2011 SNAFU RP Forum Meetup: Just how screwed is this?

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Re: 2010 (2011?) SNAFU RP Forum Meetup: CHANGE!

Postby GnSz » Tue May 05, 2009 1:37 am

XD Must be quite the wait in between flights.

Postby Deena » Tue May 05, 2009 1:58 pm

The longest flight I've ever been on was 18 hours, from New Jersey to India with a stop in Singapore. If you include the wait between flights, it was about 27-30 hours total. We pretty much spent a day in Singapore. It wasn't too bad.

Postby GnSz » Fri May 08, 2009 10:52 am

. . . . . I erased all memory of my long-ass flights. >.< Bad memories they were.

Postby Rough Giraffe » Sun May 10, 2009 9:09 am

Well, it's better than taking a three-week trip to the North Pole under the water.

Yeah, I went there. North Pole was cool. Cold, even, but still pretty cool.
A little bit Ruff around the edges

Postby GnSz » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:20 pm

*eyebrow rises* It's almost been a month since anyone's even discussed this topic. I'm mildly surprised. But, I was curious and looked at the first post for this topic by lostdrifter. So, has a 'list' been made of people who are possibly going? It's probably good to even make a separate site for this topic, so that this way, you can have different categories that would help to better organize this possible event.

Also, this way, you can actually organize more than one location. While New York City is THE location I'D love to go to, there are probably others incapable of even going. For instance, people from the West Coast, though, I'm sure there are people who are willing to sacrifice several hundreds and kill hours on the trains and/or planes they'd have to catch to get there.

There is also the factor of expenses, which can put a major black hole in any person's wallet (unless someone on this forum's a bloody rich wanker who's been holding out on us, kekekeh~). But I know, I know, Deena's probably got that covered too, which makes it all the more exciting.

There is also the problem of the amount of people who would attend just one event. Would that cause problems for whoever may volunteer has the host/hostess of the event? Or rather, just the one who knows the most of said areas?

I know it'll be ages until y'all actually 'set' the meetup in stone, but hey, one can never be too prepared, no?

And one more thing: I'm just suggesting, as I'm sure that all our off topic comments bump out the essential information. I know, I've contributed immensely to that.

Postby LostD » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:06 am

Naw, I hear where you're coming from. Just it's good to know how many people are interested, just so we know what the greatest extent this thing can go at. As for NY, we had people try and make "mini-meets" for both coasts, but they kinda fell through. We lack committed organizers (Deena excluded, of course)

That being said, I don't suppose I can ask what progress has been made? I feel like a hole in an ass for saying "lez-do-dis!" and vanishing on y'all, but I'm back and willing to pick up the pace.

Postby GnSz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:00 am

*chuckles* I see. That or it's just a hassle to look through certain areas if you're not a local in said area. Otherwise, you'd be movin' about in the dark. So essentially, yes, location. But, what locations HAD been decided long ago? I recall Florida being one of them in your first post.

Well, as for progress, we just know that Deena's intrigued a good few, but the time markers for those posts were quite a while back. We don't know what changes have happened, and unless we like, PM EVERY RPer who you think would be interested, it's really hard to get an attendance. From what I can recall however, TheLivingCouch, Cascade, Aneri, Hana (who we have not heard from for ages), and Sentios (due to a question about garages?).

But that's just an assumption, because I don't really think too many people go to this topic anymore. Because a lot of the posts are just, well, off the main topic. *shrugs* This itself has sparked my interest, always wanted to go to NYC, or rather, just to see what it's like there. But yes, money's an issue either way, hard to save when you're in college till even that time.

Postby Mathias » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:54 am

I don't foresee myself going unless I win the lottery.

Postby Deena » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:36 am

Really, I can write up a budget itinerary easily for a NYC trip. I go to the same places a lot, but NYC pretty easy to navigate compared to other cities, so adding in places like the wax museum or gallery hopping in Chelsea would be more than easy to do. Still, people need to start saying where they want to go. Hotels and such, I can help do research in the general area and give girls a place to stay for the week, but you guys will have to do booking and such yourselves. There's a Red Roof Inn in the Edison area that's nice(it's a very safe suburban area), and I'd personally recommend not booking a hotel in the city itself as they get really expensive, but apart from that, I can't tell you much more than the internet itself can tell you. I'm personally offering a roof over the head of any girls who are going(which I don't expect to be over a handful since...there's probably like 2 girls that are actually going, amirite?XD), and becoming something of a tour guide, as well as writing up a potential itinerary.

In other words, anyone interested will have to plan and pay for their trip to NYC and hotels THEMSELVES(because each person is coming from somewhere different through different travel methods, and everyone has a different line they draw for budget vs. comfort), though I will help answer any questions or help look up anything you might need as I have traveled before and know people who travel on budgets.

My suggestion is that if you're really interested in going on this trip, start discussing what you want to do in NYC, and name specific places you want to go to. I'll add them to a list, look up the locations, and plan the most efficient route for a day to day schedule. Don't forget to add where you want to eat, too. I'll try to have an estimate for total expenses and write down any entrance fees or whatnot.

I've noticed some discussion about disliking airplanes, but there's the option of buses and, as Ginny mentioned, Amtrak. I personally have had little trouble with Amtrak myself. I tend to get motion sickness on long rides, but I never had a problem on the train, even on an overnight one(had some wicked awesome dreams on an overnight train, too8D). As for buses, it really depends. I recommend not booking a ticket for a weekend ride, since it'll probably get crowded, and you don't want some old guy drooling and snoring on your shoulder the whole way. Personally, I recommend taking the train. Trains tend to be a little more comfortable and spacious for long distance travel in my opinion.

I guess I'll make a forum for this, since there's a lot of topics to discuss. Give me a few days.:3

Postby Sock-It-To-Me » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:36 am

I'll come if I find a plane ticket on the same day, otherwise i'm out.
~Sony -"Fool we got PSP,Hanna Montana, and Final Fantasy. What you got? new camera! Sucka pls what the fuck does yo DS have? What does that piece of shit do uh!
~Nintendo - "It prints money BIATCH! OH SNAPPP!!

Postby Glahardt » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:50 pm

NYC?
I'm in.

Postby Hana » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:38 am

It looks like the job situation isn't going to pan out for me having the moolah for 2010, but in the case that I get a windfall, I'm still hoping to come...
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Gigafist » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:19 pm

Hope you don't mind me coming along Deena.

Postby Deena » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:44 pm

I'm actually taking a family friend to NYC tomorrow. I'll be planning a non-weeaboo itinerary for the day, so when it's done, I'll post it.

Postby Tuor » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:16 pm

yay!
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mathias » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:08 pm

No money. Can't make.

Postby Deena » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:59 pm

Nice to have you along, Giga. Don't get scared off by my harshness. It's for the greater good.8D

Anyhow, I see a lot of people are posting about not being able to make it. If you know for sure you can't make it, then please don't post here. It just adds clutter, and I'm not a mod that can delete posts at will. If you don't have any money, I can't help you. Go get a job and lrn2save.

While I'm pretty sure this won't happen until 2011, we still haven't agreed on a date for this meetup, but I'm hoping everyone that's interested has started saving up. The reason the date is set so far away is so that those of you who need to save up a lot of money in order to get here can get started on that. If you haven't, start putting money in a piggy bank right now if you intend to show up, and add to that fund consistently. I can't even begin to stress how important that is for those of you with money issues. The further away you live from NYC, the more money you would have to save up, obviously.

As for money saving tips for the desperately poor that are still interested in coming, since that seems to be the biggest issue right now...

If you have a job, separate a small percentage of your paycheck for the trip. If you do this for every paycheck you get, it will add up by the time we get to the day of the meetup. However, make sure you don't touch even a single penny of that savings for the trip. Even if you're dying, don't touch that money!

If you don't have a job, scrimp and save wherever you can. Skip buying lunches and pocket your lunch money. (This is how I paid for video games for the majority of my childhood.>_>) Anytime family members or whatnot sends you money, save it. If you find five bucks on the sidewalk, save it. Don't buy snacks or games or clothes; you probably don't need them as much as you think you do, and the money you save not buying stuff can go towards the meetup fund. Again, even if you're dying, don't touch that money!

There are plenty of other tips for saving money, but they're not exactly hard to find. Just Google it if you're having trouble saving money. I can't really say anything more that's not glaringly obvious, and I can't send you any money because I'm dirt poor. If you want to go to the meetup, you'll need to put some effort in yourself. I'm here to organize a meetup, not here to run a 5th grade camping trip.

Postby Deena » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:17 pm

Alright, I went to NY last Saturday. This is a proposed itinerary based on some trial and error from that trip:

- Breakfast at Penn Station. Bagels and some juice, a little under $5; there are a lot of places to eat here, so if you want something else, there are plenty of options. I suggest buying a lunch to go here before heading out to the next stop, so maybe add an extra $10, depending on how much you eat. Bought a MetroCard, $8 for 4 trips, though we only need two for this day specifically; split it with a friend if you don't care for the extra two trips. Individually, each trip costs $2.25. If you pay for the $8 MetroCard yourself, the total estimated cost so far is $23.

- From Penn Station, take subway to American Museum of Natural History, reached there by 11AM. Total cost: $2 for admission(it's pay-what-you-want8D). If you want to see the IMAX show, that's an extra $20, so it's probably not worth it unless you really want to see it. Total estimated cost so far, $25, not including IMAX.

- 2PM, ate lunch at Central Park. If you didn't buy a lunch earlier, there are street vendors around here, though whether or not you'd want to eat food from a street vendor is up to you. I've gotten a $1 hotdog and haven't died or gotten sick, so...whatever.XD If there's rain, the Natural History Museum has a cafe to eat in. Just a note, the food is horribly overpriced at the cafe, so plan accordingly. If you bought lunch earlier, then your total estimated cost so far still stands at $25.

- 3PM, Metropolitian Museum of Art. I paid $2 admission, but it's also pay-what-you-want.8D Total estimated cost: $27.

- 5:15PM, Gugenheim, also $2, it's pay-what-you-want after 5:15PM on Saturday. Took the subway back to Penn Station around 7PM. Total estimated cost: $27.

Just note that these museums are pretty big; you can probably spend a whole day at the Met.

Postby Mathias » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:34 pm

Did you go just for the sake of research?

Postby Hana » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:35 pm

Deena wrote:I'm actually taking a family friend to NYC tomorrow. I'll be planning a non-weeaboo itinerary for the day, so when it's done, I'll post it.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby bankotsu_obsessed » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:29 pm

Does a pending count as a yes? I always wanted to go to NYC, and if I get a job soon, I can save
Sig and avi are made by me

Postby Mathias » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:41 am

I'm not even sure if this is still happening.

Postby Deena » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:24 am

If people are still interested, I'll still show people around if they show up. Still, it's not like I'm going to book your hotels and flights/trains/whatever for you. All we need to do collectively is decide on a date.

Postby Hana » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:18 am

2010 is probably out for me and my crew as of now, unless we win the lottery....But I can still be hopeful for 2011.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby bankotsu_obsessed » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:42 am

I agree with Hana. I am currently having a rough time, and I should be able to get enough money by 2011.

Honestly, if people rely on Deena to book their flight and hotel, they're too lazy, and should deserve to go. I don't mean to bash, but just make a point. I'm a lazy person, but I will be responsible for my own flight and hotel room reservations.
Sig and avi are made by me

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing