My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Grivous » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:57 pm

Gosh. I must say I didn't like this fact of A.K. Yearling being the author of Daring Do's books. I mean, yeah, they could make a ponyfication of J.K. Rowling, no doubts. But they could do that without making her as the author of Daring Doo series! Like, seriously, worst idea ever.
And what the heck Daring Do is connected with HP? Like, nothing?   

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Grieffon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:30 pm

Postby BeeAre » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:21 pm

*cracks neck, watches full video*

Sweetie Belle you are a monster.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:28 pm

Poor Button, he was stripped of his hero moment at the end.
Bark

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:41 am

That was so freakin amazing... Why doesn't Jan work for Studio B exactly? He's like a one man army.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:03 am

I just got back from a episode stream of the newest episode. It was an okay little episode. Too tired to think straight right now.

I will say this:

Good lord be prepared for soooo much Dash/Daring shipping.    It was all the chat room was talking about for more than half the episode.
Bark

Postby J-Dude » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:26 am

So hey! New episode time!

Huh...

So wow, THIS was quite a bit different than I expected.

Here it looked like they were going to get sucked into a book or something, but as it turns out...

Daring Doo is a REAL pony, and A K Yearling is her pseudonym.

...I was expecting subtler... but I can't deny... that's pretty cool :-)

Kinda like how Indiana Jones has his day-job as an archaeology teacher. Oh, and speaking of, great visual gag referencing the Indiana Jones "long distance travel map line dotting its way as they go" thing.

The episode felt a touch... shorter than normal. Probably my imagination.

Still, interesting to see just how Rainbow behaved upon realizing her fictional icon was a real pegasus.

Naturally those moments were... cringeworthy... as she constantly interrupts Daring when she needs to focus, can't help fangirling whenever she's struck by a moment of weakness... which is always.

Which leads to the always terrifying idea of... what if you met your idol, and they found you skull-crushingly annoying?

Well, all the same, this episode had a lot of violence in it. Whether it was Daring beating the hell out of thugs or Rainbow constantly punching herself in the face to not lose her cool, there was a lot of bruising to be had here.

One thing I'll note is how unrealistically useless most of the M6 were when the time came, till the end obviously. They just sit and watch, transfixed by Daring kicking all kinds of ass, and then when she clearly needs help, none of them find the presence of mind to block the guy's escape as he sits there monologuing with his back to the door.

To be fair, Fluttershy brings them out of their stupor, and they go, "oh right, this is a thing that is happening; we should probably DO something..."

What struck me was how how gung-ho Twilight was to argue that they NOT help Daring, Princess as she is, showing no sense of responsibility in stopping a ritual that would bring doom to the world, whether she was suited to the task or not. Look Twi, there's delegating, and then there's doing nothing. You're doing NOTHING.

I did like how she and Rainbow argued by slinging insider Daring Doo facts at each other, sounding like a pair of Trekkies debating Klingon politics.

I wish they'd made a note when Rainbow was sneaking around with Daring of just how... impossibly adverse Rainbow Dash is to camouflage. Just a line like, "I could be holding lit sparklers between my feathers and be less visible than getting tailed by you!"

Also, gotta say, though they addressed how low Dash placed herself in the presence of her hero, I was kinda disappointed in how easily she got nabbed by Ahuizotl. Probably just fanon, but I don't see much excuse for her not being able to tapdance on that phallic-headed motherfucker.

Thankfully she gets to have her hero moment and play even with Daring, (I especially like how Applejack addresses Ahuizotl by completely forgetting how to pronounce his name) and the others do great to keep the henchies busy.

All in all, a fun little episode, and definitely noteworthy. Maybe a little less than expected... hmm... I'll be interested to see the critical response.

Also, than one face Rainbow made... holy shit...   
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Grieffon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:33 pm

Yes?

Postby punzil504 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:39 pm

I'll rewatch it tomorrow, but for now I'm gonna call it the "Double Rainboom" of S4 episodes. Liked the first half, but the second half was kind of "meh."   
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:20 pm

Shipping these two together is going to get pretty popular. Possibly enough to dwarf the Appledash.

Postby Lady Haru » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Seriously, the mane 6 have stopped the return of Nightmare Moon, faught the god of chaos Discord, are the living embodiments of the Elements of Harmony and still they think that they are not on level with Daring Do.... that's some bullshit right there. if anything, Daring Do should be awestruck that the "heroes of Equestria", including a damn princess, have just stumbled in front of her. i don't mean for her to be fangirly like Rainbow was, but she could have been more respectful like "I do know you six can handle yourselves, but this is my fight." but naw, she seemed like she was on such a higher level than them that they couldn't possibly reach her skills. it just didn't make sense - in fact, it was kind of insulting for the mane 6.

there were so many moments that i didn't understand why they didn't step in, i mean it's one thing to be caught up in an almost movie like fight but they really could have blocked the door from those thugs, or perhaps Twilight could decree as princess that she holds them under arrest or something (she has the power to freeze people in time as we saw last episode, that could have kept them), but honestly with all their power they just let the bad guys run off to end the world. this episode. everything was so cringeworthy.   
ImageImage
Tumblr 1 // Tumblr 2 // Facebook // Dreadful Comics
Alopunk - Haru, you are 200% a cutie patootie
Your Queen Your God

Postby J-Dude » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:54 pm

Miss Haruhi wrote:   Seriously, the mane 6 have stopped the return of Nightmare Moon, faught the god of chaos Discord, are the living embodiments of the Elements of Harmony and still they think that they are not on level with Daring Do.... that's some bullshit right there. if anything, Daring Do should be awestruck that the "heroes of Equestria", including a damn princess, have just stumbled in front of her. i don't mean for her to be fangirly like Rainbow was, but she could have been more respectful like "I do know you six can handle yourselves, but this is my fight." but naw, she seemed like she was on such a higher level than them that they couldn't possibly reach her skills. it just didn't make sense - in fact, it was kind of insulting for the mane 6.

there were so many moments that i didn't understand why they didn't step in, i mean it's one thing to be caught up in an almost movie like fight but they really could have blocked the door from those thugs, or perhaps Twilight could decree as princess that she holds them under arrest or something (she has the power to freeze people in time as we saw last episode, that could have kept them), but honestly with all their power they just let the bad guys run off to end the world. this episode. everything was so cringeworthy.   

I hear you there.

To be fair, she only said "I work alone." Whether she had any recognition for them is up in the air, but I don't think she necessarily downplayed them either.

But yeah, I always have to sigh when I see Twilight fail to use her awesome powers... for the sake of the fact that she could solve the entire thing herself with no input from her friends.

The whole time that dude was talking in Daring's house, I was like, "Get behind him... Get behind him... Get behind him... Get behind him... Get behind him... Get behind him..."

Well... I guess that's the better course than to do what, say, Dragonball Z did, and godmod a handful of characters so high up that the only job anyone else had was to provide commentary or play courier with plot mcguffins so they can pretend they still factor into the plot.

The episode DID strike a bit much as, "Oh, the bronies'll eat this shit up!" I mean, the episode is pure unadulterated fanservice. It's appreciated, but I'm not sure how well it works.   
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."

Postby J-Dude » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:36 pm

Oh, and I just remembered...

Did Rainbow ever give her name? Because I don't remember that happening, and Daring addresses her by name at the end.   

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:38 pm

I would guess that Daring either recognized the ponies already and didn't want their help, or from tons of fan mail.   

Postby Grivous » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:46 pm

It's snowing in the forum.

So that means....

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby dj1107 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:44 pm

Soooooo if Daring Doo is real why hasn't any form of athority tried to arrest/imprison that Panther guy?   

Best part of the episode was return of Dashface......Oh yeah I'm back to this thread & I brought JoJo
http://sitting-on-tear.tumblr.com/image/69084567516

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:50 pm

This might be a little crazy to suggest, but does anyone else get the feeling that season 4 is some sort of assault on the fandom?

I seriously doubt that's the intent, but it seems like they are getting a lot of their ideas from there. Which is also raping it at the same time. The first two episodes already knock three fanfics I had planed out.

Postby ari-6 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:04 pm

I really don't think they meant to offend you are any one of their fans. They probably just did not know about you're fanfics. But I don't really know allot about it so maybe I am wrong. Sorry if it sounded like I was presuming too much.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:49 pm

Huh. What is that thought?

I find it hilarious that you guys think this is some 'assault' on the fandom. Have you considered DHX is finally doing what the bronies have been demanding in the past? Your cries have been heard and considered.

Silly people.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:00 pm

"Assault" was probably too heavy of a word. I'm just reading a lot more unhappy people than happy people with this current season. One such example that sticks in my mind the most is this current episode    with Daring Doo being a reality and writing about her own adventures instead of what was in the comics with Twilight Velvet.    The guy I proofread for was not very happy with that, course it took a while to explain the comics and the show don't connect quite like that.

Postby Grieffon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:54 pm

@Blordy
Really? The reaction for S4 so far, from what I have seen, is much better than that of S3.

'Tis a good day for more ponies.

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:35 pm

Ari, I approve of the avatar and now I shall find my own. Might use that knock-off version Tenshi linked in Skype.

Grieffon wrote:@Blordy
Really? The reaction for S4 so far, from what I have seen, is much better than that of S3.

Really? Damn, I must have gotten in with the wrong crowd again.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:44 pm

I know it's of no consequence whatsoever but   when they showed the ring thing in the pyramid, was I the only one who though that it looked like part of the puzzle commonly called a Tower of Hanoi (for those who never have seen this puzzle, it's three poles and a series of perforated disks or rings with each ring smaller than the one below it. The object of the puzzle is to mover all the rings or discs from one pole to another while following two rules 1. only one ring can be moved at a time and 2. no ring can be put on top of a smaller ring) I keep wondering if originaly the writers were going to have the rings be how some passage was unlocked (solve the puzzle, a secret door opens. Or that that is going to be a part of some planned online Daring Do game.   

Postby J-Dude » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:00 am

Wait, when was that said in the comics?

At any rate, I put the show's canon first and foremost, and don't hold it to toeing the line with the comic's inventions.

Barring some conveniences here and there, the opener was one of the best we've had, did some ballsy things, and if not perfect CastleMania was certainly fun and different.

I think it's more like they're taking more chances and tackling bigger stuff. This episode, for instance, feels like what "Magic Duel" was last season. They advanced something that was a hit in a previous season by expanding upon it. If anything, it's fanservice.

Fanfiction is inevitably going to suffer when the gaps in canon start filling in, so theories and speculation get shut down. This doesn't necessarily demean or spit in the face of those works though, nor is it necessary for fanfic writers to stick with the absolute canon uerringly.

My story for example, "Black Equinox," began pretty much after the first season and adapted as the show evolved. Really, I got lucky enough that nothing I did or speculated was entirely thrown out. In fact, some of my ideas even came to being in the show, and I didn't HAVE to make up new elements.

Eventually though, once season 3 hit, I was forced to place my story as a product of a certain place in FIM continuity. It was ALWAYS going to be an alt-Universe story, but now it was officially branching off from the canon, in a way that said that everything in FIM is legit, but in this Universe things went differently at this point in the timeline.

Actually, it's offered me the chance to INCLUDE elements from later seasons that wouldn't have appeared in my continuity under normal circumstances. For example    In a later chapter, I actually found a use for the Mirror Pool, a la "Too Many Pinkies" as an element in my story long before it would have been brought up in the series normally. It actually afforded me a way out of an issue I'd been struggling with in the planning.   

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:23 am

Not getting that feeling at all either, Blordy. With the first 3 episodes it's just felt like a lot of world building, and it's been wonderful. Whoever you've been talking with about all this seems a bit more negative than need be. Definitely a plus compared to last season by leaps and bounds.

But...    This latest episode. Wow. Far from what I expected, but not in a good way at all. Really, as people have said before it can get rightfully cringe-worthy. It felt like the "second premiering of Discord/Trixie" episodes from season 3, but with a lot more noticeable fanservice feel to it. Up until they reached DD's home and after RD rescues her from the piranha trap it did pretty well. But that darn second act was a train wreck in my eyes. Daring Do really was put on such a high pedestal just like the cast said RD was doing, but story-wise that's what the writers did as well. The Mane 6 weren't well utilized in the second act, and RD's fangirling to such extremes as well as not being all that useful to DD even in the slightest gave me a big "ehhhh" feeling. This sort of thing, a main character meeting an idol and them thinking they're annoying, has been done. It's not a bag thing, it's just been done better. Mainly since we know RD is a lot more compitant than what she showed in the second act, as well as everyone else. It still was cute, but not something I'd probably enjoy rewatching.   
An Optimist

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)