ACTA- Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

ACTA- Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement

Postby Dibullba » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:36 am

This is very similar to SOPA, but is worse than it. Read up on it here. Worst part about this is I have no clue as to how effective this will end up being as it was created in Ireland and was meant to be kept secret from the world having been in development ever since 2006. So the challenge is getting the countries involved in these secret meetings involved in protesting the agreement.

Edit: Just want to make it clear that I in no way support piracy on the internet, but we have to keep an eye out for anything that will fight it without destroying the freedom within the internet.
Last edited by Dibullba on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: ACTA- Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement

Postby strider0075 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:33 am

I agree, they were pretty sneaky for waiting till the period of time when we were in the middle of battles going on with the SOPA/PIPA and the NDAA, that they were able to outflank us and slip that treaty in. But the good thing here is one keyword about this, TREATY. International treaties, by themselves, can not change the existing government frame work. You need to create laws in the participating countries themselves to meet the requirements of the treaty. So as long as we don't take our eyes off the frontlines at home and intercept any corrupt bills that are clear conflicts of interest we should be fine. Long short, this treaty is just an agreement to stop piracy, it has no effect on the country till WE pass our own law.

Postby Saint Soul » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:25 pm

Yes but do you support bleedmans defamation of characters that he does not legally own. But then again cartoon network is basically nowadays saying fuck you to all its fans by using their fanart without consent.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:05 pm

I think I remember doing a thread about this before. What I want to know right now is what's going on with this bill at the moment? I haven't heard much about it in the news, and I don't know If it's been passed or not. If it hasn't yet...well, I'm still worried.

Hope you guys can be up to date on this If you know anything else.
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby strider0075 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Rosso Rose wrote:I think I remember doing a thread about this before. What I want to know right now is what's going on with this bill at the moment? I haven't heard much about it in the news, and I don't know If it's been passed or not. If it hasn't yet...well, I'm still worried.

Hope you guys can be up to date on this If you know anything else.

The UN finalized it back in October and it was signed in Tokyo (go figure) by the United States, Australia, Canada, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, and South Korea, but like i said, it's just a treaty. Right now it's just an agreement to cooperate in the creation of anti-piracy and anti-counterfitting programs in the participating countries. So, it all depends on how the country (the US in this case) meets those requirements. In other words, SOPA/PIPA could have met those requirements, but wasn't the right way to do it, obviously. A law to a lesser extreme could meet the basic requirements of the treaty. The US could also just give the finger to the UN and back out of the treaty, but i doubt the politicians have the cojones for that.

~edit~
i forgot treaties are finalized and signed, like a contract, vs. passed and enacted, which is the case with a law/bill.
Last edited by strider0075 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Postby shadownerd221 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:17 pm

Nooooooooooo! This can't be! Damn secret meetings!

Postby Dibullba » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:56 pm

Well, this is gonna be trouble. They are signing the ACTA tommorow on 1/26/12. http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-and-eu-to-sign-controversial-acta-treaty-tomorrow-336764-Jan2012/

Postby Wulfespinndel » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:36 am

WELL CRAP. I wasn't believing what I was reading in Wikipedia. And that shouldn't be funny in this case, I really didn't want to believe what I was reading.

Wake me up when we're fucked.
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Innocence Abandoned » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:12 am

Rosso Rose wrote:Wake me up when we're fucked.

I'll have to set your alarm for this time last year.

Postby BlazingBarrager » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:09 am

Like Strider said, this is still only a treaty. Even if the US DOES sign it they still have to pass the laws to go along with it, and they know full well that they're going to have to deal with us, the people, first, and they'll have to make sure it appeals to us to work, or relive the protests that SOPA created.

Location: That little place in your head you don't know about.

Postby Dibullba » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:58 am

Very good point, however it is becoming abundantly obvious how much corporations are pushing with copyright claims. I can understand MegaUpload going down since it broke so many laws in the first place, but if you happen to watch a lot of videos on youtube a lot of changes are occurring. For example the professional pop dancer Nonstop uploaded his new video and within only 2 minutes of the upload WMG claimed copyright on it despite him referencing and having permission to use it from the artist whom has little to no association with WMG. Reasoning behind it is because the music has a sound sampling that is copyrighted by them.

Postby BlazingBarrager » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:39 pm

It was obvious they were truly behind SOPA/PIPA, but one thing they don't take seriously is the fact that the government HAS to listen to the people should they get angry enough.

Postby Duke of MaskS » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:41 am

BlazingBarrager wrote:It was obvious they were truly behind SOPA/PIPA, but one thing they don't take seriously is the fact that the government HAS to listen to the people should they get angry enough.

Like V said, "People should not be afraid of their government, the Government should be afraid of it's people...

Plus, I think if this is even passed, the people of the states will rise up against the current government. Thus affecting the world entirely...
MQuinny1234:You're prancing around with V's mask on, I thought you'd be happy with that.

Delia Surridge: You've come to kill me, haven't you?
V: Yes.
Delia Surridge: Thank God.

Oh and please read my first literature post. Feel free to bash me and whatnot...:D
http://www.snafu-comics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50149

Location: In a floating blue planet at space I'd like to call, "Bob"

Postby strider0075 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:17 pm

Duke of MaskS wrote:Like V said, "People should not be afraid of their government, the Government should be afraid of it's people...

Plus, I think if this is even passed, the people of the states will rise up against the current government. Thus affecting the world entirely...

Well said, in other countries this is an issue because their governments are controlled by the politicians and/or a monarchy. The beauty of the US Government is that it is still a country "by the people, for the people" meaning we still have a say in how our country is being run. Now while i'm not saying go vigilante and start fire bombing the cars/houses of politicians, i am saying don't be afraid to use your rights. As an american, you have the right to free speech, the right to peaceful protest, the right to vote (if you're old enough) and the right to call for impeachment if your politician has become corrupted. It's your right, no, your obligation to keep your government in line.

Postby Duke of MaskS » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:14 am

Just like here, the problem here though is that the Government listens to the people too much...

That's why we ended up being fucked up so bad, good thing we elected a good one this time. But the point is that, if the government limits its people's way of use of the internet, everything will go down with it. They should have thought about SOPA and the other one carefully before making it public.
MQuinny1234:You're prancing around with V's mask on, I thought you'd be happy with that.

Oh and please read my first literature post. Feel free to bash me and whatnot...:D

Postby Firehazard » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:28 am

They either listen to the people too much or think we're yell and cry about it for a while, then slowly accept it, especially if they suddenly have plenty of bribe money from corporations.

What I don't understand is where did they get the bright idea that SOPA/PIPA was the smart thing to do. . .
"It's nice, Kryts, really nice." "It's really great." "In fact, it's better than nice, it's fantastic." "Isn't it great?" "It's really great." "Really, really great."
". . . Are we eating the same stuff?"

Postby Duke of MaskS » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:11 am

That's the million dollar question that will be answered in the right time, in the right moment, and I'm afraid it will never come...

Postby BlazingBarrager » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:59 pm

Oh there's an answer: it's called big movie and music corporations wanting to make even more money.

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)