Let's talk about the Gaming Industry.

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Let's talk about the Gaming Industry.

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:03 am

First and foremost, this is definitely not the best place to post a thread like this. However, of all of the section in this part of the forum this is a very active section, and Snafu Gaming and the Snafu section are no longer a good place to start a discussion like this. I really don't know if you guys know people like Jim Sterling and ReviewTechUSA and whatnot, but I want to reflect for a moment. If you've watched Jimquisition like I have (thanks Guardian) and have maybe thought about the Gaming Industry itself at one point then maybe you won't mind thinking about it just for longer?

Right now, there has been a number of mishaps and mischievous events that took place over the past few weeks, most notably, Fez II's cancellation, the amount of sexist harassment towards one of the individuals part of the Mighty No. 9 Community, Garry's Incident & Guise of the Wolf, Xbox One DRM, Candy Crush Saga "candy" and "saga" word copyright, Free to Play, Gamer Entitlement, restricted creative freedom, so forth and so on. Feel free to say anything else.

Anyways, please take your time to watch the video and please post your thoughts. Lately I have been feeling more...down about playing video games than usual. And I want to ask, what do you believe, not think, believe is the current state of video games at this moment in time? What's good and what's bad, and what the fuck is wrong with it right now? Hope to hear from all of you soon.
"Give yourself permission to immediately walk away from anything that gives you bad vibes. There is no need to explain or make sense of it. Just trust the little inner voice when it talks to you." ~ unknown
Previous Quote
This too shall pass.

Re: Let's talk about the Gaming Industry.

Postby The Mad Doctor » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:02 am

The game industry, like any other, is flawed. Games are being designed so that any person can get into them, micro transactions in fully priced games, early access being drawn out for so fucking long. I figured that the best way for those games to stop happening, is to not fucking buy them. Humans accept anything that's hung in their face, and those are game developers and publishers holding the fishing pole. When they realized the cheap bait they've been using isn't working anymore, they will put in some actual fucking effort to make good bait. Don't you think that the publishers and developers aren't the only ones causing problems. The reason why there's so much piracy is because of how much people pirate, and the effect that they have on their sales. But they need to realize that they are trying too hard, and understand that the gamer has needs too, or they won't buy their games and pirate them instead.
Awaken child and embrace the glory of your jimmies. Know that we are the triune, the eternal will of rustling, and that you are created to serve us.
Shhh no tears only nightmares now

Postby Lolwutpear_126 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:49 am

I think a lot of factors are involved for why the gaming industry changed so much over the past decades.

First of all, gaming used to be for a much smaller audience. Game developers and publishers knew their audience better, and knew what kinds of preferences their customers had. Nowadays games are everywhere, in every store, for every age, targeted at about anyone. Consequence is that the audience has become so broad, so vague, so 'unknown', that developers and publishers simply don't know their audience anymore and thus have to take a common denominator and casualize their games so that about everyone can play them, not just those 'nerds' from back in the days who'd rather lock themselves up in their room to be able to spend hours on end to beat that one specific level. And I feel that that is part of the reason why games have become easier and less challenging, because they have to be beatable even by the most average kid in the class, so to speak. It's also what's taken the fire out of modern games, because they all look and feel similiar, almost alike to each other.

Because gaming has become much more apparent and is targeted for a much broader audience, and because capitalism is always looking for products to milk, disgusting things like DLC's and micro transactions have come into existence. Because now also businessfolks have realised that they can milk these products, as there is a much broader interest in them nowadays. And no, expansion packs are NOT the same as DLC's, because the former actually gave you some real content, while DLC's nowadays add only a couple of hours of gaming content or some silly items in your backpack. Games need to make money, I know that, but there is a difference between actually delivering quality and just milking the customer for all he's worth, milking that passion and interest the customer has for the game. EA is the prime example: Just take a look at how many DLC's in total there are for games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age. And especially don't forget the Sims games. Can we still call these examples 'games', or are they mere products people can be whimsical about? Whims, which need to be soothed by throwing money out of the window just to see a couple of extra scenes, or to appease your craving need to have collected everything out there and own the 'full' game, which actually should've been a full game from the start? If it weren't for the public outcry concerning Mass Effect 3's shabby ending, I would bet that EA wouldn't have made the alternative ending free to download. Not at all.

Then there's the audience itself, which also has changed over the years. People nowadays have an opinion about everything, and are easily aggravated when their opinions get taken into question by others. It's one of the consequences of having all of these social media around: they encourage us to publish every fucking little detail about our miserable lives and share it with the world. I remember when gaming was still about gaming, and not about whether a game included homosexual romances or characters from another race. It just didn't matter. It really didn't matter. People didn't make a fuss about those things. Nowadays gaming companies almost literally get bombarded if they DARE to leave out homosexual romances or black characters, or if they DARE to make a black character be the 'bad' guy. Might be a consequence of political correctness gone wrong, I don't know, but honestly, when I was playing Baldur's Gate, for example, I didn't care, I honestly didn't give a fuck about the races of my party members. Nowadays, and again EA and Bioware are the best examples in this, homosexuals have to be everywhere, romances have to be as detailed as possible, you have to be allowed to fuck about everyone, and so on and so on. It really is making me sick to see how games get twisted every little corner and turn just to appease the little whimsical demands of people who obviously are very frustrated with their real life. It really is coming to the point games get spoiled by such things.

So yeah, in short:

1) Gaming has become more apparent and is focused at a broader audience -> games have to be adapted and casualized to meet the demands of this audience
2) Game developers and publishers don't know their audience anymore -> games have to appeal to some common denominator
3) The audience has become more vocal and wants to see its demands get appeased by developers and publishers -> political correctness slowly making its way also in games

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:03 pm

Wulfespinndel wrote:the amount of sexist harassment towards one of the individuals part of the Mighty No. 9 Community

All I really have to say about that was the critical cries for blood from the community weren't initially because she was a woman. It was because she knew absolutely nothing about the franchise, the character, or the community, yet wanted to speak to the community on behalf of the franchise. It was perfectly reasonable for everyone to get up in arms, because she was not qualified in the slightest, deleted tweets, locked threads, and blatantly admitted the only reason she had her position was because her Boyfriend gave it to her, before she too deleted even that tweet and all threads relating to its discussion. True story by the way.

Not to mention the absolute hilarity of her "concept art" and her saying that it may actually make it into the game. A ginger female Beck got people very scared. The debacle sank to new lows with "Dudebros" joining in on the hate, trying to smack her down because she was a girl, not because she was- and still is, completely unqualified for her position.

The main point people tried to make was that this was a Kickstarter Program, not a massive corporation, it was NOT self-funding. They felt that their game (And it IS "THEIR" game) that they are funding with their own money, one such example once donated $6K, felt like the game was no longer in their best interests and it started pandering to the SJW crowd so they retracted their money, causing another whirlwind of people once again misunderstanding the situation. A bunch of white knights thinking they are refunding their money because "Somewhere, some girl is on the team" when in reality, it was because a myriad of things. You don't just casually toss around six thousand dollars. There was more critical thought involved. There was more going on both sides than just "Her ruining the game" or "People being Sexist."

There always is.

The entire event can't be boiled down to "sexist harassment towards one of the individuals part of the Mighty No. 9 Community." Not to mention what Lolwutpear said in her third of many well detailed main points.
Lolwutpear_126 wrote:3) The audience has become more vocal and wants to see its demands get appeased by developers and publishers -> political correctness slowly making its way also in games
Bird oft Error

Postby Mir@k » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:49 pm

Good thing we have things like steam and all the indie developers that make this world a little nicer.
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Twitter

"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:50 am

But we also have things like Origin to remind us of how horrible things can be.

There is no winning in games anymore. You just lose slower. :(
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Blaycon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:15 pm

Lolwutpear_126 wrote:Because gaming has become much more apparent and is targeted for a much broader audience, and because capitalism is always looking for products to milk, disgusting things like DLC's and micro transactions have come into existence.

I totally agree with this, in my opinion DLC's have become like a cancer to gaming, there are exceptions of course.
Skyrim to me is a complete game to my taste, sure it has a lot of bugs and glitches (which I find quite fun most of the time) and the main quest could have been a bit more detailed, but in the end, its fun and I've spent a lot of hours playing it which is all i ask of a game. Then, as expected, Bethesda came up with the DLC's, these were expansions, and I actually bought all of them because I liked them. But then there're these other DLC's that are just ridiculous like the EA ones. Pay to watch a scene that you can actually watch for free at youtube? :unsure:

Online gaming? EA must make profit from here too. My family does not have that much money, but my brothers and I can afford to buy games with some frequency. We try to buy new games as much as possible to help the companies that make them since we appreciate their work. But I remember that time when we went to buy Battlefield 3, we thought it was a good idea to buy a pre-owned game, since it was a bit cheaper. Big mistake, to play online for free we needed the code which was of course, already used, $10 for each account you want to play online with. Of course there had to be a way to make sure they got the money, but even if we bought it "new", the idea of sharing the account so we can all (3 of us) play online is not quite good. This may be childish, but we all wanted to have our own account, compete to see who could get better kill-death ratio or even reach higher levels faster.
We ended up selling it and buying CoD MW3 and it was still cheaper than buying the pass for each of us.

Now that CoD MW3 was mentioned, we can step into the problem I found here, and I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about. It was MW2 with different maps. There are many games like this, similar to others or plain remakes, most say that all ideas have been used. I don't agree, there's always something new, something unused.

Finally (and before I turn my first post into an essay), the audience may be quite unknown to them now, but that doesn't mean they have to make a game impossible to lose, as mentioned in the video, a lot of us are looking for a challenge. Sure the story, the graphics and all that stuff may be great, but if you don't have that feeling of accomplishment, its like watching a movie.

Postby OrangeBee » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:49 am

DLC are dumb, cheap way to make some more money

Half the games coming out are repetitive

Apparently the people who make videos games moms didn't tell them that too much is a bad thing so now we have things like modern warhalo battlfield 64 because people want o play the same thing again, but with a different plot

GTAV is something of the same thing, but with more things added in and the GRAPHICS, im surprised half the gaming community haven't realized that CALL OF DUTY is the same thing but with pretty graphics and gimics like dogs.

Also no matter how hard you try to get views on youtube that girl who plays COD and Minecraft will ALWAYS get more subscribers and views then you, even if she knows little to nothing about any other game. That's like saying you're the smartest kid in school and people go to you for tutoring but everyone like the jocks more because they play football when they know little to nothing else
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

Exodis: Image us as the Camelot, the guy going as a troll/Krest, and Hiroko as... the bunny.
ShitPoster

Postby Lolwutpear_126 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:59 am

OrangeBee wrote:DLC are dumb, cheap way to make some more money

Half the games coming out are repetitive

Apparently the people who make videos games moms didn't tell them that too much is a bad thing so now we have things like modern warhalo battlfield 64 because people want o play the same thing again, but with a different plot

GTAV is something of the same thing, but with more things added in and the GRAPHICS, im surprised half the gaming community haven't realized that CALL OF DUTY is the same thing but with pretty graphics and gimics like dogs.

Also no matter how hard you try to get views on youtube that girl who plays COD and Minecraft will ALWAYS get more subscribers and views then you, even if she knows little to nothing about any other game. That's like saying you're the smartest kid in school and people go to you for tutoring but everyone like the jocks more because they play football when they know little to nothing else

That's because girls got boobs and boobs are pretty much the only thing that some gamers associate with a female human being. Sad but true.

Mir@k wrote:Good thing we have things like steam and all the indie developers that make this world a little nicer.

The only good thing about Steam is that it provides a place to put all of your games together and that it often offers great deals on games.

But when you go someplace without internet and you forget to put Steam on 'offline' mode, your games become unavailable.

Also games with the Steam logo on the back require a Steam account to be played. This was the case for me when I bought a hard copy of Skyrim. I first had to go through the hassle of creating an account, password activation and other dumb stuff before I was finally able to play the damn game.

Also, most of the profits made on games on Steam go towards Valve, and NOT towards the original developers of the game. This was the case when Baldur's Gate: Enhance Edition was being made. As soon as it also became available on Steam,mMore than half of the profits on that game went to Valve, while the left-over scraps were for the original developers, who already had a small budget to work with at the moment.

Steam's handy, but it also has its downsides, let's not forget about that either.
Last edited by Blood Lord on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double Posting. User warned.

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:38 am

Actually you can play games offline on steam.
Awaken child and embrace the glory of your jimmies. Know that we are the triune, the eternal will of rustling, and that you are created to serve us.

Postby Lolwutpear_126 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:31 pm

The Mad Doctor wrote:Actually you can play games offline on steam.

I know that. As I mentioned in the following sentence:

"But when you go someplace without internet and you forget to put Steam on 'offline' mode, your games become unavailable."

Postby Birdofterror » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:56 pm

OrangeBee wrote:Apparently the people who make videos games moms didn't tell them that too much is a bad thing so now we have things like modern warhalo battlfield 64 because people want o play the same thing again, but with a different plot

I laughed.

Though I must add that they all in fact have the same plot.

Except for Halo, where instead of Russians, it's Russian Aliens in space.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:07 pm

GUYS.

Don't double post, seriously, I've had enough of it.

Continue on.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:53 pm

Birdofterror wrote:
OrangeBee wrote:Apparently the people who make videos games moms didn't tell them that too much is a bad thing so now we have things like modern warhalo battlfield 64 because people want o play the same thing again, but with a different plot

I laughed.

Though I must add that they all in fact have the same plot.

Except for Halo, where instead of Russians, it's Russian Aliens in space.

And zombie aliens, and and ancient aliens.

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:57 pm

Must be doing something right though as it is selling very well.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby OrangeBee » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:35 pm

Call of duty: America is the good guy (even when it seems like they aren't) who are kickass bombass motherfuckers and the enemy is some commi african place without a name.
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

Exodis: Image us as the Camelot, the guy going as a troll/Krest, and Hiroko as... the bunny.
ShitPoster

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:55 pm

You play as a Brit as the main role in the Modern Warfare games.

Which I'm pretty sure you are pointing at the more modern CoD releases, instead of the ones focused on WW2.

Point still stands. It's selling, it's working.

If it wasn't working, they would be doing something else.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby OrangeBee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:50 am

That's just how it's turning out to me
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

ShitPoster

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:19 am

I honestly like the first modern warfare game.

Postby OrangeBee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:32 pm

How about that Beyond 2 souls
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

ShitPoster

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:12 pm

I don't care about PS esclusives, put your hand down.

Postby OrangeBee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:39 pm

No, we have to talk about how bad that game is
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

ShitPoster

Postby Lolwutpear_126 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:10 am

OrangeBee wrote:No, we have to talk about how bad that game is

Guise. Please stay on-topic. You can always make some kind of 'OMFG WHY DOES THIS GAEM EVEN EXIST' topic or somesuch.

Unless the game you are talking about is a good example of how the gaming industry is going down.

Postby Saint Soul » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Nintendo and sage from 06 to now.
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby CTCFirebird » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:00 pm

Wait... I'm into this thing as you can see in my banner the experiences I've had with the programs and the model. One of my friends did the environment modeling for Turbine - Infinite Crisis game. How exactly is the gaming industry going down? And what game industry is going down besides Capcom?

Check out the list on here if you don't know
http://www.gamedevmap.com/

@ Saint Soul - Its Sega, not Sage, bro.
I am the Winner

Next

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)