My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby J-Dude » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:04 pm

Apologies, I thought the forum switched to an auto-merge system like the others I visit.
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Biostar » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:29 pm

I don't know where people are getting the religion similarity from. If this episode was suppose to symbolize anything it would be pseudoscience more than religion.   

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:46 pm

@Biostar:

Some people just really like to reach till their arms are straining.
Also, I just kind of assumed J-Dude was just kidding around.
But yeah, people like to read really hard into things to find something they want to see. Like that one guy who thought Taxi Driver told him that if he shot a certain person then a certain girl would fall in love with him.
Although that certain guy wasn't very stable to begin with.
It happens all the time where people want to see something that probably wasn't even there to begin with because it makes us happy and its nothing new its just another little funny thing about the horrid but interesting thing that is human nature.

Its kind of like the argument as to why no one can actually tell that Clark Kent is Superman with just glasses is because people see want they want to believe and not what is actually there.
Of course you could turn that argument on its head, but then again you can turn anything around because another funny little thing about human nature is that we love to one up each other because it makes us feel good so we've come up with all kinds of ways to do it and are still trying to figure out new ways of doing it to this day.
When you get right down to it, humanity is fucked.

Now look who is stretching until their arms strain. Haha, self bashing humor.
(Insert Phil Ken Sebben picture here: http://trolledbot.net/pix/4593.jpg )

Anyways I was taking the title "Leap of Faith" as in having faith in one's self. Granny had the ability to do this all on her own and didn't need any miracle cure to help her do it.

Or the writers thought it was a funny pun for high diving which is probably the more likely one.
Seriously I would not be surprised if that was the only amount of thought put into the title.

Also considering this show actually has deities in this as characters I find the idea of bashing religion unlikely. And I doubt anyone on the team has the guts to actually do that. They can't even state out loud that AJ's parents are dead so they have to do the whole comet thing and we might not ever get any sure answer if Scootaloo had crippled wings or not and can't fly right.

Who knows maybe G5 will have more balls to it.
What, it could happen. No matter how unlikely.
Bark

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:53 pm

Actually Mad, you being up and interesting point. Religion is a little foggy in the show. In a certain sense, Celstia and Luna are gods (in the sense that thier names are invoked in those place that we would invoke God). But are they really considered so? Yes, Celestia has the ability to raise the sun and Luna can dream walk, and both are tremendously old. But in a world where magic is accepted and common, is that really enough to define one as being a god? No one seems to claim either CREATED the sun or the moon. And neither is anything like Omniscient or Invincible. And for gods, they get a suprisingly low level of what could be called worship (so far we have not seen anything like a temple to them. There is also the fact that, if they are gods, that means so are Cadence and Twilight Though given the Greco-Roman base, that just might be possible, as Greco-Roman mythology allows for mortals to be raised to the level of god for exemplary acts (think of Heracles) or any of the minor gods who are half mortal by birth. Celestia and Luna are clearly the most powerful ponies around (or among them) but they seem to be treated as just that, powerful PONIES. Rulers defintiely,Pontiffs probably,Pharoahs maybe, dieties, I'm not sure.
Having said all that, there does seem to be SOMETHING along the lines of relgion in Equestria. We have seen a pony in what amounts to clerical garb in the show (Mr. Waddle in Hearts and Hooves day, leading the funeral.) Presumably that means there is something like a Church in Equestria, though maybe not a church the building, if they conduct funerals outdoors. The one wedding we have seen was conducted in the palace, with Celestia herself officiating. Most likey, it's a Chuch of England like thing, as head of the country, Celestia is also head of the Church (I'm now hearing Celestia's voice saying "What I have joined, let no pony tear asunder") .
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:21 am

You bring up a lot of good and interesting points, some which have crossed my mind before.
You talked a lot about Tia and Luna, but what's your opinion on Discord whose powers seem very godlike? Even being able to pop life forms and matter into existence and just as easily make them vanish as well as alter just about everything around him at will and seems to be virtually indestructible to the point where he can remove his own head or gouge out his own eyes and play with them like they're a pair of dice.

We also got the Wendigos which are a lot different than the ones we have which are people turned into cannibalistic monsters (although that would make for an interesting Halloween episode). They seem to have total control over the wind and ice.

They could probably just be explained away with them just being magic, but Discord is really OP it seems, the more you try to think of him in a way that makes sense the more your head starts to hurt, but that may be the point since he's the embodiment of chaos itself.
Also, God doesn't always need to mean "all powerful" being. Nordish Gods can all die and according to lore, a lot of them have. In fact out of all deities, the Nordish ones seem surprisingly human to me. Then we have Japanese Gods in which there is a god for everything single thing on earth and what's around it, from the grass to the sun and the moon.

You could even wonder about the Tree of Harmony, which was able to produce super weapons at one point for the ponies that could even stop Discord in his tracks. Who put it there, or was it always just there, how did it get there, what is it and is it even conscious? All we have go on is just that it isn't a normal tree and it may not even be a tree in the traditional sense of the word.

You do however bring up a good point about one thing. Can a deity really be a deity without worship? I doubt anyone worships Discord in that universe. Hell, only 2/6 of the mane six can stand to be around him for more than a minute at a time unless they're forced or guilt tripped into doing it. But they say as long as any deity has at least one worshiper then its still a deity.

Thinking of that, I would like to see an episode where a there's a cult that worships Discord as their lord and master. Disney did a cult episode in Rescue Rangers, so Hasbro could probably pull it off.
Just preach about the dangers of joining a cult with out being too on the nose and kids would be able to fill in the blanks as they get older about the really real dangers of this kind of thing.

The fandom likes to toss around the idea that these multiple characters are at a deity level, but with even Discord, whose powers can only be described as such, is he really a deity of chaos or just some fucked up looking dragon who can twist with the things around him.

If the MLP team really wanted to tackle something like that and make a point of religion without being too obvious we would probably see a whole episode the explains that Tia, Luna, Discord, Wendigos (I kind of hate calling them that, but what can you do) and anything we might be missing aren't really as powerful as they seem.

They could even bring up the theory that Tia and Luna aren't immortal, they just use an aging spell over and over again to appear to be so. Taking something that you hold up as the most powerful above all else and anyone else and bringing it closer to your level. They already did that in the royal wedding and arguably when Twi herself got wings.

Even then, the episode would be more about humanizing Tia, Luna and Discord and not have any real religious points except for the ones you put there yourself. Because they just wouldn't do an episode like that intentionally, I just don't think they have it in them.
Even what religious stuff we have seen in this world is very much in the background and we'll probably never get to hear much about what ponies believe, but judging by the priest pony's attire, we could probably guess its very similar to one of ours.

I think unless anyone has anything else to say on the matter that they can add, I think we should stop it hear or with one more post because there's a time and place for anything and an MLP thread may not be the best place to discuss these sort of things and fights can easily break out when stuff like this is discussed. My mind was just wondering again and I went on another weird tangent of mine, sorry about that guys.
I think there's a philosophy thread for conversations like these anyways, but I haven't been to it in awhile, I don't even know if its still going.
Bark

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:53 am

I'm playing this EquestriaBound "Mother 2 mod" and I can't get enough of it. They did a pretty awesome job (in my opinion) of converting it into a pony game, tossing in references, locations and characters. Not perfectly mind you, but the writing of the game still feels strong 90% of the time. But then... I never actually played the original Earthbound, so I don't know what they did super badly. There's most likely some stuff I wouldn't have appreciated if I'd played Earthbound years ago and came back to this, but the feel to what I've always expected Earthbound to have shines through well.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:30 am

In honor of April 1st last year, I posted some art work of the strangest ship I could find (Dan x Pinkie Pie) so this year for the day of fool I'm going to do that once again along with some pictures that made me laugh:

First off some Twilight x Discord shipping.
The only reason I like this ship is because in most of the ones I've seen, its obvious that Twilight can't stand him and it makes me laugh for some reason.

Actual description for this picture:

Discord: Twilight! Twilight! I have wonderful news, my dear. We're going to have a baby!

Twilight: Wha-Discord, what are you talking about? I'm not pregnant.

Discord: Well, of course you're not, silly mare. I am! I'm going to have a baby....right now.

Now I know some of you might be thinking bad OC, but I kind of like the design of this one even if it is just a mash up of Discord and Twi, but I still think she's cute and Pandora is a decent enough name for it.

Discord and Celestia.
I'm actually ok with this ship and even made a little joke about it in one of my "Pony Rants" comics:
Also, screw gravity, Discord can dance at any angle he wants and Tia looks great in that dress.

Discord hanging with the ladies time:

Now for some funny pictures to round it all off:

This is the best thing ever:

I have no idea what Twilight is doing here and I don't even want to know for fear this image will become less funnier:

One more from Discord:

Bark

Postby ari-6 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:39 am

Well if that Twi Discord child isn't just the cutest little hell spawn you ever did see.
I am the MISSINGNO
Current world record holder for the longest case of the sniffles.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Hallow Nova » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:51 am

These are all so adorable. :3
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:41 am

I find it particularly notable that, due to thier combined gentics, Pandora's mane colors sort of resemble Twilight Velvet's, at least as it is now (Twi's mother is oldish, so I don't know if her mane had the white streaks when she was a filly or not)
And I keep thinking I have seen that postion Twi is in in the mystery picture before, even somewhere in the series. The obvios answer is that she is trying some sort of spell with recoil and has braced herself, but I keep thinking that wasn't it.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Grieffon » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:07 pm

The Hub announced MLP spin-off series:

Postby ari-6 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:14 pm

This can't be real..... Right? Please someone tell me this isn't real
I am the MISSINGNO

Postby Rukair » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:26 pm

That spinoff is not bad but I like their 2nd spinoff better and I cant wait for it

Postby ari-6 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:41 pm

OH GOD! I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S REAL ANYMORE!!!!
I am the MISSINGNO

Postby Hiroko » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:56 pm

April Fool's Day, remember that it is April Fool's Day. =u=;
The Sentimental One

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:06 pm

That second one had me reeling.

I love how companies just have the biggest fun on April Fools... Sometimes the best parts about it aren't even the jokes, but how people react to them. And an MLP x Star Trek mesh thingamajiger does make sense... mainly because Q/Discord, but...
An Optimist

Postby Grivous » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:59 pm

*Super-duper-blaster-spoiler ahead*

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

I can't believe M.A. Larson did this! Best April Fools evar! XD   

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:52 pm

^BEST!

Oh my god I hope people didn't take it seriously, but I know people did. I got a good chuckle from thinking of how many people probably raged...
An Optimist

Postby Rukair » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:48 am

The Hub teases Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3, Image.
I'll just leave a link to the article http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/04/the-hub-teases-testing-testing-1-2-3.html#more for those who want to see the Image.

I can't believe that Pinkie is going to rap. That is just crazy   

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:12 pm

Oh man, this has the potential to be the most awkward awesomely bad thing to happen in the show ever. Most of the time when cartoon characters rap its so laughably bad that it becomes either one of the most remembered things in the series. Even if in some cases people would rather forget about it.

Calling it now.

People are gonna scream racism over Pinkie Pie rapping and the ones doing it will all be white people.

I'm being silly, but its happened before.
Bark

Postby Grivous » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Click Here for a Luna's Comic

*Everyone in this topic is now dead*

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby ari-6 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:50 pm

Attempting to kill everyone withe cuteness, so evil!

Has anyone considered before the possibility that Hasbro could make something so bad it kills the franchise? I mean in the TF franchise we have a thing called "ruined forever". The TF offices even have this mock fire alarm the says "pull in case of fandom ruined forever". And everyone knows that the franchise gets ruined at least once a reboot. I never actually worry about TF though. But with MLP I feel like I am expecting something to ruin it forever.
I am the MISSINGNO

Postby tonightscake » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:40 pm

What does TF stand for?
Why not?
Lovely Antics

Postby Grieffon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:58 pm

TF also stands for Transformers, which I assume was what ari referred to.

I like how ridiculous this is getting.

Postby ari-6 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:02 pm

Did that guitar RD bought cost like, two dollars? Or does RD just carry large bills?
I am the MISSINGNO

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)