RWBY

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: RWBY

Postby ari-6 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:51 am

Mercen-X wrote:Anything a fan could come up with would be better than what we have so far precisely because we know nothing.

I get that you are trying to make a point about how the series is running slowly but you should really rethink "Anything a fan could come up with would be better than what we have so far". All fan works fall under Stergeon's law, most of it is really bad. I do not know why people are complaining about the length but if you have not seen RvB then it would be understandable. They usually shave time off of the length of episodes leading up to episodes where much happens. I think they have an average time for an episode and when they want to make an episode run longer they need to cut the time in other places.
My Gallery http://ari-6.deviantart.com/gallery/ Check it out when you get the chance.
gott ist tot

Postby Mercen-X » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Hmm. I guess that sounds logical.

Sturgeon's law actually states "Nothing is absolutely so". I know which you are actually referring to is the most commonly acknowledged and therefore socially correct, but I prefer to read it as a whole. In that regard, though most works will be bad none will be 100% horrible and a particular audience may love it. I, for example, am generally an easy audience to satisfy.

OMAKE: http://rouzille.deviantart.com/art/RWBY ... -386639784

Also, I didn't realize Adam's hair made him resemble a rose.
I just love how people put commas, in places they so obviously, do not belong.

I don't know about you, but I love the Young Justice animated series.
So I became the 44,901st signer of this petition to bring the series back.
Skree

Postby Saint Soul » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:04 pm

I love this series. I watched cuz spewtube recommended it
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby ari-6 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:35 pm

Not sure I see what you mean about the rose thing. Thanks for linking me to Monty's page, those character models will be useful if I ever draw them. Also omake http://lunarisfuryaileron.deviantart.co ... -366958555
My Gallery http://ari-6.deviantart.com/gallery/ Check it out when you get the chance.
gott ist tot

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:45 pm

ari-6 wrote:I do not know why people are complaining about the length but if you have not seen RvB then it would be understandable. They usually shave time off of the length of episodes leading up to episodes where much happens. I think they have an average time for an episode and when they want to make an episode run longer they need to cut the time in other places.

Yeeeeaah, but the difference between RWBY and RvB is that RvB had more interesting dialogue in a short amount of time. The exchanges are amusing, and the VAs seem know how to emote their dialogues. RWBY's VAs seem to just read the script--not acting on it. I also think all female character in the series are voiced by the same voice actress. They all seem to have the same way of speaking--not much variety. I'd rather listen to Caboose rambling than RUBY. And I'm irritated with Caboose.

P.S. If you watched Star Wars Clones Wars 2D, you might get an idea why some are a little disappointed with RWBY.

I understand that this is just their first series so I'm optimistic that they'll improve upon the fuck ups.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mercen-X » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:18 am

I can't remember was SW released weekly like RWBY is? Or was it on a daily basis? I know it was on CN for a while aired between... shows..?

Skree

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:56 am

I remember it being a mini-series 5 minutes long. Everyday there is an episode. I wish they released a blu-ray version of it. It's better than the 3D version by a mile.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:28 am

@Kusang_Manalo:

They actually did put all the 2D animated Clone Wars episodes together on two DVDs. I bought them myself. I don't know how you can go by getting them now a days Kusang, but they are out there some where.

Also, I agree that RvB got away with the whole 5 minute episode thing better due mostly to the comedy and dialogue. And once again I don't play Halo games, but I actually like the RvB series a lot, so they must've been doing something right. For me it was also fun to see how they could mess around with the in game engine to make funny situations, like getting Sheila the talking tank AI to stand straight up at an odd angle.
Bark

Postby ari-6 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:41 am

RvB was as far away from an anime as you could get. It was a comedy about people standing around talking and getting into funny situations. Plus comparing the voice acting was a mistake. The RvB cast has been at it for over ten years. If you compare season one of RvB with RWBY there really is no contest. I can not remember much about the clone wars but I must have liked it enough to buy the DVD's but then again I was ten at the time so who knows if I would still enjoy it. Just to clarify, you are not disappointed with the lack of fight scenes are you?
gott ist tot

Postby Mercen-X » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:30 pm

I believe the point Kus was making is that the 5 minute episodes of Clone Wars felt like they accomplished more with every episode. RWBY doesn't give that same feeling.

Skree

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Just to clarify, you are not disappointed with the lack of fight scenes are you?

Yes, and no.

Honestly, the only reason why I'd watch a Monty Oum film is combat. That's what he does best, that's what I like about his work.

I mean, come on, it's five episodes already and nothing is happening. In those first five episodes, very little information was shown about of Ruby, Wiess, Blake, Yang or Jaune. Nothing in those episodes pulls me to give a shit about them. There's too much junk dialogue that could have been used effectively to reveal more about the characters (i.e. the slumber party scene and the gym locker scene). Voice acting (again) is still a turn off that insists me to switch over to Friendship is Witchcraft.

You have to watch SW: Clone Wars 2D to see where I'm getting at.
Not-an-animator

Postby ari-6 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:50 pm

I did watch clone wars. I feel that if all you are interested in is fight scenes and major character development you might be waiting a while. I can not think of any great anime which only consist of those two things.

Mercen-X wrote:I believe the point Kus was making is that the 5 minute episodes of Clone Wars felt like they accomplished more with every episode. RWBY doesn't give that same feeling.

I think that is maybe because while clone wars episodes were part of an overall ark, they still felt like stand alone episodes where as RWBY feels more like five minutes of an anime film. Still, about the voice acting, in RvB I feel the characters really got into there gharacters, voice wise, in season three. And Monty's animation only gets better each season. I feel RWBY will reach it's peek around season three.
gott ist tot

Postby Mercen-X » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:17 pm

RWBY so far reminds of many recent RPG releases with one of those overly long opening sequences that kind of shows you the world and a few of the characters but doesn't really accomplish much other than showing how beautifully they can render the world when you're not actually participating in it.

I sincerely hope the recent 4 minute episode is the prelude to something special. Ruby showing up Weiss; Jaune and Pyrrha getting to know each other ;) ; Ren meeting up with Nora; Blake making an appearance; something involving those two new characters that were neither named nor voiced... anything like that would be something.

Skree

Postby ari-6 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:36 am

Ruby showing up Wiess in a fight with beowolfs and Wiess taking it badly is exactly what I expect would happen but Wiess was looking for a strong fighter to take advantage of and here she has found one that she did not expect, and is already way open for manipulation at the mere mention of the word friendship. I would love to see their relationship as Wiess simply using Ruby to start off with and then becoming friends later but I also have a horrible feeling that Wiess is going to become a total expy of Asuka Langly. I do love Asuka but if I am wright that, would make her predictable.
gott ist tot

Postby rac7d » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:34 pm

I will hope that beacuse last episode was so short next episode will be longer lasting hopeful 6 minutes.
Red vs Blue is basivly a movies editied into 19-22 segments to be aired. It seems to me they are splitting what would be 12 minutes episodes into 2 parters so far. does that mean 32 segments?

I think Rooster teeth may find that this desnt work well for this kinda show and change the way they distribute episodes in the second season.

The voice acting as of the last 5 episodes is fine. Sure there no true professional in the main cast but I still amazed at how well thease newbies are doin. There nothing to complain abut when it comes down to that. At least until we see Adam again. -However If your looking for Inceredible vocieacting in a web sereis check out TOME.

@Kusang_Manalo
When you say were 5 episodes in you make it seem like we have seen 110 minutes of footage. Its been 40 about minutes. Which to what most of us are use to 2 episodes. In that time we been introduced to pretty much the main cast. We only know the Ruby's motivation at this point but her being the titled protaganist that completly normal. Were gonna learn about thease chracter sooner then we you think. Once he introduction arc is over the show will fly by.

Postby ari-6 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:10 pm

Do not agree with what you said about there being no professionals. It depends on the you're definition of professional. Shannon McCormick(Ozpin) is a trained actor and has even done voice work in anime before. He played Kuroudo Akabane in GetBackers.
gott ist tot

Postby rac7d » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:22 pm

ari-6 wrote:Do not agree with what you said about there being no professionals. It depends on the you're definition of professional. Shannon McCormick(Ozpin) is a trained actor and has even done voice work in anime before. He played Kuroudo Akabane in GetBackers.

He sounds excellent, mabey I did use professional wrong. However, he defintly is the most prfoessional and the cast, but at the same time he is kinda ehhh in the world of vocie acting. But I'm not complaining about him.

Postby ari-6 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:08 pm

http://roosterteeth.com/home.php
Well that was certainly something.
gott ist tot

Postby Tenshi Nova » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Guess you really shouldn't mess with a girl's hair.
It's also nice seeing Ruby grow a pair, like I mentioned, combat is within her comfort zone, she even got pissed at Weiss for being prissy about it.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
Rocks

Postby ari-6 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:43 pm

I just wanted to see Ruby shredding wolves like in the trailer. I know they have to get in the moral of teamwork but come on. And also that information dump about aura, I feel maybe should have been mentioned earlier. I did like the fight with Ren though. The thing I keep remembering that defuses any complaint I may have is that there is potential for this to get so much better. This is only the first season.
gott ist tot

Postby Tenshi Nova » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Aura is also what allows them to take the recoil of their weapons.
Rocks

Postby The Mad Doctor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:13 pm

http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?sid=rwby&v=more

This is probably the best episode so far. It's about time we get some real action like this. Especially when I just watched Terminator 2, expecting guns, I expected something good. It creates a better background on Grimm, and blends it with action.
F U Im evil

Postby ari-6 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Before the series started I was afraid that the series was going to be made up of fight scenes every episode and have a disappointing story. But what I hear people saying most is that they want to see more fight scenes. I do not know what to make of this.
gott ist tot

Postby Tenshi Nova » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Honestly, I feel the limiting fight scenes are better. Seeing nothing but constant fighting would get boring eventually. If they have a set story, fight scenes are more appreciative and have more impact. After a couple seasons of seeing them all grow, they always could have a tournament, filled with a shit ton of fighting, bringing up grudge matches.
Rocks

Postby Mercen-X » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:23 pm

I think the dialoguing over a fight scene is the best way to info dump. I mean, if you're gonna do it, don't make your audience fall asleep.

So much for the theory Yang would use her sunglasses to avoid eye contact with someone she didn't want to team up with. Heh... Grimsly bear.
I so totally knew Ruby was going to interfere right when she was ready. It's like "enough thinking, just do it!"
I was a bit weirded by Pyrrha's robotic voice. She was so chipper in Episode 4 and then we get this monotone "Gunfire... comrades..." bleh. It worried me. Actually, her whole info dump was a bit wonky. Like she was deliberately trying for monotone and yet emo was leaking out.
I predict Aura is gonna be one of those issues that comes up in the fanbase a lot like "he was able to block the sharpened teeth of a colossal snake with the palm of his hand and yet he (insert gratuitous battle fail here)..!" Yup. Started off by building up Aura to prematurely awesome proportions imho. Aaaaaand with the introduction of Aura, I predicted and was proven correct that Jaune is essentially Naruto. "You've got a lot of it." Jaune has officially reached Level 0.5

Skree

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)