My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:20 am

It was overshadowing their mlp social game that they wanted to put out there, and because of it they most likely thought if they let this game go through it would steal attention from theirs, or demand better effort on their part aside from... whatever that thing is. And/or it's a result of getting so much attention from Pax and the Skullgirls kickstarter drive that caused a bunch of people who didn't like the game to complain to Hasbro to have it taken out.

One or both are my biggest bets as to why it came up, but I'm still baffled as to how they had the ability to give a C&D. There was no revenue made for making the game being totally a fan project and it should have been held up by the fair use law for being such.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Grieffon » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:25 am

Blame copyright laws. If you compare Hasbro to, say, Disney, they are very lenient towards what fans do, proof being tons of pony plushie makers still working, despite Hasbro having their own plushie to sell. So far, they seem to take action only when their copyright is threatened.

Postby Grieffon » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:03 am

Heh, Doctor Who reference. Doctor Whooves was wearing 3D glasses, walking with Rose(luck).

Postby Biostar » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:04 pm

Cute episode but I didn't really get anything out of it.    Rainbow wanting to be gryphon and dragon was funny though   

I did realize something:   Sea Breeze was so desperate to get back home because he had a wife and kid. What a guy.   

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:09 pm

Grieffon wrote:So far, they seem to take action only when their copyright is threatened.

Explain this to me.
An Optimist

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:13 pm

Notes

1.He-he Mareiachi Band

2. Evidently, based on Seabreeze's accent when he speaks Equestrian, the opening to Breezyworld must be in the Equestria equivalent of Scandanavia. Actually, does anyone here speak any of the Scandanavian languages? It almost sounded like Breezish might actually BE one of them.

3. Speaking of him, up until the end, I had a lot of trouble realizing that "he" was a "him". With the wings and the long lashes, it was decepetive. Every time one of the ponies said "he" I got that strange feeling I used to get watching the Inuyasha arc with the band of Seven. Actually, given the last scene, it looks like a LOT of the breezies in that band were male.   
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby J-Dude » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:23 pm

Well hey, this episode was better than I expected!

It felt short... but I've GOT to give props to an episode with such an unconventional moral. That's not the sort of thing you usually find in a show like this, showing how being nice and polite isn't ALWAYS the most helpful thing to do, and however harsh it might seem, being firm can be equally important. This being a major epiphany for Fluttershy so she could earn her key works really well. She's been told not to be a pushover before, but only for her OWN benefit. This is the first time she's understood how standing up to people can be important and necessary for THEM as well. Tough love. That's some serious character growth! She's learned to be assertive, but now she knows why she SHOULD be, not simply for her own gains.

The Breezies themselves puzzle me, but I also think they were handled exceptionally well.

The way these guys need every single thing to be JUST so, their clear frailness... it makes me think natural selection would have eaten them alive a long time ago.

But then, they actually live in another WORLD that seems far far less hostile, so it sorta makes sense. In fact, that bit seems necessary, because if you told me they lived in the same world as the ponies, I'd have told you to gtfo, because they'd be long extinct.

So, that makes me take it seriously, and so does the WEIRDLY endearing Scottish/Nordic accent and language they were all using.

Such an odd choice, but I think it worked better than anything else would have. If they just spoke like little pixies as the girls did when they transformed the whole time, it would've seemed silly. For some reason, I believed these accents more.

Also, I like how Sea Breeze is a dude, despite looking no different from the others and having the huge eyelashes. Reinforcing that by having him come home to a wife and child at the end was a good touch too.   

Ultimately, very well handled. I actually expected to like this one a lot less!
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Grieffon » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:41 pm

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:47 pm

Actually speaking of the language, it's sort of funny that Flutter started speaking Breezish as soon as she transformed. Presumably she didn't know it at the beginning of the episode (or she would have understood all of the Breezies) So she must be a real quick study to pick it up. Although being able to say one phrase in it probably isn't all that hard even if she only had a few hours, particuarly that one (which I'm sure Seabreeze was SCREAMING at the other Breezies constantly.)   
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Lady Haru » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:09 pm

Mon-Kitsune wrote:   Actually speaking of the language, it's sort of funny that Flutter started speaking Breezish as soon as she transformed. Presumably she didn't know it at the beginning of the episode (or she would have understood all of the Breezies) So she must be a real quick study to pick it up. Although being able to say one phrase in it probably isn't all that hard even if she only had a few hours, particuarly that one (which I'm sure Seabreeze was SCREAMING at the other Breezies constantly.)   

actually she did state in the episode that she fully spoke the language, didn't she?
she spoke it to Sea Breeze who was surprised then she said she knew the languages of all creatures
she probably suddenly spoke it as a Breezie because it only made sense to speak Breezie as a Breezie surrounded by Breezies
you know? lol   
ImageImage
Tumblr 1 // Tumblr 2 // Facebook // Dreadful Comics
Alopunk - Haru, you are 200% a cutie patootie
Your Queen Your God

Postby ari-6 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:22 pm

I had a feeling this Breezies would be a toy vehicle. How long until I see them in stores. I was wondering, why do they all sound Norwegian?
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:27 pm

The whole episode I had to keep reminding myself Sea Breeze was a dude. I shouldn't make fun since I've been known to make an androgynous character or two.

Anyways, these little creatures were odd little things. I was expecting fairies, but I was only half right. I did like Sea Breeze because of how pissed off he always was and his funny little accent (that sounded Swedish to me) was kind of cute. I like to think that most of the stuff Sea Breeze said in his native tongue were a curse words.
There's some odd delight I get when I see something small and cute tell its fellow small and cute thing that they all suck.
I kind of wished that was the whole episode.   

Here's a demo,    Sea Breeze    is the drill instructor and    the Breezies    are everyone else:

I kind of wished Sea Breeze was like this through the whole episode.

ari-6 wrote:I had a feeling this Breezies would be a toy vehicle. How long until I see them in stores. I was wondering, why do they all sound Norwegian?

Give it a week or two, maybe slightly more and if we don't see it by then, then maybe not. If they don't its a wasted chance and I'd rather have a figure of those things (mainly due to how oddly outlandish their appearance is and I mean that in a good way) than any of the rainbow figures. Then again the only figures I want to collect are Godzilla stuff, so what do I know?
And I have no idea why, maybe check Norwegian myths and maybe there'll be something related to this maybe?
Bark

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:30 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote:    There's some odd delight I get when I see something small and cute tell its fellow small and cute thing that they all suck.   

You must LOVE the Nac MacFeegle then   

Mad-Mutt wrote:And I have no idea why, maybe check Norwegian myths and maybe there'll be something related to this maybe?

Well, a lot of the little creatures of folklore are of Nordic origin: Gnomes, Dwarves, etc. And since some people think there is also a touch of Gaelic (someone said scottish, but that would also include Irish) in the Breezy accent, that brings in all of the Celtic tinies, pixies, fairies, brownies,leprechauns, cluirchauns, in fact about half the Daonie Sidhe (or whatever the equivalent term is in Scottish folklore).

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:49 pm

@Mon-K:

Wow, I read Wee Free Men a long time ago, I had almost forgotten about it.
Bark

Postby Grivous » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:32 pm

I can't look at it without giving a little giggle on each of them. Specially Applejack's, Pinkie's and Scoots'("If I don't smile in a picture, I look sad").

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:23 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote:@Mon-K:

Wow, I read Wee Free Men a long time ago, I had almost forgotten about it.

They've shown up a bit more since then. Basically since Tiffany took over being Kelda for a while, they've decided they basically are her bodygurads for life. Plus they've gotten a few new odd members, like Wee Mad Arthur (   who it turns out, isn't a gnome   ) and Horace, an unusually lively and animated cheese Tiffany made.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:37 am

I really loved this episode. I couldn't get over how cute and odd the breezies were with their "European"(?) accent. (seriously, can someone pin down the most likely language? It's starting to get to me.) And the fact that you couldn't really tell the difference from male and female made me think. How often have they actually pulled off an androgynous character in cartoons in the west, especially since in the show males and females are often very easy to tell apart in most occasions? Also, even before the breezies showed up I was laughing. Rarity and Spike really contributed nicely in that department. Also, it's sort of weird... I really thought I knew what was going to happen but then it being something completely different. I thought Flutts was going to be selfish and keep them, but like her friends say she knows what she's doing and is ready to have them sent on their merry way even with a touch of overprotectiveness tossed in. (before the lil ones start to try and be little sneaks) I thought that her friends would bust in and help her realize what needed to be done, but she figured it out on her own. I thought that Fluttershy was going to try and help with the flapping since she's super gentle and would make a nice soft breeze, but her and the gang get transformed into breezies which was a cool excuse to see the breezies world for a sec. Really, this was a sweet episode that did Fluttershy justice, showing she has been growing up until now and has finally let all of those other Fluttershy assertiveness episodes come to a nice lil finale. The only nitpick I had was when Seabreeze admitted he was a jerk before, but only to the two breezies. It felt a little shoehorned in and would have liked it if he told the whole group that before setting out and then afterwards give words of encouragement... but that's just again being nitpicky. On the topic of him, I swear I want to see him again. I love him and want more.   
Mr. Sefrol wrote:
Grieffon wrote:So far, they seem to take action only when their copyright is threatened.

Explain this to me.

There was none... I am now sad.
Grivous wrote:("If I don't smile in a picture, I look sad").

Grivous.

I swear if that wasn't a nod to the bronies and their ideas that Scoots is sad on a "I don't have my parents anymore" level, I don't know what is.
An Optimist

Postby Grieffon » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:57 am

I can't say I like the whole "assertive" thing on Fluttershy. Almost every Fluttershy episodes have something to do with "being assertive". It is said differently each time, but it's still the same old lesson. On top of that, I despise the idea of forcing someone who is an introvert to become assertive, because it reflects the ideal of extrovert being more favored in real life, and that introverts can somehow "grow out of their shells" to become extroverts. Any kind of assertiveness will only be a momentary thing, it will never stick. Which is exactly what happens in the show: Fluttershy learns to be assertive in one episode, forgets by the next, and has to relearn it over and over again.

About the copyright, I don't know the exact details, but apparently in the US, if you don't enforce your copyright, you will lose it. Hasbro will usually turn a blind eye, but when something receive a lot of publicity, like the Skullgirls Campaign, they are forced to take action, or else risk losing their copyrights. That's why Fighting is Magic was the only fandom game that got shut down, and Whitedove was the only plushie maker who got requested to remove her price from her dA page (but still allowed to do that via PMs).

And no, that's not a nod. "If I don't smile in a picture, I look sad" is just a very real-life fact for many people. This is a nod:

Last edited by Grieffon on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:04 pm

Damn, I wanted it to be a nod... It was so out of nowhere to me it felt like one.

And I've heard this "enforcing copyrights" thing, but... I still don't get how it trumps out the freedom of use and parody laws like with Friendship is Witchcraft or other fan projects.
An Optimist

Postby Grivous » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:28 pm

A "nod"? What is a "nod" in this case?

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby ari-6 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:01 pm

A nod is A reference.

"RainbowDas presents" Scootaloo is best Scootaloo

I heard about that enforcing copyright thing on the patch. I felt that maybe Hasbro shut the game down, considering all the things they let slip, because some PR manager was afraid children or parents would stumble upon it and become furious for whatever reason. I feel like american stay-at-home-moms just look for things to complain about in media and won't be happy until everything is sugar-coated and encased in the wrapping of bubbles.

Postby Grieffon » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:13 pm

Oh yeah, that's part of the reason too: it's a fighting game, which involves the mane 6 beating up each other. Nothing too violent, but it goes against the show's message. Otherwise, Hasbro might have even given them their permission to make the game, like Double Rainboom.

And yeah, soccer moms is a problem, but lately, SJWs (which are mostly teenagers) are much more annoying.

Postby ari-6 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:21 pm

What the heck is an SJW?

We don't have a common problem with overprotective mothers in my country. In my world I see two year old's with ear piercings and ten year old's smoking, and everyone wears tracksuits.

But yes, depending on what it is, Hasbro is more likely to shut it down. There are many fan groups that make transformers toys based on Hasbro's designs using names and visuals from Hasbro's IP. And when they are really good at it Hasbro hires them. I think it is all about letting slip what will be beneficial to you and shutting down whatever might bite you in the ass later.

Also Grieffon, do you have a DA account or a tumblr perhaps?

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:36 pm

I think SJW stands for Social Justice Warriors.

Anyways found some really cool art and there's one that makes me laugh:

Laughter first.
I'd love to see an episode of this. If I had any say in it I'd let the episode end with them still being pissed at each other and just let the fandom sit on that for a few more episodes before they finally made up.
--

I don't know what those things are, but they'd better back the buck off.
--
People and animals tend to get very violent when definding their kin:

I just like the amount of detail in this Queenie:
--

MLP Tarrot cards!
First rule of the Tarrot, the death card doesn't mean death. It means change.
--
Bark

Postby ari-6 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:46 pm

I found those tarot cards a weak ago. Thought it could have been done better. I would have called Sombra for emperor

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)