Ruining Your Childhood

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Ruining Your Childhood

Postby dj1107 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Now I don't know how this forum works but if we're talking about what ruined my childhood in a bad way I can sum it up in 5 words "Fred the show" & "Problem Solverz." I'm 20 & both these shows piss me off because it just shows that their is someone at both company that just said "It's loud bright & obnoxious kids will like it." I hate Problem Solverz because it's a goddamn eyesore & I find it a little weird that when Symbionic Titan was cancelled this "piece of shit" popped up.
Fred the show on the other hand I hate it more then Problem Solverz because of A. I've hated that unfunny son of a bitch since the start of youtube. B. Cartoon Network actually has some saving graces as of now i.e. Regular Show, Thundercats, DC Nation, Gumball, MAD TV S.M.F.A., & Adventue time. Nick got jack-fucking-shit to defend against Fred the Show (except for maybe PR Samurai but thats another story). & C. They really couldn't find anyone on the internet that has talent I mean shit A Chad Vader show would be better Then Fred.
Pizza mozzarella, Pizza mozzarella, rella rella.

Postby Hiroko » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:25 pm

The meme has to do with looking back on cartoons that you loved when you were a kid and seeing something in them that makes them not as innocent as you thought before because you never noticed it or it went over your head as a kid. "Ruining your childhood" as in "ruining the innocent memories of your childhood."

Like the dirty jokes and innuendos in Rocko's Modern Life.
The Sentimental One

Postby Saint Soul » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:55 pm

the problem for me is i knew the innuendos as a child.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Dibullba » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:26 am

Soulchild wrote:the problem for me is i knew the innuendos as a child.

It is not just Innuendo's though, it can involve just about anything that makes you view the childhood cartoon in an unclean way. For example editing a couple scenes from Batman can take the words out of context

Postby dj1107 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:12 am

Yeah I found a good one from Hey Arnold!
Have a watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVRoBes9 ... re=related

Postby Kyan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:39 am

Nowadays I think they take the 'Think of the Children' thing a bit too far in cartoons. Just my two cents on that though.
You Just Gotta Believe!!!
yukkuri shiteite ne!

Postby Dibullba » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:04 am

Kyan wrote:Nowadays I think they take the 'Think of the Children' thing a bit too far in cartoons. Just my two cents on that though.

Oh no doubt. Cartoons at this current point can be categorized in three parts.

1. Aimed for Children: ones fitting within this category will usually involve completely clean sense of entertainment. This alone would not be so much of an issue, however the problem occurs with these cartoons not taking the targeted audience seriously. Kids are not as dumb as they look or at least I would hope so. Primarily the biggest issue being a lack of educational applications that are entertaining enough to hold the attention of kids due to a downward spiral ever since the 80s that cartoons "are for kids" which is why I think the 90s sort of had a perfect balance on the format as it fit between the two extremes.

2. Aimed at Teens/Adults: Firstly a huge lack of these are actually around and as mentioned before cartoons these days are more focused towards children. So this category becomes how can companies appeal to older audiences while not losing the children audience. The 90s perfected this pretty well with cartoons like Animaniacs and much more. Currently however cartoons are attempting to use blatant gimmicks to gain an older audience rather than compelling stories such as minor expletives. So by doing so again it insults the intelligence of not only children, but adults as well. At this moment the only cartoons I can say that fit in this category and do not insult the intelligence of both demographics is My Little Pony: FIM, Transformers, and at times MAD can appeal to both audiences.

3. Anime: Foreign cartoons that are primarily aimed towards older audiences, but do have a few forms of exceptions such as those that would appeal to kids like Hanamaru Kindergarten, Digimon, and an even bigger exception of Avatar the Last Airbender (not an anime, but borrows heavily from the style). Bountiful amount of these can be easily found that can appeal to different people based on genre preference so this has become the predominant among the three.

Postby Kyan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:21 am

You accidentally double posted. But that aside I can agree wholeheartedly. I've watched enough western cartoons and anime to get what you're saying. I've lately just been noticing how some shows tend to do sort of the same thing over and over again to the point it gets annoying, but I suppose it's the companies 'playing it safe' as I like to call it.
yukkuri shiteite ne!

Postby Dibullba » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:56 am

Oh my, I double posted. CURSE YOU EDIT BUTTON!!!!!
Last edited by BeeAre on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: next time report your double post and i can delete it without you making another post to explain that you double posted. it serves now just to make you into a public display :0)

Postby Banshee » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Mon-Kitsune wrote:
Banshee wrote:I haven't seen that show in forever! What channel was that show again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiULaXPwfMk&feature=related
I didn't catch what he said till I saw this.

Reminds me of the time in Bioology class when I (who also doesnit always think before he speaks) said "Oh so jellyfish simply suck and blow." or the day back in Colledge when the cafeteria was serving Irish Pot roast (which I had never had before and mentioned this fact to my friends sitting at the table" when they asked how I liked it I said innocently "Not bad. Tastes kind of like my mother's tongue"

How did you even come up with that last one? Thats the strangist simaly I ever read.

All I can think of is the times I made a racial comment and not even realize I said it. (a nonracist can make that mistake)

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:57 pm

Banshee wrote:
Mon-Kitsune wrote:
Banshee wrote:I haven't seen that show in forever! What channel was that show again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiULaXPwfMk&feature=related
I didn't catch what he said till I saw this.

Reminds me of the time in Bioology class when I (who also doesnit always think before he speaks) said "Oh so jellyfish simply suck and blow." or the day back in Colledge when the cafeteria was serving Irish Pot roast (which I had never had before and mentioned this fact to my friends sitting at the table" when they asked how I liked it I said innocently "Not bad. Tastes kind of like my mother's tongue"

How did you even come up with that last one? Thats the strangist simaly I ever read.

All I can think of is the times I made a racial comment and not even realize I said it. (a nonracist can make that mistake)

As for how I came up with it it's pretty simple. One of the things my mother often cooked was (beef) tongue. It's a pretty common thing if you grow up Jewish (or actually if you grow up in an awful lot of cultures)) Traditionally, she cooks in a manner pretty similar to a corned beef, since it also is eaten as a cold cut (I actually usually ate mine heated , but that's just becuse I'm not crazy about the feel of cold fat on the roof of my mouth) and more to the point, spices it like one. It happens that the spices they dining hall used for the Irish Pot roast were the same as for a corned beef, and since pot roast is a softer, less stringy cut than brisket (i.e. what a corned beef is before you prepare it) to me it tasted very much like tongue, hence my comment.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Venus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:23 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWcPTwa692c

The one character I've seen today have sexual jokes like in the 90s in it, is Adventure Time. And other then that I don't see much of a of classic cartoons like Ed Edd and Eddy, or PowerPuffs.
Also not sure how to feel on Adventure Time, either.

Postby Dibullba » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:36 am

Venus wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWcPTwa692c

The one character I've seen today have sexual jokes like in the 90s in it, is Adventure Time. And other then that I don't see much of a of classic cartoons like Ed Edd and Eddy, or PowerPuffs.
Also not sure how to feel on Adventure Time, either.

Out of all the cartoons excluding those from the HUB currently, I would have to say that Adventure Time comes closest to at least being entertaining because of the characters and voice acting, but as said before it uses the Spongebob methodology that pure idiocy= entertainment.

As for the clip you showed for Ed Edd n' Eddy I have a better one

Postby Biostar » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:31 am

Venus wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWcPTwa692c

I knew things were more loose back then, but geez. I wonder how I reacted to that. Just probably shook my head and said "Oh Eddy," with no clue whatsoever.

Postby Kyan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:37 am

ah the sextant gag. I gotta admit, that caught by surprise. Too bad every show is too scared to do that now though.
yukkuri shiteite ne!

Postby dj1107 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:55 am

The episode "Shotgun Wedding" from PPG.....The Professor still has Nightmares about that incident

Postby Saint Soul » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Link it DJ.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby dj1107 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Postby iLuvWMGs » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:30 am

Oh god why
Some colors simply cannot be seen without seeing the color of pain first
dA username iLuvWMGs (kinda like my online handle now). Pretty dead but hey, I will get on it soon

Postby Banshee » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:07 am

Mon-Kitsune wrote:

As for how I came up with it it's pretty simple. One of the things my mother often cooked was (beef) tongue. It's a pretty common thing if you grow up Jewish (or actually if you grow up in an awful lot of cultures)) Traditionally, she cooks in a manner pretty similar to a corned beef, since it also is eaten as a cold cut (I actually usually ate mine heated , but that's just becuse I'm not crazy about the feel of cold fat on the roof of my mouth) and more to the point, spices it like one. It happens that the spices they dining hall used for the Irish Pot roast were the same as for a corned beef, and since pot roast is a softer, less stringy cut than brisket (i.e. what a corned beef is before you prepare it) to me it tasted very much like tongue, hence my comment.

Ah that explains it. Hmm Never tried cow tounge befor. That might be on the list of things I will one day try.

@ Dibullba: I beat you to that link, it was on the first page. lol

Postby Dibullba » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:59 am

Banshee wrote:Dibullba: I beat you to that link, it was on the first page.

So you have. I shall commit seppuku for dishonoring my family with failure!!!! *uses paper knife*

Postby shadownerd221 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:34 am

Such good childhood memories with classic shows. Ah the good old days of cartoons. Now todays shows are nothing but annoying or disturbing.

Postby Kyan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:04 pm

Well they rely more on slapstick humor I'd say. But it seems a bit more forced than usual.
yukkuri shiteite ne!

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Tonight they showed one of my FAVORITE child ruining adventure time episodes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amy0qGt3PnE
Finn's reaction at 8:46 is priceless.

I also recall another major one I noticed, though it was more implied. It was in an episode of Buzz Lightyear, the one with the mist that causes the Star Command people to turn into green blobs. At the end of the episode something occured to me 1. by the canon of the episode, when people were blobbed they left thier clothes behind and hence when they were turned back they were naked (they established this for one of the ommnipresent "Naked Booster" jokes. and 2. Buzz and Mira were attached so they would have had to be in eyeshot when they unblobbed. So..............
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Birdofterror » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:46 pm

Quick question... In order for your childhood to be ruined, you would have had to watch something DURING your childhood, right?

Adventure time is new, how can it ruin childhoods if you never watched it as a kid?
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)