RWBY July 24th

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: RWBY

Postby DarkKing » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:29 am

Finally Jaune is getting a bit stronger. The aura stuff reminds me of Nen from Huter x Hunter or Haki from One Piece. I didn't think Blake and Yang would team up.
"The ones who do what they want and
enjoy the most of their lives are the
ones who win in the end."

- Charlie Staz
Bow to Greatness

Postby Hallow Nova » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:32 am

It was pretty obvious...not to mention I said it earlier in the thread, when everyone was thinking it.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mercen-X » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:52 am

I thought it earlier after you said it.
I just love how people put commas, in places they so obviously, do not belong.

I don't know about you, but I love the Young Justice animated series.
So I became the 44,901st signer of this petition to bring the series back.
Skree

Postby ari-6 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:52 am

Considering that it was obvious Weiss and Ruby were going to team up and they all end up on the same team it could not be more obvious Yang and Blake were going to partner. I feel like Yang should have been fighting three bears. I like the idea about her using the sun glasses to avoid people was a niece idea, I am actually disappointed that did not happen now. I am not sure what you mean by saying "Jaune is essentially Naruto".
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby rac7d » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:06 am

Jaun isnt like naruto at all. In any way, unless of couse you think he has more aura then the average person and even then that doesnt make him like naruto. Juan is is more like nevel longbottom from harry potter bumbling but with a good heart. The headmaster here seem to be searching for people with honest souls hence Jaun.

So aura seem t be the equivalent of chakra in this show. So now things like Ruby speed, or Yang's super strength are somewhat explained now. But Weiss has onlt be show using magic, mabey aura is needed to properly utilize dust the way Glenda does, who I must point out did ot have any dust visbly with her

Postby Hallow Nova » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:34 am

Itching to see Ruby go beast mode.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:01 am

I also thought it would be cool if when Ruby gets serious she becomes cool concentrated and deadly, just like in her trailer.

Postby rac7d » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:13 pm

Mercen-X wrote:I think the dialoguing over a fight scene is the best way to info dump. I mean, if you're gonna do it, don't make your audience fall asleep.

So much for the theory Yang would use her sunglasses to avoid eye contact with someone she didn't want to team up with. Heh... Grimsly bear.
I so totally knew Ruby was going to interfere right when she was ready. It's like "enough thinking, just do it!"
I was a bit weirded by Pyrrha's robotic voice. She was so chipper in Episode 4 and then we get this monotone "Gunfire... comrades..." bleh. It worried me. Actually, her whole info dump was a bit wonky. Like she was deliberately trying for monotone and yet emo was leaking out.
I predict Aura is gonna be one of those issues that comes up in the fanbase a lot like "he was able to block the sharpened teeth of a colossal snake with the palm of his hand and yet he (insert gratuitous battle fail here)..!" Yup. Started off by building up Aura to prematurely awesome proportions imho. Aaaaaand with the introduction of Aura, I predicted and was proven correct that Jaune is essentially Naruto. "You've got a lot of it." Jaune has officially reached Level 0.5

Nothing to worry about. Her tone changed becasue she is in the battlefield. She is an experienced champion and is focused right now. She has to be doubly alert since Jaun untill now doesnt know how to activate his 6th sense.

I wonder is aura can be used to for sensory and locating. Is everyone jsut stumbling around until they find the temple?

Here is my real concern, there may actuly only be 8 episodes if there spliting them up and calling it 16. I pray its not so, I alredy feel stupid for becoming a sponsor now that it on crunchyroll.

Postby ari-6 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:16 pm

There has been nothing to suggest that the series will be shorter than RvB.

Postby Mercen-X » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:12 pm

Well, Ruby Rose was one episode but it was the longest so far. The others have all been two-parters. If there is a Part 2 to Emerald Forest, that's essentially 4 episodes so far. I know plenty of shows do two-parters. But I haven't heard of three two-parters in succession...

And yea, it was the abundant Aura thing I was referring to with the Jaune-Naruto thing. Y'all and I may have different definitions of clumsy and bumbling if you don't think Naruto qualifies under that category. Both are well-intentioned and lack understanding of part of the world in which they dwell. Naruto didn't fully grasp chakra (he called it katra) or how to perform certain basic abilities which is why he almost didn't become a genin. Jaune may not yet seem overly impulsive as Naruto is (unless you count his failed attempt at hitting on Weiss and Pyrrha), but Naruto was still proven multiple times early on to be not the most capable member of his group (although he was usually more reliable than Sakura... well, I mean she was useless). A blind man could see the similarities. The only thing the two don't have in common is how they approach other people. Jaune is shy and awkward while Naruto is hyper and somewhat abrasive.

Skree

Postby ari-6 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:47 pm

Mercen-X wrote: I know plenty of shows do two-parters. But I haven't heard of three two-parters in succession...
You obviously have not seen Darker Than Black. The entire series is made up of two parters.

Mercen-X wrote:A blind man could see the similarities.
Actually I agree with whoever i was who said Jaunne was like Neville Longbottom. Both are bumbling, both have a lack of confidence and both are afraid they will not be able to live up to their ancestors legacy. I would also bet that by the end Jaunne will have taken a level in badass.

Postby Mercen-X » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:27 am

rac7d wrote:more like nevel longbottom from harry potter bumbling but with a good heart.

ari-6 wrote:Both are bumbling, both have a lack of confidence and both are afraid they will not be able to live up to their ancestors legacy.

I suppose. I'll remind though that we only have insinuations to go by so far. Jaune refers to his weapon as a "hand-me-down" his gggf used in the war. He doesn't state anything implying he was some kind of war hero. Anyone who dies in a war is usually referred to as a hero. The bag is more mixed for the survivors and we don't know if he great great grandfather did survive the war. Dying after the fact doesn't earn any medals of valor. The statue he's staring at in the opening sequence has yet to be identified so it's implied impact on Jaune (why he seems to dwell on it) is just speculation so far.

Also, no. I haven't seen Darker Than Black. I've heard the name though. I thought it was a rock band.

I call it a Hammon

By the way, was there a working theory on what Nora's weapon was yet? Apparently, it was somewhat visible in Episode 4 (and I totally missed it). It looks like a grenade launcher apparently. I think maybe it's a lightning gun.
http://images.wikia.com/rwby/images/c/c ... h_guns.PNG

Skree

Postby Slendy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:50 am

There is SO much Soul Eater present in this series, and I'm loving it. Yes, I do know that Monty openly stated that Soul Eater was a big inspiration for a lot of the plot elements. We've got a battle school designed to train young warriors to protect the world, permanent teams among the students, crazy awesome weapons unique to each individual (the lead character's being a type of scythe), and now the auras which function very similarly to souls and soul energy. There are enough differences to make it interesting though, most notably with dust.

As for Jaune, I don't think he's like Naruto. His personality is completely different and, as far as we know, his aura is all 100% his, unlike Naruto receiving chakra from the 9-tailed fox. Aura sounds like something that would be related to the purity of your soul. The purer your soul is (whether pure good or pure evil), the stronger your aura. In Jaune's case, it sounds like he'll be able to compensate for his lack of a complex weapon or fighting skills by having a stronger than average aura. But I also don't think he'll be like Neville Longbottom (unless we're talking about the Neville from the last book) because he doesn't strike me as a total coward. Shy and awkward, sure, but not a coward. I can see him taking on an enemy he knows he has no chance of beating if it would help his friends (like by stalling for time).

Anyway, this series is doing a great job balancing the action and story and I'm definitely interested in seeing more. I like these longer episodes, as well. I wouldn't expect a full 20 minute long episode, but anything below 7-10 minutes just doesn't feel like it gets enough done before the episode is over. I guess it's like following an online comic, such as the ones here at Snafu. When seen all together, the story flows at an appropriate pace. But when you view it 1 page or 1 mini-episode at a time with days/weeks between updates, that is when it feels slow. This is of course no fault to the author/creator. We've just, as a society, become too accustomed to instant gratification and despise waiting. Still though, I wonder if I wouldn't be better off just waiting until 2-3 episodes are out before watching them. The only problem with that is that I would have a little voice in the back of my head reminding me that an episode is out and I can watch it whenever I want. Usually this voice wins out, lol.
Denizen of Darkness

Postby ari-6 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:36 pm

Welcome to the thread. I know what you mean about trying to ignore a new episode and failing.
Slendy wrote: But I also don't think he'll be like Neville Longbottom (unless we're talking about the Neville from the last book) because he doesn't strike me as a total coward.
I honestly thought Neville was one of the bravest characters. I think something that this character archtype always has to accept is that they are not as skilled as the people around them and are even kind of incompetent and there is a chance they will die without accomplishing anything. But by the end of the story this character has usually taken a level in badass and kicked it up a notch. I think that at some point Jaune will save Ruby or another member of the cast in a really heroic way.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:44 pm

ari-6 wrote:Welcome to the thread. I know what you mean about trying to ignore a new episode and failing.
Slendy wrote: But I also don't think he'll be like Neville Longbottom (unless we're talking about the Neville from the last book) because he doesn't strike me as a total coward.
I honestly thought Neville was one of the bravest characters. I think something that this character archtype always has to accept is that they are not as skilled as the people around them and are even kind of incompetent and there is a chance they will die without accomplishing anything. But by the end of the story this character has usually taken a level in badass and kicked it up a notch. I think that at some point Jaune will save Ruby or another member of the cast in a really heroic way.

Actually I thought Neville was a very brave character, but for a different reason, he, far more than Harry, has had to see what the consequences of the road he is taking are. Remember Harry's parents were slain when he was still a baby. It's certainly sad, but as a baby his intimate memories of them are sort of fuzzy. The fact that Magic pictures move and it is possible to re-live other peoples memories probably makes it a bit emotionally harder than it would be for a Muggle whose parents died when he was an infant, but there is still an certain amount of distance (and until he got to the pensive, pretty much all of the scenes he would have seen of his parents were pleasant ones making for a rose tinted image of them. Compare that to what Neville has had to go through. He has had to see what the Deatheaters did to his parents on a constant basis. He's had years of seeing them in St. Mungo's writhing in a torment no one can get them out of. Just imagine the amount of emotional trauma that must have caused. He's had to live with that ALL HIS LIFE. He knows what the Deatheaters did to his parent, and he know that, if he follows Harry, there is a very real chance (particularly for Him, since he isn't all that magically powerful) that the exact same fate will await him, a lifetime of torment without end. He has every reason not to join Harry's side, to keep his head down and stay safe. And he still does it. At the end he even sort of makes himself the ringleader of the Hogwarts resistance, making himself even more obvious to the bad guys (and therefore, upping the chances of them deciding to do something about it.) He stands face to face with Voldemort, and he doesn't cry, he doesn't try to run, he doesn't beg for his life. He's King Leonitas, the Tianimen Square Tank guy, and Roddy McCorely (look it up) all rolled into one. If that isn't bravery, I don't know what is.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby DarkKing » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:00 pm

I wonder how long it will take before we get to see Ozpin in action.

- Charlie Staz
Bow to Greatness

Postby Hallow Nova » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Noooo, I didn't make a Harry Potter thread so that we can make long Harry Potter posts and discuss it. :p
I'm going to cry in my corner now.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:42 pm

DarkKing wrote:I wonder how long it will take before we get to see Ozpin in action.
How long did it take to see Dumbledore in action? Or watch Death fight somone in Soul Eater. You always wait a long time to see the big good in action but it is always worth it. I would guess season 2

Postby Mercen-X » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:01 am

Maybe the end of the season at the earliest. Being optimistic.

Skree

Postby Biostar » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:15 am

Seems there is already an abridged series.

Postby BeeAre » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:53 am

Biostar wrote:Seems there is already an abridged series.

what it's way already abridged :X
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Biostar » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:48 am

Doesn't seem to faze the creator. It's on youtube if you're curious but it's mostly cursing and meta humor.

Postby Krest » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:23 pm

ari-6 wrote:
Mercen-X wrote: I know plenty of shows do two-parters. But I haven't heard of three two-parters in succession...

You obviously have not seen Darker Than Black. The entire series is made up of two parters.

I LOVE YOU ARI :D

You have the same anime taste as meeeee o.0

HOWLING :D

I actually didn't like Emerald Forest. Too much Aura explanation not enough ROMANTIC TENSION. I love learning about things, but Aura should have been explained in portions rather than all at once. It kind of killed the vibe I was supposed to get from the Snake Battle.

Biostar wrote:Doesn't seem to faze the creator. It's on youtube if you're curious but it's mostly cursing and meta humor.

Heheh. "I'm Agent Washington."

Classic.

"Kid, we're animated in Poser. We're all off-model."

"Well, that makes sense."

LOL

--

EDIT: Okay, the abridged series is amazing. Check this out:

Sleep With Neil Patrick Harris

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:34 pm

Walk into the club like WHAT UP I got a big cock!

What an Aryan Hippie.
This too shall pass.

Postby DarkKing » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:01 am

I liked the Aura explanation, we got to see it in action as Pyrrha talked about it. Plus it explains how they're able to do all those crazy feats so I think it's better to do that early in the series, otherwise people will just say they're making it up as they go along. Also did anyone else know Ren is voiced by Monty Oum? I just found that out the other day.

- Charlie Staz
Bow to Greatness

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)