My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby ari-6 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:40 pm

People wish to see Twilight eating a peach?
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Cerulean » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:48 pm

I think it has something to do with that "Tagged Story Abuse" article that was posted on the 18th. The examples he used had Twilight Sparkle Eats Peaches in them. I think people just ran with the idea and started making stories about Twilight eating peaches (or at least that's the impression I'm getting from the comment section).
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Makes sense. Damn these talented trolls.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:42 am

Haven't the slightest idea what that even is. It's just... a story about how Twilight eats a peach? This brings up so many questions...

And agreed. That Luna Micro was so gosh darn wonderful~ It makes me want another Luna episode. Or a Celestia/Luna episode... I want more alicorn sisters screen time!
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby dj1107 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:05 am

I only skimmed through the final micro but I'll just say the variant cover is great
Pizza mozzarella, Pizza mozzarella, rella rella.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:07 am

It gave me a giggle too. And the extra bit at the end was a nice touch.
An Optimist

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:17 pm

St. Sefrol wrote:And agreed. That Luna Micro was so gosh darn wonderful~ It makes me want another Luna episode. Or a Celestia/Luna episode... I want more alicorn sisters screen time!

I want that micro to be turned into a episode. Even a fan production would be great.

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:36 pm

dj1107 wrote:I only skimmed through the final micro but I'll just say the variant cover is great

I bought the Luna comic with this cover. Yeah, coffee good. I also wanted the other variant cover where Luna is wearing some kind of gypsy outfit. It's wonderful.

So apparently Discord was in the intro this whole time. No one has mentioned this until now.

"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:11 pm

Kusang_Manalo wrote:So apparently Discord was in the intro this whole time. No one has mentioned this until now.

Me posting right after seeing the very first episode of the new season all the way back on page 665:

Mad-Mutt wrote:Just finished the episode so I guess I'll share my sometimes random and weird thoughts on it.

First off though if you look good enough, during the new intro you can see Discord creeping around in Fluttershy's cottage through the window... I wonder what he could be doing in there. Dude that's not how you get a young ladies attention, in fact that's the opposite of how you do it...

Well, I guess I'm just a ghost then.

I'm just kidding around. But yeah, I did notice it and I still wonder what he's doing in there. I wonder if he's being...

Bark

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:27 pm

I'm really sorry mad-mutt. There are time I'm oblivious to some of the posts here :<

And I think Discord is more likely jealous Fluttershy gives more attention to Angel than him. He also wants a carrot, you know.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:27 am

Weird Al will forever put a smile on my face~
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:35 am

That very funny. I love it.

Anybody read the luna comic?
Not-an-animator

Postby Grieffon » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:43 pm

The episode was ok. Mane-iac was a great villain.

@kusang:
IDW Luna is best Luna.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:50 pm

I want to start off by saying that in my opinion Applejack had the best costume. The others had sort of a Silver Agey feel to their outfits which is fine, but AJ's is the one that would hold up over time in my opinion. The color and the look are just in all the right places to make a great whole. Also, I think it looked the coolest.

I found this episode a little interesting not for the plot, but for what I think they were trying to establish with it.

As we may have noticed, Spike has been a bit more involved with the adventures lately. In the past seasons they'd rarely take him along because he's a kid, but after the season four beginning, he showed he could stick it out with the more dangerous adventures. I think this episode was sort of a right of passage for Spike, fully welcoming him to the mane 6 team and cementing him as a more involved character in the group.    I also think its clever that the persona he was saddled with was one of those annoying little kid side kicks that we all hated and wished were never apart of our favorite super shows. It gave him some great incentive to NOT end up as one of those and be an actual character. Instead of (insert annoy kid side kick from your favorite show here).   

Its a very simple idea for Spike, but they told it in the weirdest way they could think of, which I like and it kind of reminds me of FLCL.

As for the Maniac, I thought she was a visually pleasing villain. I loved the animation of her hair, I also think its funny how her origin story is some weird combo of    the Joker's and Mask Scara's (PPG)   . I like the way this villain moved and she was very fun to watch. She's about as generic as they come though, but I don't care, her design is nice and even though she doesn't have much personality I still had fun watching her.

A little detail I like is how when the portal opened and Spike was being sucked in and Twilight didn't even hesitate to go after him. Yeah, I know its obvious, but I still like how she'd jump into possible danger with little regard for her own safety to help him. Also, the animation of them being sucked in was funny.

Other things I liked was Fluttershy's power and the shot of Rarity prancing down the stair. I don't know why but I got a laugh out of Rarity when she did that and its always funny to see Fluttershy lose her mind. And holy crap were there some seriously bad puns in this episode. It was both funny and eye rolling at the same time.   

Kusang_Manalo wrote:I'm really sorry mad-mutt. There are time I'm oblivious to some of the posts here :<.

Don't worry about it dude. Everyone was really excited about the knew episodes back then and posting a lot of stuff, so its fine if you missed one or two of them. I was just kidding around.
Bark

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:40 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote:I also think its funny how her origin story is some weird combo of    the Joker's and Mask Scara's (PPG)   .
   with a bit of sedusa thrown in for good measure. They even almost had spike say "So once again, the day is saved thanks to the Power (gets sucked back then)   

The one think I found a little hard to swallow was the sort of deus ex machina explanation for where Spike got the comic in the first place. I don't know which I have a problem with, that Celestia allows a store that sells comics that literally suck you in to exist (after all, what happens if you DON'T or CAN'T finish the plot, are you stuck in the comic book forever. Or what if it's soemthing in the Tales of Terror vein or such (you know a horror comic) do you get in a book that will only let you out when you are gruesomely killed? Not to mention the book dissapearing after you are done with it. Spike presumably paid money/bits for the thing, and if it goes back to the shop when you are done, for the owner to sell again, s/he's basically renting them. Fine in and of itself but if you don't tell the customer that......) Or the fact that magic so powerful could exist on a common level (if there is a shop it presumably has TON'S of such comics. and Twilight have NO IDEA it does (teleportation into an entire virtual world has got to be some serios level thaumaturgy)   

Anyway a picture
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby dj1107 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:21 pm

So how many stayed after the credit for Nick Fury to approach Spike & talk to him about the Avengers Initiative?

That was one out of thousands of jokes I could make about this episode.
Pizza mozzarella, Pizza mozzarella, rella rella.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:28 am

It was a really nice episode in my opinion.    Agreed the reasoning for "why" the book sucked them in was a bit weak   , but overall it was some nice character building for Spike and gave us a tone of facial expressions and    reinforced the "FLUTTERSHY SMASH" meme of comparing her to the Hulk so much.   

Speaking of, we know Fluttershy is the Hulk, Rainbow Dash is Black Volt (interesting choice), Pinkie's the Flash, Rarity is a Green Lantern and AJ is Wonder Woman... But who is Twilight supposed to be? I can't wrap my head around a specific super hero that revolves around different types of beam attacks. Also, it's sort of the weirdest since you'd assume a unicorn/alicorn would be able to use those sort of spells anyways.   

Also, agreed with all the PPG nudges. The villain was just a delight, and she just screamed "Batman villain" up the the heavens.

Mad-Mutt wrote:As we may have noticed, Spike has been a bit more involved with the adventures lately. In the past seasons they'd Its a very simple idea for Spike, but they told it in the weirdest way they could think of, which I like and it kind of reminds me of FLCL.

I kinda want you to go a little deeper on this part. The FLCL comparison intrigues me. Totally far from what I came up with.

Mad-Mutt wrote:   A little detail I like is how when the portal opened and Spike was being sucked in and Twilight didn't even hesitate to go after him. Yeah, I know its obvious, but I still like how she'd jump into possible danger with little regard for her own safety to help him. Also, the animation of them being sucked in was funny.   

Seeing them latching on to one after the other sort of reminded me of the scene in Ganon's CRISIS story where everyone was doing the same. But the animation was so lovely and comical, and Pinkie just jumping in after everyone was a hoot.   
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:12 am

dj1107 wrote:So how many stayed after the credit for Nick Fury to approach Spike & talk to him about the Avengers Initiative

Kinda expected some wiseguy to put a cameo of deadpool pony in this episode-- or at least a Mare do well appearance.

St. Sefrol wrote:But who is Twilight supposed to be?

Maybe Dr. Strange or Dr. Fate?
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:05 am

I wonder if the public ever found out about the true identity of Mare Do Well? And if not, maybe they made merchandise out of her in Equestria, including a comic? That'd be interesting to see in a later episode.
An Optimist

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:39 am

Yes it might. Alternitively we could get the reverse having the Mare Do Well get stuck in the ponies world (if the comic books can such real ponies in, maybe under some odd circumstances characters in the comics can get out. Then you could have a sort of double plot.
On one side you could have the Mane 6 intially unaware of the escape and each assuming that the Mare do well is actually one of the other 5.

On the other you could have the Mare do Well causing havoc in the real world because she doesn't realize that comic book logic and laws don't apply here.

Also it would not suprise me to find out that the writers of the comic book gave mare do well some extra powers to make the comic books more interesting, like maybe the ability not to be seen by others. (personal pecadillo becuse of the hat. While I know it immediately called up Darwing Duck to most people, since I am a big radio buff, it always reminded me of The Shadow, so "clouding men's minds" thing always seemed to make sense. It doesn't actually contradict the "no superpowers" Batman type rule, since it isn't actually a superpower, just a tecnique (some of the intros to the older radio shows actually suggested that, in the future of the Shaow's world, ALL law officers would be able to learn how to do it.)and would certainly make her harder to catch Plus, let's face it, "Who Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Mares" is a pretty good line for the show ;)
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby J-Dude » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Am I the only one who seemed to think Twilight got DOWNgraded when she became her superhero persona?

I mean... now she can fire beams from her horn! Like she could have easily done before?

I mean, I dunno, by the comic's standards, Twilight is a bigger superhero in the REAL world than the fantasy world.

Still... Rarity made for an awesome Green Lantern. I love how easily it came to her, and how each object she willed into being was very distinctly HER.
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Grieffon » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:04 pm

@JD:
Yes, Twilight was definitely downplayed. Can't let her have the action all the time, can we?

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:59 pm

St. Sefrol wrote:I kinda want you to go a little deeper on this part. The FLCL comparison intrigues me. Totally far from what I came up with.

Like I said, I just compared it to FLCL because its a simple idea told in a really over the top way.
Like in FLCL its just the story of how growing and going through puberty can be an unsettling, bizarre, and stressful time, but its told in the most off the wall and abstract way you could think of.

This reminded me of that because to me the whole point of the episode was just Spike becoming like a more official member of the group who might be more involved in the adventures from now on and they wanted to do it without him becoming one of those annoying kid sidekicks and the way they told it was by having the character sucked into a comic book world which is admittedly kind of out of place for the show, but still a fun little idea.

So yeah, a simple idea told in the oddest way you could think of. That's why it reminded me of FLCL.
I guess others would just look at this episode and say its just a superhero episode for the sake of it, but I actually think there was a point to this episode. There were all kinds of ways they could have told a story of Spike wanting to be more involved with the adventures, but they went with the oddest rout they could think of.
I kind of like this way of getting a simple idea across, it makes it seem a lot more interesting and its just a fun way of story telling. So, I probably like this episode more than most would and not just because I'm a superhero fan.

Now, if only we can get a Space Opera themed episode that deals with Spike asking Twilight where babies come from and a daikaiju themed episode that's about Pinkie having to cut down on the sweets and I'll be all set.
Bark

Postby Maru » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:18 am

Okay. Christmas shopping for my sister was a colossal nerve-wracked.

I wanted to get her some pony stuff, because the last time I was at dad's, I was more of a brony than I am now and that somehow got her to like the show. Egads. We go to toys r us because I was buying for like ages 6 and 9 so toys are like a big deal. I got my brother Rex from Toy Story and Skylanders headphones because I'll be damned if I get him a Skylander he already has. Then came my sister's stuff. I tried going in by myself and I was immediately intimidated by all the girlyness. I walk through the aisle and each aisle i passed was griller than the last. I was scared. I was dressed too damn cool to be walking through girly stuff by myself (or something to that effect, mainly i was scared shitless at this point for some reason). I found my mom and dragged her along with me to the pony aisle because I'm a huge weenie and my grandma tags along because one confused adult is NEVER enough. Also, before going to toys r us we went to a walmart earlier in the week and there was a Vinyl Scratch plush. I thought it'd be an easy buy, all she wants is horse toys. Sadly not only did they not have that at toys r us but all their pony stuff sucked. That meant I had to figure out which thing was the least evil thing I could do to my sister at Christmas (ironically I got her Nightmare Moon and some lip balm).

So long story short, I'm a teenaged male dressed in all black and I'm trying to find a little girl toy that doesn't suck as well as explain things bout pastel clydesdales in an aisle I felt like puking in for reasons that didn't even make sense. Thank goodness that's over.
My DA
My Soundcloud (WARNING: May contain flat Japanese singing)
Feathers: hiatus'd
Manly Crust Breather

Postby Tenshi Nova » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:36 pm

Happy birthday Grieffon! :D
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)