The site is unusable.

Info on new stuff coming/being worked on for Snafu.
Also, post/Report bugs/problems you may find, here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

The site is unusable.

Postby EagleMan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:45 am

It's been largely responsible for my decrease in activity. I've mentioned it sporadically but it seems like no one else has had the issue. I've been hoping it was just something that goes away but the issue exists across browsers and add-ons do not affect the issue. About a third of the time a page loads successfully. Another third the page takes 30-60s to load. Another third the page loads up but only displays the top half of the page. Attempting to refresh only infrequently helps. Posting on mobile works fine but my phone is tiny and browsing it exclusively with Snafu would be a major pain, this is also my only computer. No other sites I go to are affected like this.

The only specific cause I can think of is that on one forum I administrate, there is an option set to "discourage" users, where the site randomly fails or takes a while to load on purpose. It's so a user leaves on their own rather than you banning them and them avoiding that and you go around in a circle. I don't know if phpBB has that option, and I don't see why it would be set for me. The more plausible cause is something to do with my computer, since mobile browsing is not affected, but I don't see why that would exclusively affect SNAFU and nowhere else.

Either way, if you have any thoughts on how I might solve the issue, I'd appreciate hearing them. Hopefully it's something that makes me look extremely stupid for being so simple a fix. As I said I have already tested across browsers and different add-ons. The best time I can place when this issue began is when ads on the forum returned in December. I had separate issues with that in having to disable 3 different addons to use the forum, so I think I didn't really pay much mind to this issue believing it would go away, but it has continued since that was undone.

I never made too large a fuss about it since I couldn't figure out any leads on it and when I brought it up no one mentioned having similar problems, but I've lost patience with trying to browse the forum with this issue.

Re: The site is unusable.

Postby Sigment » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:56 am

Actually, Eagle, if I'd known it was happening, I'd have mentioned that it's happening to me too. Honestly thought my computer was the problem.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:57 am

Well, thanks for bringing the issue up. It's likely that some others are dealing with the problem as well.

We do not have such a feature as a "discourage user" button like that, or else i would have abused the heck out of it. So those fears can be rested.

I have no clue what could be causing your problem though. I am wondering if the ad block (if you are using one) and the way the ads are in the site could be causing an issue.

Sounds like the problem could be with us now.

Postby Warbear » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:00 am

Tuor has brought it up to Thomas so hopefully there's something that can be done about it.
I am thou... Thou art I... From the sea of thy soul, I come...
Soulchild: u thnk evry thng stupid.
DaCrum: Warbear, why did you suddenly become pretty cool? Stop it.
BR:love is just a boner everyone is looking to fart on warbear
Wild Card

Postby John Doe » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:03 pm

well its a good point, you're making I think this website needs to be updated thats all. its about time though lol.

Postby Hiryu » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:48 am

How long have you been sneaking about to know what you're talking about, you just joined today.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Warbear » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:27 am

"it's about time this site that was updated a little while ago was updated"
I am thou... Thou art I... From the sea of thy soul, I come...
Soulchild: u thnk evry thng stupid.
DaCrum: Warbear, why did you suddenly become pretty cool? Stop it.
BR:love is just a boner everyone is looking to fart on warbear
Wild Card

Return to Dev forum