My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Grieffon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:32 pm

@Mon: I already counted episode 20 in my list, which is very likely to be AJ's key episode, based on the synopsis.

Postby Grivous » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:43 am

@Mad-Mutt: You can use this picture as reference too:

And I think the correct word is "Maru Sue" for female characters. The male version was named as "Gary Stu", as far as I know.

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:06 am

Oh god, I better catch on the last two episodes. I'm really behind in all this. I'm excited for Maud Pie, though.

If anyone's interested in animating, I have two rigs in my gallery. Let me know what you guys think. :]

Equestria Boy puppet pig
Flash Sentry puppet rig
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Grieffon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:12 pm

@Kusang: I don't know about animations, so I can't test that. But from the image, Flash's hands are a bit too small, especially when comparing to the other guy.

Incoming rant. If you don't want to read it, just look at the awesome gif below and ignore the rest of this post.

Mary Sue has a very wide range of meaning, but one of them is "a character that never has to deal with realistic consequences". Fluttershy fits this very well, because she almost never receive any kind of backlash. The most recent, prominent example is Bats!: Suggesting an unrealistic option to deal with vampire fruit bats even though she has no knowledge of them? Still become the right one in the end.

Also, a lot of times, Fluttershy developed backwards. In Dragonshy, she was willing to stand up to a dragon for her friends. In Stare Master, she ran into the Everfree, at night, to look for the CMCs. Then later, in Magic Duel, she wasn't willing to go into the Everfree even though all of her friends and the entire town was at stake. More recently, in Power Ponies, her friends being in danger didn't trigger her, but when a firefly got flicked she went berserk.

But the worst part, IMO, is that almost every episode about Fluttershy has been about her trying to be more assertive, one way or another. The recent lesson of "being too kind" is still her trying to be assertive enough to refuse the Breezies. Even the writers seem to realize this, and as a result, the only way they could make her interesting recently is gimmicks. Flutterhulk, Flutterbat, Flutterguy, Breezies. She just can't carry an episode by herself anymore.

The other case of a weak character is Applejack. She is quite satisfied with her job, and doesn't seem to have any dream other than raising money, and her only issue - being stubborn - has already been dealt with in her first episode. Being the straight mare she is ("I didn't learn anything. I was right all along"), she is not that interesting by herself. To solve this, she has mostly been paired with other ponies, usually her family, and it still works well enough, though I wish they would pair her with the mane 6 more instead of the Apple family. AJ was great in Simple Ways.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Part of the issue with AJ and FS as characters, I think is that in some ways thier story lines are the reverse of that of the other 4. All of the other four (well, three of them. Pinkie is a little hard to classify) are on their way to achieving what they see as thier life's goals (Master Magician, Leading Fashion designer, Member of Wonderbolts). All are well on thier way by now, but none of them are actually there yet.

In contrast AJ and FS already HAVE the lives they want, since both thier aspirations are a lot simpler (this assumes FS is living more or less the life she wants; that being Ponyville's premiere animal raiser and pet matched actually IS her raison d' etre.) So thier equivalent drives are actually the reverse of the others. They aren't motiviated by a desire to get more, but by a fear of losing what they already have. This applies more stongly to AJ. A lot of the "crises" AJ has basically boil down to "something happening that could potentially take away the things she values most" (the farm and her family) But it is in FS too. One of the big reasons we get "flutter the doormat" and the assertiveness never seems to stick is that Flutter is in her heart of hearts, afraid o being asseritive, afraid that if she stands up for herself, everyone will turn away from her. This also shows up in Psychoshy at the gala; the moment she finds animals that don't much care about her, who won't give her the easy minimally condtional love she so desperately craves, she snaps. I hate to get so down on her, but I think it is possible that Pinkie isn't the ONLY member of the mane six who might benefit from a little therapy (actually they all probably could use a touch).
While on the surface, the fact mentioned should not make much of a difference, it does in fact make a BIG one. Since both AJ and FS want the lives they have now to be the lives they are, they are going to be conservative in thier actions. They are less likey to take risks; to do things that will change things. Doing little to nothing keeps the status quo, but they WANT the status quo to stay. And characters whose main motivation is to keep things the way they are are rarely if EVER as good story wise as those trying to change it.
Actually in some ways we get to see the alternative. In her quest to get her mark, Applebloom is, in some ways a counter AJ; she's basically what AJ would be if she WASN'T happy with where her life was.
But FS is a problem. We've seen what often happens when she tries to go for "strong"; she can't handle it. She can show her backbone from time to time when she feels she has not other choice (or more accurately, when she thinks no one will fault her for it) but just as often as that happens are the times when she goes from passive to agressive, from doormat to jerk. Whatever pain is in her past (and I think it goes WAAY beyond the mere teasing she got) it's still there, buried deep. Part of the reason I complained way back when Discord "flipped" her in the maze that the flip wasn't right (that flutter flipped should have become a sadist, not merely a bully) isn't just I though that would be more interesting, but because I seriosly think thart potential lies in her darker regions, that take away the kindess and the empathy, and what was left would just be the pain and the frustration, without any control. I think Flutter may in a situation where, if someone took away her understanding of how it feels to be really hurt, and the desire not to hurt anyone else she could turn into someone who lived to hurt others. Fluttershy's shed was a joke, but I'm not sure any longer if it is as much of a joke as it seemed. At least, that's how I see it.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:05 pm

I have a question... Whenever someone brings up a debate about Fluttershy in this chat... why does no one mention Hurricane Fluttershy? I agree that most of the episodes that focus on her primarily are resolved with her being assertive in some way. But then what was HF? It was about her inability to fly as well as any of the others getting her down and resolving to better herself to be able to help RD, even if it was just barely enough. It was about her building enough confidence and working towards one stepping stone. Or what about Green isn't your Colour where her and Rarity are stuck in a loop being displeased with the situation but making it worse by trying to please the other while Twi was on the sidelines feeling like she couldn't say a word about it? It was resolved with FS being honest with herself along with Rarity. Or how about the latest episode with Flutterguy? She again had to wrestle with her self confidence and it was put into the open that it would be a work in progress to achieve unlike how her assertiveness seems to just drop off every episode that it comes up. Come on, don't ignore these bits guys.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:18 am

I'm not trying to ignore them; they just don't seem to me much different from the main issue. It appears by now that Flutters weak flying has no PHYSICAL base, when she put her mind to it, she can fly as strongly as any other pegasi. If she didn't, she wouldn't have been chosen as one of the memebers of the pony relay team (I'm not saying that being RD's friend doesn't count, just that, with the EG qualifications on the line, it's unlikey RD would select Fluttershy if she actually WAS incapable of flying well. Her candidate pool may be small but it isn't THAT small.)
The modeling thing and the singing are progress, but as pointed out, they are SLOW progress. It isn't that Flutter is incapable of making progress but it seems to largely be "three steps forward, two steps back" (with fairly frequent cases of actually taking a dozen steps back) Flutter may someday permanantly get her backbone, but I think it will take a "very special" episode, with Flutter having to bring her inner demons completely out in the open, and face them head on.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:29 am

And what about the latest 2 episode of her's this season? I feel like they're the most genuine and well written ones in terms of noticeable progress for her since HF to me. She faced some demons in HF that I really liked seeing and I will be looking forward to this "very special" episode.
An Optimist

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:47 am

Which will, alas probably never come. MLP:FIM is a kids show after all, and there are some things that just cannot be shown on a kids show, or, at least, not shown in the manner they would need to be shown to be meaningful. Flutter will never get her full facing of her inner demons for the same reason we are never going to see AJ's parents' deaths on screen, or even thier graves (assuming they have any). Given the age group they are primarily targeting, there really is no way to show these things as they should be shown and still have something that won't draw the ire of overprotective parents. Yes, they have shown a funeral in MLP:FIM, and a terminally ill pony, but they were brief and not shown in a manner that where it was of any plot significance. However neccecary they are for the development of the characters, they will, at best, forever remain in the zone of our collective imaginations. Flutter's final break could no more become official on screen canon than Uncle Malachite.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:43 am

I got two words to counter that argument though: Chucky's mom.

That's all I need to say.
An Optimist

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:13 pm

Well, it's not like we saw Chuckie's mom actually die on screen, or the episode "Chuckie and his Dad go visit the cemetary" (unless they did that somewhere in "Grown Up". Plus, that was on Nick. Nick's a lot more confortable with touching the hard stuff than I think either The Hub or Hasbro is. The Franchise money is a lot more (there were Rugrats toys, but it was very clearly "show first" not "toys first"). Also wasn't that special after they started showing Rugrats around 7:00PM, when it was late enough for "family" programing. Maybe saying "they CAN'T do it" was a poor choice of words; it's more along the lines of "I don't think they WILL do it"

Postby Grivous » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:28 pm

Hey, guys. I got to a shop to see some Hasbro's toys. I was looking for some miniatures when I found something that I didn't know:

Do you know that manticora in the show?

I found a miniature of it in one of collectionables toys, including Fluttershy, Nightmare Moon, Rarity and Steven Magnet(that hydra[?] with a mustache).
For my surprise, the manticore got a name: Manny Roar.
Wow, I didn't know that.

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:39 pm

I think Stepen was actually a sea serpent or water dragon(actually he looks an awful lot like a Chinese Dragon). Hydra's by defintion have more than one head).

But that is a fun facr. Wonder if that means we'll be seeing them again.

Postby ari-6 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:47 pm

Wow, that is something new. Look at the miniature of Nightmare moon. It looks much more like nightmare Rarity
Image Image I hope we will see more of these

I just saw a live action advert for Equestria Girls that was so awful, I must now strip it from my memory

.......what was I talking about? Oh yeah, new Fluffle Puff.
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Grivous » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:52 pm

That's what I totally would do if he really did a blink on Twilight when I watched that episode.

I must say: In the first moment on that scene, when he glared at Twilight, I let escape a grunt; an angry grunt. When I realized what I just did, it was a funny and weird reaction from myself. It was almost, like, instinctive.
I am still trying to understand why and what had motived me to do that. lol

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby ULTRADJ » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:46 pm

Well, we don't need him anyways. He was just a cheap love gimmick for Twilight that really wasn't needed at all.
Just Rockin

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:08 pm

Just a few more minutes, darling.
--
--
A little picture of Pinkie helping Rarity by trying on a dress for her.
This was a little birthday gift for BR.
Bark

Postby ari-6 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:15 pm

I really hope FS doesn't make an appearance in EG two. He said with a posed look

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:06 am

ari-6 wrote:.......what was I talking about? Oh yeah, new Fluffle Puff.

That hurt my heart and I don't mind.

Also, I'm seriously dumbfounded Fluff was able to drive competently, but yet while able to make a seemingly perfect dinner scorched herself. That's pretty impressive to fail as well as succeed so well.
An Optimist

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:07 am

I'm, actually a little confused as to how she passed the test. You normally have to say what you see in the eye exam part. Though I suppose they must have alternate acceptable methods for the speech inpared; mayble Fluff knows sign language.
As for the driving and food thing, maybe she is a savant of some sort.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:30 pm

I thought savants were only super amazing at one thing, but everything else they sucked at?
An Optimist

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:05 pm

or it could just be a video that was made for fun, with a sweet message and everyone is looking way too deep into it

but the fuck do i know, right? Carry on then, gents.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:16 pm

Mr. Sefrol wrote:I thought savants were only super amazing at one thing, but everything else they sucked at?

I think there are multi-talented savants as well. Savant syndrome isn't really an accepted specific psycological diagnosis anymore as it is too vauge. It covers a very wide range of disorders, and even some non disorders (in otherwords there are savants who are NOT medically idiots, who have exceptional talents on top of perfectly Normal talents in everything else. I just used savant beacuse it sounded nicer than any other term I could have used to guess her nature. "Savant" has a lot less stigma than "high functioning autistic".

Postby ari-6 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:23 pm

I thought they were just following their personalities that were set out in the comic. Hence, Puff can drive in the main series so she can drive in this version. "High functioning autistic" would be over thinking it in my opinion

Postby Grieffon » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:09 pm

This should be fun.

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)