The Hub: In Trouble?

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

The Hub: In Trouble?

Postby Nox » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:34 pm

Now I've only been in the loop for only a short time, but I have heard nothing but good things about this network. Equines aside..
And any of you lot who actually subscribes to it, may speak openly..
However, this I find interesting.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/is-the- ... ssibility/

In a $500 million debt filing at the SEC this morning, Discovery says that last month the companies amended their partnership agreement to create an undescribed "trigger event" that could lead to a writedown indicating the property is worth less than they had thought.

I feel a chill in the air. And as much as I would like to help the channel, I live in an area that barely even knows the powerpuff girls.
Last edited by Nox on Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The Hub

Postby Rival » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:40 pm

What country would that be? I'm asking cause the PPG(with a different name) are quite well known even here, and Eastern Europe is pretty provincial when it comes to cartoon pop-colture.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Nox » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:47 pm

The sad sad corner of the rural Philippines. (I'm sorry, AREA not COUNTRY. Poor choice of words there)
Folks know them collectively as "The Powerpuff Girls" but most do not know their individual names.

Postby Rival » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:55 pm

I see, that's too bad.

To repay for my off-topic post, I'll try to get this back on track. I haven't been watching a lot of cartoons lately, due to real life being busy, but opinion on the Hub seems rather good, so it'd make a ton of people sad if it went under, that much I can see.

But from reading the article, discovery seems quite hopeful about the channel's potential, so I think it's likely they'll rebound. They at least seem determined to do everything they can to keep it up.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Re: The Hub: In Trouble?

Postby Nox » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:59 pm

Here's hoping. The trend I see regarding channels with a niche audience is that they too are struggling. The series of unfortunate events surrounding CN was understandable. It is potently difficulty to survive in today's market with simply an idea, without the means to push it forward.

Avarice, wherefore now?

Postby Dibullba » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:00 pm

HUB is a generally new network starting only in 2009. So Hasbro having put up for 50% in Discovery Kids acquired the channel. So for them to go into a debt was bound to happen, but they really have made an impact which luckily gained Discovery's support. The debt occured for the apparant reasons that Discovery Kids was overly educational and not entertaining for kids so they would not have a returning audience of young people as of yet. This fact will change quickly once more new generation kids start to grow into the age of 5 and have access to the channel. Second issue is by putting up for 50% which would be a hefty price even for Hasbro and to pay for necessary things along the way, it would end up limiting the amount of outside advertising they could do long term and having minimal amount of sponsors.

TL;DR: Expect good changes in its future now that Discovery themselves are acting as a second party funder which will allow for more capabilities of funding for advertising and will attract more sponsors as its viewer count rises.

Postby nikiudel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Nox wrote:The sad sad corner of the rural Philippines. (I'm sorry, AREA not COUNTRY. Poor choice of words there)
Folks know them collectively as "The Powerpuff Girls" but most do not know their individual names.

Philippines? Dang, my whole school, neighborhood knows them. And I'm in the Philippines.

But, all things aside, regarding the article...tl;dr.
Is Hub getting taken down?

Postby shadowforce41 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:39 pm

My main concern is whats going to happen to my little pony. I don't want it to dissapear or end, so hopefully another network like 4kids(If their even alive) will pick it up.
Dude, just stop. You're not even good.

Postby Dibullba » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:24 pm

shadowforce41 wrote:My main concern is whats going to happen to my little pony. I don't want it to dissapear or end, so hopefully another network like 4kids(If their even alive) will pick it up.

Firstly, 4kids is bankrupt and fighting the fact that they are in this position despite being a non respectable company to even fight their way out. Secondly, they only DUB anime aimed towards kids even though some of those animes were meant for later teens and adults which is one of the many reasons they were a disrespected company.
If any company should pick up My Little Pony in a situation where HUB should fail even though it will not, I would have to say that Cartoon Network would be their only real hope unless for some reason Nickelodeon's Nicktoons channel sees reason to allow it where it usually aims for action and unusual.

Postby Nox » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:30 pm

I cringe to imagine a good show like MLP fall in the hands Mr. Snyder. I doubt the Hub will fall any time soon, but their debt makes many if not more anxious. Which is why I think a lot of people (myself included) are getting very antsy about the DVD releases of MLP. Surely, they must understand that such merchandise would sell like hotcakes and yet I've heard no interest from their end on such a thing in the near future.

Dibullba wrote:HUB is a generally new network starting only in 2009. So Hasbro having put up for 50% in Discovery Kids acquired the channel. So for them to go into a debt was bound to happen, but they really have made an impact which luckily gained Discovery's support. The debt occured for the apparant reasons that Discovery Kids was overly educational and not entertaining for kids so they would not have a returning audience of young people as of yet. This fact will change quickly once more new generation kids start to grow into the age of 5 and have access to the channel. Second issue is by putting up for 50% which would be a hefty price even for Hasbro and to pay for necessary things along the way, it would end up limiting the amount of outside advertising they could do long term and having minimal amount of sponsors.

TL;DR: Expect good changes in its future now that Discovery themselves are acting as a second party funder which will allow for more capabilities of funding for advertising and will attract more sponsors as its viewer count rises.

Granted. But I am still concerned about the availability of the channel itself. Think about it, I've heard that subscribing to the Hub would reach up to $100. Now I couldn't be any more unsure about that, but logic demands one to ask "Why would I throw my money to watch ONE show (and you know which one) if I could simply watch it on the internet for bupkis?". As a budding brony, I find it bitter-sweet to be able to watch the show for free, knowing that doing so might result in the possibly inevitable end of a good channel. And I know it's an old issue for me, but I really hate that much good things I would like to see but can't are only available in a country that I can never reach. And it's not just about the ponies.. Doogie Howser in particular piques my nostalgia.

Here's hoping the channel gets more fanfare for it's shows to be available to the "foreigners"

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:00 am

Would it really help to spread their resource to other countries? Why can't they just do pay-per-view?
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby shadowforce41 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Kusang_Manalo wrote:Would it really help to spread their resource to other countries? Why can't they just do pay-per-view?

That depends if other countries A: Have satellite cable and a tv. B: I don't think many people would pay to see ponies, unless they have little kids.
Dude, just stop. You're not even good.

Postby Dibullba » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:33 pm

Well I am unsure about the $100 thing since I have the channel free from my provider. In any case I still prefer Satellite DVR simply because it makes it simple to handle shows at the rate you desire and opens many others that would otherwise make for bland television on regular cable.

Postby Dibullba » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:44 am

Posting one year into the future. This thread is just funny to read because of how successful the HUB became in such a short period of time XD. Feel free to lock if nothing else to add, I just had to say it.

Postby Mir@k » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:10 am

Do not bump old threads. That goes against the rules. Go to the rules thread, tattoo them on your chest, and read them every day. Bumping an old thread is only valid if you have some insightful input to add on the subject that sparks a conversation on the topic at hand, not just for the lulz, and you'll just get suspended or banned at the long run because no, bumping and saying "lock it if you want" does not make it fine for you to do it.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:02 am

For the sake of what is left of the thread, I will also post my regards.

The HUB did indeed make an unexpected recovery, (Not that it recovered, but the AMOUNT it recovered.) and It is likely to be around for many years. My own personal gripes with Ponies aside, it is a vital network to get good shows out to places not Limited to the States, therefor is everything I stand for.

It would of been a shame if it fell.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)