My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:44 am

I... didn't really like what Sweetie almost did with her sister. What she did is something similar to what Merida did to her mother in "Brave". I despise that. I'm pretty grateful that a certain mare guided her to a better path. Else, I'd put her to the most hated characters in FiM, topping over Diamond.

Ari-6 wrote:Knowing what everyone makes of the whole CaD thing

I'll say this now: I find Hasbro to be a total hypocrite.

Think about: They put a lot of pop culture references in the series some of them are more blatant than others (i.e. Big Lebowski, the "A New Hope" ending scene, the star trek visor, the silhouette poster of Batman: The animated series, to name a few).

Did they get any flack from the creators? FUCK, NO!

And when a fan, that genuinely loves the show enough to make an ANIMATION parody, they go batshit and CnD them. You know how difficult it is to make those animations? It's PMV videos times a thousand. You don't just rip out cutscenes, you fucking make them.

This is driving me nuts. I do hope that Mike Vogel set things straight or at least gives us a clear reason why the Hasbro is acting this way.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:50 am

Knowing someone is actually working towards finding a solution, or at least a reason to this makes me feel at ease. But I'm still fuming at the damage they've done so far.

So then with this, if it comes out that they stop going batshit about this sort of stuff, do you think they'll take back the CnD's they made towards Fighting is Magic or Jan in the future?
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Grieffon » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:23 am

From some EqD comments:

As a pony fan and a Hasbro stock holder I feel like I can speak to both sides of this. Yes, it sucks that Jan got hit with a C&D, he is one of my favorites. However, he was beyond any doubt using characters under copyright of Hasbro. As the current copyright laws stand, you are not allowed to pick and choose who gets to use your intellectual property, it’s either yours or it is everyone’s. So in effect if Hasbro didn’t respond to this a competing network could create a pony show almost identical to MLP and fight off any lawsuits by saying that MLP wasn’t protecting their copyright anyways. Basically you don’t get to choose who is allowed to use your intellectual property, if one person can then everyone can.

Yes, it sucks, but Hasbro is not trying to screw us. They are just doing what they have to do.

However as long as it doesn’t get too popular they can make a valid argument that they did not know it existed. So the bitter irony is that if you become too well known they have to shut you down.

Fighting is Magic is a pretty solid example of this, it started small, but became pretty well known, so Hasbro couldn’t ignore it.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:39 am

That still doesn't feel right to me... I don't know if there's any real legality to hold up these feelings though.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:13 am

The second I saw the word "stockholder", I got very suspicious. So then why Paramount lets Star Trek fans make their own sagas? Why Ubisoft let fans of Assassin's Creed make videos of the franchise? Why is there a broadway of Harry Potter? Does trademark ownership gets rebuked just because someone used their property for fun? Is the system that broken? We all know owns MLP.

Here's the thing: I think what's happening with FiM is similar to what had happened to Gaming in the late 90s.

MODS.

What's occurring now, I think, are fans innovating just like how gamers innovate into making mods for Half-Life (Counter - Strike) The Elder Scrolls, Team Fortess-- or even SIMS. And look how far that innovation did for those games. We're seeing the same thing in animation through these parody works. The fans themselves are keeping the franchise moving. FOR THEM. And, arguably, doing it better than their marketing department. Hasbro is too old-school of a company to see this. That or they're too possessive of their product.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Dibullba » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:50 am

New upload for the ApplePie Cartoons. In case you are not familiar with it or forgotten them cause of months apart, will upload the first 3 first.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:07 pm

AJ is just adorable in these.
Bark

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:21 pm

That's amusing! I think this series will be funnier than that new upcoming Tom and Jerry cartoons.

Speaking of Pies, I made this one.

Not-an-animator

Postby Lady Haru » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:39 pm

kusang, i really adore your style!
everypony just looks perfectly adorable in it
silly pinkie~
although, i feel like i'm missing the reference here....
ImageImage
Tumblr 1 // Tumblr 2 // Facebook // Dreadful Comics
Alopunk - Haru, you are 200% a cutie patootie
Your Queen Your God

Postby Hiroko » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:17 pm

It's a reference to Steven Universe, I believe.
The Sentimental One

Postby ULTRADJ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:21 pm

I have a random question, there was an MLP game called Fiends of Dream Valley, and it was big at one point, but now you don't hear from it anymore? What happened? Did it die out? Or did Hasbro C&D the project like others?
When I have something clever I'll put it here. XP
Just Rockin

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:59 pm

A demo has been released of it, but the game was cancelled. http://elosande.deviantart.com/journal/ ... -307448802

I don't think it was a C&D, can't find anything that said so.

Postby ULTRADJ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:04 pm

Thanks Blood. I've forgotten about it and I at least know what happened to it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to squeeze at much money as I can for the MLP comics.
When I have something clever I'll put it here. XP
Just Rockin

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:27 am

Miss Haru wrote:kusang, i really adore your style!
everypony just looks perfectly adorable in it
silly pinkie~
although, i feel like i'm missing the reference here....

Yeah, it's Steven Universe. I enjoyed the show a lot. If you like watching girls kicking ass, you might want to check it out.

I love this gif.

Not-an-animator

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:33 am

Drew up some new pony related fanart.

Equestria: Paradise is Nowhere
--
--
Decided to do some more pony related art again. And once again my head went to strange places while doing it.

We got Sunny in her demon form up their in the top let going all, "Yo bitch I burned up the city, check it."
I tried to make her look as sinister as I could. Her face came out looking a little snakeish so I added in the forked tongue for something a little extra.

We got Spike giving Scootaloo a ride because he's a gentleman... Dragon. He's a gentledragon.
Spike is also turning into a bigger dragon now and Scootaloo is slightly older here too.

We got Twi and Queenie all like fighting it out and stuff in the center.
I messed around with Queenie's design (like the mouth and the jaw line) to make her look more to see if she would look more like a monster.

And we got Fluttershy at the bottom, she's okay, I know her eyes may not look too good there, but healing magic is the bomb in Equestria. The little alicorn figures at the side were drawn using a line tool so they'd look more like they do here.
Bark

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:49 am

Question of day:

If a crafty guy wants to put easter eggs in a music room, what would those be?
Not-an-animator

Postby BeeAre » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:51 am

kusang that question is very vague.

what are the eggs? they are eggs.

do you mean WHERE would he put the eggs? inside various horns, perhaps. instrument cases. skewered upon batons and metronomes. replacing xylophone bars. inside drums.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:06 pm

Ha ha, oh yeah, easter's coming in a few days.

No, no, by easter egg, I mean, references you can slip in a music room scene. I need suggestions. :]
Not-an-animator

Postby Grivous » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:47 pm

BeeAre wrote:what are the eggs? they are eggs.

do you mean WHERE would he put the eggs? inside various horns, perhaps. instrument cases. skewered upon batons and metronomes. replacing xylophone bars. inside drums.

Kusang_Manalo wrote:No, no, by easter egg, I mean, references you can slip in a music room scene. I need suggestions. :]

An "Easter Egg"(besides the chocolate one) is a hidden item placed in a movie, television show, or otherwise visual media for close watchers.
This is an example:

Too much references.
Now, about references in music, I really don't know how to work with that.

EDIT: HEART ATTACK! HNNNGG!

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:15 am

"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Grivous » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:29 am

Sad but true.

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby ari-6 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:11 pm

Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby TheLivingCouch » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:30 pm

You know this is more awesome that it has any right to be. I was afraid at first that this was a wholesale clip from the movie, but this tweet made it all better again. I'm looking forward to these teasers.

Postby Hiroko » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Holy crap that was awesome. o^o I love the fact that she was kept mute throughout the whole thing, at that. And of course, the wubs.
The Sentimental One

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:56 pm

The only way it could be better was if Celestia put on those head phones.

It was enjoyable.

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)