Stories in Books & Video Games (and a plea for help)

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Stories in Books & Video Games (and a plea for help)

Postby Wulfespinndel » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:55 am

So a few minutes ago, I have decided that, thanks to my English 101 teacher, that I would try to get into reading books once more now that my class has went over the hook of various personal, written non-fiction made by various individuals, and while I did not like some, I felt that they still had some good appeal regardless. That said, I only rushed through a few book reviews, and have read summaries, but so far, I still find it quite hard for me to get into books.

This is where video games come in. I find that stories being told in video games for the most part tend to appeal to me the most than a lot of books these days. I have not bought or read any video games and books for a long time, so there is not much for me to say as far as analyzing stories are concerned. But I don't understand; what makes the stories of video games more interesting than the books I see at my local library? In recent time, we've not only had games that take us to the farther reaches of the galaxy, or at different places around the world or in different dimensions, but we've even had video games with great storytelling like Heavy Rain taking place in a rather realistic setting, and perhaps many other games that I have completely forgotten as I grew older and out of touch with the industry.

I will be honest with you. I would rather play video games not just to have fun and enjoy a quality gaming experience, but to also get into a fair amount of story that developers may put it, which is entirely optional if you ask me. But because of my English 101 Teacher, I'm going to try once more, to encourage myself into at least getting into just one good book. So please, can you help me out?

Oh, and as a bonus, what's your take on stories being told in both video games and books?
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Re: Stories in Books & Video Games (and a plea for help)

Postby Tuor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:12 am

So throughout the course did you just cheat and not actually read the works assigned to you?
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby GrimlyLoveGunner » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:19 pm

I'mma gonna be as optimistic as I can about this- Sooooo....

Okay, so you're saying you like the stories told in video games more then the stories told through books and novels?

Makes sense. Video games are action-packed and fast-paced. You might not realize it, but all that scenery and pretty colors are what make have the story. In a book, you gotta wait and read through someone trying to describe that.

This isn't meant to be rude, but you preferring not to do that is due to a shortened attention span. Brought about by the hyper-activity from a love of gaming.

But books are still written to be able to catch your attention regardless of that. Do you want non-fiction or fiction? If you're looking for non-fiction, I could only think for you to read diaries or bio's of a historical point you like.

But for fiction, teen novels are for you. They're generally light and humorous. Some of them are kiddy, but still a pleasant read. If that's just what you want to have.

The most adult I can think to suggest is Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Which has a big fanbase and lots of spinoffs.

Then there's Artemis Fowl. Which is like Die Hard with fairies. If you can get past fairies and appreciate that these fairies are using hi-tech gadgets, you should enjoy yourself. And it would at least be a start.

Personally I wanna suggest The Silver Sequence. A trilogy book about kids discovoring they have absurd super powers and they all start collecting around a certain abandoned town.

Those again, are all young adult novels. And I'm a girl so my tastes are probably different. Sadly I can't think of too much more, but if you wanna get into reading, I really do suggest you start with lighter, comical reading just to be able to get into things.

I can't think of anything gritty like Heavy Rain in novel form. That's what movies and video games are for. To tell stories so raw and real that you need to see it to believe it.

For a better catalog then just what-I-can-think-of-right-now. Ask your librarian for the kind of story you have in mind.

I would suggest some Stephen King classics. But those are real lengthy and male authors tend to take ages describing every little detail. And if getting lost in something like you might in a video game is the problem, it might not be what you want.

I know there's a lot of stories that probably have what you're looking for, but I can't think of the titles. So yeah, ask the Teen head librarian if they have an idea for something.

As for stories in video games. Meh, I just like stories. In every form. Movies the least, actually. Hard to get exactly what you want in just an hour and a half. In video games I tend to be wrapped in game play and riddle-solving. And in books, I tend to not have time to read.

Hence why I'm on snafu reading comic books. 8D

Actually, here's an idea. Make your English teacher proud and write a story that you'd like to read somewhere. it doesn't have to be good. Just write and outline or summary if you want. It's sure to get you a few points.

But yeah, you gotta look a bit to find the book you want. Don't just be called away by the video games when you start to lose interest.

BOOKS R FUN. 8D
~My Art thread with picture & info on my Fairly Odd Parents Doujinshi!~
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55061
Iwannabeyourtldrbitch

Postby Tuor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:04 pm

Something I immediately thought of bookwise when you talked about heavy rain was the "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" series, pretty dark gritty stuff from what I remember. You could also read the Hannibal books.

I think Grimly is right about pointing you toward young adult novels since a lot of times. Their narratives are more like video game narratives in being fast paced.

If you could narrow down genres you like a bit more that'd help
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:11 am

Tuor wrote:So throughout the course did you just cheat and not actually read the works assigned to you?

What does that have to do with my situation? And besides, those are way better than anything else I'll ever try to read, so you know I appreciate them! At the same time I don't want to read anymore classics, at least not yet. I want something new and fresh...maybe that's why books were never interesting to me like they were before when I was a child.

But for fiction, teen novels are for you. They're generally light and humorous. Some of them are kiddy, but still a pleasant read. If that's just what you want to have.

Hey I disagree, I've been trying to get into those ever since I was a Freshman in high school. All I ever got were the popular books. But don't take what I said the other way though, you seem to know your way around books fairly well at least.

In any case, I hope I can continue to keep my spirits up so I can find a book I'm genuinely interested in. I'm exhausted of playing video games, let alone buying them.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby CTCFirebird » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:38 pm

Interesting Topic!

You could be more of a visual type, Wulfespinndel. I think that you should try to train yourself in getting back into books. Maybe you not finding anything interesting in a book is that you can't visualize what's going on in the story once read and could possibly be not into so much words per page throughout the book.

I trained myself in stuff like that, but I am a visual type. In school, I'm not quick on taking notes, but when I read something, I try to visualize in what's going on in the story. Same thing with a movie... When I watch a film, I try to analyze EVERYTHING on what's going on so that way I wouldn't miss anything. Plus, as its going on every scene, I try to think as if I'm reading a book.

Thing is, is that you have to put your mind to it. I dunno maybe reading some fan fiction's might help you and then you can work your way up. Hopefully, that may work!
I am the Winner

Postby Tuor » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:52 pm

Wulfespinndel wrote:
Tuor wrote:So throughout the course did you just cheat and not actually read the works assigned to you?

What does that have to do with my situation? And besides, those are way better than anything else I'll ever try to read, so you know I appreciate them! At the same time I don't want to read anymore classics, at least not yet. I want something new and fresh...maybe that's why books were never interesting to me like they were before when I was a child.

Hey I disagree, I've been trying to get into those ever since I was a Freshman in high school. All I ever got were the popular books. But don't take what I said the other way though, you seem to know your way around books fairly well at least.

In any case, I hope I can continue to keep my spirits up so I can find a book I'm genuinely interested in. I'm exhausted of playing video games, let alone buying them.

I guess I'm just questioning how much you really tried to get into the books if you just looked up summaries and whatnot. Although, then again, some people just don't like classic books that much. To me it seems like you'd benefit from reading some books that are a bit off the beaten path, since those seem to be what you've mostly been exposed to.

Any idea of what sort of genres you think you might like? I have a book in mind that pretty different from mainstream stuff but I don't know if you like supernatural thriller type stuff
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:42 am

Supernatural Thriller sounds like something I've never heard of. Hit me with your best shot, and we'll see. Wait, that is a genre right? I'll credit you for coming up with the term if it isn't. In any case, as long as it's something different, then it'll do. But please, do the best you can to recommend anything because I'm a huge pessimist; I'm too stubborn for my own good, and that's never a good thing.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Tuor » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:49 am

Check out "John Dies At The End" it's a bit supernatural, and bit weird and creepy, and apretty hilarious writing style
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby GrimlyLoveGunner » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:00 pm

One thing I think of when I think of is 'Breath' That involves a bunch of ghost kids and a psycho ghost mother. But the authors name escapes me. I think it was the same writer as The Silver Sequence.

There's also Ink Heart. But that's maybe more Fantasy-Adventure.

Uhhhhhhm....... Ack, really can't think of too many titles that seem appropriate.

There's one book I have somewhere about a teenage dude who finds out he's a descendant of a supernatural royal clan and shiz. It's called like.... The.... uhm..... Warrior's... Sword? something. Dammit. >.>

Oh, hey, maybe the Vampires Apprentice series?

All I ever got were the popular books.

I hear 'popular' and I have a list of terrifying vampire romances zipping though my head.

Ick. The things them yuggin's are into these days. XD
~My Art thread with picture & info on my Fairly Odd Parents Doujinshi!~
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55061
Iwannabeyourtldrbitch

Postby CTCFirebird » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:21 pm

You can try books written by Greg Cox, John Grisham, and/or Tom Clancy. Those might catch your interest. Usually, books have a way of starting off slow - just like a movie and video game, but all are connected that way. Then, later it gets interesting.

Not sure what genre you're interested in, but everyone has a preference.

Greg Cox wrote the novel for Batman: The Dark Knight Rises (if you're into superhero stuff) I believe he also wrote the Man of Steel novel as well.
Tom Clancy wrote the novels with war and had video games based off his books.
John Grisham wrote novels dealing with Law and Politics.

If anything, go to a library or a Barnes & Noble and go ask someone who works there a few questions of good books you might be interested in. They will ask you questions as to what type of stuff you might be into and then they'll recommend something to you.

It's just that you have to do this for yourself and I give you credit as to trying to get back into gear with reading books and asking questions about what we recommend to catch your interest. It all depends on your personal preferences of what genre you're looking for. Some of the stuff that we're trying to recommend may not be suitable for your interests. So, that's why I would advise you to go and see what it is you are interested in. Also, having a dictionary is really handy with the words used in books. So, if you don't know what they mean, you can always check it. Your computer can help you with that and can help you with finding a genre that would suit your interest. If you STILL don't know, you can go to a book store or library and describe to the person who works there of what you're looking for in a story or whatever. The employee will be happy to help you out.

You know when people read The Lord of the Rings that was written by J.R.R Tolkien, they pictured the Orks and whoever villain there looked different. Even when they re-read the the book, they pictured something different each time. Then, when the film came out, the people didn't really pictured how things how you saw them to look like how they did. Most people believed that the novel was the first to introduce Elves into the story. Some believed that Elves were used in stories before that. But it all relies on imagination when it comes to reading a book and creativity.

Who knows... Books by Stephen King or Dan Brown might catch your interest.
I am the Winner

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:07 pm

Actually, when I saw the movie, the Orcs did not match up to my conceptions at all. Having grown when I did, my mental image of the orcs was basically the one from the 1980's cartoon Hobbit Return of the King (short, sqaut, slit pupilled eyes horns, etc.) and very little would shake that. And I remember actually yelling at the screen when I saw how the movie portrayed the Witch King (I think it was sometihng like "You have spent millons on to portray characters with CGI already, and you skip it on the one character where, textually you'd NEED IT!")
I wish I could reccomend some books, but given that I am of the other kind of reader, the kind who can't put books down and has TOO MUCH imagination and creativity, I have a nagging suspicion that any book that pleased me would probably turn you off for beeing too complex and too much like the kind of stuff your classes forced you to read. Though even I had my limits. While I am normally OK with the whole sword and sorcery type stuff, I HATED E.R. Eddison's Worm Ouroborous trilogy (actually I never got past the first book) even though it is usually put on the same pedestal as Lord of the Rings (I found the pseudo-Elizabethan language to be overly gimmiky, and the twist at the end of the first book basically mocks all of the effort the characters went through) I like early Sci Fi but when I read David Lindsay's A Voyage to Arcturus I kept thinking that to understand it would probably require a college course in Philosopy with a heavy emphasis on Wittgenstein. And while I GREW UP on Tolkien, Literally (dad would read me the stuff for bedtime stories). I still find The Silmarillion dull as ditchwater in most parts, as well as full of many negative memories from the folks over at the Barrow Downs (most of whom love the volume above all others, and think that those that do not have simply not approaced it in the right way; reading it as if it was the Bible and you were a old scool divinty student (i.e. not reading it once and then moving on, but reading it cover to cover again and again until you can quote the whole thing from memory) So at best I can put the above refernces as WARNINGS, books you should NOT try to read if you are having problems.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:50 pm

...we should start a book thread. Is there anyway we can establish one?

Thanks for your input guys. I'd like to see just a little more before I make up my mind.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Tuor » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:13 pm

Wulfespinndel wrote:...we should start a book thread. Is there anyway we can establish one?

Go for it, why not? That'd be cool.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:36 pm

Yah. Book threads are neat.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)