Warrior's Dream

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Warrior's Dream

Postby Light10s » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:17 pm

What makes a person a warrior? Is it the weapons they wield? The armor they wear? The faces they show? The words they say? Or the scares they shoulder? A hundred different answers can be given, and all maybe true but this is my answer. :!: :mrgreen:

Dreams, Goals, What they are fighting for to accomplish. No matter how pointless it is, How futile, it will never happen, it's still worth it. "I'll keep on fighting, working, challenging until my dream is fulfilled, even at the cost of my life". That is a Warrior, The question is who do (YOU) know is a warrior or the heart of a warrior that has a dream that is worth dieing to accomplish?

Re: Warrior's Dream

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:54 pm

:| At first I didn't know what to make of this thread, but it seems to be a philosophical one. I guess I can drop my two cents, though I'm not sure if this thread wouldn't be better suited to Literature, Spam or even Art.

What makes a warrior? From a glance, it would need to be their fighting style, their physique, their 'take no prisoners' attitude. But farther down the line, someone who revels in battle all the time needs to have a pretty strong will and mind as well.

Especially if it's losing battles they constantly fight. Maybe enemies that can't be killed with a sword, like disease or poverty. When people think warrior they usually think big buff people taking to each other with axes when in reality the very definition could be that they are simply fighters. Fighters to the end.

Doctors, scientists, workers, they all fall under the same category. But the main difference between warriors and leaders isn't their own self constitution, it's the power to spread hope and the will to fight to those around them.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:12 pm

If someone sees you as a warrior, you're a warrior. Even if you don;t believe it, if you're willing to sustain that image for that other, you're a warrior.

I can't tell if this is the beginning to something that should be in the Lit Section.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Dibullba » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:26 pm

Obviously Yami Yugi. Card games are serious business!

But in actual seriousness. A warrior from my perspective is merely a person or thing that fights regardless of the reasoning for doing so. The reasoning for being a warrior merely creates mental/emotional drive for what they are doing even though you could have no reasoning at all for doing the given task and still be classified as a warrior. The only key factor that is needed to get this classification is that the person or thing is fighting. An excellent example I can use is Don Quixote. In the books, he was a man with delusions of being a knight. He would see things such as inns being castles, a farmer being a squire, and most famously known a wind mill as a dragon. Though he may have been delusional, he would fight things in belief of being a knight. Here is the twist to this though. Miguel de Cervantes, whom was the author for that book, cleverly hid ideals that related to that time period about the expulsion of Jews and Muslims. This meant that by using underlying words, he was fighting the Catholic beliefs within Spain thus making him a warrior even though he would have no influence on that matter within his life time. Just as his story portrays, perspective plays a huge part in what we believe.

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:46 pm

It's all in how they strut their stuff.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:39 pm

Blood Lord wrote:It's all in how they strut their stuff.

What about off the battlefield?

This might be more towards mercenaries, but I couldn't think of a more relevant song atm. :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:17 pm

It depends on the type.

Some have the lust of battle, the desire to see all of the world lying defeated and bloody before them. They are the ones who have no allies, for all are their opponents. The red music swells forever in their ears. They are the beserkers, and we should fear them
Some have a great cause they follow, an ideal that drives them on forevermore until they achieve it. They are the soldiers, the knights, the samurai, and we should honor them.
Some (this is actually a subset of the last) lay their power in the defense of those who they deem powerless or even for the good. They are greater than the former for their causes can never be achieved, their labors never be over. They are willing to sacrifice EVERYTHING to their cause their strength, their lives, their very souls. They are (to go back to the Don Quixote metaphor again) "willing to walk into Hell for a heavenly cause." They are the paladins, and we should get down on our knees and pray that we should be worthy of their struggles.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:40 pm

One of my favorite quotes. I can't remember where I heard it, I think it was a manga called 'Kurohime (blah blah)'. It was annoying, always about love triumphs over all, and every other person just so happens to be a dormant god. I didn't like it until a single quote came out of it, I love when I find a diamond in the rough.

Good? Evil? Who are you to judge me on morality? The good do things for selfish reasons. The evil do things for righteous reasons. The only difference between you and I, is honesty.

Not the exact quote, but this is how I remember it. The rest of the series was shitty imho, but I soldiered on and found this.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:00 pm

@ Mon-Kitsune: Some just want to see the world burn.

Postby MERASMUS! » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:29 pm

I don't like these kind of threads. They are far too over thought over rather simple things just to say the opposite of what is typically said. Its like saying a soldier or a mercenary not being a warrior. Which is sort of what I am seeing here. It bugs me. I've made my thought out now.
Oh hello Soldier

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:04 pm

It depends on your definition of a warrior. I would consider a solider to be one but not a mercenary due to their intent.

You really only established your preference of these threads, not the answer to the question.

Postby MERASMUS! » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:25 pm

If you want to know my definition of a warrior is anyone that fights and kills to serve. That's a simple and broad enough for me.
Last edited by Blood Lord on Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: *Warrior
Oh hello Soldier

Postby Dibullba » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:40 pm

Which is pretty much what I said Doctor if you had read it. To be a warrior though is not just about killing. Their are people who battle things without having to throw a single punch that within reasoning would make them warriors as well. Warriors of tactics, words, and philosophies go into battle in hopes of succeeding in the task they set. Best examples I can give in this manner would be Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. who used passive resistance to succeed in what would have otherwise been considered a lost cause.

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:43 pm

I have to fix Doc's posts. The misspelling of Warrior is killing me.

Postby Light10s » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:15 am

I did say that there were a hundred different answers on what a warrior is. I even wrote my answer to what I think a warrior is. I did not ask what you thought a warrior is or meant, no that kind of question will just start an argument amongst eachother until it all comes back in my face and then all (H) breaks loose. So i just made it simple, told you what i thought and asked the question "Who can you think of that is [Fictionally] a warrior, or has the heart of a warrior that has a dream/goal worth dieing to accomplish.

For example: Jim Raynor Commander of the Raynor's Raiders. He's a warrior because he's fought against Mangsk and tried to free captive civilians from the corrupt Confederates. His actions proved to the people that if he can challenge the Cons so can they. His goal was to bring Mangsk to justice, and to save the women he loves from a monstrous fate. That is a warrior, challenging two impossible odds to achieve his goal.

Postby Dibullba » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:14 am

That becomes arbitrary Light. Many things that are fictional are often based on real life events as an influence. So I did mention at least 4 examples, but I fail to see what the point of such a thread would be if it is merely naming off "warriors". Also it is spelled "Mengsk" whom despite his intentions and morals was a warrior as well.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:21 am

So, this went from simple discussion about people's different views on what a warrior is. To a discussion where everyone is attempting to reinforce their older posts. So on that note, the only way I can reinforce myself anymore would be to attempt to bring us together. A true warrior has the heart...of...a...Goofy Goober.

idc what anyone says, this was probably one of the most badass songs from Nick.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:49 pm

Even though it lacks originality on account of stealing the beat and most of the "words" from another song, it is really catchy and probably a highpoint of Nickelodeon. It would have been much better if it was completely original though.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Dibullba » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:05 pm

I can think of three:
Old School

Slightly New School

Can you handle the badassness?

This one is just a cool AMV

Postby Tenshi Nova » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:18 pm

Gir's a true warrior.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:03 am

Light10s wrote:I even wrote my answer to what I think a warrior is. I did not ask what you thought a warrior is or meant, no that kind of question will just start an argument amongst each other until it all comes back in my face and then all (H) breaks loose.

Look, all hell did not break loose, so sit down and chill bro. You haven't been on here enough to know the difference between two people talking and an argument.

You asked what makes someone a warrior. At the same time you just opened up a thread class where people from different cultures and views come together to answer a question with a broad definition. People are going to ask some questions to get the definition of a warrior as defined as possible to be able to express their beliefs to your question the best they can.

Like MadDoc, going of a loose definition he provided and others, its anyone that fights. But then you get some others who have different "classes" of what a warrior means, like me and Mon-Kitsune. A solider could be a warrior, but a mercenary couldn't be a warrior, imho.

Light10s wrote:"Who can you think of that is [Fictionally] a warrior, or has the heart of a warrior that has a dream/goal worth dieing to accomplish.

Technically, that was the second question you asked. The first is "What makes a warrior?", which everyone was more inclined to answer because it is thought that the second question mirrors the first, which doesn;t here. Also, you asked this:
Light10s wrote:The question is who do (YOU) know is a warrior or the heart of a warrior that has a dream that is worth dieing to accomplish?

Hence also why it was asked if you wanted fictional or non-fictional examples.

Postby Light10s » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:25 am

:redface: Sorry i guess I'll just sit back watch this thread develop some more, I guess I was just freaking out that everybody was showing sigh's of confusion as to what this thread was even about. So I thought i help out by making it simple to understand, but I guess I only made it worse so I'll just sit here and wait awhile cause i really want you guy's to like this thread and talk about your likes an all. Thanks "Blood Lord" I'll keep your advice in mind. :grin:

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:29 am

Just have patience with people and try to explain your intents clearly. The biggest problem is bringing definition gaps between people.

Don't let it get to you and cause you to "retreat" out a bit. Get involved and help people understand where you are trying to come from and what is going on. Furthermore, make some friends.

Postby BeeAre » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:33 pm

Mon-Kitsune wrote:It depends on the type.

Some have the lust of battle, the desire to see all of the world lying defeated and bloody before them. They are the ones who have no allies, for all are their opponents. The red music swells forever in their ears. They are the beserkers, and we should fear them
Some have a great cause they follow, an ideal that drives them on forevermore until they achieve it. They are the soldiers, the knights, the samurai, and we should honor them.
Some (this is actually a subset of the last) lay their power in the defense of those who they deem powerless or even for the good. They are greater than the former for their causes can never be achieved, their labors never be over. They are willing to sacrifice EVERYTHING to their cause their strength, their lives, their very souls. They are (to go back to the Don Quixote metaphor again) "willing to walk into Hell for a heavenly cause." They are the paladins, and we should get down on our knees and pray that we should be worthy of their struggles.

No.

Be more precise.

Berserkers ARE one thing. You did well here.

Each ideal that someone FOLLOWS is a type of warrior. You gave the example of the berserker. The beast that lives in us to kill and conquer.

Specify the ideals, and you have your type of warrior. There are not merely soldiers and paladins.

A soldier follows orders because they believe in those orders. Nothing more. It is enough for them.

A paladin believes in the separation between people needing to be closed, and a paladin spends more of their time trying to close that gap with the people and speaking words to them so as fend off the separation, more motivating than fighting.

This is distinct from a templar, who believes the same thing, but prefers to and ultimately spends their time dealing in the combat against the gap widening.

A mercenary is a warrior, but their ideal is small: themselves as much of an ideal as they can muster. Not much to be had in it, hence some people dismissing them.

Figure out the ideals. Prove my suppositions I'm pushing here wrong, if you want, but be specific. The ideals, the things for which a warrior fights, those determine them.

We all have the capacity to be any form of warrior, for good or evil. Seek out your feelings and knowledge and let them spread, and determine the strength of an ideal to see why people might be willing to fight or even die for it.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:24 pm

BeeAre wrote:
Mon-Kitsune wrote:It depends on the type.

No.

Be more precise.

Berserkers ARE one thing. You did well here.

Each ideal that someone FOLLOWS is a type of warrior. You gave the example of the berserker. The beast that lives in us to kill and conquer.

Specify the ideals, and you have your type of warrior. There are not merely soldiers and paladins.

A soldier follows orders because they believe in those orders. Nothing more. It is enough for them.

A paladin believes in the separation between people needing to be closed, and a paladin spends more of their time trying to close that gap with the people and speaking words to them so as fend off the separation, more motivating than fighting.

This is distinct from a templar, who believes the same thing, but prefers to and ultimately spends their time dealing in the combat against the gap widening.

A mercenary is a warrior, but their ideal is small: themselves as much of an ideal as they can muster. Not much to be had in it, hence some people dismissing them.

Figure out the ideals. Prove my suppositions I'm pushing here wrong, if you want, but be specific. The ideals, the things for which a warrior fights, those determine them.

We all have the capacity to be any form of warrior, for good or evil. Seek out your feelings and knowledge and let them spread, and determine the strength of an ideal to see why people might be willing to fight or even die for it.

Okay I'll try to define. This is going to be hard for me
To me a paladin is sort of an opposite to what I am; he fights to bring peace and or for the good in the abstact. A warrior or even a knight can believe in a cause but those causes can be a lot more restrictive such as "I fight for the glory of my ruler, to see that his agenda is promoted" or "I fight to see this specific army defeated". A Paladin is a lot more general to me, he loyalty is to the "good" in general. In a certain sense he is a mercenary too (in that he has no loyalty to any specific person , except he doesn't demand recompense for his actions (actually to be a true paladin as far as I am concerned, he has to refuse all recompense and reward, even when it is offered. He must not be merely willing to literally give everything, life body and soul to the betterment of all, he has to find the concept of not doing so, of keeping some part of himself for himself utterly repugnant and blasphemous. I suppose a Templar would be more or less the same thing except in a group (in my mind, a paladin is a soloist, as he would not allow anyone else to fight by his side for fear of them being injured.) Historically I know that neither of these definitions are accurate, as technically there haven't been any actuall historical Paladins since the days of Charlemagne (that, if I recall was where the original Paladin order came from, Charlemagne's knights) or any templars since....well...the Templars.
Also I think I may have gotten the definition of a Berserker wrong as well. All berserkers cannot be like I said (if they were, the Vikings would not have been able to make use of them, after all, who wants someone on their side who is going to follow up destroying the enemy by destroying you as well) The key difference between a true berserker and what I described (which I don't know the name for) is as follows, a classical berserker has rage which is a very animal thing. he is one who fights like an enraged animal, devoid of restraint (though of course that should be "as he thinks an enraged animal fights, since actually animals basically never lose all of their restraint; conditions where an actual animal will fight to the death are rare indeed.) What I descried has not just rage but hate and that oh so only human quality, sadism, the ability to feel joy and pleasure at another's pain. A berserker aims to defeat his opponent as quickly as possible, what I imagined is one who aims to leave his opponent in as much pain and despair as possible. A berserker kills, what I described tortures. They don't just want to see the world burn, they want to see it screaming in hell's agony for all eternity.
I think I better stop now, this is leading me to bad places.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Next

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)