My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby ari-6 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:23 pm

NEW BEST PONY!!!!!!!!!!!/ My future avatar

Also I found an amusing comic so I thought I would share. Sorry if it has already been uploaded
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:24 pm

Oh my god I love her.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Rukair » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:04 pm

@Ari-6
Now, that is a very funny comic. When I read it a second time I imagine her voice, which made even more funny.

Also guys, this music video is the best
#TWEET IT - MLP Voice Cast & Bronies. (Music Video)
http://youtu.be/5R_q8oTN9UQ

*Edited I really don't know how to show the video, sorry.

Postby Hiroko » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:59 pm

@Rukair: Just take everything after the "v=" part of the link and put them inbetween the tags. Like this:

Code: Select all
[youtube]5R_q8oTN9UQ[/youtube]

Which results in this:

The Sentimental One

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:09 pm

Black Gryph0n is like the luckiest guy ever in brony standards. Getting to hang with those gals as super buddy pals is pretty neat.
An Optimist

Postby tonightscake » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:51 am

Why not?
Lovely Antics

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:32 am

Too bad it says fall 2013.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby tonightscake » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:15 am

Maybe they just went underground.
Why not?
Lovely Antics

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:24 am

I swear to god I love Maud so god damn much! I just... She's such a huge contrast to every other character and it amuses me deeply. Up until the very end I was just having a blast. Then it just went kinda meh.   
An Optimist

Postby Dibullba » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:49 am

I know a certain someone is gonna get diabetes from this..... I regret nothing!

Postby Grieffon » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:36 am

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:15 pm

I can't not love Maud...
An Optimist

Postby Biostar » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:21 pm

This was my favorite episode in a while. Deadpan and dry humor are my favorite kind so this episode had me cracking up throughout. The Pie family are a scary lot. Pinkie can do freaky things, Maud is a superpony. Just think what the others are like. I still wonder why they made another Pie instead of using the other two.

Interesting fact: Maud is an Old German feminine given name meaning "powerful battler". Guess it wasn't just a pun for mud.   

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:36 pm

My review of the episode:

Maud is the greatest character in the show (next to Dash and Derpy). I love her, period. The utterly dry humor (which is something I love) is great. I don't even care if she was possibly retconned into existence, she's awesome.
   Are we not going to explain how she had super strength though? I mean, I know working on a farm can build some muscle, but damn girl.   

I mean shit, Maud went totally Chris Redfield on that    big rock.   

Maud now reminds me of the greatest, worst/best moment in the newer RE games:
   Maud made it look easier though.   

This odd reference was brought to you by: Chris "Fuck Boulders" Redfield and Capcpom.
There's another odd reference for you there as well.

I don't know what it is, but every time Maud    said something rock related it didn't get old and it still had some dry humor to it.    Maybe it was the timing.

To me Maud came off as more laid back and relaxed than anything else. Especially compared to her sister. It may because at one point I was sort of like Maud in terms of personality, so I know that when people act like that they're not as distant as you might think. People like Maud are a lot easier to get along with than most folks realize. The amount of patience she has should be obvious being Pinkie Pie's sister and all.

Speaking of Pinkie, damn was she hyper as hell in this one. Must have been all that candy she ate prior to this... Or did she even eat any of that candy?   

Biostar wrote:   Interesting fact: Maud is an Old German feminine given name meaning "powerful battler". Guess it wasn't just a pun for mud.   

Its like her parents knew, maybe she    Chris Redfielded another big rock    when she was a kid.
That also kid puts the thought into my head that the Pie family might be of what ever the Equestian version of German is. If it turns out they are I would love to see Pinkie start shout off things in German out of nowhere when she gets angry. Then we can translate it and laugh at the weird stuff she's been saying the whole time like with Lady Rainacorn.
Bark

Postby ULTRADJ » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:49 pm

I saw the episode, and was hoping to at least see or a mention to Pinkie's other sister (or sisters, I think she only has Maud and another sister) only because I'm still quite curious of them as well, their personalities if they're like Maud's or different.
Just Rockin

Postby J-Dude » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:32 pm

Huh...

It's a ballsy thing to take on such a dicey proposition as writing a character... a CENTRAL character... who's primary trait is that she's BORING.

Why? Because there's a deep potential that the boredom will leech into the rest of it, and making entertainment that's boring is usually less excusable than merely making entertainment that's BAD.

So, did they pull it off?

I'm gonna say, "maybe."

It was hard to know what the episode's moral was going to be, which kept you seriously thinking about the situation, and just how it could be salvaged. Really, in doing so you began to appreciate Maud's character. Yes, her CHARACTER.

What I liked about this episode was that I don't think the word "boring" was ever used to describe her, though it was fiercely implied. At no point was Maud rude or unpleasant. She seemed willing to try anything presented to her, however limited her ultimate scope of it was. And none of the ponies tried to change her, or conclude that her interests were of any less worth than theirs. They were clearly frustrated at how little enjoyment they derived from interacting with her, but none of them acted like this was her fault.

We didn't even have some dollar-store reveal at the end that aligned everyone's interests. Like, Maud never cracked open a geode and made the other ponies ooh and aah and appreciate what she saw in rocks. I think by episode's end, we know she'd see one of those and be like, "Oh... it's empty. Oh well." We just had to appreciate that she DID find value in what others clearly wouldn't, even if they tried or even if she explained it. Sometimes people are just like that. Bronies should understand this more than others, if you've ever tried showing people the series only to find they still didn't get it.

And for all that, the effort to turn Maud's dullness into awkward humor was nearly as good as one could expect. Rarely laugh-out-loud stuff, though that nuclear rock-toss was certainly TRYING. And it did well to see there WERE interesting things to be said about her, even if the subject matter was dull.

...then again, how many characters in the past have gotten decent mileage out of hurling rocks or having power over earth? Given what we saw by the finale, I'd like to see Maud battle Toph. Her skills are probably subtler than we know...   
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Grivous » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:24 pm

@Dibullba: That's it. I am dead. *falls from the chair*

About the episode:    Boy, the episode was boring as fuck. Just some ginggles here and there, but nothing special or significant happened. At all.   

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:35 pm

J-Dude wrote:   It was hard to know what the episode's moral was going to be, which kept you seriously thinking about the situation, and just how it could be salvaged. Really, in doing so you began to appreciate Maud's character. Yes, her CHARACTER.

What I liked about this episode was that I don't think the word "boring" was ever used to describe her, though it was fiercely implied. At no point was Maud rude or unpleasant. She seemed willing to try anything presented to her, however limited her ultimate scope of it was. And none of the ponies tried to change her, or conclude that her interests were of any less worth than theirs. They were clearly frustrated at how little enjoyment they derived from interacting with her, but none of them acted like this was her fault.
---
And for all that, the effort to turn Maud's dullness into awkward humor was nearly as good as one could expect. Rarely laugh-out-loud stuff, though that nuclear rock-toss was certainly TRYING. And it did well to see there WERE interesting things to be said about her, even if the subject matter was dull.
---
...then again, how many characters in the past have gotten decent mileage out of hurling rocks or having power over earth? Given what we saw by the finale, I'd like to see Maud battle Toph. Her skills are probably subtler than we know...   

I agree with most of this and it kinda goes back to what I said earlier that people (or ponies) like Maud are easier to get along with than some might realize. Like you said even if its hard to tell if Maud was enjoying her time with Pinkie's friends at all, she was still at least there and trying. She's patient almost to a fault (again if you have to grow up with Pinkie you probably need to be) and she's at least open to meeting new people even if her interests are so different and she doesn't view other people's interests as being and less than her own. When you get right down to it, Maud is actually pretty nice, she just doesn't express herself the same way others would, but it may be part of the reason why we seem to be gravitating towards her.
Given time I actually think Maud would have gotten along with them more, the whole "she's really cool once you get to know her" kind of thing, but they only had a day before she went on her study trip.
I also find it interesting that while some ponies find Maud's subdued personality to be odd, Pinkie acts like its noting out of the ordinary. Obviously because they grew up together, but it seems like she sees something in Maud the others didn't. Or maybe its just a sisterly bond.
It could just be me, but I actually find Maud kind of pleasant, it could be with how much her personality contrasts with the other characters, that I find her dryly funny (again I love dry humor) or that I just have a different view of characters like her, but I like her. She has sort of this calmness to her.
But her poetry could use some work though, even if that's just another part of her odd charm. Keep practicing honey. I just can't help but like this character.
And personally I'd like to see Maud and Toph team up, because if they did, I'm sure that anything that bothered them would just get an insta KO. Throw Gaara and Chris Redfield in to the mix and I'm sure that their enemies would all just automatically explode.   

Grivous wrote:@Dibullba: That's it. I am dead. *falls from the chair*
About the episode:    Boy, the episode was boring as fuck. Just some ginggles here and there, but nothing special or significant happened. At all.   
Grivous.

While I greatly disagree with what you said about the episode, I share your sentiment on those Octavia drawings. They're adorable as fuck. Each one gave me a sudden burst of DAWWW after another.
Bark

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:57 pm

Biostar wrote: [spoiler I still wonder why they made another Pie instead of using the other two.[/spoiler]

If I was to hazard a guess it's becuse someone in animation noticed the screw-up in "Pinkie Pride" (that her photo of her family shows THREE sisters with Pinkie, not two), and decided to deal with it. And since the two we saw in the flashback already have canon names (Limestone and Marble), sis#3 was the only candidate left   

Biostar wrote: [spoiler Interesting fact: Maud is an Old German feminine given name meaning "powerful battler". Guess it wasn't just a pun for mud.[/spoiler]

You know, that pun thing might also explain something else. I wondered if they decided to call Pinkie's Dad Igneous Rock not only because it is minerally, but because "Igeneous" sounds a little like "Ignatius" (not a particualrly Amishy name, but it is old-timey). I know that I chose the name Uncle Malachite for the bad relative from Pinkie's past for similar reasons; that Malachite is both a mineral and sounds a lot like "Malachai"   

Mad-Mutt wrote:That also kid puts the thought into my head that the Pie family might be of what ever the Equestian version of German is. If it turns out they are I would love to see Pinkie start shout off things in German out of nowhere when she gets angry. Then we can translate it and laugh at the weird stuff she's been saying the whole time like with Lady Rainacorn.

Ponysylvania Dutch?
Actually you are right in a sense. If the Pie's actually ARE the Equestrian eqivalent of Amish/Mennonite, they WOULD speak a form of German, at least amoungst themselves. The Amish in our world do.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:10 am

I just think Maud Pie came to Ponyville stoned to the gills. That's seems the most likely reason why she's so chill all throughout the episode. And damn, she's fucking strong. I think she's amazing.

Sadly, the Mane 5 had a hard time figuring her out. For what's it worth, I think they should have been in the moment and appreciate Maud as she is. A pony a day in a week is not remotely enough to form some sort of bond, I think.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:25 am

I need art of Maud. Now. Post haste!
Last edited by Mr. Sefrol on Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
An Optimist

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:38 am

Kusang_Manalo wrote:I just think Maud Pie came to Ponyville stoned to the gills. That's seems the most likely reason why she's so chill all throughout the episode. And damn, she's fucking strong. I think she's amazing.

Fun idea, but the only drug I can think of that could put Maude into the state she appeared to be in (perfectly calm, but able to react with her full capacity at the drop of a hat) would be (based on what I have read, not firsthand experiance) a VERY precise dose of iboga (Tabernanthe iboga). And I mean VERY precise (too little and it wouldn't work, too much and she'd go into a frenzy) .
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Grieffon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:13 am

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:41 am

^ Perfect.
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:12 am

Good morning, Maudie. John is always on top of this.

@Mon: Nah, just gummy bears are enough. She doesn't have to assess her whole life all the way from birth.

Whelp, there are eight more episodes to go and StarCrafts's coming out next week. March is going to be an awesome month!
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)