New PpGD: " 'The Early... Year' - The 2004 Era"

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: New PpGD: " 'The Early... Year' - The 2004 Era"

Postby CTCFirebird » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:19 pm

@ Havoc - Exactly!

Maybe a next 10 years will another recap be done from this upcoming chapter that we're about to endeavor. I think this is where we should be talking about our likes and dislikes/agreements and disagreements about the PPGD. It seems appropriate to do so by sharing our thoughts and stuff.
I am the Winner

Postby ULTRADJ » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:20 pm

What I like is some of characters and the plot, just a little though. What I hate is the mystery that's been going on for ten years now. I like mysteries and know it's for the suspense of the plot, but it's been long past it's expiration date now, and it's time to crack this mystery wide open before anybody get's sick of it. I've always wanted to say this as well, but I kind of dislike Bell. I just don't get the popularity behind her or her cult following. She's a psychotic brat girl that's very dis-likable (in the bad way completely) girl, and even though she maybe "lonely" and has a stupid defective robot as a friend (GIR is funny, but he is defective, you have to admit that), I just see her as still a two dimensional character, and if I see her die dramatically in the future (which I know won't happen since so many people adore her) I wouldn't care in the least. Same goes for Dr. X since I know nothing about him or his goal, him dying would not have an effect on me. Maybe some one can enlighten be, why is Bell so popular? There are probably better Fan made Power Puff out there I guarantee it, so why is she so special to people? Was she one of the first fan one ever made?
Just Rockin

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:32 pm

I didn't know Bell was as popular as you described her.
I don't really recall any special comments or posts(at least since I've joined) that would lead to the belief that she was adored.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ULTRADJ » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:03 pm

I think I base this on the popularity she gets on deviantart more than anything. She might not be a big deal here in the forums.
Just Rockin

Postby Havoc » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:15 pm

Although I'm not super crazy about her, I like Bell because she has a lot of dept as a character. She has struggles, flaws, and personality. I find her very interesting. There's quite a lot of mystery surrounding her personality, like rather or not she's truly evil, or just misguided. As for Dr.X: I don't really know enough about to have much of an opinion about him. I'm neutral about him. I'm interested in what his story is, though.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby GrimlyLoveGunner » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:29 pm

I've always seen Bell's personality as souly 'Yandere' with a cutesy crush on GIR & Susan.

The BR humor. Oh the BR humor. Yes, I taste it.

Actually it just occurred to me- Was BR even writing for PPGD that early? I thought I read somewhere Bleedman was writing everything for a while in the beginning.
~My Art thread with picture & info on my Fairly Odd Parents Doujinshi!~
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55061
Iwannabeyourtldrbitch

Postby BeeAre » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:26 pm

Oh, no. All of this page is full of Bleedman's original wandering around. I joined during the Forgotten--I will mention this in my page comment next page.

People have said they can detect me on this page. Are there any specific examples someone could point out? I don't mind having a voice, of course, but I would like to be more aware of what that voice consists of when people read something I've made. :x
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Mad-Mutt » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:41 pm

Note: I may edit this to give better detail or continue it in a reply if you want BR.

You're humor is kind of... winky and boarder line corny. I don't mean that in a bad way.
It could be in the way the characters are drawn, but there's a sort of pointing out the obvious kind of thing to. A whole, "Oh look audience, we're in on the joke to!"
I personally find it more eye rolling than funny. But in a kind of, "Oh that BR kind of way." I don't find it annoying, there's some charm to it, I just wish I could be more involved with it. I do however enjoy your work more when you aren't trying to be funny.

Also, you reeeealy like puns and references, we all have are little loves of cheep humor, I like slap-stick myself.

That's what I feel when I look at it, some people who are more invested in this comic than I am might view it differently.
I'm kind of worried that what I said might come off as a criticism, but its far from that. Humor is subjective, I like dry humor and you prefer a kind of winky humor. The characters are somewhat self aware when something dumb or strange is happening. You also seem to have a thing for awkward humor from time to time which is something I rather like also, but I think you only do it in small doses which I think is a good move. A good example of that last one is the scene where Buttercup was in the Mayor's office and PME and she (without spoilers) came up with a rather odd plan to clear the civilians from the room.
The faces drawn on them when they're pointing out obvious flaws or addressing something the audience has probably already figured out (Mojo being kick out of the story in favor for a bobble-headed OC) can either help or not help depending on your preference or what the scene was meant to capture.

As for your writing outside of humor, you do a pretty good job at making things seem important. In PME for instance there would be these very brief scenes that would only last a few paragraphs, but in that amount of time you were able to make this feel like it wasn't a waste and there will be pay off.
The draw back of this is that if the pay off isn't good then the audience feels even more cheated. Like the whole thing about Olga a while back, she hasn't done anything important, but the writing wants the audience to think of her as important even thought again she hasn't really done anything. You're good at building up, but I'm not sure about the pay off and that's just because I've yet to see any of your work finished. However there was some pay off in PME that I enjoyed.
In PME I was invested in the story and could not stop reading it going as far as to read it in a day, but here I'm not as much into it and I'm not sure why. It could be that I (personally) just didn't like the beginning of this comic and it left a bad taste in my mouth, but I don't know.

As for your voice, I might go into more detail if you want, but your "voice" as a writer is kind of (for lack of a better word) kind of safe and inoffensive. That's not a bad thing, I'd rather you be that than you try to force in edginess. You don't do edgy and you don't try to and its good to play to your strengths. Even your darker moments feel pretty tame, but then again I have an extreme look on what's dark and what isn't so that might be a warped view point.
You're writing would have fit in well with something like the silverage only not as weird.
You have a kind of comfort zone as a writer and you don't go outside of it often, but when you do its not a disaster.

You have sort of an identity as a writer, but you've still got a ways to go before you meet your real potential.

I know what it can be like to want to meet your potential, I work hard on things as well to improve myself as well and bettering yourself is a long and frustrating process, but I think its worth it.
Last edited by Mad-Mutt on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bark

Postby ULTRADJ » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:04 pm

BR, I like your story telling sometimes, but I can see more potential in you.

You kind of drag stuff unnecessarily, during fights and some story telling. You already know all the things I said about Dr. X and Bell, so I won't be redundant and go to the fighting. I kind of like the fights, but they can be better. Like, it needs a tad more violence to them and maybe some drama sometimes, you know, spice it up a bit. Like the fight between Blossom, Bell, Sam, and Buttercup was kinda...lacking, in a way. Was it violent? Yes. But I think a tad more would've been nice, just a tad. And maybe some drama, like during the fight Bell should've had a flash back to her past to see why she follows her dad and fights for him, or at least something like that. Hell, a flash back of Sam's past, how she was built, and what drives her and why she joined the cluster would've fit so well before she died. It would've been perfect. So, that's what I have to say for now. If anyone has any questions (like people care about my posts XP) or think I should elaborate more or add more stuff to bring up more points, tell me and I'll try my best.

Edit: You see, what this comic is lacking is backstories to some of the characters. I know you said it'll come "later" because of the mystery, but every freakin' character!? Mandark was one of the few villains to have a true backstory. Backstories come during fights, before fights, maybe after fights, but during fights is the best to add to the atmosphere. There's no need for too much mystery, it feels like we're being left out in the long run. We deserve some explanations sometimes. It adds to the story and attracts readers. It really does.

I know you're trying to tell a story, but it's a good thing to let us in the mystery a little. I don't mean that you do this, but sometimes, it can be taken the wrong way when mystery is too much in a story. Some people may find it insulting because it feels like they can't be trusted. I know you have to please yourself when you do a story, it's your story after all. But you also have to please the reader as well. You're telling a tale of epic proportions to them. Make them feel welcome, let them enjoy the happy and funny moments, cry at the sad and dramatic moment, get them angry at the bad guys when they become cruel monsters, and so on. I know it can be hard to please yourself and the reader, few people have this balance down pact. Eiichiro Oda, the creator of One Piece, has this balance down pact. He's an excellent writer, and knows how to definitely please his readers and himself in so many ways, I can't begin to count. He's the perfect example and one of the few truly great story tellers. He revolutionized manga with his ultimate work. Now, do not take this the wrong way, I'm not asking you to bring the sun and moon, and strike this story with Zeus's lightening to create the ultimate story. I know how difficult it can be. You have potential, and with a crossover comic this big and diverse in characters and universe, this can be truly a great piece of work. I can see you and Bleed put your heart and soul into this story, as well as Bleed tries for the other two. I only say all this, because I'm an ammeter storyteller hoping to make it some day, to please people with my stories, and I just wanted to tell you, another great writer, all this because this is what I believe makes a great story even greater, and well you did technically ask for it. I hope I haven't offended you in any way, I just wanted to tell you and everyone this, because well, I'm a weird guy like that.
Just Rockin

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:30 pm

There has got to be an easier way to post whatever you are talking about, Ultra.

Someone get me the sparknotes on that.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Exodis » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:33 pm

Sorry Blordy, the only relevance to that post from Sparknotes are 'Into The Wild', 'To Kill a Mockingbird', and 'East of Eden'.
Hail to the Savior

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:35 pm

Exodis, I'm looking for a summary of that post.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ULTRADJ » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:00 am

In order to get my point across, and I assume Mad-Mutt had the same idea, (I don't know, ask him yourself) I needed to put as much detail as possible to explain my feelings. There's no short way of saying what I just said, sorry.
Just Rockin

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:14 am

Then what was your thesis statement?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:20 am

BR could do better, and Ulra knows how
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Havoc » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:29 am

@Ultra: Is that really what you're saying? If so: What areas do you think BR could do better in, and how?
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby BeeAre » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:34 am

ULTRADJ wrote:In order to get my point across, and I assume Mad-Mutt had the same idea, (I don't know, ask him yourself) I needed to put as much detail as possible to explain my feelings. There's no short way of saying what I just said, sorry.

This statement is a highly dubious one. However, let's focus on your previous post.

The way I run the story is not how I want to run it--it is how I run it in accordance with how Bleedman works.

I cannot communicate effectively 100% of my ideas to Bleedman, and the story's plot is ultimately up to what he decides he wants to draw, see.

In a good half a dozen situations, we've stretched what I believe to be one page into two or three. Once Bleedman decides to do this, I cannot simply tell him "we shouldn't do it". Because he's already done it, see? If I can stop him, I do. I can't always do that.

The story is not what I want all the time, but I believe that ultimately, when you read it up to the present, it doesn't drag in any significant way. That is: if we weren't updating it as infrequently as we are, and instead released it as a full story, almost all of every page would actually work together to tell the story in a more than adequate way.

Part of all the delay you feel is simply a result of how the comic's release cycle has functioned. I would honestly rather Bleedman just work on the pages for a while, and release the pages once he's gotten a buffer established of at least a few prepped so that there is a regular release. He doesn't do that, and essentially has always refused the idea of any significant form of help from other artists. Seiryuga was an exception and it ended badly.

I must work to make sure each page is interesting in and of itself as a result, and then balance that with the whole narrative.

It's a tricky thing, making sure EACH AND EVERY PAGE matters ON the day of its release, FROM the day of its release.

The medium changes the flow of the story. Serials for a long time have had to deal with this.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:23 am

I had my own opinions on that previous matter in BR's post, but I decided to delete it because I was worried I was coming off as too harsh. Basically it boiled down to how (from what I can gather) Bleedman is hard to work with and it may end up doing harm to the final product and things should be more open to compromise on his end only I went into more detail.
I also felt like the comic did kind of drag in some parts and I read it over the course of two days. Then again, I never did like the whole love triangle bullshit, so my opinion may be kind of biased in that regard.

My head wonders around on its own now and then and that's always led me down strange roads. This is why I don't like playing the critic, because I always feel bad when I do it. I feel like the point of stuff like this is more to try help others improve or give them a different perspective to see and ponder on for a few seconds, but I still feel kind of bad about it afterwards.
By this point it doesn't matter I guess, things will continue on as usual and people will either like it or hate it or just be indifferent to it.
Bark

Postby Hallow Nova » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:37 am

@Ultra
It's true that backstories for characters go a long way, and they help bring more depth to a story.
Now consider, even taking One Piece into account, backstories aren't just thrown at the readers.
The background for each character is revealed when necessary. Taking the Water 7 arc, my favorite btw :D, many fans wanted to know the story behind a few of the figure heads then. The information was leaked a little by little in the manga itself, then when larger amounts of information was needed, it was provided.    Best example, when Franky was leaving with the Strawhats, a montage of flashbacks were done for the Franky Family to emphasize what Franky was leaving and the bonds that were there.   

We don't need Bell's backstory, we have enough information on her character through current interaction to move on with her character.
When Mandark was introduced, we needed to know why he was going to go to such lengths against Dexter, so a backstory was given.
I don't know Sam well enough, but the fact her backstory hasn't been given, I assume it's either due to a lack of plot relevance or the lack of fans that know(care) about her. I think it's been mentioned that Sam would be getting a flashback, remember Sam technically isn't officially dead, she's just at death's doorstep.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ULTRADJ » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:46 am

I try to be the critic when I comes to somethings, but I'm still working on the balance of not being harsh and just stating facts. I think I'm almost there, but not quite. I try not to sound harsh when giving my opinions. I also didn't know how BR and Bleed communicate/work together until BR explained it. It probably doesn't need saying, but my posts was what I think makes a good story when you put your heart and soul into it, something BR and Bleed obviously do, and what I thought it could make it better, which, if I should crudely sum it up like Blood said I should, would probably be like this: Less drag, more backstory, less mystery, basically all that I have said before, except said in two words. This is just my opinion though, nothing more but suggestions and my thoughts i anyone wants to read them.
Just Rockin

Postby CTCFirebird » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:52 am

One of the things is that I do find Bleedman's art to be quite inspirational. His Bell character is quite the icon out there in PPGD. Naga is also an interesting character.

There are some things that I did have a problem with and that was pretty much relating to the story. Like, in the beginning, that the girls just moved to Megasville and started to have their first fight there with Dexter and all of a sudden, Blossom started taking interest in Dexter and for some reason they are sort of dating… I really didn't like that idea. I mean, I could only see Blossom and Dexter being friends and nothing more, but the thing is, is that the relationship, in my opinion, was rushed. I rather a relationship be like in the middle of the story and/or towards the end. The story kinda seem to jump from subplot to subplot and that hints that it wasn't solid. I did like Dexter and Blossom hanging out, but didn't like the fact that the girls were separated from each other and that all Blossom cared about was only what Dexter would think. To me, that didn't make any sense at all. If you're in a relationship (serious or not), who cares what that person would think? As long as you have a good relationship with that person, why can't that person understand you? As long as that person appreciates you for who you are and you doing things with family, who cares what that person think? Why should that matter what that person think? Why is it so important? Doesn't make any sense…

Things get interesting with Blossom finding things out about Dexter's dark past with the death of DeeDee and being saved from Mandark, but didn't like the fact that Blossom was all like 'I GOTTA find this out NOW' and that Blossom could drown and die. I mean, she could die, but I don't think that she could drown. She could survive in outer space. I mean, from Doujinshi counterpart to the Cartoon Network counterpart, was quite different… The whole thing with Dr.X and Mojo Jojo (though, I really do feel bad for him getting pushed around). The battle with Bell v Blossom was AWESOME!

Not sure why Dexter would be in the PPGs bedroom. To me, that didn't make any sense. Shouldn't he have a home in Megasville or be in a hospital? Where the PPGs could visit him?

The Love Triangle between Blossom, Dexter, and Olga was an interesting twist!, but the thing with Blossom wearing glasses baffled me. She doesn't need glasses...

The whole Buttercup with this infatuation with Samurai Jack thing, I really didn't like, but with Buttercup trying to impress Samurai Jack, and Samurai Jack not being pleased with her messing up the whole point of his training, I liked. I believed that she realized that he kinda looks like her father figure, Professor Utonium. Buttercup v Samantha battle was AWESOME! Bubbles Doujinshi character was on point to the Cartoon Network counterpart. So, nothing about her story I didn't like about, although there was that mess that happened where Bubbles didn't know what else to do while being trapped in that one spot with the scientist. Hopefully, she'll have a much bigger part in the upcoming chapters of PPGD. I have total faith in her.

Round 2 with Blossom v Bell and Buttecup v Samantha, that was EPIC without question! It was also a good way to end the chapter after 10 years. I enjoyed every minute of it!

The RowdyRuff Boys, I gotta say, its great seeing them, but I've said this before and I'll say it again… "The RowdyRuff Boys don't need training, they need education." They are street smart, but they need school smart.

When it comes to the whole thing with the PowerPuff Girls, Dexter and such, its crossover. And pairing crossover couples doesn't work… AT ALL. It's been proven in the comic book industry for a long time and with anime and manga. Yeah, there can be flirting, but not in a relationship. A perfect example is the DC Universe… You have Earth 1 Batman and Earth 2 Superwoman, look at Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths or read the comics it was based on, you'll get your answer there. Otherwise, its Sailor Moon and the 7 Ballz which I am NOT going to go into.

The other things like loli/panty shots and things like that doesn't bother me. As an artist, you are focusing on poses, effects, clothing-- basically all elements that gets to the point of the story with the help of perspective views and such. You see stuff like that in Anime, Manga, Comic books, Movies, and in real life. So, pretty much, the whole nine with entertainment. Basically, I appreciate Bleedman for putting those elements to good use and for BeeAre writing such epicness to help the situation from the middle to the end of this 10 year arc. If you have a problem with those elements being put here in PPGD, then complain to the comic book industry, the japanese anime and manga industry, and to… Clothes! LOL When it comes to art and animation, you are creating the illusion of life. Question is… Why is that a problem? Hell, the olympics like figure skating has those panty shots… It can't be helped so why make that a big deal? That is too childish… lol

That's my take on the 10 year story arc of PPGD
I am the Winner

Postby Hallow Nova » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:33 am

The idea that the PPGs separated is good imo.
They're gaining an identity. Many siblings begin avoiding each other in social settings, such as school.
Example, Bubbles wanted to join the dance troupe, but her sisters didn't.

I do agree that the relationship between Blossom and Dexter was rushed. But, when one meets a cutie that also shares the same interests AND wants to speak with you about stuff you both enjoy, why not?

As for Blossom's curiosity, I feel that fits well with her character.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ULTRADJ » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:29 pm

Panty shots don't really bother me, as long as they aren't used all the time they become one of the sole focuses. Otherwise, not really a problem. The thing about crossovers is, you need to have a solid plan before hand since it's hard to make them work. If not properlu executed, they can be a huge disaster. Not saying this one is, but it's about 75-80% working, maybe a little more, for the many crossover characters that are there. There are a few issues, but it's nothing a little fixing won't cure.
Just Rockin

Postby CTCFirebird » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:17 pm

@ Tenshi Nova - I see your point in that, but I think that it depends the PPGD age.

Well, I don't think I would jump to being in a relationship just yet just because I would have similar interests as the cute girl. There's a good chance she may not be like that anyways and would be creeped out cause you try jumping for the opportunity. Hanging out from time to time would be good, then work your way to the relationship to see where it goes. Otherwise, you would kill the moment. Remember, opposites attract and that is due to personality. Genders and similarities in personalities are the least of anything.

Yeah, I guess so, but I wouldn't be like as if there was no tomorrow or some emergency... Why can't you know in due time?

@ ULTRADJ - Agreed. Yeah, once there's a plot hole or cliffhanger of the story, there's a good chance the next story arc will fill that (if it didn't fill in the 10 year arc)
I am the Winner

Postby Hallow Nova » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:49 pm

They're 12. Many kids are 'curious'. It's not like they've done anything unusual. They want to hang out together and help each other.

Plus given Blossom's experience as a hero, she probably has a habit of helping people.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)