New Grim Tales "Hotspot" (10/2/2013)

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: New Grim Tales "Hotspot" (10/2/2013)

Postby Hallow Nova » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:12 pm

I understand the requirement of logic to an extent. But to me it seems GT pushes the line they drew before in order to get away with things they want.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby The Mad Doctor » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:30 pm

Like Deadpool. Not much logic comes from him and those comics to begin with.
Shhh no tears only nightmares now

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Look, when I say there is logic in everything, there is. Even Deadpool, but I don't really care about it since I'm in a GT thread, not a Marvel comic thread.

The meaning of the word Logic stems from the Greek word of logos, which in part has two meanings. The first is to "describes the use of valid reasoning in some activity". The second names the normal study the branch that it being used. It's a lot more than "it makes sense". It doesn't even have to operate within the laws and bounds of our world, which is where you can branch into the hypothetical realm of magic and science and still create an artificial dome of logic in which all things operate on that foundation. All things must operate on a foundation of logic and reasoning where events can be explained to sound normal. It does get difficult with fantasy elements because you are introducing a whole new world in which your normal sphere of reasoning must make adaptations to fit the sphere of fantasy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic

The opposite of logic could be considered a fallacy. A fallacy is something more than "not making sense", it doesn't work or add up at all. It uses poor reasoning to make the case and just isn't true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacies

Let's take this page for an example. One could argue that there is no logic at all with the ability Chi has just performed. To keep it simply, we are going to focus on the aspect of going through the cell lines and not the physical action of making a clone. Now the person who argues that there is no logic or reasoning found on this page would have been turned off to the entire comic, but this is because their branch of reasoning and logic is focused on the real world. There is no conceivable way that you could teleport into a phone and travel to another country.

Because logic is not being used to adapt the bounds and possibilities of the fantasy elements. Once adapted though, you can find reasoning with it, which is known as LOGIC.

And yes, it does annoy me when you state that not everything runs on logic. True, you do have such elements as chaos (randomness), but even those have a pattern of reasoning under them that explains the odd behavior or actions happening.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:57 pm

You saying GT doesn't push their line of logic? In both sense of the word.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Whose line of logic?
Mine? No.
Your's? Maybe.
The reader's? I dunno.
Bleed, NEK, and BR? I don't know, I'm not them nor have I discussed if what they do makes sense to them.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:08 pm

It certainly pushes the line of physics (i can't believe I forgot about this thread) But then physics can not really be applied when talking about the cartoons these are based on so that is fine. I think that the only way something illogical could occur in this comic would be for something to happen without any reason at all.

Also Blord, your Blordyness, you are looking menacing this evening
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:14 pm

ari-6 wrote:It certainly pushes the line of physics (i can't believe I forgot about this thread) But then physics can not really be applied when talking about the cartoons these are based on so that is fine. I think that the only way something illogical could occur in this comic would be for something to happen without any reason at all.

There you go. When playing with Cartoons and even comics, you have to boot a degree of logic out in favor of cartoon logic, such as things that should kill someone not killing or seriously injuring them. My thought on this a bit more would be the hourglasses in Grim's flashback. his actions provided the reasoning why they weren't dying/dead and seemed to have worked.

ari-6 wrote:Also Blord, your Blordyness, you are looking menacing this evening

Thank you.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:45 pm

I'm fine with cartoon logic, but the last couple pages weren't very cartoony. I'm just being picky, IGNORE MEH!
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby The Mad Doctor » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:08 pm

So you don't consider someone's head being launched in a cannon cartoony?
Shhh no tears only nightmares now

Postby Hallow Nova » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:58 pm

That situation it was, that's why I had no problems with it.
Chi sending a part of her away, in this situation isn't.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby K13-ZAR » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:17 pm

I've seen similar stuff like that in cartoons

example: there was one show that had two people talking to each other and one said something annoying so the other guy sent his fist (and most of his arm) through the phone and punched the first guy
I'm NOT CRAZY! I'm just unpredictable there's a difference

Postby Hallow Nova » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:28 am

Again, that's cartoony.
But here, Chi cut herself. Sent a little of herself over to probably further plot.

I'm talking about a sense of comedic vs serious. It's just an opinion, but to me cartoon logic doesn't work for me in this situation.
We could keep going, but unless something funny/stupid happens to help back the cartoon logic, my opinion remains negative.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:41 am

Tenshi Nova wrote: but unless something funny/stupid happens to help back the cartoon logic, my opinion remains negative.
Chi turning into Bagpuss? Not doing anything for you? Okay. In the GA episode prank call of Cthulhu people were sucked through phones, and unlike Chi there bodies were not liquid at the time so no explanation could even try to explain how they fit. That was the PLOT of the episode and Cthulhu was defeated by prank calling him and then trapping him in the phone line. If you like you could look at this page as a reference to that episode, Does that help?
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Hallow Nova » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:51 am

Nope. No point in trying, I'm a stubborn ass.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Previous

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)