Stand in/placeholder avatars for new members

Info on new stuff coming/being worked on for Snafu.
Also, post/Report bugs/problems you may find, here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Stand in/placeholder avatars for new members

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:01 am

That reminds me, how come we don't have avatar placeholders/stand-in's for new members?
"Give yourself permission to immediately walk away from anything that gives you bad vibes. There is no need to explain or make sense of it. Just trust the little inner voice when it talks to you." ~ unknown
Previous Quote
This too shall pass.

Re: Is it possible for the forum to have sound bytes?

Postby Tuor » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:14 am

Do you mean "why don't they just have an avatar by default?" or "why are there not generic ones for them to choose from?" ?
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:38 am

It's hard to word it, but to present it visually, it's something like this:
They're blank avatars that act as a stand in for actual avatars until the user edits their profile and assigns themselves one. Anyways it's just a though I had.
"Give yourself permission to immediately walk away from anything that gives you bad vibes. There is no need to explain or make sense of it. Just trust the little inner voice when it talks to you." ~ unknown
Previous Quote
This too shall pass.

Postby Tuor » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:41 am

So the first option then.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:45 am

Close enough to my original question I guess. I'm not too insightful on this stuff, but yeah how come we don't have these by default?
Previous Quote
This too shall pass.

Re: Stand in/placeholder avatars for new members

Postby Tuor » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:52 am

(Split this into a new topic so easier for Thomas to notice, in case he wants to do something with this)

I don't really know, the forums have just never had that feature, and no one has ever asked about it. *shrug*
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:07 am

Tuor wrote:(Split this into a new topic so easier for Thomas to notice, in case he wants to do something with this)

Oh cool thanks. Well then, I'll leave the forum to you guys for now and check back when there are any updates to my other thread. Hope to hear from Thomas soon when he has time. Thanks for responding everyone.
Previous Quote
This too shall pass.

Postby Q.U. » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:24 am

We want to encourage having avatars, not necessarily force people to have one.
That's facebook style move. In here one should be able to go without an avatar and not be "punished" with a crappy default icon anyway.
At least that's my understanding as to why we don't have that.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby EagleMan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:31 am

Yeah, I'm with QU, I wouldn't want some default avatar because invariably it just has a bad connotation with it.

Postby Mir@k » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:19 am

I also prefer people to get avatars on their own, to me that is a sign of a person getting closer to a community.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Wulfespinndel » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:40 pm

Mir@k wrote:I also prefer people to get avatars on their own, to me that is a sign of a person getting closer to a community.

That's a pretty good reason.
Previous Quote
This too shall pass.

Return to Dev forum