My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Saint Soul » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:36 pm

suggestion: no walls of text until atleast sunday night/monday morning.

i hate looking at large walls of black tape.
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Grieffon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:51 pm

Sorry, but I can't agree with delaying discussion just because of some random reasons like someone don't like a black text wall. The only reason I haven't posted any spoilers yet is because of the no-leak rule back when Soth was still around. Black text wall will appear as soon as the episode is posted here.

Postby Saint Soul » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:02 pm

im talking about large long walls of text.

Postby Grieffon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:07 pm

I'm afraid "hating long black text wall" is not good enough of a reason for anything. Most of the long posts are right after an episode airs. People should be able to make their post whenever they have the time for it.

Plus, this episode is so good, delaying an analysis would be a crime.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:41 am

^Yes. That last sentence I can't agree with more.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Saint Soul » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:28 am

then why black tape it.

i absoulutely hate the idea of black taping on a thread like this to begin with. it doesnt make sense.

Postby Grieffon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:39 am

Because that's the rule Soth and later Blordy placed and we don't want to get banned. If you want to complain, tell him. I don't like spoilers to be placed after the episode is posted, but rules are rules.

And I'd rather black tape my thoughts than wait to say it 2 days later.

Postby Grieffon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:00 pm

Alt link

- Cheese Sandwich is a great character. Unlike the counterpart-type antagonist so far like Trixie, Lightning Dust or Suri Polomare, he’s a nice guy who just try to show appreciation to Pinkie, instead of just trying to outdo her like the others. He has a good background story, and is overall a very good parallel with Pinkie Pie. And of course for the VA, you can’t go wrong with Weird Al.

- The humor, my god, the humor. Definitely the most hilarious episode in the series. Probably the only episode where I actually laughed. All the antics were fun and Twilight’s good-off rule book was a nice touch. Needless to say, Live Action Gummy is god.

- The songs are fantastic, not just from a 3-Grammy singer, but also from Pinkie Pie. I think she actually sings better without her usual hyper tone.

- The moral comes later into the episode and it feels more natural than some other episodes, i.e. Bats! . Personally, I appreciate story much more than a moral, and I believe moral should only be put in once the story is already good, instead of building the story around the moral.

- Now for the main character of the episode, Pinkie Pie. Her tendency to over exaggerate the situation first shown in Party of One played out very well here, and so did they mood swing she already displayed several times. I especially like how she gave up, going through the memories of the party she threw, and then recovered, therefore proving that she learned something from Party of One. And when she got caught up in her pride, in trying to reclaim her title, she forgot what was important, and the whole thing was very logical. Pinkie Pie learned the lesson herself, but the resolution coming from her friends and the antagonist instead of herself is a nice difference from other episodes.

- As a bonus, I like Dash in this episode, though many, many will disagree. It’s easy to get caught up in things, whether it’s a premier party planner or the pride of being one, so it’s all good as long as they realize their faults. And to be fair, Cheese completely outdid Pinkie.

- Also, the antagonist actually "wins" for once. They kept the promise of the Goof-Off, as most of the stuff in Dash's party is still from Cheese Sandwich, except for the banner made by Pinkie earlier in the episode.   

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:48 pm

Minor notes
   1.Nice touch that young Cheese Sandwitch looks like "old style" Wierd Al (glasses, pouffy hair) Pity there was no scence from his adolescence, I would have like to see if the animators would have given him a moustache.)

2. Anyone else get a sort of Beauty and the Beast vibe from the opening song?3. My memory may be failing, but I could have sworn Pinkie only had 2 sisters. the picture seemed to show three.)

4. Interesting that Rainbow Dash's baloon has visible hooves/horseshoes when Raimbow Dash herself does not.

5. Looks like Derpy is now permanantly a front pony again, even if they don't let her talk. I'm actually okay with that, she's just as funny, if not funnier miming.)

6. Based on some of the jokes (and it's own name) It seems that the ponies must eat and have a LOT of types cheese, raising again the whole "rennet" question. (one of these days I really hope to get the obvios out for this question and see some farm in Equestria with a whole lot of big thistles/artichokes.......

7. Pinkie must have matured a little, she managed to get depressed and NOT have a mane blowout   
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:07 pm

Even though I do agree with Grieffon most of what he said, the part where everyone suddenly backs up Cheese and RD says "Pinkie Pie's parties are fun and sweet and all" made me feel like this'd be something said in season 1 or 2. I'd expect Dash to know saying such a thing out loud would be a bit hurtful, even if everyone is getting swept away by their awe of Cheese. It would have been worse if they didn't have them say exactly that they got swept away by the moment later in the episode, but overall this episode was freakin gold. I loved Cheese's "real" backstory, meaning Pinkie and him are about the same age, the humor, and with how many songs their were (which surprised me) they all were lovely and didn't feel just thrown in. They expressed the moments well as well as the character's feelings. Spot on!   
An Optimist

Postby Grieffon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 pm

Yeah, even if Dash was never the most tactful, that line was a bit overdone.   

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:13 pm

1: I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure    Weird Al was doing an impersonation of Clint Eastwood, he even had a similar outfit and episode had a similar ending to a movie I think he was in. Weird Al being a pony and doing a Clint Eastwood impression... I guess I can cross that off of my list of "Weird stuff I'd never thought I'd see."   

2: Pinkie Pie is the best singer out of all the characters in the show. That's not a spoiler that's just obvious.
(Opinion based of course.)

3: This was a very lively episode. I could be that I had just woken up when I first saw it, but things just kept moving and moive and my favorite part was actually the    much slower part when Pinkie was singing her sad song. But other than that the show just kept moving and moving.   

4: I wonder if    Cheese actually hears those rubber chickens talking to him in his head.   

5:    Rainbow Dash was adorable in this one as was Pinkie Pie and her overabundance of dedication to her friend. More ammo for the shippers, but it was still at super-duper-mega dawww levels of cute.   

6: This is also the first time the show mixed    live action in it    and it may just be me but,    live action Gummy was so adorable. Just look at the little baby, he was so cute. Just awww, baby gators are so cute!   

7: Now that I think of it, how did Pinkie come to own a baby gator?
I'd like to see an episode were Gummy goes through a growth spurt and is all big and stuff. In captivity alligators will tend to grow 3 to 4 feet a year so Gummy should start to get pretty big soon (I've raised reptiles before). That would be an interesting episode with Pinkie trying to find a way to keep Gummy despite him becoming a possibly dangerous animal.

8: Not a bad episode. A lot of Dash and Pinkie cuteness and a lot of energy.

9:
Mon-Kitsune wrote:   2. Anyone else get a sort of Beauty and the Beast vibe from the opening song?3. My memory may be failing, but I could have sworn Pinkie only had 2 sisters. the picture seemed to show three.)   

If you mean the opening of Beauty and the Beast, yeah. I totally know what you mean Mon-K. I was getting the same vibe. I half-expected a lyric to pop up with a pony singing, "She really is a funny filly, that Pinkie."
And Mon-k, as for that other part about the    Sisters... Maybe the third sister is Octavia and they retconned her in there along with Inky and Blinky or whatever the hell they're being called now.   

RETCONS AND CONTINUITY ERRORS! THAT IS WHAT YOUR ENTERTAINMENT IS MADE OUT OF!!!
I'm just kidding around.   
Bark

Postby BeeAre » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:48 pm

The fourth Pie sister is obviously Clyde. Bonnabelle Enclyde Pie. Bonnie Enclyde. I'm so funny. :U

Instant top 5 for me.

Polka Medley Duel seals the deal ;_; so beautiful   
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote:1: I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure    Weird Al was doing an impersonation of Clint Eastwood, he even had a similar outfit and episode had a similar ending to a movie I think he was in. Weird Al being a pony and doing a Clint Eastwood impression... I guess I can cross that off of my list of "Weird stuff I'd never thought I'd see."   

He was, the movie was A Fistful of Dollars I just didn't mention it becuase I had mentioned it before, when the clip was leaked last week (though it occurs to me that, as I blackbarred that for people who didn't watch the clip in advance, a lot of people probably never looked at it, so I should have mentioned it   

Mad-Mutt wrote:7: Now that I think of it, how did Pinkie come to own a baby gator?
I'd like to see an episode were Gummy goes through a growth spurt and is all big and stuff. In captivity alligators will tend to grow 3 to 4 feet a year so Gummy should start to get pretty big soon (I've raised reptiles before). That would be an interesting episode with Pinkie trying to find a way to keep Gummy despite him becoming a possibly dangerous animal.

Presumably, she got him from Fluttershy who seems to be the Ponyville petmaster. As for the growth spurt, that really depends on what kind of crocodillian he is. While his last name is gator, it doesn't follow he is an american alligator, or even an alligator at all (Pinkie is not likey to let matters of taxonomy get in the way of an alliterative name. Gummy has no visible teeth (or, as far as we know, any teeth at all) so the old "look for the protruding tooth" trick can't be used; he could be a crocodile. My money is on him being a caiman (which people keep as pets as well), in which case the growth would be a lot more moderate caimans don't get more than 4-5 feet total. Heck, with that long snout of his, he might even be a baby gavial (those fish eating needle nosed crocodillians found in the Ganges and (formerly) the Yangzhe.)
Mad-Mutt wrote:9:
Mon-Kitsune wrote:   2. Anyone else get a sort of Beauty and the Beast vibe from the opening song?3. My memory may be failing, but I could have sworn Pinkie only had 2 sisters. the picture seemed to show three.)   

If you mean the opening of Beauty and the Beast, yeah. I totally know what you mean Mon-K. I was getting the same vibe. I half-expected a lyric to pop up with a pony singing, "She really is a funny filly, that Pinkie."
And Mon-k, as for that other part about the   
   Sisters... Maybe the third sister is Octavia and they retconned her in there along with Inky and Blinky or whatever the hell they're being called now.   
spoiler]RETCONS AND CONTINUITY ERRORS! THAT IS WHAT YOUR ENTERTAINMENT IS MADE OUT OF!!!
I'm just kidding around.[/spoiler]

That was EXACTLY the part I meant.
I suppose the third sister could be Octavia (BTW the official names of the others are Marble and Limestone) Though that would bring up the question of how she got the British accent. No wait, it wouldn't; she hasn't ever spoken in the actual show (Damn, It's gotten to the point where I can't remember what is canon and what is fanon!)and mean that she now dyes her mane and tail (third pony's mane wasn't black)   

[
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:34 pm

This is really a fun episode. I think I smiled all throughout the episode. This episode is so jolly I love it.

I kinda understand how the ponies reacted when Cheese Sandwich first appeared in Ponyville. He's the new guy on the block and sometimes people tend to overhype it when it's not necessary.

And Dashie acted a bit of a douche when she said that line out loud.

That ending party was HUGE. It makes me wonder where did they all those funds? ha ha
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:05 am

One more thing that occured to me

8. How the heck could Diamond Tiara have had a quincenera yet? By defintion doesn't that not happen until a person hits 15 years old. No way Diamond is that old; 15 year old in Equestria would be WELL into adulthood, probably approaching middle age. Given that she is in the equivalent of grade school, I doub't Diamond is even 15 years old in human years. Unless Ponies have thier quinceneras at 15 months, not years   

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:14 am

@Mon-K:

I had thought my favorite little bully, Tiara had said, "Cuteceneras" as in the party the ponies throw for when a young one finally receives their marks so I didn't think about it. I guess I'll listen more closely when I re-watch the episode to make sure.

As for the whole pony aging thing, who knows how that works, some people have theories that the ponies live unnaturally long lives by our standards (some people joke that Granny Smith is like 200), I assume that ponies of this world use to live as long as our equines do a long time ago, but after they played around with magic a little, they've been able to extend their lives, like the theory that Alicorns aren't really immortal, they just cast aging spells on themselves, only this is something all normal equine citizens have and they've genetically passed it onto their children and they've just kept the traditions that their ancestors had.

That's just a theory off the top of my head.
Bark

Postby Hiroko » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:50 am

She says "Cuteceñera," which should be a callback to the episode where she, well, had her Cuteceñera at Sugarcube Corner, the same episode where the Cutiemark Crusaders first (officially) met, remember?
The Sentimental One

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:00 am

I tend to sort of go by assuming that the ponies age about double the human rate, plus maybe a little. Granny is 43 so by this she'd be about 86-somewhere in her 90's (we know she's the oldest pony in Ponyville, but we don't know how that compares to other areas of Equestria or by how much Granny is older than either the next oldest pony or the average pony lifespan.) That would mean Ponyville was only founded maybe 60-70 years ago, but given how close it is to Canterlot being that young might still allow them to have the level of civics they do, with well hooved (actually, well bulbed) Canterlot citizens coming in and settling (i.e. that due to it's nearness, Ponyville is sort of like a Canterlot suburb to some residents.) The real problem is that, for ponyville to be old, Granny has to be even OLDER, since she was pretty much full grown when she first came (she looked about AJ's age at the time, so she'd be about her mid 20's in human terms there (I tend to assume that AJ is probably a bit older than the rest of the Mane 6; except maybe Rarity; say the equivalent of 25 to twilight being maybe 22-23.)

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:28 am

I just love this face.
Bark

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:19 am

Did this after watching the episode. :]

"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Great work as always Kusang, I love what you did with the outfit.

I found out about this through word of mouth, its pretty interesting. A stop motion paper pony video. The best part is Trixie's walk cycle, it doesn't look very jerky or unnatural and the guy who made it did it pretty well.

Bark

Postby Lady Haru » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:53 pm

this made me incredibly sad
and yes, it is about the boy who was bullied so badly about being a brony, he tried to take his life (talked about a few pages ago)

i wanted to share it because it's just so touching and makes me feel... so upset...
it seems Pinkie Pie was his favourite pony
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World // Tumblr // Facebook // Steam // Dreadful Comics
Well if I had quotes from others, I would put them here, but I am just another bug in the garden of Snafu.
Is Not Currently Available

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:25 am

I had mixed feelings about Pixel Kitties's post on this. She had this black n white perception that Michael's incident shouldn't have happened in the first place (the current educational system is fucked up as it is). And then she goes on watering down the brony community's efforts to the fund raising as "damage control" even though she appreciates the support. I don't get this girl.

In my perspective, Michael was very fortunate that the brony community responded quickly to his aid. 20k+ in 3 days? Only a handful of victims back then get to receive such a response. I say, keep up the giving spirit, bronies. Not a lot of fandoms do this level of charity -- even the bigger ones.
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:45 am

I swear not a enough people even mention that fact when they bash on the fandom. Yeah we have pretty crappy people in it that tend to be a dash worse than some other fandoms' bad eggs, but knowing there's plenty more that care this much to raise that kind of money over and over again just blows my mind. Why aren't there more freakin banners and appreciation posts on tumblr/facebook/twitter/etc about this sort of thing? It feels like it's swept under the rug quite a lot.
An Optimist

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)