The Toonami Thread

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Toonami Thread

Postby Xendyl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:51 pm

TheMadDoctor wrote:Those last ones, all I saw was the straw hats were getting their asses handed to them by a cheating and deceptive crew. That is not normal. But this episode was a bit better.

Yeah, one of my biggest peeves with this arc. As much as I understand how Nomura made this for fun, I'd rather have the Straw Hats just kick everyone's ass in a curbstomp battle and move on.

Postby Rushira » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:32 pm

Aw, I really like Soul Eater though...

Is it only the last few episodes that go a different path?

Stuff like that always seems to spoil anime (except, I think, when it comes to Sailor Moon - but only because I watched the enire series first as a little girl and didn't even know about manga). When Fullmetal A did that I was a bit dissapointed until Brotherhood saved the day, yet at the same time it sucks that people have to get it right the second time around (not that I'm not anxiously waiting for the Sailor Moon reboot).

If Soul Eater does go way out the pastor I might just read the manga after the series ends or something.

Help?
"I'm glad we had this talk, now shut the hell up."

Postby CrimsonCreed » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:39 am

ok so i found one of my old time favorites on youtube called Blue Gender and before I started watching it I thought this show would be a perfect addition to the toonami lineup, but as i started watching it i almost immediately picked up on what was wrong with this anime. Frankly it's kick ass but i think it is in need of a 2013 work over, especially the voice acting for some of the characters, they just sound so dull and boring, and i don't think toonami is into blatant sexual exposure. Idk but i'd like to hear your personal opinions on this subject.
Nothing is true Everything is permmited

Postby Wulfespinndel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:39 pm

I'm tired with the current state of the Toonami block honestly.

My problem with the block right now is that it currently confines itself to action, when I feel like we should be more concerned about being true to one of its slogans: building a better cartoon show". I love many action shows that's on the block right now, especially Soul Eater. However, I find many of these shows to be quite childish. I would probably tick people on the Toonami forum at adult swim off for saying that, but seriously, it's true; the one thing I notice that the big three have in common is that their protagonists are for the most part not even adults yet. They're still teenagers. Protagonists from the other shows are also young adults. While the action in these shows and others are great, I find them to be more flashy and reckless.

High expectations from fans and certain critics alike have also prevented Toonami from evolving into something even better than it was before it got canceled. I'm not saying that support anime drama being on the block because there is just too many but I would love to see Toonami show a variety of shows in addition to western cartoons being on there.

I'm saying all of this because I recently started getting into other anime without any sort of taste or expectations, and I'm happy to say that I'm beginning to find quite a few, which will hopefully become many. Serial Experiments Lain in particular is pretty good.

I understand that the way the block presents their shows will not fit non-action series however, so much of what I said is impossible. But I would love to see Toonami in this sense one day. We as fans are kind of picky.
This too shall pass.

Postby Cerulean » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:31 pm

@Crimson I've never seen the show before, but apparently it has aired on Adult Swim before (At least according to Wikipedia). Here's a quote:

Blue Gender Wikipedia Page wrote: In 2003, Blue Gender was released on American television as part of Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, though it had originally been planned for Toonami, and was thus edited to remove its graphic violence, nudity, and sex scenes

That being said, I don't doubt that it could get added to the line up again in the future. How censored was Deadman Wonderland (Didn't watch it)? If they did/didn't censor that then it will probably be the determining factor as to whether or not Blue Gender (should it return to Toonami) is censored. Also, wasn't there an uncensored episode of Tenchi Muyo that aired a while back (Can't remember)?

@Bellorosso I am content with the current block, however I will admit that I wouldn't mind seeing more shows on Toonami (Particularly sports anime) in the future. Unfortunately, I doubt that we'll see anything non-action anytime soon (if ever). The first reason being (as you stated) the way their lineup is formed. It feels like (as far as I can remember) Toonami's programming (past and present) involves shows that have some form of action (Hamtaro excluded (completely forgot this was on Toonami at some point)). I skimmed over the list of past shows, and true enough I couldn't find one show that didn't involve some form of action. The second reason involves this statement that I found on it's Wikipedia page:

Toonami Wikipedia Page wrote:Toonami is an animated programming block on Adult Swim geared toward action-oriented programming, primarily consisting of American cartoons and Japanese anime

The final reason would probably involve the safety factor. Which shows will cause the number of viewers for Cartoon Network to increase the most (Please note that I am unaware of how many viewers currently tune in for Toonami)? For the most part, it seems that they are choosing shows that will bring in a high volume of viewers for the network (or possibly basing their decisions on blu-ray disc/dvd sales). I wouldn't be surprised if other popular shows (maybe Hunter x Hunter, Fairy Tail or something) are added to the line up once other show(s) end their reign. One thing that I am hoping that this Toonami continues from the previous Toonami is Miyazaki month (Doesn't have to necessarily be a month). Actually, I wouldn't mind more movies in general so it doesn't necessarily have to be films that Miyazaki made/produced.
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:08 pm

bluebluetopaz wrote:@Crimson I've never seen the show before, but apparently it has aired on Adult Swim before (At least according to Wikipedia). Here's a quote:

Blue Gender Wikipedia Page wrote: In 2003, Blue Gender was released on American television as part of Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, though it had originally been planned for Toonami, and was thus edited to remove its graphic violence, nudity, and sex scenes

That being said, I don't doubt that it could get added to the line up again in the future. How censored was Deadman Wonderland (Didn't watch it)? If they did/didn't censor that then it will probably be the determining factor as to whether or not Blue Gender (should it return to Toonami) is censored. Also, wasn't there an uncensored episode of Tenchi Muyo that aired a while back (Can't remember)?

@Bellorosso I am content with the current block, however I will admit that I wouldn't mind seeing more shows on Toonami (Particularly sports anime) in the future. Unfortunately, I doubt that we'll see anything non-action anytime soon (if ever). The first reason being (as you stated) the way their lineup is formed. It feels like (as far as I can remember) Toonami's programming (past and present) involves shows that have some form of action (Hamtaro excluded (completely forgot this was on Toonami at some point)). I skimmed over the list of past shows, and true enough I couldn't find one show that didn't involve some form of action. The second reason involves this statement that I found on it's Wikipedia page:

Toonami Wikipedia Page wrote:Toonami is an animated programming block on Adult Swim geared toward action-oriented programming, primarily consisting of American cartoons and Japanese anime

The final reason would probably involve the safety factor. Which shows will cause the number of viewers for Cartoon Network to increase the most (Please note that I am unaware of how many viewers currently tune in for Toonami)? For the most part, it seems that they are choosing shows that will bring in a high volume of viewers for the network (or possibly basing their decisions on blu-ray disc/dvd sales). I wouldn't be surprised if other popular shows (maybe Hunter x Hunter, Fairy Tail or something) are added to the line up once other show(s) end their reign. One thing that I am hoping that this Toonami continues from the previous Toonami is Miyazaki month (Doesn't have to necessarily be a month). Actually, I wouldn't mind more movies in general so it doesn't necessarily have to be films that Miyazaki made/produced.

There's one big problem I can see with a Miyazaki month staying around, namely that TCM ALREADY does one. And since Cartoon Network is also a Turner network, there is a possibility they won't want one to interfere with the others. Plus the number of Miyazaki movies CN can show is smaller, since there are a handful that they could NEVER get on a channel that is still, ostensibly kid/teen/young adult oriented (the day CN decides to show Grave of the Fireflies as part of the month, I'll happily rescind that comment. Heck, I'm not sure if CN would be willing to show Pom Poko since someone might worry about all of the scrotum jokes)
At the moment I'd say AS is sort of drawn into a corner. All of the shows it currently is showing new episodes of are LONG ways off from finishing up (in the case of Bleach, I'm not sure if the show is even finished in Japan, I think it isn't). Take them off, and they'll get complaints from any viewers that are following them. Keep things as they are and they'll get complaints about the lineup getting locked. Replace the re-run shows with new shows and not only will they get complaints from the people who like those shows, but possibly from people sore at having to stay up six hours to see all the new stuff (plus running twelve all new shows might cost more than AS can afford to budget)
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Cerulean » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:30 pm

I wasn't aware of TCM having a Miyazaki month. From what I remember, the only ones they showed back then were Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky and Princess Mononoke. What you said also reminded me that some of Miyazaki's films were promoted by Disney at some point or another. I guess that would be two things to worry about (in addition to TCM having their own Miyazaki month).

You're definitely right about the network being in a corner right now. Bleach has at least another year before it can hope to catch up to the anime in Japan (provided they show 1 new episode every weekend).   The manga for Bleach is ongoing but the anime series is long done.    For the others (Naruto & One Piece) it will take much longer. They could always add more nights to the Toonami schedule, but then they would probably be getting complaints from the people who work during the week or go to school. Similar problem with running a spontaneous marathon every once in a while.
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:07 am

Well, to be fair, I should have said that I am aware the HAD a Miyazaki month, whether they've kept doing it I don't know (and I should have actually said it is a studio Ghibli month, they show all of their films, not just Miyazaki's). It certainly was a LOT more that those three; the first year I remember seeing Pom Poko,Porco Rosso, Whispers of the Heart, The Cat Returns, My Neighbor Totoro and so on. I know they did it at least one more year after the first one, because I remember them actually showing Grave of the Fireflies then (they had refused the first year, they said that was a little too intense even for them.) And it isn't just that Diseny promoted them, I think Disney still has a contract to be Miyazaki's exclusive distributor to the US; EVERY movie he does has to go through them (though that may have ended by now).
Actually I think of the new episode stuff, Soul Eater will end first; if I recall from the TV.com listing, it only has 52 or so episodes (so it should be done in about a year give or take weeks they take off). They could bring Monster in, I guess; since they already showed it on Syfy and Showtime B (again both TBS channels) the probably still have broadcast rights for it.
Personally I think that the first show they should be trying to get their hands on is that Inuyasha legends one (the one they did to finally wrap up the anime so that it didn't end halfway through. It not that I love the show overmuch, but givne the degree AS milks it (it is, after all the only one that still gets a double episode) and doing the equivalent of showing new episodes seems like a guaranteed winner. By that same logic, when they DO do a few movies (as they tend to around the holday season, they might want to go for that Code Geass OAV that I recall hearing about (assuming CG is by then stuck back in the rerun lineup)
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Cerulean » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:54 am

Those movies sure do bring back wonderful memories. You're right, Soul Eater will be the first of the new episode shows to end. It should be done sometime early next year (if they keep the one episode a week thing going). I would love it if they brought in Inuyasha Legends, especially since I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I have a sneaky feeling though that Fairy Tail (well that or Hunter x Hunter) will probably be the next one to come onto Toonami. It would complete the major Shounen group that's on Toonami right now (Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece).    Add in the fact that it (Fairy Tail) has also finished airing in Japan and that is another plus for the show    The other option that I remember seeing somewhere was Sword Art Online (Edit: Found it on Crunchyroll, it is coming on the 27th and airing right after Soul Eater. So IGPX is getting pushed back 30 minutes. Also of note is that Big O Season 2 will be coming on after Eureka 7. No more Thundercats and Sym-Biotic Titan after this Saturday). I've heard good things about Monster (not sure if it is my cup of tea or not though), though it would probably make a nice addition should they need a new show to put in Soul Eater's place.
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby CrimsonCreed » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:03 am

bluebluetopaz wrote:@Crimson I've never seen the show before, but apparently it has aired on Adult Swim before (At least according to Wikipedia). Here's a quote:

Yes both Deadman Wonderland and Tenchi Muyo both had their obscenities and they were graphically censored, but my real question is why not do the same thing they did with Star Trek to Blue Gender and give it a whole new look?
bluebluetopaz wrote:If they did/didn't censor that then it will probably be the determining factor as to whether or not Blue Gender (should it return to Toonami) is censored.

This show i believe is graphically censored in English, I'm not sure seeing as i've only been able to watch the japan subbed version which wasn't censored, but if not surely adjustments could be made for it to be dubbed viewable by toonami standards

Postby Rushira » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Bleach as been the midnight token child for years, they'll never touch it.

Mon-Kitsune wrote: Replace the re-run shows with new shows and not only will they get complaints from the people who like those shows, but possibly from people sore at having to stay up six hours to see all the new stuff (plus running twelve all new shows might cost more than AS can afford to budget)

I think even if they had the money, they wouldn't do it. No one in their right minds CAN stay up for six hours straight in the name of Anime - those who have tried have succeeded in pathetic numbers and never for weeks in a row.

The whole point of reruns in the twilight hours is just for people to doze off in a blanket of warm Japanese animation.

(...which is exactly why Bleach, One Piece, and Soul Eater come on first, because even though [as] is for adults, they know teens and young adults are staying up to watch anime Saturday nights...)

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:47 pm

Oh I'm in complete agreement about that. I've always though they were pushing it with the 2:00-2:30 run of new stuff (of course I am seeing it through my own eyes, eyes that really would like to close for the night by 9:00). Back in college (when they actually showed anime on weeknight too) I ALWAYS fell asleep to the sounds of Inuyasha and Cowboy Bebop. I always assumed that they were simply assuming their audience were those teens and young adults who stayed up all night and slept all day. Unlike me, who schedule required I stay up all night AND all day (In college my first class was 6:00AM, my last at 11:00PM and no breaks in between (well none long enough to sleep.)

Postby The Mad Doctor » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:57 am

I keep on wondering how much longer untill they get started with the next one piece arc. It's currently half an hour of frustration and anger untill I can see Soul eater.
Awaken child and embrace the glory of your jimmies. Know that we are the triune, the eternal will of rustling, and that you are created to serve us.
Shhh no tears only nightmares now

Postby CrimsonCreed » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:28 pm

Question: Does anybody hold high hopes that Attack on Titan will make Toonami's heavy hitting lineup?
I just recently started watching it, and by far it does hold a certain unique candle on it's own in just the first 10 episodes.

Postby Rushira » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm crossing my fingers!
It would rock, but maybe AoT is still to much for toonami to handle. It's a new show and toonami hasn't gotten a really new anime on the block yet (most of the ones they got have been around a while). That, and the fact that its so kickass and popular toonami's funds can't pick it up right now.

@TheMadDoctor: the next 3-4 episodes will rap up the long island fillers, I think. I know for a fact that they're finishing the Davy Back fights soon, even if they stay on the island, so that's a relief.

Postby CrimsonCreed » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:47 pm

isn't this season of one piece the one where usopp and luffy fight it out over who does what with the ship? if so, i can't wait to see it!

Postby Hallow Nova » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:31 pm

They just reached Water 7? I thought they were at least 3 season further. o.o
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby CrimsonCreed » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:41 pm

no no no you jumped the gun there we're still at the dreadfully long davy back fight

Postby Hallow Nova » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:56 pm

Oh god, believe it or not that entire arc was just so they can make a single joke later on. imo, it was worth it.

Talking about the manga
   I love the new place, the clusterfuck amount of badasses and out all brawls.   
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby The Mad Doctor » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:59 pm

I just think it was stupid to start at one of the worst arcs of the series.

I recently noticed that I could watch soul eater on netflix. Weird. I stay up untill 2:00 in the morning to watch something I can watch on a quiet morning.
Awaken child and embrace the glory of your jimmies. Know that we are the triune, the eternal will of rustling, and that you are created to serve us.
Shhh no tears only nightmares now

Postby Hallow Nova » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:02 pm

Honestly speaking, OP has a lot of bad places to start, since the majority of it requires a certain mindset, or experience.

The Davy Back Fights, as annoying as they are, provided a decent reference. Also noting the series love of re-introducing every character(which I fucking love), I predict that we may have to see the Foxy Pirates again.    In the New World that is.   
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Cerulean » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:06 am

We have about 13 weeks (give or take) until Water 7 starts Tenshi. I didn't really care where the show started, as long as it didn't skip Water 7. It's one of my favorites.
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:25 am

I'm not watching it :p, I already have.    I'm just waiting on Punk Hazard to finish up, before watching the whole arc, and I can't wait for when the current arc gets animated.   
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Cerulean » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:36 am

Same, I just want to watch for the nostalgia c:.   I can't wait for this arc in manga to be animated either.   
Tumblr
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:56 am

I love you, in a platonic, anime love kind of way. I'm going to stop before I get any creepier.
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)