RWBY July 24th

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: RWBY

Postby Mercen-X » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:58 am

Tenshi Nova wrote:I'm like that, try to tell me to do something, it fucks me up. 'TO THE RIGHT', I'll swing to the left.

But honestly, Weiss was only having difficulty because she started the fight in a hissy. Notice that took Ruby's advice by the end of the fight, attacking the Tusk's belly. But throughout the fight she was annoyed by Ruby telling her what to do because she hates that she's the leader. It's possible that if the leader had been Blake or Yang, this issue wouldn't have arose.

As for their character tension, I doubt it's resolved. As has been mentioned, they're teenagers. Stupid things are gonna make them bratty toward each other. Weiss has just decided that, for now, she'll work on improving herself rather than expecting to be made a leader, because despite what she may have thought, she hasn't proven herself yet either. Perhaps then she could become a leader herself... (of course, in the sequence of trying to prove this to herself, she gradually come to accept Ruby as a better leader than she can be, yada).
I just love how people put commas, in places they so obviously, do not belong.

I don't know about you, but I love the Young Justice animated series.
So I became the 44,901st signer of this petition to bring the series back.
Skree

Postby BeeAre » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:18 pm

rac7d wrote:Yay the first dub has been made
http://www.bilibili.tv/video/av760306/
cute

no one commented on this, but I will! Everyone go watch the chinese dub. Mute the Chinese version of the song, though. :X! maybe it sounds better if you know Chinese.

i love the East-Asian trend of comments ON the video; the comment relevance is always fun.

I learned several things.

The Chinese love Nora, Ren, and Yang.

They almost exclusively keep the characters' names in the roman alphabet, very helpful for us uneducated westerners. :B

Ruby's voice sounds like she's a wee babby. :X

233 is a number on some large website listing that was an emoticon for laughing, so the Chinese will regularly use 233 (with any number of 3s to convey intensity) as "lol".

Several people still use "w" which is a Japanese thing. "Warai" meaning laughter.

separate from 233, several number slang systems exist. Since Chinese reuses syllables with tonal differences, using a combination number creates a "shortcut" to a commonly used phrase. you'll also see typed syllables in roman characters with single numbers after them to convey a tone for that syllable.

rather amusing, the Chinese will, when a character has a moment of anger, show their solidarity for that character's anger with a nice table-flip: Yang's hair gets cut, several (╯`□´)╯︵ ┻━┻ immediately show up. very funny. :D

CV means, I must assume, "Chinese Voice", commenting on the quality of the dub.

_(:3 」∠)_ is used when Jaune is hitting on Weiss and Pyrrha to convey a silly attempt at being sexy. I quite like it. it's like a little potato doing a sexy pose on the bed. :]

Speaking of Jaune, if you go to the author's page, they have episodes one through six dubbed, and Jaune's introduction was heralded with lots of "EZ ! ! 2333" as in Ezreal from League of Legends.

Gaming jokes seem to abound. On the cliff, they reference DPS and Buffs. Seems to be a World of Warcraft reference, all the students getting ready on the cliff must be similar to a raid, probably Molten Core, since that was the first Raid Dungeon. :P

Also on the cliff, Starcraft jokes about Lost Temple, Big Brother Watching You, and Jaune getting tossed merits a "Wingardium Leviosa" from the Dubber's comments.

Pyrrha's save of Jaune earns her "First Blood", heh.

I am also fairly certain that the tree Ruby slashes down in frustration after her argument with Weiss has a lengthy comment-based conversation about how it was injured beginning with it making a QAQ face. Very funny conceptually, even if I don't know the contents of the joke. :B

When Jaune and Pyrrha talk about Aura, the Chinese dub I think directly compares it to Evangelion's AT Field, and several people in the comments talk about it before the dub mentions it.

I very much enjoy how most of the jokes still work in Chinese, because at apropos moments, the screen will get covered in "233333333333".

Very fun to watch if you've watched the episodes enough to remember most of the dialogue themes, so the commentary will fill in the emotional context with a well placed table flip or 233 or what have you. :0)

edit: Isn't comic-kitten Chinese? Could she help us decipher some of the more esoteric stuff? :O
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Tenshi Nova » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:23 am

I thought she was in China. ik very few things about Chinese media tendencies because my family asks me to help the communication between here and there.

That was a fun read tho, I dislike Chinese music with a passion...I think it better suits people with Chinese as their first language.
Another small note, when ever I point something out in League, a couple months later people come out talking about the Chinese meta, which includes some of the things I've noticed and practice. I think it has something to do with the culture, but it's fun seeing that I think similar to native Chinese xD
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby kinetik07 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:57 am

If you want to see what some of the other easterners think, you should check out the rwby episodes on nicovideo. There's a lot of comments on episode 8 where they kill the scorpion and raven, http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm21764411, although, you need to make an account on nicovideo.jp(google how to). Or you can use mine,
username: apathy07@yahoo.com
pass: snafucomics

this is what the login button looks like

Also, if you're seeing a lot of English, that means you need to change your region and language at the bottom of the web page or you won't see the comments

Postby BeeAre » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:23 pm

oh fun give me a moment. lots of wwww all around.

lots of 888 too which is Pachi for clapping. Applause. :0)
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
BR

Postby ari-6 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:07 pm

New episode!
http://roosterteeth.com/home.php
I feel that now that the scroll has been introduced it hints more towards Jaune becoming a strategist, using the scrolls to plan his team mates moves.

The tournament ark. Yet another anime trope that Monty could not refuse.

Usamimi FTW! Yet another anime trope that Monty could not pass up. Except I do not know if this one is really a trope.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby BeeAre » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:24 pm

Nora takes the lead with mafia punishment suggestion! What will Yang do next episode to recover?

Bunny girl. Purpose? OTP? Who knows.
BR

Postby MERASMUS! » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:00 pm

Oh it's Thursday already. That's fast for the the considerable hellhole I've been in with my biology assignments in school.
Oh hello Soldier

Postby Tenshi Nova » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:00 pm

btw, I was talking to a friend from China today.
233 is basically like laughing and banging your hands on the table, the more 3s the more you bang.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby rac7d » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:08 am

I really wanted to like Cardin. I figured he would be a jerk, but I didnt think he be a complete ass hat who picked on girls and bunnies. I mean seriously what the hell is wrong with him. ImageNot to mention i thought this school would be more college less highschool-ish, they are all 17 and gonn be there for 4 years. To bad all of Juan close freinds here are women, they can't help him without emasculating him further. There a lot of speculation that Cardin and Juan have some family ties, (I don’t think so) but, if it is true then its probably Cardin side with the money and Juan with Family prized possession. Anyway even Draco Malfoy had a change of heart. Still have my finger crossed he hooks up with yang. He is so her type.

The weapon Cardin was using, a mace/baseball bat thing? I was expecting a large axe, cause of his size. I wonder who he will be facing during the Tournament arc/Festival that will conclude RWBY. Nothing important ever happens in those things in an anime. Nope nothing at all.

Velvet has a detailed model so she must be important. I don't know why I am surprised Fauna attended the same schools as everyone else. Ozpin would not discriminate I guess that’s a bonus of the darkened figures for background characters. What kind of weapons will she have, I wanted to say Bow but I'm not sure if that fits in with everything we have seen up to now. Maybe knives, I sure she quick and nimble.

Did anyone else expect Blake to step in or take that situation more personal? She gave him a quick glare, but then returned to reading her book. I wonder if it is because she might already know that people like him are jerk and can't be reasoned with. But I wish she went to check on Velvet. Then again I sure she use to this treatment as well. If the next segment is gonnna conlude this Juan episode fine, but I hope a Blake centric episode is next, wouldn’t mind a dash of yang while we’re at it too.

Postby ari-6 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:19 pm

Hurray, I missed you and your gifs. I am really expecting it to turn out that Blake is a fauna and I am hoping for some character development between her and Wiess. If wiess' parents turn out to be antagonists, it would be really very interesting to see a mansion skyscraper siege. I am as surprised as you are that Blake just did nothing.

Postby Mercen-X » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:38 am

rac7d wrote:Cardin. I figured he would be a jerk, but I didnt think he be a complete ass hat who picked on girls and bunnies. Not to mention i thought this school would be more college less highschool-ish, they are all 17 and be there for 4 years.
There a lot of speculation that Cardin and Jaune have some family ties, if true then probably Cardin side with the money and Jaune with Family prized possession.
The weapon Cardin was using, a mace/baseball bat thing? I was expecting a large axe, cause of his size. I wonder who he will be facing during the Tournament arc/Festival that will conclude RWBY.

So far, Cardin's pranks have seemed rather high schoolish, but bear in mind, people don't mature at a desirable rate or even at a set rate. A lot of people straight out of high school (a lot of 17/18-year-olds) are complete vermin scattering out of the wall. I know of 25-30-year-olds who still pull petty pranks. Frankly, I'm more concerned about Cardin's scene-ending Kubrick Stare. Sure he was picking on Velvet, but he seems to be deliberately targeting Jaune and his pranks have quickly escalated from harmless to possibly injurious. It's been posited that Pyrrha's Jaune's family's hired on guard meant to protect Jaune and that if that is in fact the case, then perhaps Cardin is the very (assassin) danger his family feared would be present at the school. Cardin is apparently based on Cardinal Bishop Henry Beaufort of Winchester, the man responsible for Jeanne D'Arc's prosecution as a witch. The RWBY wiki has suggested Jaune and Ruby may have common ancestry linking Jaune's GGGF with Summer Rose, the name fans attribute both to the mysterious White Cloak and Ruby's ancestor (suspected to be depicted by the statue Jaune stares at in the opening sequence). If Cardin and Jaune are related... *gunshot*thump*... anyway... When you mentioned prized possession, I assume you mean the Sword and Sheath... meanwhile, I believe Cardin's mace is a morning star in design, likely it shares Weiss's Dust-Action function.

Backpedaling to the basis for Cardin, it's been my suggestion that perhaps all of CRDL are rivals to JNPR, their names somehow reflecting origins to Huns/Mongols, Persians/Trojans/Romans, Anglo-Saxons, what-have-you... Russell in Anglo-Saxon means Fox; skylarks are most common in Asia; Dove Bronzewing would remain the most difficult one to place.

Skree

Postby BeeAre » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:16 am

Ah Internet speculation. Always the most dangerous and effective at scouring literally any plot detail if obseessed over enough.
BR

Postby ari-6 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Yes, about the statue, the first time I saw it I assumed it was his grandfather which would explain his expression but I had not really noticed the hooded girl until you pointed it out. I know it is completely baseless but I feel just the fact that they both have hooded cloaks is enough to assume a connection. As for Jaunn's parents hiring Pyrrha to protect him, I do not feel Jaunn seems like the kind of character who would have rich parents and I assume you would need to be rich to hire her. I could see Wiess' parents doing something like that but there has been nothing to suggest it. If you were right and Jaunn found out I think it would seriously affect his confidence. Short of a shared history I can not see any ulterior motive Pyrrha might have for protecting Jaunn and he had never seen her before except on a cereal box so that can't be it.

I feel like Cardin is more of the rival character and will be an ally in a couple of seasons.

Postby Mercen-X » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:27 am

Given the original pronunciation of David is something like Dowad, it's possible Dove is a partial allusion to that explaining how he would be a rival to a Greco-Roman like Pyrrha.

Skree

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:22 am

Mercen-X wrote:Given the original pronunciation of David is something like Dowad

I learned something new today.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:12 pm

It's thursday! (Actually it is friday here)http://roosterteeth.com/home.php
Honestly I have to say Wiess' character development in the badge and the burden and now Jaunn's character development, the "I want to be a hero, not a damsel in distress" thing. It all feels like it is happening too quickly. Usally after a season of filler episodes, the series only covers the character's issues shortly before the season finally.

On another note, tell me Blake's eyes don't look like they can see in the dark?

Also I am pretty sure Ozpin already knew about Jaunn sneaking in and allowed him to join anyway.

Postby MERASMUS! » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:40 pm

Yes because clearly Ozpin is all knowing. I wouldn't be surprised if this blackmail is resolved quickly in an episode or two.

A few criticisms and other comments I have with this show now includes, Mediocre facial animations. Rushed character development. Jaune is more arrogant and selfish than I previously thought. This new teacher is inhumanly fast from constantly drinking coffee. And last of all for this annoying character I wouldn't be surprised if the bully (whoever his name is) is kicked out instead for blackmail, of course it would be a good way to make him the real Sith Lord he always wanted to be because he would be a better antagonist than he is right now by working for the bad guys instead. Because I prefer an actual villain than some stupid asshole bully that no one likes.

I guess I've been watching cinemasins too much on youtube. That, or I'm just quite disappointed on characters. It almost seems that more time is spent on the supporting characters than the actual main characters
Oh hello Soldier

Postby Tenshi Nova » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:46 pm

For me I have 2 ways I personally want to see this go out...

Ozpin knew, Jaune is awesome, Cardin gets reprimanded in some way.

Jaune continues to get bullied. Cardin does something over the top. As Cardin is about to be punished, he reveals Jaune's secret. Jaune gets punished instead. We watch Jaune fall to the dark side.

How it will actually go out, idk. But so far the show seems predicable. I was kind of expecting Juane to have entered due to his family's 'generous donations', but I guess this story works out.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby MERASMUS! » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:49 pm

He'll be like a better version of Rosh Pennin from SW: Jedi academy! He was my only complaint in that game.

Then again Jaune can forget about his ego and actually get Pyrrha for help this time, everyone (except the bully) can be happy!

this post is Leet
Last edited by MERASMUS! on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh hello Soldier

Postby Tenshi Nova » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:51 pm

To think, all Pyrra wanted was the D, and she got all these emotional confessions.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby MERASMUS! » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:00 pm

That makes sense. Absurd, but logical.
Oh hello Soldier

Postby rac7d » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Well this epiode pretty mcuch ruined Jaun for me. The reveal that Juan isn't up to par physicaly but is also dumb and cheated his way into school. I guess i was just overhyped up from episode 8 when i thought he was gonna be some super intuitive,and itlligent youg guy to make up for his subpar fighting ability. But know this lil $#!# snuck into school and has the nerve to sleep in class, when he stol a spot from some kid who actually worked to get into the acacdemy. I mean usually when someone is smart enough to snaeak there way into the school they put insome kind of efort to prove they belong there. I was totally disgusted by that. I always though what put Juan over the edge was on his transcript may of been some kind of legacy. So he confess this all to Pyrra and has the nerve to tell her to go away. This strong, beautiful , and big breasted( girl giving yang some competition) offers him one on one practice time and he says no? I mean there having no game and then there jsut being dumb,Cardin should pick on him.

Anyway no way Jaun can outsmart Ozpin, who does everything he does for a reason,(dumbledore) Im sure Juan wil be fine, worst comes to worst,glynda makes him scrub the mess hall. I wanted the Juan story/arc(no pun intended) to end this episode. we only have 2/ or if you wanna look at it as one more episode before the finaly.

aside from story animation in this episode was awful, why so stiff? The hands omg everyones hand looked huge and wouldnt not move naturally. Like they all had authritus or somthing. I think caridin leg dissapered for a moment too.I know ther is limited animation but that is sloppy, I woulndt buy the dvd if this was the first episode I saw.

Fauna can see in the dark, like cats... when will we have a blake focus episode?

Postby ari-6 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:35 am

rac7d wrote:Fauna can see in the dark, like cats... when will we have a blake focus episode?
I feel like they are saving this for the reveal. I think she needs to have at least some interactions with Wiese first. Also I doubt Ozpin would let him in if he did not think he deserved to be there and would also not let someone lose their place. Like you said, Dumbledore.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:16 am

Blake and Weiss. Probably nature abuse will be involved.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)