidden valleys. The most domineering mountain in the region of all is that of Tsuwamono, called so because of it's jagged peak and terrible storms that surround it during the high part of summer. The town itself is a large affair full of vagabonds passing from one part of the island to another, or people generally hiding in shame from various aspects of the law within the larger community outside the remote valley itself.

It is a large, sprawling town surrounded by rice fields as the local populace make Sake for trade as well as various dishes cooked with fish found in the river and lake. Near the base of Tsuwamono is the Ancient castle of Toride, built during the Muramochi period. This imposing fortress is little used except by a family called the Yamashita family, a many branched family that continue the ancient traditions of the samurai.

Postby CarrionMan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:18 pm

Would anyone like to be lead singer in my RP? I might just be environment.

Postby BobSagat » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:28 pm

Seems interesting EH, I like the Feudal Japan touch.

But before I even consider your reputation (or lack of) around here, I'd like to know a bit about your ability to weave a complex, conspiracy-riddled mystery tale.

If you would, throw something out at me... like an intro... something that stinks of conspiracy, holds me in suspense and makes me crave for more.

Cause you're gonna have to definitely do that for a mystery RP like the one you've just described.

Or at least, that's my opinion.

And if its a government conspiracy, then ew. Too many of those.
2pro

Postby Jay » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:29 pm

I'll support your idea for the hell of it, Existential Heresy.

You really need to pick a handier name though. Or give us one to use. :P

Anyhow, I've been pretty impressed with you thus far, so here's your veteran vote. Good luck man.
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby Existencial_Heresy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:31 am

Hmm an intro eh? Sounds reasonable, though really what I was throwing up was just some rough outlines for my ideas. What I really wanted was some refinement of the concepts first before I even decide where I wanted to take this and if it was even worthy of roleplaying, but so it goes.

And yes, I guess I need something better than EH to be called. Well you can call me simply Darrell or D if you prefer. Thats my name as much as I detest such a moniker.

Added after 31 minutes:

Well here is an intro, I hope it pleases your tastes. It is an introduction of the town of Kurayami through constable Tanaka Maro's eyes. It might be subpar, but then again I am a very poor judge of my own work honestly.

The rain came down, that was the first thing he noticed, that awful, straight downpour that had clattered overhead for two days since they first reached the mountains. Maro noted the driver sat up front in the rain with little care seemingly only intent on his destination, while he and his companion sat under two oil paper umbrellas with little worry from the wind, it had yet to pick up, perhaps why the storm had not moved. Luckily he had the foresight to bind most of is things tightly in waterproofed satchels and skins, most of the effects remained un-damaged, this he dismissed as he watched the country side slowly roll by.

Regardless of the weather there were people in the fields, planting, threshing and growing in the great sprawling rice patties that writhed out from the town, or perhaps it was a city. No matter it was coming into view now regardless. For the first time inspite of the rain he got a glimpse of Kurayami, it's housing on the outskirts were much the same as in any rural village. Post driven affairs strong and sturdy, but these exhibited a squalor he had little seen save in poorer regions. Much dilapidated many seemed on the verge of collapse, each ardently leaning against it's beams for support.

Maro turned a lazy eye to such houses in passing interest, many were infact in a state of abandonment, gaping open and rotting in the squelching mud. Some half sunken and looking like sinister leviathans rising from the deep to cast down ships from some ancient and forgotten era. More interesting though, were those near the porches and decks adjacent to the housing. Wizen, eery figures half in shadow regarding the passing wagon with hidden faces and hidden designs both unwelcoming and unforgiving. It was a blessing to pass through the rotting and much decayed outskirts of the once prosperous town, but only when compared to the town proper itself. The muddied streets and stony walls of Kurayami welcomed visitors like a pit of blackened darkness stained in the ever splashing mud that permeated through everything.

The gloom of the town was palpable in the air, as was the fog that seamed to permeate past the wall. As they passed the hanging lamps lighting what little they could of the sprawling, semi-molten rivers of mud called streets illuminated furtive figures in the background going about some private business better guessed than inquired. Strange folk from all over the country gathered here and even now pockets of roving men seemed to pass by unheeded by the rain or mist, both grim and splashed with mud these men seemed to posses a determination etched in the stone of their gray, splotched faces.

Now and then a sliding door would creep partly open, or a window shutter would move a fraction of an inch, revealing naught but a wall of shadows behind which no one could guess what lay. Truly now had Maro seen Kurayami and had fully come to understand why the town was named in Japanese ''Darkness''.

Re: RolePlay - Idea Board

Postby Distracto » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:53 am

Hey has anyone done a Bleach RP yet? i would do that one. i mean you could start with the Soul reaper academy final Exam. then you could move on to various missions.
Kinda Back...we will see

Postby Dorian » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:57 am

One was started briefly but the GMs, one of them being myself, didn't have time to run it. I really would prefer not to see one done unless it's almost perfect, and that's a lot to ask.
Never asked for this

Postby Distracto » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:11 am

well it can be done. it just depends on the characters that play, i have an amazing character for it. plus i have tought of several missions already.
Kinda Back...we will see

Postby Tuor » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:08 am

Not in the Rp forum you haven't.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Ro Wong » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:27 am

Get some experience, upgrade your grammar.
Demon of Elru

Postby Distracto » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:47 am

Sorry, I was just typeing quick. >.<
Kinda Back...we will see

Postby Ro Wong » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:55 am

Gotta learn patience then. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.
Demon of Elru

Postby Distracto » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:12 am

Well I do have one other idea. It is a story I have had in my head for years. I only have the major outline of the story right now.

Basicly it is in a world, where angels and demons are at war. But Humans do not a thing about it. The angels and demons are basicly factions. The war is controled by Reapers. They are Basicly the Police of the supernatural. They are lead by the Grim Reaper (who is a Girl, just want to mess with peoples minds ;) ). The angels had lost the first war and the demons claimed the power of light for their spoils. The angels are now creatures of darkness.

the story goes on. i have several key characters, such as chosen angels and chosen demons(important people).
Kinda Back...we will see

Postby Existencial_Heresy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:02 pm

I see no one found the sample intro very interesting, but not too worry, it just tells me I need more work as a writer.

Postby Jay » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:26 pm

I still support you, Darrell. XD

Postby Existencial_Heresy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:53 pm

-Salutes Jase- XP

Postby Cascade » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:01 pm

I personally really like the idea.
FUKKATSU

Postby Jay » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:01 pm

That's a vote, Darrell.

Don't let Cascade convince you otherwise, no matter what he says.

Postby Hana » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:09 pm

Existencial_Heresy wrote:I see no one found the sample intro very interesting, but not too worry, it just tells me I need more work as a writer.

Actually, I really liked it. It really sets a dark, kind of mysterious mood, and it's really descriptive!

Ecksy, as I will dub you in my infinitely cute way, you get my vote! +1
Hopefully, I'll get better soon and be able to play it. 'Cause I'm sure you'll garner enough votes. ^_^
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing