Anime/Manga-Spoilers All Over

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Anime/Manga-Spoilers All Over

Postby dj1107 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:42 pm

Well I've finished up Stone Ocean.....Jesus that ending...Overall while SO was slow to start, doesn't essentially have a lot of real humorous moments, & had wtf moments everywhere it was still a pretty good chapter. The characters were fun, Stands were weired, The villain was a definite step up from the previous one & had a nice bittersweet ending. But now it's time to leave the old universe & it's well loved characters & explore the beginning of The Joestar bloodline anew as we follow the adventures of a Paraplegic & an Italian across 1890's America in Part 7: Steel Ball Run.

Postby Cerulean » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:04 pm

Hmm, so dj, I know you've probably mentioned this before (in fact I'm sure you have, I just don't remember when......), but if there was a complete newcomer to Jojo who suddenly gained an interest in it, where would you suggest they start? I know you said that they were in parts, so it wasn't necessarily necessary for said person to start from the beginning?

Also, RAWS are out for the final chapter of Kimi no Iru Machi. Now, to wait.....
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby dj1107 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:41 pm

Well normally I'd just recommend starting from the beginning with Phantom Blood. Buuuuuut if you really don't want to read 80% of everything like me Start on Steel Ball Run (which I just started & boy is Gyro (my avatar) going to be fun).

If you want a Part from the original universe that doesn't need any history checking read Part 5 Vento Aureo. Despite Giorno being Dio's son it's rarely ever brought up, & the only things connecting to previous Parts are Jotaro, Polneraff, Koichi, & the arrows & they all appear at the beginning & ending. Only downside is you get a very lackluster main villain.

If you want a Part that does require research but has A SHIT-TON of great moments read Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable.
Pizza mozzarella, Pizza mozzarella, rella rella.

Postby Hallow Nova » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:12 pm

Cerulean wrote:Also, RAWS are out for the final chapter of Kimi no Iru Machi. Now, to wait.....

No, it's here...NOOO!

I recently started reading Magi. I like it a lot. I think I'm only up to chapter 50~
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:00 am

I just started watching Jormungand. Not sure how it holds up to Black Lagoon yet, only on episode 2.
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Hallow Nova » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:39 pm

So...last Kimi no Iru Machi. Can't say it was VERY emotional, but it was touching. A soft ending.

I'm guessing the girl with headphones is Fuuka.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Cerulean » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:38 pm

@dj Hmm, I'll start with Part 5 then (just to test the waters), dependent on how I feel afterward I'll probably just go ahead and start from the beginning.

@Tenshi I can live with this ending. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, and the ending did surprise me somewhat (considering how abrupt it was). I'm sort of happy with it, but then I'm not (because we didn't see him work to become a chef, and honestly there wasn't much indication that he was still thinking about becoming one this past arc.......) Yuzuki's dad's scene was probably my favorite of the chapter, my eyes started watering :c
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:43 pm

I sort of saw it coming. A lot of places like that starts off with some money already in the bank.
I was hoping that we'd also see Takashi's child(name excapes me :c) a bit grown.

The helmet though :c
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby dj1107 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:15 pm

@Cerulean
Honestly I would just start at Part 1 mostly because it's the shortest Part of the series (running at 45 chapters). & That way you can get to the best Part of the "old style": Battle Tendency. Why is Part 2 so great? 2 words: Joseph. Joestar.
Pizza mozzarella, Pizza mozzarella, rella rella.

Postby Cerulean » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:55 pm

Hmm, it's the shortest? I might take you up on that then.

@Tenshi It was nice seeing that despite everything that happened, they still missed him dearly and thought of him as a good friend. But, I just didn't get hit that hard emotionally when they revealed the helmet at the end.

And, I don't know, I guess I might have felt better about him opening his own restaurant, if he'd said beforehand that "OK, first I need to get a job, save money, then we can have our own restaurant" somewhere along the line. But it didn't happen that way, he brought it up once to his friends, and they told him to get serious and get a real job, then he just sort of dropped it right there. I guess it just caught me off guard. The whole time (excluding this past arc) I'd been expecting him to take the path of a chef, but then gave up on it when it seemed the manga was going down a "realistic" path, about him realizing that while he loved cooking, it was more of a hobby than it was a career choice. It didn't seem as if he gave that previous dream of opening a restaurant a second thought. And, surprisingly, I was fine with that. I just feel so...cheated. We didn't get to see the journey he took to actually get this restaurant. We didn't get to see his epiphany moment (where he realized that cooking was really his calling). We didn't get to see where this building is (was it in Hiroshima or Tokyo?). The restaurant is seemingly already somewhat established and well off, and it disappoints me that we couldn't have seen the rough patches they presumably endured in order to get to this form of establishment.
I wonder about Takashi's other children. It was implied that he had more than one child now. Also did Akari ever have any children? So many questions :c

I just read the latest chapter of Kaminomi, and all I have to say is "WOW.....wait, what?"
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:05 pm

I see what you mean now. Unfortunately, we're not going to get those answers :c

The way you feel about that is similar to how I feel about Asuka. I wanted to see their relationship. All the moments, twists and turns. How they lasted as long as they did, how everything was stable during it. When they skipped ahead at that time, it made me want to stop reading it. I REALLY WANT TO KNOW XC.
Then after all that, when Yuzuki came back AND EVERYTHING JUST.......HAPPENED! GAH! I was ripping my hair out.
A very compelling story, I couldn't stay away from it xD But still, after so much that we don't know, he just knew what he wanted. He knew who he loved more, and that irks me. I want to see what his relationship with Asuka must've been like, for him to still make that choice.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Cerulean » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:58 am

Sadly that's true T_T

Personally, I was sort of hoping that Asuka got her own personal story (away from Haruto). I know Seo has a habit of starting new series based off of a character that has nothing to do with the series at hand, but, I was still sort of holding out hope. I really felt for her after her break up with Haruto. And I can only imagine the pain she felt in that chapter when she asked him what was different between Yuzuki and herself, and he couldn't really give a solid answer. I can get the loving someone without a real reason thing, but that break up just left a bad taste in my mouth. It was indeed a hair ripping event during that whole time period. Especially considering how much I really liked her character.

Not sure whether or not I'm going to read Fuuka. I sorta stumbled into Kimi no Iru Machi, and never really gained enough of an interest in Suzuka to pick it up. I might wait a few weeks, then read the first few chapters to get a feel for it. That's a huge maybe though.
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:59 am

In all honesty, I only read Suzuka because of the small reference in Kimi no. It's not a HUGE deal, but it was passively okay from my memory. I'll probably read Fuuka, just to fill in Kimi no for now.

The number of times I just wanted to punch Haruto...especially during the Asuka break. My favorite character was Rin. Sexual harassment aside >.> I don't know why I prefer self sacrificing characters so much, even if I 'feel' more for the other characters. The top emotional scenes from the manga, such as Haruto's break ups and arguments, didn't involve Rin. But for some reason her scenes stood out for me. Much like Ami's nature from ToraDora. It's implied she likes Ryuuji, extensively even, but she goes out of her way to set him up with Taiga.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:40 pm

since Punzil liked the last one so much here are two more AW PMV's
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Hiroko » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:50 pm

So I just got through watching an anime called Hourou Musuko, or "Wandering Son." It's a very good anime, and rather bittersweet. It deals with the struggles of two kids, a trans girl named Shuichi Nitori and a trans boy named Yoshino Takatsuki, as they go through middle school and try to come to terms with their own genders, alongside the drama that comes with it.

As such, though, it has some triggering material for those who likely have gone through what the two main characters have gone through, especially so for Japanese trans people, given cultural differences on how gender identity is treated over there and all compared to here. Off the top of my head, the most consistent is misgendering--of which even the trans characters themselves are guilty of, likely just from the culture they're raised in, after all. There's also a few instances of transphobic and homophobic slurs. There's also a bit of bullying at one point. So, if that stuff triggers anyone, just know that's a thing, okay?

From what I hear, it's based on a manga, which has actually gone farther than where the anime stops. I'll see if I ever go check the manga out. From what I've gathered, fans seem to like the manga better, anyway, and many seem to treat the anime as if it were an alternate universe? So I can only assume that means the anime is a bit different than the manga. So, there's that.

The anime is available to watch here on Crunchy Roll.
The Sentimental One

Postby Cerulean » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:01 am

Ooh, I remember Hourou Musuko. It was very charming and refreshing. If I remember right, part of the problem that fans of the manga had with the series dealt with the fact that the anime decided to skip showing the beginning of the manga (which I think is sort of understandable considering the length of the series). Otherwise, it was supposedly a faithful adaptation. Though I wouldn't know myself since I haven't read it yet (It's on my list somewhere).

If you should read it, just know that there are only 123 chapters (and I know that that's still a lot, but considering the fact that it ran for roughly 11 years.....) It's a shame that the series sold horribly in Japan, I would have loved a second season since the manga finished last year, but I seriously doubt it'll happen now.

If you're interested, Aoi Hana (or Sweet Blue Flowers) is another anime that has a similar feel to Hourou Musuko. It's about two girls who try to reconnect after being separated for so long. I felt that it was a very good series and was almost as refreshing as Hourou Musuko. It's also only 11 episodes long (and written by the same author). The manga only has 52 chapters (ran for 9 years apparently) and was completed last year.

@Tenshi

I didn't really pay much attention to Rin until the whole break up thing. With Asuka being my favorite, she really annoyed me with her "scheming" to get Haruto and Yuzuki back together. But, I will admit that I do like the fact that she pushed aside her potential for happiness in favor of making her sister happy. Especially since she came off as someone who was somewhat selfish before (though I know that it wasn't so much that she was selfish as she was lonely now). I also enjoyed that extra chapter that was given from the point of view of her only real friend. I wonder whatever happened to him.....

Minori was my favorite character from Toradora. What made me like her was not only her loyalty to her best friend, but how she willingly stepped aside to make sure that she didn't impede on anyone's happiness. She saw the writing on the wall and chose to not ignore it. And sure, in the end she came across as hypocritical when she did the exact thing that she told Taiga not to do, but I still liked it because it humanized her. She wanted to do the right thing, but was going against her beliefs by doing so (though I guess she sort of wasn't since she didn't actively want to go after Ryuji for her own happiness because her happiness relied on Taiga being happy). And to top it all off, she actually confessed (even if it was in a round about way), which in a way showed that she was hoping somewhere deep down that he did still hold the same feelings she felt for him. And it hurt her when she was rejected, but she was still happy for the two and supported them. I really respected that.

She sort of reminded me of this one character from True Tears named Noe Isurugi and I loved her character in that show.

will watch those videos tomorrow when I wake up
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:20 am

Minori's hyped made it difficult for me to connect for a while, but I see where you're coming from.

I haven't seen True Tears, but I remember a YouTube channel that became head over heals with it, to the point they lost a good number of subscribers because they wouldn't stop spamming it. I'll probably end up watching it this Friday, since it's the only romance anime I'll be able to think of. Yes, I watch lovey dovey stuff on Valentine's Day, DON'T JUDGE ME >.>
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hiroko » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:17 pm

Cerulean wrote:Ooh, I remember Hourou Musuko. It was very charming and refreshing. If I remember right, part of the problem that fans of the manga had with the series dealt with the fact that the anime decided to skip showing the beginning of the manga (which I think is sort of understandable considering the length of the series). Otherwise, it was supposedly a faithful adaptation. Though I wouldn't know myself since I haven't read it yet (It's on my list somewhere).

If you should read it, just know that there are only 123 chapters (and I know that that's still a lot, but considering the fact that it ran for roughly 11 years.....) It's a shame that the series sold horribly in Japan, I would have loved a second season since the manga finished last year, but I seriously doubt it'll happen now.

If you're interested, Aoi Hana (or Sweet Blue Flowers) is another anime that has a similar feel to Hourou Musuko. It's about two girls who try to reconnect after being separated for so long. I felt that it was a very good series and was almost as refreshing as Hourou Musuko. It's also only 11 episodes long (and written by the same author). The manga only has 52 chapters (ran for 9 years apparently) and was completed last year.

Ahh, is that so? Yeah, I sorta noticed, when I went to go check the manga, it didn't have the same beginning like the anime does.

And alright. And yeah, that is a shame. From what I heard, what happened was that the anime was released around the same time as Puella Magi Madoka Magica and ended up getting grossly overshadowed by it or something. So people were so drawn into PMMM, that they simply ended up overlooking Hourou Musuko. That's what I've heard, anyway.

Anyway...ah, alright. I'll see if I ever look into Aoi Hana, too, then. Thanks! c:
The Sentimental One

Postby ari-6 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:06 pm

STILL have not seen new Madoka movie gosh darn it! I am going slightly extremely insane. The comicbook shop in my town had little collectible Madoka toys. I only wanted Homura but they were blind sealed.... So I bought one.... and got... Kyubey.... He sits on my shelf now. Taunting me. Then I went back and the last one had been purchased. Homura was in the very last box. Then last weak They got a new box load... So I thought I might try my luck again. And in the first box I opened was... Kyubey. Freaking Kyubey! Then I kind of lost my sanity and bought another, and another, and another. Homura was in the very last box. So now I have the whole set and my wallet is considerably lighter. In the end I just accepted that the nagging in the back of my head would not stop until I finished it. Now I know I must never try my luck in that kind of situation. It will not end well. I'm such a freak

Postby Hallow Nova » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Should've wished for one :3

I'm about 150 chapters into Magi. I love this so much. It easily over took many of the manga/anime I've read/seen before. I think there's another 50 or so until I reach the latest one. It's quickly becoming my favorite ongoing manga. I can't wait to see the anime, I heard it's also ongoing. Giddy like a little girl ^.^
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Cerulean » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:18 pm

I'm still 8 chapters behind....must catch up. I like Magi, it's pretty interesting and it's funny, but those fights are still sort of hard for me to read. I feel sort of exhausted by the time they do finish, but then that may have been due to me having to wait each week for said fight to continue. Whenever I get around to it, I plan on reading the prequel about Sinbad's adventures too. Hopefully before the OVA comes out in a few months....

Also, yes, you should watch True Tears, I recommend it c:

@Hiroko Oooh ok that makes sense, and No problem c:
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Yea, the fights scenes seem to be drawn out a bit over too many chapters, but I find it so worth it. I haven't read something that had me looking forward to walls of text in so long. I just can't get over how well done political strife is played out.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Cerulean » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:42 pm

watch log horizon

Hmm, that's true. It's definitely interesting to see not only what goes on on the front lines (so to speak) and what is implied to go on behind them (especially with regards to Sinbad).
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:26 pm

Hm...It's on going. Maybe. I'll finish Magi, wait for 2 updates, then skim compare it to One Piece.
One Piece has been my favorite ongoing for a while, but Magi just seems ridiculously better.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:53 am

Often I read or watch something new and think "This is the greatest thing ever" but when I wait for a month and then compare it to the other things I like, my opinion changes.

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)