Zero to Zenith ~Out Of Character Thread~

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Zero to Zenith ~Out Of Character Thread~

Postby blue05dj » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:46 pm

[center]

ZER0 TO ZENITH

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

From ZERO to HERO
A Superhero RP
[/center]

THE PLOT:

The year is 2024 and mankind has progressed incredibly.Technology has flourished, the economy is rising on the global scale. World hunger is nearly ended and people have taken action in saving third world countries. Yes 2024 is a good year and it is not going to be ruined by anything like crime statistics. No, for criminal punishment has also progressed over the years. The V.I.S.O.R., also known as the Villian Indocile Subdual Or Reform has taken good care of the world's criminals. It is because of V.I.S.O.R. that Zenith island was recreated. Their sub branch of government had a vision, one to end the terror of villains. The job has gotten more difficult and they need help. Are you one to step up and assist them? Or are you one of the infamous faces that mankind would rue ignoring?

THE SETTING:

The Zenith Island is an island of the western hemisphere. It is known as Zenith island because it is now home to one of the largest known dormant volcanoes in the world. This island was originally taken in by the U.S government to become the fifty first state but due to recent events it has been assigned a new purpose. Zenith island now acts as the world's super prison. It is intended as a place to reform all wrong doers of society, isolating the crime lords from the normal, everyday citizen. In a matter of years, the government announced that the Zenith plan (the plan to move all of the villains to one isolated location) as a major success. It has now become an international prison and serves a much more dire purpose. The Zenith Islands now house some of the world's most feared supervillains, allowing them to walk around and interact with other villains as f they were all normal citizens. The island is enforced by three primary forces. Force one is Delta team, the smart bunch of scientist who came up with ways to negate and restrict the use of the supervillain's signature skills and abilities. The second force is the Beta force, your average everyday police officers who live on the island with the criminals. These are very brave men who regulate mostly the average criminal and are not to engage in the super villain affairs. The last of the enforcers, the Alpha enforcers, are the world's superheroes. Actual superheroes all come to serve justice.

The island itself is about as large as the state of Texas only in a rounder shape. It is surrounded by negators that negate any super power that is not regulated by a special patch, given only to super heroes under the V.I.S.O.R. program.The island has been industrialized in many areas but its climate and soil closely resembles Hawaii. There has been no volcanic activity on the island since its mysterious discovery.

THE...YOU:

Personal Message me your character Sheet! Do NOT post it here in the OOC thread. Thank you! More information about plot and setting is soon to come for you!

FACTIONS:
The Heroes may also join factions.

1.) The Primary faction is the government funded faction V.I.S.O.R. Alpha. Heroes here are funded by the government, they are regulated by strict rules of protocol but having a higher power watching you and giving you orders still has its perks. They're resources are yours, just be careful not to overstep any lines or boundaries.

2.) Arcforce, an anonymously started gang of heroes that often works alongside V.I.S.O.R. Alpha. Most of these heroes were invited to fight for justice by V.I.S.O.R but did not join V.I.S.O.R. itself. Some who join Arcforce simply disliked the rules that V.I.S.O.R wanted them to enforce others may have more personal reasons. Arcforce seriously lacks the funding that Alpha team possesses as well as many of the resources. Freedom is all theirs though, they call their own shots and decide their own missions. They often assist Alpha team but the V.I.S.O.R program.

3.) You may also create your own factions if you'd like to, just PM me information about it.

PM me to let me know which faction you're in. Villain factions are secret.

THE CHARACTER SHEET:

Code: Select all
[u][b][i]
The Secret Identity.[/i][/b][/u]
[u]--------------------------[/u]
[list]
[b]Name:[/b] (Your Character's full name, simple)
[b]Gender:[/b] (Male or Female you may also optionally put sexual orientation here too.)
[b]Age:[/b] (I'd prefer a definite age. How many years has your character been living?)
[b]Occupation:[/b] (Does this person have a job of any sort that they use as either a cover or that they have maintained even after going hero?)
[b]Appearance:[/b] (What color eyes do you have? What color is your hair? How long is your hair? What is the structure of your face like? Do any features stand out? Do you have an odd posture? What types of clothing do you wear? Clean? Messy? etc.)
[b]Personality:[/b] (How do you usually act when alone? When with people? When with your friends? Do you treat your friends well? How do you act on your crush? If someone were to describe you, what would they say? How does that contrast to what you think of yourself?)
[b]Character History:[/b] (Where were they born? What type of an education did they get? Who were their parents and how did their parents treat them? What was their childhood like? As a teen, what were they like? How did they bump into their powers? Describe the events from birth to where they are today.)
[/list][u][b]
[i]Now Put Your Masks On.[/i][/b][/u]
[u]--------------------------------[/u]
[list]
[b]Alias[/b]: (To protect your identity, you'll need an alias. What is your super hero's Alias? It can be based on their appearance, their power, their personality, or their experiences.)
[b]Origin[/b]: (Which origin do you owe your abilities? Do you owe your power to a science project gone wrong or do you channel them from some magical source?)
[b]Costume[/b]: (So when you go out rescuing folks, what exactly do you wear?)
[b]Archetypes[/b]: (If I had to put a label on you, what would it be? This is like labeling people in high school: Geek, bully, nerd. All of those are archetypes but there are many hero specific archetypes as well which you should include.)
[b]Abilities:[/b] (Can you fly? Navigate any terrain with your eyes closed? Can you spit really, really, far? What abilities do you use when crime fighting?)
[/list]

EXTRAS:

+Origins
"So bottle up old love and throw it out to sea. Watch it away as you cry. A year has passed, the seasons go."

From the Official city of Heroes Website:::

Heroes come from many places. Some are born to power, while others seek it out. There are even those who have no special abilities, who rely upon technology or their own skills to help them fight crime. While they are heroes one and all, origins have an important effect upon what kind of hero someone becomes.

MUTATION ORIGIN
    The Mutant was born with his powers. His innate abilities appeared either at birth or puberty. A rare few did not develop until adulthood. These powers set the mutant apart from the rest of mankind; they are capable of far more than any normal human being. Mutants are sometimes feared for their strange talents, but are more often admired by the public at large.

-----

*The Red Claw*

Mutation is what the Red Claw is all about. The Red Claw, was most likely an average street gang in origin but they quickly rose to the top as the most elite gang across the nation. It was then discovered that their success was due to their leader known simply as "Third Claw". Reports said that he had an uncanny ability in persuasion and finding strong recruits. No one mentioned that he was a mutant capable of hypnosis and locating other mutants. It is not discernible just how much or Red Claw is composed of mutants but it is assumed to be the majority. The Red Claw has dealings in all types of crime, like an ordinary gang; theft, drug dealing, prostitution, and most notably murder.

SCIENTIFIC ORIGIN
    The Science hero received his powers either through purposeful scientific inquiry or through some accident gone awry. The hero might not understand the forces that bestowed his super powers; all he does understand is that nothing is the same anymore.

-----

*Lighthouse*

Possibly the most seemingly innocent group of people, the Lighthouse is composed of highly renowned scientist who have a knack for perverse thinking. Because of their unique views and unwillingness to be restricted by the government, they have banded together to form the lighthouse. Research, experimentation, and collecting information is what they're all about. They are relentless in their search for better knowledge. What are they willing to risk? Anything. Their daughters, sons, and wives, each other, and most definitely the strangers that foolishly volunteer for them. Radiation, strange chemicals, alien lifeforms, anything is their playing field.

TECHNOLOGICAL ORIGIN
    A technological hero uses gadgets to battle the forces of evil. No one else has been able to duplicate the amazing technology that lies behind these gadgets. This hero need not be a brilliant inventor; he can also be a normal guy who has received these gizmos from some benefactor.

-----

*The Underground*

This is the most independent group that the heroes regularly face. The Underground is not a group but in fact a place that our heroes have yet to locate. The search is diligent but as of yet they have made little progress in locating it. Their problem is the people of this area who all seem to have their hands on the incredibly advanced technology found there. Somehow, these people are gathering and inventing under the radar and more often than not, this technology is highly dangerous.

NATURAL ORIGIN
    A natural hero isn't "super" at all; his amazing talents are derived from intense training and innate abilities. He may have been guided since birth to become the physical specimen that he is, or perhaps some tragedy has driven him to seek perfection.

-----

*Black Vipers*

The Black Vipers eh? They aren't very well known... they aren't very inconspicuous either. The Black Vipers are the most skilled collection of assassins out there. Their little group has many levels, of course, the higher one goes into the levels the least known they are. Most of the Black Vipers have trained extensively, so much that the agility of even the lowest human is above average.

MAGICAL ORIGIN
    The magical hero receives his powers from a magical source. These abilities might stem from a mystical artifact that the hero has gained over the years - or perhaps the hero has mastered numerous spells that provide him with superhuman gifts.

-----

*The Church*

Don't let their name fool you, The Church is full of some of the coldest, most ruthless people of the Role play. They do not worship as the name implies, in fact, you may as well reject any presumptions that their name gives. The Church is a group of magical artifact searchers, those who seek the powers of things they don't understand, one's unconcerned with morals or good and evil. The Church was originally two different groups, one a group of curious gentlemen, and two survivors of the Salem Witch trials or decedents of the convicted. Currently, the church is looking for any item with mystical properties but their primary goal is to look for the precarious stones. These members are looking for the twenty even stones that have the last traces of actual witch powers inside of them.

+Archetypes
"When all you got to keep is strong, move along, move along, like I know ya do. And even when your hope is gone, move along, move along just to make it through."

Look Here: http://www.listology.com/content_show.cfm/content_id.22873/Writing for any possible archetypes that relate to your character. They can be complex or basic pending on you. Examples of used archetypes are the self critical leader: Cyclops from the X-Men, the vigilante: Wolverine, or the reformed villians: Emma Frost, The Thunderbirds...

The archetype you choose will help determine the plots thrown your way. Choose whichever best identifies your hero and why they are doing heroics. You may even create your own archetype, or explain what you think would describe your character's if you cannot find one. The classic traitor? The wise old man?

+Abilities
"The walls start breathing, my mind's unweaving. Maybe its best you leave me alone. a weight is lifted, on this evening. I give the final blow."

So how do you do it? How in the hell do you fight crime, beat bad guys, and deal out free cans of whoop ass to the needy criminals of the city? What abilities do you have in your arsenal? How is it that you are so unique? These abilities are not limited to "super powers" maybe you are simply the master of a particular skill. Maybe you are an Olympic Level champion who decided that you can use your athleticism in a new kind of sport. Maybe you're a shaman who uses spells, or maybe you're a mutie using your gifts. Much like our video game counterpart, we will be using "power sets" in this Roleplay. In the game there is no true limit to how many power sets you can have, her neither but you must have a certain limit. There will not be this all powerful superpowered god. I would like to have an equal level, or at least as equal as can be expected. The purpose of choosing your powers is not to try and whoop every other Role player but to help move the story along. I will be closely monitoring powers. In addition, the stronger you are, the more weaknesses you must have. Every superman has his Kryptonite. I however, do not particularly like object based weaknesses especially not when you have a superpowered juggernaut like Clark Kent. I mean...c'mon a rare space rock? No one can even find the $%^# and you call it a weakness? I also have grown weary with the. "Yes he's super powerful, but he cannot control his powers" deal. Someone, I don't know who. Took this decent weakness and abused the hell out of it. Now, its what god mods use as a weakness all the time... Know why? Because said superpowered conveniently looses control of their powers, goes super nova, using tremendous power and obliterating all enemies instantly. Oh, and their clothes aren't as glossy anymore... Guys thats not a weakness, thats your way of saying that your character owns no matter what. You can say that, I'm not saying you cannot use either of these, I'm just saying that depending on how I view your powers, you may need other weaknesses in addition. Otherwise, most people know what to do in this area. All I can say is write it and I'll either approve of it or tell you what I don't like.

+Secret Identities
"Who has to know? When we live such fragile lives, its the best way we survive. Who has to know the way she feels inside, those thoughts I can't deny?"

Yes, secret identities. Most heroes have one. Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and a handful of the X-Men. In this Roleplay, the secret identity, the hero without the mask, is just as important as the hero itself. This adds to the hero's background so make sure they connect. We will be playing this side of the super hero spectrum too but keep in mind that your hero may have to jump into action. Be sure to describe how your character reached the abilities that they now have.

+Backgrounds
"Wish cast into the sky, I'm moing on. Sweet beginnings do arise, she knows I was wrong. The notess are old, they bend, they fold."

The background of your character will be the backbone of the story. Yes, we are a superhero RP with Supervillians and plots but trust me, the better you make your character's history, the better the RP. This is the part of the Character Sheet that I want your focus to be on. Be creative, imaginative, but rember to be a little realistic. The greater you make this section, the more chances for character and power advancement you'll get. It doesn't have to be a ground breaking history, just something that was well thought out. It will be mostly this section that will make or break your CS.

+The Secret System
"Tell me all that you've thrown away, find out games you don't want to play. I'll keep you my dirty little secret, don't tell anyone or you'll be just another regret."

You tell me your dirty little secrets...
    We are going to attempt a "Secret system" for this Roleplay. Its where all of the secrets are kept only to those who need to know it and the moderators. I intend for this to be very organized and to add a certain edge to the Role-play. For instance...If you make a villain that is pretending to be a hero, then that'll be a secret between us, no one else will know. That is...unless they have some ability to allow that knowledge. It'll give the betrayals a more realistic edge since most of the RP seriously didn't know. This will work by PM. All Character sheets will be PMed to me and I will post it in the OOC forum upon its approval. When I post it, however, I will only post common knowledge. Everything else is an honest secret...except secret identities. With everyone posting their applications under the same account, it'll be obvious which character matches which hero.

PARTICIPANTS
-----------------
(In ABC order)
    Archrival-001
    Aura
    blue05dj
    Caim
    darkshark
    Fellguarde
    Forse the Deathmaster
    Geomancer
    Hasegawa Rayven
    Iris
    Karo
    Mastermind
    Material Defender
    McDurg
    nekoneko
    NeoWarrior7
    Rin
    Ro Wong
    Silver Samurai
    timer67
    TyranThesaurus Rex
    Verec
    Wins2
Last edited by blue05dj on Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Postby Archrival » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:42 am

One question is this island all prison or is there a another island where people live work and get education?
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Hasegawa Rayven » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:55 am

I believe it works like the Australia of old, As in, where England was sending all their prisoners there as a form of complete exile.

All the Villains are allowed to live and work and be normal. But due to nullifiers they don't have any superpowers.

EDIT: Ah, no offense to anyone in Australia.
Syaoran and Sakura "Meant to be"

Postby Archrival » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:30 am

Yeah but my character's not on that island, he's in whatever city that allows normal people to work where both villains and heroes have their powers and can do whatever the heck they like with full roaming powers, I want to know what that place is called. Lol British founded Australia, it makes me Lol.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Material Defender » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:15 am

So, no Alien origin?

Regardless, I still have a lot of options. Rather overwhelming. *Rubs hands together* Elementals, summoners, blah blah.

Re: Zero to Zenith ~Out Of Character Thread~

Postby Caim » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:16 am

actually, you can have an Alien. Just say "natural" origin, and then you can point out that his/her "powers" are actually something the entire race has, like superman.

Postby Archrival » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:19 am

Actually the original magical description mentions aliens.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Caim » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:22 am

Yeah, that too. That's the great thing about COH/V, you can make ANY kind of character you want and it can make sense if you're creative enough! I mean, a guy who got his "powers" from technology, but uses zombies to do his bidding could work if you get creative!

Postby Archrival » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:25 am

Yup. That's the genius of superheroics, no matter the powers the origination may be different.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby blue05dj » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:25 am

Hasegawa Rayven was very right about the whole Australia like prison thing. I was going for that, initially, with some form of isolation from the rest of the world. However, you asked a good question. Due to the fact that we will also be using our secret identities, it cannot be exclusive to villains. So that I will change. Instead of being villain exclusive, it will also be a place of residence for normal civilians. The island will have physical dividers that divides the criminal from the citizen. Both are on the island but travel between the two will require a special security pass. Thank you, that was a nice question. I will have more on this when I return. Note that only one side of the island will have nullifiers -wink-. :P

And yes, the others are right. An alien can definitely fit into the Role Play. It doesn't yet have its own exclusive origin but as the other members said you can put it under another header that you find fitting. I can also just make an alien origin for you if you'd like its up to you.

Postby Caim » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:28 am

Oh, can I ask something? Can we make somewhat morally ambiguous characters? Since outright villains are out, I was just going to make a character that sorely stretches even the "anti hero" category.

Postby Archrival » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:32 am

Caim wrote:Oh, can I ask something? Can we make somewhat morally ambiguous characters? Since outright villains are out, I was just going to make a character that sorely stretches even the "anti hero" category.

He didn't say they were out, It says in the first post "Are you one to step up and assist them? Or are you one of the infamous faces that mankind would rue ignoring?"
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Caim » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 am

Whoops, sorry >.>

It's just kind of easy to miss that one phrase amongst all the other stuff

Postby Archrival » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:38 am

Yeah, you have to read closely. This is mainly a hero RP which is true but if you have heroes you need villains so your not gonna have just Blue playing villains are you? You have to read closely yet think in-between the lines.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Material Defender » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:17 pm

We need a Kurt Hectic Hero for some giggles.

Though, for a real question, should character history be thier real history or thier secret identies History?

Postby Archrival » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:26 pm

Material Defender wrote:We need a Kurt Hectic Hero for some giggles.

Though, for a real question, should character history be thier real history or thier secret identies History?

That's one good question.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Ro Wong » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:46 pm

Ah, something I can work with. Been a while since I got into one of these. *cracks his fingers* Expect something. Oh, but for those who might worry: Don't. I'm making the character(s) much weaker than my last ones. XD

*takes the CS and heads off*
Demon of Elru

Postby Archrival » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:47 pm

Just don't go for a Joker theme.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby blue05dj » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:53 pm

Yes, I'm sorry. Based on the questions I've seen, I need to seriously elaborate. The Role play is very open to villains. I guess my title was a little misleading but villains are welcome.

There is no character sheet deadline.

The Role Play, for most RPers will begin on Zenith island but the Role play is by no means restricted to this time and place. Various plots will move us around, into space, back in time, to Atlantis, or some super hero's granny's house. Your character need not be from Zenith Island either, they could be visiting for all I care, it was just a central location created to keep us all in a localized area so that actual Role playing can take place.

Just a warning, the heroes are going to be the very busy ones, the villains not as much but you'll still have stuff to do. The villains will have a bit more freedom than the heroes, as is expected. Since they are freely able to come up with their plans. All villains will not already be incarcerated, some will be roaming free and making their plans, the heroes will have to Role play their capture (if they can capture the villain). Still, it will be interesting if someone makes villains that are incarcerated and trying to break out.

Because there is more than one villain, please, let me know before you start taking action because if too much goes on it can be hectic.

You are able to have vehicles and such if you want. I hadn't created a section for that so please just describe it in the Abilities area of your CS.

There are still NPCs don't get me wrong. What I am saying is that not all of your threats will be of my generation, some may be the schemes of another player's character.

I know I probably forgot some material but I covered kind of a FAQ. I think.

I'm going to have to take some time to organize the rest of this information. Please feel free to ask any more questions.

Material Defender wrote:We need a Kurt Hectic Hero for some giggles.

Almost missed this question. It would be both. In this section you should describe your character's full history, from the very beginning to the present. The secret identity is still a very big part of the hero.

Postby Aura » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:10 pm

I'm interested. ^_^

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:09 am

I have mine mostly worked out. Just got to get it down in writing.

So, one character only, right?
For the Greater Good

Postby Hasegawa Rayven » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:50 am

we need a Leroy Jenkins Hero/Villain. XD
Syaoran and Sakura "Meant to be"

Postby Material Defender » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:09 am

Kurt Hectic hero would be better.

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:20 am

Question!

What do you think is The Punisher's archetype? :unsure:
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Caim » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:02 am

The punisher? I guess a renegade anti hero, or murderous vigilante or something along those lines.

Next

Return to Role Playing