Powerpuff Girls Return? Edit: False Edit2: True?

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Powerpuff Girls Return? Edit: False Edit2: True?

Postby BeeAre » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 pm

Hiroko wrote:So, this was released today:

Sung by Ringo Starr, which is kinda funny.

i have extremely mixed feelings about this.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:37 pm

My thoughts on the special in the nut shell right there BeeAre.
Bark

Postby Exodis » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:01 pm

I hope it doesn't end up like Teen Titans Go!
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Deemed as the best, Outlawed as the worst.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Kid

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:15 pm

I can live with that. But if its like PpGZ then screw dat.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby Exodis » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:27 pm

I still can't believe they turned Teen Titans, a great show that I still love today, to a fuckin' "SUPER HAPPY GO TIME" cartoon that just looks ridiculous.
I saw one (ONE) informercial of it and I was just flabbergasted at how "uhhhhh..." it looked.

But anywho, this new PPG: the art looks... eh. Too cutsey, in my opinion. But can't judge a book by it's cover, so I guess we have to see.
The Kid

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:28 am

Teen Titans GO! makes a shit ton of pokes at the Marvel Universe. It might be ridiculous, but they reference the old series a lot. Like the episode where Raven went off against Dr.Light, leading to her emotional personalities being showcased.

I don't want the same for PPG, but can't expect too much.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hiroko » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:42 pm

...I just realized something. I think the redesign of the Powerpuff Girls is mean to be a callback to Craig McCracken's very first designs of the girls (namely the eyes, but also a tiny bit of the hair and the legs). See for yourself:

Link to the deviation itself.
The Sentimental One

Postby Exodis » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:06 pm

Huh, interesting...
The Kid

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:40 pm

That also might explain the different colored shoes on the new ones; if I recall, the girls in the ORIGINAL Pilot (the one where there still called the Whoopass girls, and Unitonum is old and bald) had colored shoes
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby OrangeBee » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:17 pm

BeeAre wrote:
Hiroko wrote:So, this was released today:

Sung by Ringo Starr, which is kinda funny.

i have extremely mixed feelings about this.

I saw your youtube comment.
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

Exodis: Image us as the Camelot, the guy going as a troll/Krest, and Hiroko as... the bunny.
ShitPoster

Postby Hiroko » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:12 am

So I came across this, which is a sneak peak of the first couple of minutes for the special, and...oh lord, the animation is sorta painful for me to watch...

The Powerpuff Girls Special: Dance Pantsed "Sneak Peek"
The Sentimental One

Postby Exodis » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:36 am

I'm trying to find the best words to describe that sneak peek...
Well, how about a pro:
-I chuckled once.
Now the cons:
-It's just god damn silly. And no, that's not a good thing.
-The art was interesting but... idk...

All in all, I just have mixed feelings about it.
Oh well, guess we'll just have to wait and see for tonight.

Also, I was wondering this while watching the video: did most of the voice actors from the original PPG reprise their roles in the new one.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Deemed as the best, Outlawed as the worst.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Kid

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:31 pm

Well that sneak peek was... Well... Hmm...

For the first few seconds I was wondering if there was something wrong with the video or if the movement was actually that bad. Seriously, the character movement was so jerky and unnatural that it was terrible to watch. It looked more like bad stop motion than 3D animation. It was so wonky that I'm still not sure if I'm just having trouble with Daily Motion or if the movement is really that bad.

The banter wasn't very good either. It seemed like it was trying to be quick and witty, but I didn't even chuckle.
Also, I hope that for the rest of the show the girls actually act like themselves and not some extremely simplified caricature of themselves. I wasn't expecting the short to pay the bizarre amount of attention that I payed to the six seasons of character development in the original series, but I didn't think they'd be as one note as they were back when McCraken was doing the Whoop Ass Girls shorts.
Yes the voice actors are as great as ever, but they didn't say anything interesting.

The only interesting thing I could find in the short amount of time was people shouting at each other in traffic jams and that the Utonium house has gotten a decent update.
Also, the scene with Ms. Belum and the Mayor was kind of funny, but anything involving the Mayor is the one time when you actually can write dumbed down dialogue, because as we all know they Mayor went from a somewhat dimwitted and at times down right crooked politician who also might have been a former "Sugar Daddy" (yes that's canon) to being a total idiot that kids can relate to more and laugh at.

It may be kind harsh to judge so much based off of a four minute long video, but I haven't gotten a good first impression. Maybe the rest of it will improve way beyond those rocky first four minutes. One can only hope.
If not, well its just a short, its not like CN is trying to make a series out of this...

Also, to answer your question Exodis, all the voices I heard in this sound just like the ones from the original, so I'm guessing yes.
Bark

Postby CTCFirebird » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:46 pm

I am the Winner

Postby rac7d » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:41 pm

So bubbles is a good dancer is cannon now
Good looks to BeeAre

Postby Tenshi Nova » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:05 pm

Seemed like they tried really hard to be funny.    I laughed at the punched through the Earth part, and that's basically it.   
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby CTCFirebird » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:09 pm

Yeah, Buttercup made it all the way to China. That was pretty funny. So far the episode was alright. I do like how they did the house, but that's about it. I wonder what's next.
I am the Winner

Postby rac7d » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:16 pm

Was it hard to watch for anyone else. The it felt like jerky and stoppish. I'm not sure how else to describe it.
I thought past professor was funny, mullet and muscles lol.

It also reminded me of that music video

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:34 pm

I just finished watching the special and... well... umm... Some of this may change after I let the show settle a bit more, but for now here are my first thoughts.

It was okay. Despite a pretty lack luster first impression, it was okay. Nothing special despite it being a special, but it was okay. It was just average, nothing super amazing, but I was worried that they would totally mess it up and they didn't. Maybe they were actually worried about screwing it up so they kept it simple and safe.

I still don't like the animation though. The movement is still a little jerky and not very fun to watch. I feel like these guys don't do a lot of 3D animation so they haven't gotten good at it yet. Or they just decided to do this as a stylistic choice, but not every stylistic choice is a good one. Some can be down right awful.

So yeah, the animation wasn't very interesting, but the gags were alright, nothing very funny, but it wasn't terrible. I've seen better, but I've seen worse. But good lord is it bright, its really, really bright. I think it would have done the show good to cut down on all the shinyness.

As for the girls themselves, their characters were okay to. Bubbles seems a little crazier than she use to be in this one and she seems boarder line out of it. But they did get one thing about her right, how she no longer takes Buttercup's shit and is a bit of a sarcastic brat. I didn't like her more... naive moments in the beginning.
Blossom is basic, just basic. She was kind of like what she was in the beginning of the series.
Buttercup was just about right on though.

The temper tantrum the girls threw was kind of funny, but them overreacting to how the dance game was "tearing them appart" was head scratching to me. So what if Bubbles is into the game, you all just got it she'll play it for a bit, get the high score and she'll be less glued to it after that.

(I'm also not going to nit-pick that ice breath was Blossom's thing and not Bubbles'... Whoops I just did.)

I also kind of liked Mojo's new design. He looked like an old guy.
He was also a lot crazier than he use to be. I guess you can only take so many shots to the head before you go stock raving bonkers.

I vastly prefer the much more methodical and thoughtful Mojo, but this unhinged one isn't that offensive. He's just not as threatening and is more of a joke now. I feel like old Mojo got the shit end of the stick with this. Poor guy, he actually use to be a real threat who just wanted to watch the world burn... or save it... or whatever Mojo wanted.

I could nit-pick the living shit out of it and point out EVERY THING that bothered me with it, but I doubt any of you want to hear that.

Also, I'm sure BeeAre might do that soon if something bothered him and I doubt any of you want to hear that twice.

So, my final verdict.
It was just okay. I don't think there was anything special about this special, but it was okay.
Not bad, not great, just okay which is a lot more than I thought it was going to be. The animation wasn't great and I found it hard to enjoy, but the writing managed to be a little inspired if not as clever as the original show's.
The original show wasn't afraid to be a little adult and surprisingly mature at times (no I don't mean the sex jokes), but I don't know if CN would even let them do that these days.
Other than that the problems I have with it are just stuff that a super fan of me would take issue with.
(Like Bubbles using ice breath, Mojo being a joke, and Bubbles being so out of it I actually questioned her sanity, I always kind of had, but not as much as I did here and I'm comparing six full seasons of random freak outs from Bubbles to a single half hour. Also, Blossom being kind of... whatever she was in this, and I seriously doubt dancing would have ruined the group dynamic Bloss.)

Again though, these are just my first thoughts, after I let the show settle some and think about it I may view it as less meh... or I might end up down right hating it. I'm not sure yet.

My one hope is that it gets some of those youngsters out there to watch the original series.

Now for some replies to our friendly-friend-people-friends:

rac7d wrote:Was it hard to watch for anyone else. The it felt like jerky and stoppish. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

I don't want to say I hated the animation, because hate is such a strong word, but I will say I didn't like it to a very big degree.
I compared it to bad stop motion in one post and I stand by that.

CTCFirebird wrote:Yeah, Buttercup made it all the way to China. That was pretty funny. So far the episode was alright. I do like how they did the house, but that's about it. I wonder what's next.

I liked the house also, it was one of the few things in this that I thought was pretty cool.

Tenshi Nova wrote:Seemed like they tried really hard to be funny.

Agreed.
Bark

Postby Sigment » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:06 pm

I can put up with the animation style, but if the show's always gonna be this ridiculous plot-wise then I'll just stick to the original. At least there, they try to be somewhat serious at times.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Exodis » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:48 pm

Wow Mutt, I really liked your opinion on the new PPG.

I really want to hear BR's take on the show
The Kid

Postby Princess » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:52 pm

I felt like I could have gotten used to the animation, if the story wasn't so horrible. They turned the girls into whiney, spoiled brats. Their tantrum in the store, over the game, made me wanna flip a table.
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:57 pm

they look adorable but were annoying as shit, just like you'd expect a real life spoiled kid to be
i concur with the flipping of tables
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Biostar » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:05 pm

This needed to be longer. I felt that they tried to cram too many jokes and plot into so little time. I would look away for a second and miss something.

Postby Princess » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:02 pm

Everyone was talking extremely fast. It's like they had the fast forward button on, but slow enough so you could at least understand.
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)