The Legend of Korra (Spoilers, nukka! Beware!)

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Legend of Korra (Spoilers, nukka! Beware!)

Postby Q.U. » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:58 am

I have a tingling feeling that    Toph might be dead, and that might be the reason why Lin is so upset with her family. Perhaps they don't know, after all they left for their own path. Maybe Lin blames her half-sister for not being there.   
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby athdlg » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:05 am

Q.U. wrote:I have a tingling feeling that    Toph might be dead, and that might be the reason why Lin is so upset with her family. Perhaps they don't know, after all they left for their own path. Maybe Lin blames her half-sister for not being there.   

I thought that it was already confirmed that    Toph is dead by now. Considering, to what I remember, Katara had stated something about the rest of the gang not being around and Zuko being ruler or something?    I could be wrong, but that's why I would like some clarification.

EDIT;; Sorry, I finally am seeing the English version of the next two episodes (since I don't know Spanish) and I saw the bit of information that shows    Toph might not be dead, but could be dead   . I have a sneaking suspicion that you're right. Would explain all the drama of the siblings.
Forever Noob

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:38 am

The one issue with that is that    it is the Truth Speaker guy who says Toph is alive (he says she is traveling the world not she was. And he sounded sincere about it. So there are only three ways Toph could be dead with that to happen I see

1. NO ONE in the city knows, which seems unlikely. As philosophy based as the city is, they are clearly not out of the news loop, and I imagine that the death of one of the major players in recent history would be news that would reach EVERYWHERE, unless she died in circumstances where no one recognized her, (which would be hard as I imagine the faces of the members of Team Avatar are well known throughout the nations.)

2. Lin's sister DOES know, but is so good at bodily self control she has been able to hide this fact from the Truth Sayer

3. The Truth Sayer knows, but for some reason lied to team avatar. This is the technically most likely (anyone who can read heart rates to determine if someone is telling the truth probably is good at controlling his (on the off chance that he isn't the ONLY truth sayer in the world) But again, why? if Toph was dead and people outside the city knew it the news would get among the people eventually anyway. It doesn't really GAIN him anything to lie to them.

But I suppose it is possible. Maybe if Toph is dead it's related to the story of how Lin got those scars on her face   
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Grieffon » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:31 pm

Too bad Zuko didn't put up much of a fight. Understandable, because of the cold temperature, but still a shame.   

A few things bug me about the episodes:

- For how much Zuko talks about Zaheer's dangerous gang, he seems to really underestimate them. "Individually, they can take down any bender." and yet, he only brought 4 benders and a dragon to fight against 3 of Zaheer's group, with Zuko (and probably the dragon) being handicapped by the weather. Shouldn't the White Lotus guards who failed to prevent the previous escape be assigned to guard the last prisoner? And shouldn't the 3 water tribe chiefs bring waterbenders from their tribes too?

- Prior to this week, Kai was built up to be an ungrateful bastard who has no concern for others and only cares about himself. And then the show threw in "oh, actually, he cares about others, like random prisoners. Just not his benefactors."

- Zaheer seems to be even more knowledgeable about airbending than Aang, and he is being built up to achieve an airbending mastery that is greater than the former Avatar. Considering that the air nomads lived in a place hardly accessible to others, and that they got wiped out, it's strange to have an outsider knows so much.   

- Also, with the spirits freely come and go between the worlds, can't Korra just go to the spirit world to talk to the previous avatars, and maybe have a few of them come with her to live in the human world for convenience? Aang surely would love to see new airbenders. Unless their spirits didn't just get disconnected from Raava, but destroyed altogether.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:06 pm

Grieffon wrote:    Zaheer seems to be even more knowledgeable about airbending than Aang, and he is being built up to achieve an airbending mastery that is greater than the former Avatar. Considering that the air nomads lived in a place hardly accessible to others, and that they got wiped out, it's strange to have an outsider knows so much.
  \
   The way I tend to explain this is that Zaheer is a decent of someone who had frequenet acess to the Air nomads (like say, an ambassador to them in the pre-Soizin days) or a Firenation soldier who was involved in the massacre and decided to bring back some Air Nomad literature as spoils of war souvenirs. Later, he could have spend some time visiting the temples and plundering thier archives (other non nomads managed to get up to them, so why not him. One the airships got known, their isolation methods basically became irrelvant. And of course Aangs air training was rushed with a direct bias towards getting him ready to defend against Soizin's agressions. Maybe some of the finer points were missing, or would have been in the training he would have gotten at the other temple   .

Grieffon wrote:   Also, with the spirits freely come and go between the worlds, can't Korra just go to the spirit world to talk to the previous avatars, and maybe have a few of them come with her to live in the human world for convenience? Aang surely would love to see new airbenders. Unless their spirits didn't just get disconnected from Raava, but destroyed altogether.   
   I don't think the avatar spirit world is the same place as the afterlife. If it was, it would presumably be TEEMING with human spirits. Human spirits can cross there, and in some cases stay there, but I'm not sure every human soul winds up there when they die. Human-wise, it seems pretty sparsely populated. I don'y know HOW Iroh I managed to cross over (I like to think it was a method similar to what some Buddhist monks do to become a "living Buddha") but it probably wasn't sometihng as simple as dying.

Though that itself brings up a question; now that inhabitans of the spirit world can cross back and forth at will, doesn't that mean that Iroh can too. I wonder if Zuko has recently been getting regular visits and advice from him.   
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby ULTRADJWEEN » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:05 pm

Meant to do this two days ago but time got to me.

Episode 3:
   Kai was a bit more tolerable in this episode, but I didn't like how he was a half decent Air Bender already with no training, since he was just a normal kid who ranaway from home. I mean, he might no a little, but eh, still don't like him. This episode was pretty good all in all I guess. I must say, I find interesting that the last women from the four dangerous benders in the world was a fire and mind bender, that's pretty cool. I hope we get to see more cool stuff, like more sub bending elements and all from these four. Even if they are strong, I don't see why Korra can't handle them. I mean, she porbably couldn't handle all four at one, she'll need help, but she defeated an all powerful dark spirit that was going to engulf the world into darkness for I think 10,000 years, I think she's ready to take them on, with help of course.   

Episode 4:
   This was interesting to see Be Fong's sister and her family. I kinda knew when I first saw her sister they were related because both look similar. Bolin getting a new girlfriend, now this I approve of, but I think I like it since I like Bolin, he's one of my favorites. But yeah, not much to say other than it's cool to see a city made out of metal, the sibling rivalry between Be Fong and her sister, and speculation that Toph may be still alive. It's funny that most of Aang's friends, Zuko, Toph, his wife Katara, I don't think Sokka's still alive, are alive but he's dead. Either he died at an early age (and by early, like maybe 60 or 70 years old as most of his friends are old too) or maybe he was murdered. They didn't say he wasn't killed, so it could be a possibility, but that's just me.   
Just Rockin

Postby Teran » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:35 am

BeeAre wrote:What is this, Toph, can't you let Aang's legacy be at all cool compared to yours? Jesus shit.

Tenzin > Anyone else in this show.

/thread
Disclaimer: If you don't agree with my opinion, I'm not a comic reviewer or a writer, I'm just an asshole. Also, I'm probably drunk right now.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:07 am

ULTRADJ wrote: It's funny that most of Aang's friends, Zuko, Toph, his wife Katara, I don't think Sokka's still alive, are alive but he's dead. Either he died at an early age (and by early, like maybe 60 or 70 years old as most of his friends are old too) or maybe he was murdered. They didn't say he wasn't killed, so it could be a possibility, but that's just me

It's actually not all that odd. It actually hasn't been all that long since the end of the last series. It is canon that Aang dies at and age that was quite young by this worlds standard ( think they said 58); as a byproduct of the damage his body took being frozen in the ice (by extension I imagine Appa probably did not live as long as is normal for sky bison either.) . Since the writers say this statement many times, I doesn't SOUND like Aang was murdered (unless they meant the ice trip weakened his body so much he wasn't able to fend off a murder attempt that those who knew him think he should have been able to at his age, or the ice thing is a cover story.) People in the avatar world seem to live a long time under natural circumstances. King Bumi would have had to be around 113 (Aang talked about him as if they were roughly the same age when he knew him before) and while that marks him as old, no one seemed to think it was freakishly old. I tend to think living into your 80-90s etc full fit and healthy is not all that unusual, and that would be roughly the age of most of the Avatar's friends now. And Toph is the YOUNGEST of the group so it is the MOST likely she would still be alive by sheer age standards.

Postby athdlg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:20 am

Aang died when he was 166 years old. Biologically his death was at 66 years old. Going to reiterate with Mon-Kitsune's words of Aang's friend, Bumi, being 112 years old when the Avatar Gang first met him in the series, no one seemed surprised. They were more or less simply put off by his strange personality and physically built body. It is known that Avatar Kyoshi, the Avatar before Roku, gained the title of being the oldest known human; she died at age 230 years old. So, I'd say Aang and Sokka died at a fairly young age compared to other avatars/humans in their era.
Forever Noob

Postby Mad-Mutt » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:02 am

athdlg wrote:Avatar Kyoshi, the Avatar before Roku, gained the title of being the oldest known human; she died at age 230 years old.

Crap, I don't know what kind of vitamins they're taking in this universe, but damn would I like some.
Bark

Postby Q.U. » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:16 am

Okay, so now all that frustration turns out to have been bad blood unrelated with Toph. That's kind of a letdown. And Lin suddenly works it out after acupuncture.I hoped there would have been more to it.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby ULTRADJWEEN » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:50 am

The whole bad blood between Lin and her sister was resolved kinda quickly. I guess with 13 episodes you have little room for some development. (wish there was more though) And the return of Kai, meh, he just doesn't interest me at all.
Just Rockin

Postby Spoopy Princess » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:44 am

Q.U. wrote: And Lin suddenly works it out after acupuncture.I hoped there would have been more to it.

It kinda reminded me of Zuko's change in Ba Sing Se.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Whatbutt: She's got enough tea to throw into a harbor and start another revolution.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Q.U. » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Zuko was getting worked on by Iroh for like two whole season at least, so his eventual change in behaviour was at least somewhat justified. And he had a long time to develop as a character. I don't really feel Zuko's change was as irrational as this one.

Postby Spoopy Princess » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:50 pm

Keep in mind the old ATLA writing team is trying to fix the poor writing of the first two seasons.
Whatbutt: She's got enough tea to throw into a harbor and start another revolution.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:45 pm

Okay now we know where Lin got her scars. Actually it sort of underlies either how stubborn she is or how deeply Toph was willing to go to keep it covered up. Toph knows Katara, and I have no doubt she would have been only too glad to heal Lin's cheek (and if it was done while it was fairly fresh, I have no doubt it would have been well within her powers, even without the special water.)
We also got an answer to a question I asked earlier as to why one of the temple air acolytes in an earlier episode did not have a shaved head. Evidently he must have decided being partially bald naturally was sufficeint. Though if Tenzin's reason for why Air Nomads shave thier heads is actually true (and the end of that episode makes it sound like it might) then it's a little odd that early female air nomads only shave their foreheads (and the moden female air acolytes don't seem to remove ANY of thier hair) You'd think they would want/need to feel the wind as much as males.
Also I wonder if the sky bison herd was actually wild or just feral. The momma bison's broken horn seemed to be rather smooth as if it had been sawn, rather than broken, which seems to indicate human care (though given how intimate the relationship between Air Nomads and sky bison is, it would not be impossible that Air acolytes might actually perform prophylatic surgery on even wild ones.)
And finally I have been thinking about what someone said earlier about the possiblity that Aang was assasinated. While this seems unlikely, it occurs to me, what if Sokka was assasinated/murdered. That would explain why he died so young (by Avatar world standards) and why Katara seems to have had an especial vehemence towards Zahir (though how she reacted would still fit well within her responses if she was just familar with who Zahir was, so that would not be particularly strong evidence.)

Postby Q.U. » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:26 pm

Though if Tenzin's reason for why Air Nomads shave thier heads is actually true (and the end of that episode makes it sound like it might) then it's a little odd that early female air nomads only shave their foreheads (and the moden female air acolytes don't seem to remove ANY of thier hair) You'd think they would want/need to feel the wind as much as males.

Perhaps they shave other places to feel the air there?

Postby Grieffon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:05 pm

It's not just the problem getting resolved too quickly, Lin became an almost completely different person. Really good earth/metal bending battle though. Not Toph good, but still good. Hopefully Bolin can learn to be more awesome.

Also, I don't like the fact that Tenzin always gets the short end of the stick. Whatever he wants to achieve, he will just fail and watch someone else does it better.

Now that I think about it, Aang might have doomed the Avatar State to be just a mediocre power boost. By the time Aang fought Ozai, he was far from being a master of any form of bending, yet all four of his bending abilities in the Avatar State could outclass the firebending of a Sozin-enhanced Ozai, the strongest firebender of the time (maybe excluding Iroh). That Avatar State was achieved through unlocking the 7 chakras, and is apparently far more powerful than Korra's given version. Now that the past avatars are gone, the knowledge about the 7 chakras may be lost forever, and the later Avatars will never be as powerful as the ones in the past.

Of course, the reason is more likely bad writing. They, for some reason, gave Korra the Avatar State too early, and now have to retcon to avoid Korra being too overpowered. The Avatar State is now more of a "special technique mode" for stuff like energy bending or spirit purification (both of which didn't require the Avatar State, shown by Aang in ATLA and Unalaq).

Postby Teran » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:37 pm

My problem with Lin and her sister's background story is that it's too "black and white" for my taste. Instead of something actually interesting and perhaps morally ambiguous, the main problem is that Suyin has criminal friends (wut?), and (in an unoriginal and desperate attempt to create a conflict) she's helping them for no reason at all. I mean, that's all they could think about?

However, I loved when Suyin mentioned Tenzin, and Lin's reaction. That was actually pretty well written and my favorite moment in this disappointing episode. The fight was alright.
Disclaimer: If you don't agree with my opinion, I'm not a comic reviewer or a writer, I'm just an asshole. Also, I'm probably drunk right now.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:33 pm

I know this has probably been said before, but what the fuck is wrong with the Earth Kingdom?
(Mostly its Queen right now)
But in the original series all I could think of when they got to the Earth Kingdom was, "Damn, maybe they should go to the Fire Nation where its safe."
And then next season they went to the fire nation...
So... yeah...

Anyways it was nice to see Toph again. Even if she was a stressed out. Still looked cool and good for her age what must've been like around forty or fifty. I'd imagine she stays in great shape though.
Still sometimes wonder who the dad(s) of her kids are. I'm just waiting for someone to come along whose reviled as the dad. As soon as I saw Lin in the first season I was like, "Daww, Toph had a kid... Whose the dad?" Part of me hope whoever it is, at least one of them is someone who just makes the whole fan base blow up. Like Soka drops out of the sky one episode and Lin is all like, "High dad." then chat rooms and forums all over the internet explode for like a week. Or anyone else who could inspire that kind of reaction... I can't really think of another guy outside of Soka, Aang or Suko that Toph spent any real time with. Meh, I just want that moment where you can here the explosion go off in the fan base. Then again, if that happens with Soka, I'd just be wondering what happened to Suki so that would raise another question.

Also, I said this before, but I like Korra's character this season. Like I said, I never had any big issues with her before, but I could see why some people did, but this time around she a lot more likable. She's still a hot head, but a likable hot head. And I think they may have given her some of Aang's character traits. Like when she was talking to Tenzin over the radio, that whole scene with her seemed like something Aang would do. Even the expression they drew on her face before the cut away reminded me of Aang. She's still a tough chick, but she's developed a more mellowed out personality.
This is what she should have been like in season two, I dare say.

Mon-Kitsune wrote:While this seems unlikely, it occurs to me, what if Sokka was assasinated/murdered.

Near the end of this season, Soka will descend from the sky by parachute half his face covered in soot from some kind of explosion, but he'll be more or less unharmed. Toph, Smeller Bee and Longshot (no idea why they'll be there too) will be hanging from his ankles as they descend and Soka will demand that Korra and everyone else refer to him as the "Melon Lord" and he'll request more melons.
Soka will then meet up with Varrick and the two will hit it off so well that they'll form a partnership and go off to create rockets... or something like that.

One more thing I want to mention about the new episodes:
Baby Bison.
Bark

Postby Spoopy Princess » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:40 pm

I highly doubt Sokka is the father to either of them.

"We've never met our Father."

You wanna tell me he was never around them????
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:56 pm

I don't mind who the dad turns out to be, I just want the explosion.
Probably never get cause they might stay as enigmas.

Or maybe she made them out of the earth itself like how Wonder Woman was made.

What? Lin already kind of reminds me of Spiderman.
But that's just because of this:

Toph would have to be insanely good at Earth Bending to do that though.
Well, she is already insanely good, but probably not that good.
Unless she is!
But she's probably not though.
Bark

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:29 am

That Sokka is dead is canon, Katara confirmed it (unless it's one of those I though you were dead where have you been the last forty years?" things)

You could say the same thing for the possibility of Sokka being Lin's father, it still works if Toph never MENTIONED that Sokka was Lin's father to Lin. The big problem I still have with this is it would probably mean, time wise, that Sokka cheated on Suki. That is 1. not nice and 2. dangerous (do you REALLY want the head of the Kyoshi warriors to find out you've been diddling a mutual friend on the side?) Maybe THAT's how Sokka died.

Postby Teran » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:09 pm

Can't say I'm too surprised.

If someone goes to Comic-Con this year, don't forget to tell Bryan that I have a lot of free time if he needs a hand writing the series.

Postby Spoopy Princess » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:11 am

The series is already completed.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)